Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 114
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    The Haunting

    Welcome to your third scenario of Call of Cthulhu, the Horror/Investigative roleplaying game of mystery wherein you, an ordinary person, shall encounter and confront the terrifying alien forces of the Cthulhu mythos. Now that you've gotten some experience under your belt concerning freeform investigations, we will enter into our first cooperative scenario. This is still something intended for a beginner, but this is also one of the more physically challenging beginning scenarios, but nevertheless, it is time to begin... welcome, to The Haunting.

    One important thing you have to keep in mind is that certain sections I may only show to either of you, for example, if/when you split up I may spoiler off certain pieces of text, if you happen to go insane, I may split up certain pieces of text. Basically, whenever you are not seeing the same thing, I will split up pieces of text.

    ----
    Spoiler: Felix Autumn
    Show
    Arkham, 4:32 PM, October 3rd, 1921

    You've returned. As you exit the motor-coach things seem... normal. Everything is seemingly peaceful within the city of Arkham. Your mind cannot help but go over the events of the last couple of days. While surely not as harrowing as what might have happened in Emberhead, one thing is for sure, the world is not just for humans. However deep this rabbit hole goes, you're unsure, but nevertheless, diving down it shall be a tale for another day, at least, definitely not today.
    You push the door to your apartment open and arrive inside. It's refreshing to be in your bed once more, and you feel at home.

    Arkham, 12:32 PM, October 5th, 1921

    You're sitting on the quad. It's a wonderful day outside and the leaves are falling off into piles that the collegiate crowd seems to be all for playing around in. It strikes you once more how old you feel compared to them, despite the actual difference. You're startled when a voice calls out from above with a prim and proper English accent. "Professor Autumn, I presume?" You look up to see an older professor whom you don't recognize, he's perhaps in his late-fifties, bald but with a mustache to ensure that he does not look improper (imagine Alfred, but a professor).


    Spoiler: Evan Grant
    Show
    Arkham, 4:32 PM, October 3rd, 1921

    You've returned. As you exit the motor-coach things seem... normal. Everything is seemingly peaceful within the city of Arkham. Your mind cannot help but go over the events of the last couple of days. While surely not as harrowing as what happened in Emberhead, one thing is for sure, the world is not just for humans. However deep this rabbit hole goes, you're unsure, but nevertheless, diving down it shall be a tale for another day, at least, definitely not today.
    You push the door to your apartment open and arrive inside. It's refreshing to be in your bed once more, and you feel at home.

    Arkham, 11:18 AM, October 5th, 1921

    It takes some time, but you eventually find yourself back in the monotony of normal life. After what you experienced and saw, you're intrigued. There is more to this world than you know, and although all of your previous studies have shown otherwise, the world is much larger than it initially appears. As you're examining samples from Dr. Schroeder's patient, you cannot help but wonder of the other beings out there, what could the world contain...
    Your reverie is suddenly interrupted when Dr. Lattimer, a pediatrician, asks for your assistance with a patient. Complying, you quickly rush over to see what is the issue. "Why, did I not make myself CLEAR?" A rather large and man with a ornately groomed mustache says as a pretty young girl, perhaps around sixteen years of age, who seems slightly apologetic at her (presumably) father's response. "I have traveled all the way Bennington to receive the best possible health care for my daughter, now where is the hematologist you discussed?" Dr. Lattimer gestures to you.
    "Splendid." The man nods in your direction, extending a strong hand as he does. "I am Lucas Strong, and I am told that you are one of the hematologists that seemingly very few other hospitals seem to have a department for?" He looks directly at you, these are the eyes of a man who commands respect.
    ----

    Please give me an Know (Education) roll.

    ----

    I know this might sound weird, but unless the other player's character can observe what you're doing (so like here) please answer in a spoiler as well. This is just in order to help with the realism (and in a game like Call of Cthulhu, where so often things are different from person to person, this can be incredibly important.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-29 at 07:54 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2019

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    "Er, yes. I'm Dr. Grant. Is this your daughter?"
    (1d100)[87]

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    That's right, though I am sorry, you have me at a disadvantage mister...

