New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Sorcerer and Mother Cyst

If a sorcerer take the Mother Cyst feat (from Libris Mortis), did he add all the necrotic cyst spell to his spell know, or did the feat only give that he can chose the spell in his normal spell know list?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Sorcerer and Mother Cyst

I doubt it. From what I remember, the Necrotic spells don't care if you have a cyst for knowing them, but you can't cast them unless you have a Mother Cyst in you, since it's a focus for the spells.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

I believe that it adds spells to your spell list, not spells known, so you can use wands and scrolls freely, but have to burn spells known to learn them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Let's see...

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-...Mother_Cyst,LM

It says explicitly that "you can cast these spells" and even has a note about preparational spellcasters knowing the spells inherently. If Wizards don't have to scribe cyst spells into their spellbooks, Sorcerors probably don't have to take up "Spells Known" slots.

Besides, aren't the Sorcerors poor enough already without us making them spend a spell per level to get any benefit from a feat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Pretty sure a sorcerer would know these spells, since it doesn't say add these spells to your list - it says that "you may cast these spells like any other spell that you can cast".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

AssassinGuy

...whoa.

Man, that feat is craaaaaazy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Just to note, you must take Arcane Preparation, or some other Feat that lets you prepare spells, in order to qualify for Mother Cyst(or Corrupt/Sacred spells, for that matter). All of them specify the need for the spell to be prepared.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    Just to note, you must take Arcane Preparation, or some other Feat that lets you prepare spells, in order to qualify for Mother Cyst(or Corrupt/Sacred spells, for that matter). All of them specify the need for the spell to be prepared.
    Where does it say that?

(if you are a caster who prepares spells, you can prepare all necrotic cyst spells without referring to a spellbook, as if you had the Spell Mastery feat for each such spell).
    Emphasis mine. It's just specifying that cyst spells don't take up space in the spellbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.