Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default DominoMasque's Paper Chase OOC

Greetings DominoMasque, and welcome back to the world of Call of Cthulhu, a world of horror, mystery, and wonder. Here you shall take on the role of an intrepid Investigator of the Unknown (or Investigator for short), while I shall be the Keeper of Arcane Lore (or the Keeper).

Now that you've understood the basic rules and themeatic aspects of the game, having played the introductory adventure. Prepare to journey onto your first freeform scenario -- Paper Chase! This is a mystery set in 1921 where you are the main character. For the purposes of guiding you, I may very rarely make small notes at the bottom of my posts, but these will be far more rare than before, so I hope you're prepared to think for yourself!

Anyway, without further ado, tuck yourself in, grab a bowl of popcorn, and join the In-Character!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: DominoMasque's Paper Chase OOC

I realize I should ask this just for reference. What Call of Cthulhu scenarios have you played in before?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    I realize I should ask this just for reference. What Call of Cthulhu scenarios have you played in before?
    Ummm? I'm not sure of the names...

Played a few in Gaslight (I think Yorkshire Horrors, something that heavily featured faeries, and one involving standing stones and travelling between gates a lot)

Played a modern game - think it was mostly the Nocturnum campaign, not sure if a few other scenarios were sprinkled in and among?

Also did a couple of shorts that are probably irrelevant - Dark Ages Vikings and Achtung Cthulhu!

Ironically I don't think I've played very much 1920s - I think my group did a game while I wasn't attending due the birth of my daughter, some of the Gaslight ones may have been converted - our GM for that one has a degree in history and works in a museum so she adjusted stuff a fair bit to make it fit her sense of historical accuracy).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now, I have a quick question for you to answer: What emotion best describes Jacqueline? Find one primary emotion she expresses. Try to use a colorful, specific word to describe it. For instance, instead of “angry” you might say “vengeful” or “raging,” or instead of happy you might say “cheerful” or “exalting."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Does "Inquisitive" qualify as an emotion, if not "Frazzled" in a sense of barely contained frustration.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sounds good, inquisitive is fine! What about emotions that Jacqueline makes others feel? So that covers the next question: What emotion does Jacqueline evoke in others? How do others react to her? Does she impress, scare, calm, excite, or perhaps annoy? Again try to find the most specific term you can. Is this reaction different between his friends and enemies? If so, what is the difference, and why is that difference there?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-08 at 10:33 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Hmmm, intimidated? that's not quite evoking what I mean.
    Jacqueline is like 5'2 and pretty slim and feminine, no-one's actually scared of her, but she has a certain drive and light in her eyes that makes people think twice. Anyone actually in opposition to her is probably more annoyed than scared though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Maybe... unnerved? They're not frightened per se, but they might be put off by her passion and drive?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Psychology (70) (1d100)[58]
    Idea (Hard-40) (1d100)[21]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DominoMasque View Post
    "I'll head down to the newspaper office and library, see what I can dig up there."
    Erm... which one first? For now, in order to push things along, I'll assume that you meant the first one you listed first, so newspaper office. If this is not what you wanted, just let me know.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-09 at 05:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Yes, sorry - that's fine. I think I did originally write then, but it sounded wrong as part of conversation and I forget to add in some clarity.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Intriguing, I see, now what about what Jacqueline needs the most? If she had everything she needed, why go on an adventure? Most people’s needs are fairly universal, although they can change over time. Common needs are survival, security, companionship, esteem, romance, family, or wisdom. Consider what Jacqueline's starting needs are, and where you want them to be by the end of the semi-campaign. This is not a goal (so it shouldn't be like "She wants to help people"), but something she needs (maybe instead, "She needs to help people so that way she feels validated as a human being" or "She needs to help because she's addicted to the rush she gets from people thanking her" these are two wildly different needs, but they emerge from the same initial goal). For example, someone might start off with a basic need for physical security, but then that expands into companionship and security in one's relationships, etc...