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Disclaimer that as we play more and more, I may be edging into historical themes as well. I wholeheartedly disagree with the premise that anyone should be treated with hatred or fear due to the color of their skin, their gender, sexuality, et cetera. However, certain NPCs may not share the same opinion as I. This will not be overt in either this or the next couple of scenarios, but it is something that I feel I should note in the future. If I do ANYTHING that you begin to feel uncomfortable with for any reason, please privately message me that you simply "feel uncomfortable" (no reason necessary) and I will change or remove whatever portions necessary to ensure that everyone has a fun and enjoyable time.
    ----

    Spoiler: Felix Autumn
    Show
    The professor gives an ever-so-slight British smile and says, "I am Professor Wentworth Avebury, in the languages department, and I was wondering if you could be of some assistance." He notes that "I understand it is not exactly proper to ask for help, but I am afraid, I have encountered something slightly of my normal depth, and I am not too foolish to request assistance. You have been doing quite well here at Miskatonic, and you made waves, my good sir."
    He pulls out a small journal written in Latin. "I managed to translate much of this journal, but I am afraid that I need someone in the... anthropological field to help me examine it. I haven't had too much training with ancient cultural behaviors myself, and let us just say that Dr. Keating is... Irish."
    You gather that the animosity is not really due to racism but more two intellectuals with opposed political viewpoints (whose conversations most likely degrade into debates, making it impossible to accomplish anything). "So, could you possibly come to my aid?" He looks down at you appraisingly, how do you respond?


    Spoiler: Evan Grant
    Show
    The man, crushes his hand into a fist and notes, "Why of course, my pride and joy, Jane, Jane Strong." Jane simply smiles, almost like this entire thing is rehearsed. "I demand only the best for my daughter, and I have been informed that St. Mary's is on the forefront of hematological research."
    You're rather surprised by this fact, while this is true, most people don't really care too much about a hospital's advances in one particular field. "Therefore, I entrust you, Dr. Grant, with my daughter's blood for analysis. I want to ensure that there are no possible diseases that have been unnoticed by others in the more varied specializations." He nods towards Dr. Lattimer who hands you a sample. "Splendid, you have exactly what you need, I trust that you will do such work well. Make sure that this is done, and done quickly."
    After that, he boldly stands up, looming over you and gives both you and Dr. Lattimer a firm handshake. "Well, gentlemen, it was a pleasure meeting, you, and thank you again for accepting my humble request." He flashes a smile as, while facing ahead, he gestures, "Jane, we are ready to depart."
    Instinctively the young girl sits up and walks off, trailing in her father's wake. Once they're out of sight, Dr. Lattimer comments that Lucas Strong is the head of the Vermont Water Board, a rather powerful man whom nobody would want to upset. He wishes you luck and departs to deal with another patient...
    ----

    Admittedly there is not a direct "What do you do next?" question here, it's more how would Dr. Grant react through this whole "exchange?" Would certain things be different?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-30 at 09:37 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2019

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Dr. Grant simply nods along with Mr. Strong. It was just a concerned parent doing his best to make sure his daughter stayed healthy. A respectable, if a bit expensive, goal.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Evan Grant
    Show
    Sounds good!
    ----

    You return to your work with the new samples from Miss Young, and it doesn't take too long to begin analyzing the young girl's blood. It seems to clot normally and there most certainly appear to be no blood-related diseases. As far as your specialty goes, and in your expert opinion, the girl appears to be in perfect health.

    Arkham, 3:35 PM, October 7th, 1921

    You reenter the walls of Miskatonic University and head towards room U35. You boldly head on in through the doors and see the other three members of the society around the table, discussing. "I wonder how the doctor fared?" Professor Jones wonders aloud. Speaking of which, Jessie looks up and sees your approach.
    "Dr. Grant! Splendid to see that you made it, now how'd everything go with Mr. Kimball? Did you find out what happened with the books, or his uncle?" Once more everyone seems to be awaiting the news with bated breath.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-30 at 10:40 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    I would be happy to help a fellow professor, Felix stands up before continuing, May I see the text in question? What exactly do you know about it?
    Last edited by ACExtravaganza; 2019-09-30 at 09:46 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Felix Autumn
    Show
    Professor Avebury (not Abernathy, my apologies) carefully produces a small book from a protective box, it looks rather old, and in poor condition. "They say that Fiorelli managed to uncover this in his exploration of Pompeii." The title reads Fabula Quinti Tullii, which you quickly translate to be roughly The Story (Tale) of Quintus Tullius. "It seems to detail the daily life of the fifth son of a family. We currently have it on loan, but it details certain Roman customs that I am a bit... unfamiliar with." He nods towards you, "And that, good sir, is where you come in."

