New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default where can I find the information for ritual spells?

I think I have made a big mistake. A cleric gets ritual casting. Divine soul sorcerers get to use cleric spells. I have dipped to into life cleric to get more healing spells and all it gives me including ritual casting. With that assumption I thought I could do all ritual spells clerics could do. Identify is one but today I noticed it was a forged and knowledge domain only instead of a cleric. I can cover my mistake with my new level because I get a feat and can take ritual caster the feat. I think I messed up but I am not sure since I can cast divine spells with divine caster.
    Last edited by Naknakthebedshe; 2019-09-23 at 12:51 AM. Reason: correcting sorcerer subclass

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: where can I find the information for ritual spells?

I don't have my book open, but I believe the way it works is as follows:

Divine Soul add all cleric spells to the sorcerer spell list. They still count as sorcerer spells. Sorcerers can't do ritual casting.

Clerics can use ritual casting for any cleric spell they have prepared, if that spell has the ritual tag. Certain domain get spells that aren't normally on the cleric list (e.g. Knowledge domain and Identify), and furthermore these always count as prepared, so you can always cast them via a ritual.

As you can see, these two features shouldn't interact with one another at all. Learning a spell from the cleric list as one of your sorcerer spells doesn't qualify it for the cleric's ritual casting feature, as it is a sorcerer spell, not a cleric spell. Clerics also need to have a spell prepared in order to cast it as a ritual, so you can't cast just any ritual cleric spell.

What you're probably thinking of is the wizard. Wizards also get ritual casting, and don't need to have the spell prepared. They only need to have the spell in their spellbook. Getting the Ritual Caster feat mimics the wizard's way of casting rituals, allowing you to cast any spell in the ritual book without needing to have it prepared. Tome warlocks can also get an invocation that works like Ritual Caster, but for all spell lists instead of just one.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Yea, that's why I think I can fix my problem with ritual caster: wizard. Taking both identify and alarm. I am pretty much the party's utility caster and healer.
    Last edited by Naknakthebedshe; 2019-09-23 at 02:02 AM. Reason: just needed to add more.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Ritual Caster (wizard) is a good way to fill in a lot of the utility spells if you don't have a dedicated arcane caster. Sorcs are arcane casters, but don't get a lot of spells, and Divine Souls in particular will find themselves split between sorcerer and cleric spells, which means even less arcane spells. Really, nothing beats a wizard when it comes to utility casting, but between being a sorcerer and having Ritual Caster, you'll get pretty close, and sorcerers can do a lot of cool things, too.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    I don't have my book open, but I believe the way it works is as follows:

Divine Soul add all cleric spells to the sorcerer spell list. They still count as sorcerer spells. Sorcerers can't do ritual casting.
    Not exactly. Divine Soul allows sorcerer to pick specific cleric spells and add them to the sorcerer list for that character. They don't get blank access to the whole list.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Not exactly. Divine Soul allows sorcerer to pick specific cleric spells and add them to the sorcerer list for that character. They don't get blank access to the whole list.
    They do add all cleric spells to the sorcerer spell list though basically. Of course sorcerers can't cast all the spells on their spell list, only the ones they know which are restricted as normal (which I don't believe they implied otherwise).
    Last edited by Contrast; 2019-09-23 at 08:00 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Contrast View Post
    They do add all cleric spells to the sorcerer spell list though basically. Of course sorcerers can't cast all the spells on their spell list, only the ones they know which are restricted as normal (which I don't believe they implied otherwise).
    They don't. DS pick, say, Cure Wounds from cleric list. Cure Wounds is now sorcerer spell for him. He can cast it himself, or use a scroll if he finds one. If he find a scroll of Bless, he can't read it, because Bless isn't on sorcerer's list. It's on cleric's list, but DS doesn't have access to cleric list, only to sorcerer list.
    Last edited by JackPhoenix; 2019-09-23 at 08:11 AM.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I lack the int to take ritual caster wizard so I have to sing for my supper aka ritual caster bard.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naknakthebedshe View Post
    I lack the int to take ritual caster wizard so I have to sing for my supper aka ritual caster bard.
    You only need either INT 13 or WIS 13 to take Ritual Caster. As long as you have one of those two, you can take it for any of the classes listed. If you can take Ritual Caster (bard), nothing is stopping you from taking Ritual Caster (wizard). Now, having a low INT will affect spell attack rolls and your spell save DC, but I'm having a hard time thinking of times this will matter for ritual spells.