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    I would be happy to take a look at it, Felix puts on a pair of gloves before reaching for the book to inspect.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Felix Autumn
    Show
    Professor Avebury nods and departs, wishing you the best of luck. Based on a simply analysis, it's nothing too special, but it does corroborate several current theories about Roman life and culture. Nevertheless, it is certainly a very interesting read.
    ----

    Please give me a Other Language (Latin) roll to see how much you comprehend.
    ----

    Arkham, 3:35 PM, October 7th, 1921

    You reenter the walls of Miskatonic University and head towards room U35. You boldly head on in through the doors and see the other three members of the society around the table, discussing. "I wonder how Felix fared?" Professor Jones wonders aloud. Speaking of which, Jessie looks up and sees your approach.
    "Professor Autumn! It's mighty fine to see that you made it, now how'd everything go with Mr. Kimball? Did you find out what happened with the books, or his uncle?" Once more everyone seems to be awaiting the news with bated breath.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2019

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    "Oh, everything was more or less resolved. Turns out the uncle was the one stealing books. All in all, it was only somewhat strange." Dr. Grant decided not to tell them about Douglas' transformation, mostly because he didn't know anything about it.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Evan Grant
    Show
    The trio look intrigued by this fact, "Oh my, gone for a year or two only to return? Mighty strange indeed." You discuss the investigation a bit more amongst the other members. Eventually, the conversation turns, as Professor Jones notes how he's off to investigate a new archaeological dig site, and hopefully bring everything back to a museum...
    "After all, that's where it belongs!" He's also planning on cataloging his discoveries and submitting them to the "Society's Logs" (a rather unofficial report of whatever expeditions they go on). The meeting concludes and you all head out yet again to continue your lives.

    Arkham, 5:25 PM, October 12th, 1921

    You happen to be conversing with Rupert again, it's a pleasant time at the same cafe as you had been to nearly a month prior. Things have changed considerably. You have a job, you have some friends, you feel... like you belong. Anyway, Rupert continues his conversation. "And so truly, this revolutionized the development of Egyptian mythology and the occult forever. The cult of Aten, one of the first major monotheistic religi- *COUGH* *COUGH* religion *Cough*..." The coughing fit then stops as he politely holds up a napkin up to his mouth, he doesn't want to get a doctor sick after all. "I'm dreadfully sorry, I think I've come down with something..."
    ----

    Please give me a Medicine roll.
    ----

    The conversation eventually concludes pleasantly and Mr. Merriweather departs.

    Arkham, 3:38 PM, October 14th, 1921

    Talking amongst the members of the Society, there is suddenly a knock on the door. The two students look rather confused, but Professor Jones gets to his feet and opens boldly proclaiming "Wentworth! You made it!"
    An older gentleman stands at the door, British, bald, but with a gentleman's mustache. He looks over the room and simply comments, "Hmmm... intriguing. Are there more, Nevada?" He looks towards Professor Jones who quickly shakes his head. "Well, that is fine. Greetings. I am Professor Avebury, languages is my forte, but I've recently been intrigued by several of your... discoveries, and, given that my Fridays are free, I felt that maybe I should join your little... society."
    Both Lois and Jessie immediately introduce themselves, with Jessie shaking his hand eagerly. "It's just fine to make your acquaintance Professor. I was looking to maybe take some of your classes soon." Lois simply nods and introduces herself curtly.
    Professor Avebury then turns towards you, "Greetings, sir. I do not think you have the look of a... student about you, so I apologize that I do not recognize you in the slightest, but what might be your name?"

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2019

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    "I am Evan Grant, hematologist at St. Mary's. You are right, I don't attend classes here, but I'd been invited to join the Society by a former member. What in particular made you want to come here?"
    (1d100)[26]

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Evan Grant
    Show
    You've succeeded in the Medicine skill!
    ----

    The cough that Rupert Merriweather had, seems much more severe than he's letting on. You would presumably try and press him about it, but he assures you that "Oh, don't you worry Dr. Grant, I'm getting treatment from the best, they are your coworkers after *cough* all!" He gives you a weary smile.

    (Back to "present" time)

    Professor Avebury gives a polite and proper smile, "Well, again, I'm a professor of languages, and I was loaned a rather intriguing book from the time of the Roman Empire that left me with several... questions. Nothing truly fascinating, mind you, but it made me think of this "club" and I thought that this could be an interesting use of my free time."
    The group then continues into another discussion where Jessie comments about her American History class and how fascinating it was back in the late-17th century. "Why, Professor Leiter, gave one of the best lectures, I've ever seen! It was quite a fine one, comparing the developments women have made, specifically referencing the Salem Witch Trials." The conversation then takes a turn towards colonial America and what things about its history could still be uncovered (Lois comments that she considers the new field of "Revisionist History" to be really interesting).
    ----

    Would Dr. Grant make any comments during this discussion? Or does he have any more questions he'd like to ask?

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2019

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Dr. Grant would like to know what revisionist history is. It sounds controversial.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Evan Grant
    Show
    Lois describes the idea as "Something a bit-uh, fringe, ya' know? But-uh, take my family, immigrated in 1882. Where's our side of the story in the history books?" She scoffs, "Biased, if ya' ask me."
    ----

    For reference, I do understand that the real "Revisionist History" movement started up after WWII, but I presume that immigrants or other members of more marginalized communities would want their side of the story shown no matter what.
    ----

    The discussion continues, until eventually, Professor Jones concludes with his report on the archaeological dig that occurred last week. Apparently, he and his group managed to gather some interesting finds, from a Native-American burial ground, and as he shows pictures of them he notes that "The remnants belong in a museum, of course, so we'll be sending them down to Boston sooner or later."
    Finally, once more the meeting in concluded, as your small group has grown a little bit larger, and a little bit more varied.

    Arkham, 12:27 PM, October 18th, 1921

    You receive a telegram from Mr. Strong thanking you for the prompt report. It gives you a slight sense of pride to feel approved of in such a manner. Nevertheless, it's back to work, the pride is nice, but you need more to make your family proud.
    ----

    Again, just sort of general reactions to all of this. Does this all make sense? How's it going? How does Evan react to all of this?

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2019

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Everything's fine. Grant's happy he could help. He is slightly wishing he could have a proper week off to just do whatever he wants, though. Investigating spooky things is not the best vacation.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Evan Grant
    Show
    Luckily, he's informed that the hospital is doing some restructuring in your department, so you'll actually be getting some time off in a couple of weeks, maybe around a week or so (huh, convenient)!

    Arkham, 4:15 PM, October 21st, 1921

    You're discussing the newest report, apparently, someone from Danvers, a town an hour's drive or so out of Arkham, has reported that they've discovered a book in a language they don't understand. Immediately Professor Jones proclaims, "Why Wentworth, this would be the perfect opportunity to go! This is right up your alley, and I know that you just joined our society, but it's almost a rite of passage to go investigate something strange, eh?" He nods towards the non-professors in the group.
    Lois nods, "I don't see too much trouble there, pick up tha book, check what's goin' on, and ya' done!" Professor Avebury looks, rather, befuddled by this whole scenario. To try and encourage him, (although success seems rather unclear) Jessie chimes in.
    "Why professor, you'll be able to observe the truths that God made for only his most trusted to find! It'll be a truly miraculous experience." You're not sure how spiritual Professor Avebury is, but you're not sure if a "miraculous experience" will persuade him. The professor holds his hands up in protestation.
    "Look, I have not truly done too much exploration and such. In addition, I have only been a member of this 'society' for barely a week. I appreciate all of your respective statements of... enthusiasm. However, I am wary of taking on such a mission." He then pauses and looks towards you. "Dr. Grant, what do you think?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-01 at 04:47 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2019

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Dr. Grant is flustered at having the spotlight shone on him like that, but he replies. "I've only been a member a couple more weeks than you. Still, I think Lois is right. It's a book in a town an hour away; not exactly trekking a jungle. If you can't identify the language, just take it back here to do more research."

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Evan Grant
    Show
    Professor Avebury nods appreciatively. "That is a fair assessment Doctor Grant, thank you for your input." He then looks towards the rest of the group. "Well, it seems I shall endeavor to venture out after all." He also quickly adds in "Maybe this will offer some credence towards the supernatural, who knows?"
    With that discussion concluded, the society turns towards another discussion. This one interestingly happens to be led by you, concerning the discovery of A, B, AB, & O blood types (plus +/-) and what that means for blood transfusions and medicine as a whole. The entire group is incredibly intrigued, and they leave having learned even more about the world around them.

    Arkham, 1:30 PM, October 26th, 1921

    The head of your department, Dr. Windsor, informs you that you'll have from a nice bit of paid leave from the 31st to the 4th of November (and then, of course, you don't work on the weekends) as long as you finish analyzing all of your samples by the 27th.

    Arkham, 3:05 PM, October 27th, 1921

    You've managed to finish everything, and things are looking rather nice. It seems like you'll have a calm relaxing 9-day break, and you could really use a vacation of some kind. You've been working hard, just like Father, and while the investigation into the Kimballs was... interesting, it also was rather stressful and intense. Would you really want something like that yet again? These are the thoughts buzzing through your head as you happen to notice someone else... someone whom you haven't seen before, walking towards room U35.
    ----

    I have absolutely no idea who this could possibly be! However, let me know if this all works out and then we'll actually be done with the prologue part. I hope that the one-month time skip made sense and was a least a little bit interesting to RP through. If you have nothing that you'd like to add, that's fine too, because for now we're just going to wait for the mysterious person to reach the point where they're entering the room.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-02 at 07:57 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[89]

    No word on Douglass unfortunately, but the books were being stolen by a simple robber who I managed to scare off. Felix doesn't like lieing about what he found, but after doing so to the junior Kimball what else could he say?

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Felix Autumn
    Show
    The tome simply discusses daily life. You help Professor Avebury with the details and eventually return it.

    (Back to present time)

    The trio look slightly dissapointed by the fact that it was more mundane than initially thought, but nevertheless, you succeeded. "Well, at least you scared off that burglar, but strange 'bout the uncle. Mighty strange indeed." You discuss the investigation a bit more amongst the other members. Eventually, the conversation turns, as Professor Jones notes how he's off to investigate a new archaeological dig site, and hopefully bring everything back to a museum...
    "After all, that's where it belongs!" He's also planning on cataloging his discoveries and submitting them to the "Society's Logs" (a rather unofficial report of whatever expeditions they go on). The meeting concludes and you all head out yet again to continue your lives.

    Arkham, 5:25 PM, October 12th, 1921

    You happen to be conversing with Rupert again, it's a pleasant time at the same cafe as you had been to nearly a month prior. Things have changed considerably. You have a job, you have some friends, you feel... like you belong. Anyway, Rupert continues his conversation. "And so truly, this revolutionized the development of Egyptian mythology and the occult forever. The cult of Aten, one of the first major monotheistic religi- *COUGH* *COUGH* religion *Cough*..." The coughing fit then stops as he politely holds up a napkin up to his mouth, he doesn't want to get a professor sick after all (since how easily things spread at schools). "I'm dreadfully sorry, I think I've come down with something..."
    The conversation eventually concludes pleasantly and Mr. Merriweather departs.

    Arkham, 3:38 PM, October 14th, 1921

    Talking amongst the members of the Society, there is suddenly a knock on the door. The two students look rather confused, but Professor Jones gets to his feet and opens boldly proclaiming "Wentworth! You made it!"
    An older gentleman stands at the door, British, bald, but with a gentleman's mustache. It's Professor Avebury! He looks over the room and simply comments, "Hmmm... intriguing. Are there more, Nevada?" Only for his eyes to fall upon you. "Professor Autumn? I am quite surprised to find you here." He then looks towards the other students. "Well, I believe introductions are in order for those who do not know of me. Greetings. I am Professor Avebury, languages is my forte, but I've recently been intrigued by several of your... discoveries, and, given that my Fridays are free, I felt that maybe I should join your little... society."
    Both Lois and Jessie immediately introduce themselves, with Jessie shaking his hand eagerly. "It's just fine to make your acquaintance Professor. I was looking to maybe take some of your classes soon." Lois simply nods and introduces herself curtly.
    ----

    So, how does Felix respond to all of these different events? Is there anything I should note? Anything you don't think would happen?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-02 at 12:30 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Other than Felix showing his surprise that the other professor is here, I think there would be no objections or interjections. Perhaps some concern about his friends cough, but that probably doesn't need to get acted out.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Felix Autumn
    Show
    You quickly try and make sure that hes doing ok, but he assures you that "Oh, don't you worry Professor Autumn, I'm getting treatment from *cough* the best." He gives you a weary smile.

    (Back to "present" time)

    Lois happens to ask, So what brought you into this little club of ours, Professor?
    Professor Avebury gives a polite and proper smile, 'Well, again, I'm a professor of languages, and I was loaned a rather intriguing book from the time of the Roman Empire that left me with several... questions. Nothing truly fascinating, mind you, but it made me think of this "club" and I thought that this could be an interesting use of my free time.' He then smiles in your direction, silently thanking you for your assistance with the aforementioned book.
    The group then continues into another discussion where Jessie comments about her American History class and how fascinating it was back in the late-17th century. "Why, Professor Leiter, gave one of the best lectures, I've ever seen! It was quite a fine one, comparing the developments women have made, specifically referencing the Salem Witch Trials." The conversation then takes a turn towards colonial America and what things about its history could still be uncovered (Lois comments that she considers that history is always told from the side of the winners, and that someone really should begin telling the other side, maybe like a revisionist version, or something). Jessie also happens to mention that Professor Leiter is taking several students on a trip with him to Salem to learn about these, and she'll happily note her findings for The Society.
    The discussion continues, until eventually, Professor Jones concludes with his report on the archaeological dig that occurred last week. Apparently, he and his group managed to gather some interesting finds, from a Native-American burial ground, and as he shows pictures of them he notes that "The remnants belong in a museum, of course, so we'll be sending them down to Boston sooner or later."
    Finally, once more the meeting in concluded, as your small group has grown a little bit larger, and a little bit more varied.
    ----

    Would Felix make any comments during this discussion? Or does he have any more questions he'd like to ask?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-02 at 07:55 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    None that come to mind immediately.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Felix Autumn
    Show
    Arkham, 3:28 PM, Oc

    You finish your class. It was decent, although it certainly is a great deal more work than expected. The students are quite bright, and increibly eager to learn, but that does take a toll on you, always having to maintain such enthusiasm as well. Luckily there's going to be a quarter break in a few weeks, so hopefully, that will allow for you to have some much needed time off.

    Arkham, 4:15 PM, October 21st, 1921

    You're all discussing the newest report, apparently, someone from Danvers, a town an hour's drive or so out of Arkham, has reported that they've discovered a book in a language they don't understand. Immediately Professor Jones proclaims, "Why Wentworth, this would be the perfect opportunity to go! This is right up your alley, and I know that you just joined our society, but it's almost a rite of passage to go investigate something strange, eh?" He nods towards the you and the students.
    Lois nods, "I don't see too much trouble there, pick up tha book, check what's goin' on, and ya' done!" Professor Avebury looks, rather, befuddled by this whole scenario. To try and encourage him, (although success seems rather unclear) Jessie chimes in.
    "Why professor, you'll be able to observe the truths that God made for only his most trusted to find! It'll be a truly miraculous experience." You're not sure how spiritual Professor Avebury is, but you're not sure if a "miraculous experience" will persuade him. The professor holds his hands up in protestation.
    "Look, I have not truly done too much exploration and such. In addition, I have only been a member of this 'society' for barely a week. I appreciate all of your respective statements of... enthusiasm. However, I am wary of taking on such a mission." He then pauses and looks towards you. "Felix, what do you think?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-03 at 01:38 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2016

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the first thing this society had me do was go looking into something, it shouldn't matter how new a member you are, but how interesting you find the goal. I imagine translating a new book would be high on your list of things you enjoy.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Felix Autumn
    Show
    Wentworth nods appreciatively. "That is true Felix, I do wonder at what things this tome could help me discover. Thank you for your input." He then looks towards the rest of the group. "Well, it seems I shall endeavor to venture out after all." He also quickly adds in "Maybe this will offer some credence towards the supernatural, who knows?"
    With that discussion concluded, the society turns towards another discussion. This one interestingly happens to be led by you, discussing the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and their history. The entire group is incredibly intrigued, and they leave having learned even more about the world around them.

    Arkham, 1:30 PM, October 26th, 1921

    It's your second to last day before the break, and you cannot help but feel anxious. In addition, though, what could the Society have in store for you at the next meeting?

    Arkham, 3:05 PM, October 27th, 1921

    Your final class is done. Now you have a full week off for yourself. Some of it will of course be spent attending conferences and the like, but overall it seems like you'll have a calm relaxing 9-day break. You've been working hard, and while the investigation into the Kimballs was... interesting, it also was rather stressful and intense. Would you really want something like that yet again? These are the thoughts buzzing through your head as you happen to notice someone else... someone whom you haven't seen before, walking towards room U35.
    ----

    I have absolutely no idea who this could possibly be! However, let me know if this all works out and then we'll actually be done with the prologue part. I hope that the one-month time skip made sense and was a least a little bit interesting to RP through. If you have nothing that you'd like to add, that's fine too.


    As the doctor and the professor reach towards the door there's something, a jolt of sorts in the back of your minds. Something is not right here, and yet, you feel as if you know this person, while at the same time you swear that you've never seen their face before. Eventually, the two of you sort out the door issue and enter the room. "Professor Autumn, Dr. Grant, great to see that you both have made it!" Professor Jones boldly proclaims as you enter the area. As the professor finishes his declaration, the sudden realization flashes before your eyes. Of course! Dr. Evan Grant, the hematologist, and Junior Professor Felix Autumn of Anthropology, how could you forget? And yet, something is... off.

    You take your seats, the weird feeling in the back of your head does make you wonder about how you forgot about each other, but you shake it off, you both started coming here around the same time, it was just a minor slip in your cognition. As you sit down, Professor Avebury enters clutching a rather large sheaf of papers. "Well this is truly fascinating!" He immediately proclaims as he places the sheaf down upon a table. "The tome was interesting of course, and has been added to Orne, but nevertheless I was able to take some notes." Everyone looks incredibly intrigued by this fact.
    "It seems that the book is actually a journal of sorts, but written by an Egyptian scribe, bound in Rome, and subsequently partially translated into both Latin and the vulagte. (you both know that vulgate is basically the local language of whatever territory in the Roman empire one was a part of) It spells some truly interesting details, especially concerning trade amongst the Roman and Egyptian empires. The owner was frightened, of course finding a book such as this one inside of her attic, but there was nothing to be afraid of." He smiles as his piece is done.

    There's a short round of applause for the Professor's findings.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2019

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Dr. Grant grins and tells him "See? Hardly an adventure at all."
    Last edited by UselessBlob; 2019-10-03 at 07:45 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: ACExtravaganza's and UselessBlob's The Haunting IC

    Professor Avebury shrugs, but thanks Professor Autumn and Doctor Grant nonetheless. "True, yet I cannot help but wish there was a bit more to this than what there truly was, but alas, one cannot change such things."
    Lois looks around realizes that she's starting to be bit out of place. "Hey, jus' wanted to mention 'ere, this ain't a history club, we've got places for ya', but between the archeology, classics and language, and anthropology, plus another history student. No 'fense 'course, but..." She gives Dr. Grant a wink, "Seems we're a bit outnumbered, doc."
    Everyone chuckles at this statement, as Professor Jones adds in, "Ah, well, I can't deny that, maybe us history folk just feel inclined towards the explaining the unexplained." He nods towards the doctor, "I mean no slight of course, Doctor Grant, anyone could be an investigator searching for answers in this little world of ours."
    Jessie plays miffed, "Why, Lois, I most certainly did not expect such harsh words." The group erupts into laughter at Jessie's performance. "Why, Professor Autumn, can you believe this?"

    EDIT: Added in the other NPCs, and Prof. Avebury's initial statement to reflect Felix's assurance.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-21 at 04:12 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •