New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF II

Blaze nodded and followed along with the rest of the pack. Truth be told he was a bit disappointed that they wouldn't be creating another Essence fountain, but he also understood the need to make sure their gifts would not be taken for granted.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

King Sky Hunter was a powerful spirit, and had been making no attempt to its recent path. Following the tingling musk of bird dander, and the metallic odor of rusted harpoon blades, The Anchor Wolves travel South away from the locus. Cobblestone and concrete give way to a rocky and sandy shoreline. Small choruses of lesser spirits explode into the sky as the Uratha come bounding down the beach, chittering and cawing and screeching as they scrabble to get away from the apex predators.

A few kilometers down the shore, the sky is split by the thunderous caw of King Sky Hunter. It's black silhouette soars across the sky, momentarily eclipsing the grey light of the Hisil's sun with it's massive wings. King Sky Hunter cries out again, the power of its voice suddenly filling the sky with dark clouds. Still circling above, the mighty falcon spirit calls down the the Anchor Wolves, "Uratha, are you following me?" it's voice still powerful against the ocean winds.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna had wandered how easy it would be to track King Sky Hunter down, especially if he wasn't interested in talking to them for some reason, but they could hardly miss that silhouette.

She'll answer and try to stay appropriately respectful. 'My apologies. Another pack of Uratha has entered our territory without asking. We figured that if they have crossed over, if anyone might have seen some sign of them it would be you.'

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"We seek your guidance, Great King Sky Hunter," Blaze added, "as you are aware, we are preparing to strike against our mutual enemy, but we must secure our flanks first. Only then will the time be right for us to strike, and hopefully break our prey."
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Joanna and Blaze's reports seem to give the falcon spirit pause. Though Sky Hunter does not dive bomb the group, the spirit stops spinning its lazy arcing circles and glides down to land with a splash of sand and small rocks. Chest puffed out and neck craned, the spirit says with rising seriousness, "That makes a lot of sense. I have heard rumors of terrible new spirit that has seemingly come into these lands for no reason; a powerful spirit, cruel and of the chorus of pure hate." King Sky Hunter seems ready to go to war, it's massive wingspan spread out proudly.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2021-07-23 at 05:39 PM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna glances at the others, 'And that's all it takes?' Who the hell were the other pack to have created something like that. 'We have to deal with it right? Or will chasing these idiots out of New Bedford be enough by itself?'

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    Joanna glances at the others, 'And that's all it takes?' Who the hell were the other pack to have created something like that. 'We have to deal with it right? Or will chasing these idiots out of New Bedford be enough by itself?'
    "Great King Sky Hunter, the powerful and evil spirit you speak of, is it the Idigam, that marshals its strength from the depths and is centered around the island not far from here?" Blaze asked, "or is it another, different spirit?"
    TC for short

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I answer Joanna on the side, "Depends on the nature of the threat. Frankly the possibilities within the spirit realm are almost limitless, so its difficult to say for sure."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

King Sky Hunter shakes its head in a motion that may be trying to clear it's feathers but may be providing a negative response. "It was in the form of a giant raging wolf, burning with fire and dripping molten silver," the spirit says, its glowing yellow eyes suddenly turning black as coal. As if it were necessary, Sky Hunter adds, "The spirit was no Idigam, it was a totem spirit to another pack of Urathas... like your deplorable The Reveler In the Vineyard."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"Great," Blaze muttered, "just what we need..."

"Thank you, King Sky Hunter, for this valuable information," Blaze said, "we'll have no choice but to address these trespassers before taking on the Idigam. Your knowledge of your territory is unparalleled, do you know where they make their den?"
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-07-24 at 11:18 AM.
    TC for short

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    "It was in the form of a giant raging wolf, burning with fire and dripping molten silver,"
    Well, that settles that. Joanna wonders how a thing like that would smell. Burnt hair? It might be difficult to hide itself assuming it was even interested in trying. It would also be nice to think that it couldn't easily sneak up on them. To Bear, 'One problem at a time then.'

King Sky Hunter describing the Reveler as 'deplorable' was amusing. Maybe he would have gotten on with the protestors.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Blaze's compliments make King Sky Hunter puff its chest out with pride. The mighty spirit bows its head in gratitude. King Sky Hunter replies to the question, turning it's head towards the North West, "The spirit seems to have made a territory out of the castle of stone and books. I suspect it's Uratha allies are in that space on the other side of The Gauntlet as well."

Blaze and Bear had been throughout the Hisil long enough to know that the "castle of stone and books" was likely the spirit world's equivalent of U-Mass Dartmouth, the local state school.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"Thank you, King Sky Hunter," Blaze said.

He turned to Bear.
    "What's the play?" he asked.
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear considers, "The more aggressive play would probably be to go straight for the totem. Attack and destroy it or drive it away. That should weaken this other pack and make them easier to deal with."

"But that would probably also nix whatever chances there are of a diplomatic solution. For that we should approach them on the other side, sounds like they might be at Umass..."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ettin in the Playground

'I've only driven past there but a college isn't exactly private. Maybe that's an incentive for them as well though. They're less likely to get violent if we're in the middle of a crowd of students.'

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'I've only driven past there but a college isn't exactly private. Maybe that's an incentive for them as well though. They're less likely to get violent if we're in the middle of a crowd of students.'
    “We should play a gig at the school and send them backstage passes,” Blaze said.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    “We should play a gig at the school and send them backstage passes,” Blaze said.
    'Heh, I like it. Just as soon as we get some names to send them to. I wonder if any of them are actually students?'

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Kara shrugs, "So... back to the Flesh to snoop around U-Mass Dartmouth?" She smirks at the insolence of her question.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna smiles back, 'Back to school. Maybe it'll fun. If anyone asks we're looking for a venue. Or maybe some of us are taking classes.'They might attract attention as a group but there were likely to be enough people around at a college that they could blend in. 'Question is, what are the chances they know about us already? Would they have heard about the whole plague spirit thing?'

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Too bad" Jeremy comments "I was kind of hoping to see what it's like to destroy a totem. I'm not really into the whole diplomacy thing, since they invaded our territory. If we must resort to going back to the flesh, maybe I can work with Databolt and hack their records. Who ever they are would be recent students, staff or teachers, right?"

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ettin in the Playground

'If you can do that. Maybe they have their address on file somewhere.'

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Joanna smiles back, 'Back to school. Maybe it'll fun. If anyone asks we're looking for a venue. Or maybe some of us are taking classes.'They might attract attention as a group but there were likely to be enough people around at a college that they could blend in. 'Question is, what are the chances they know about us already? Would they have heard about the whole plague spirit thing?'
    "I wouldn't be too surprised if they've at least found signs of us," Kara says flatly, as if the thought hadn't bothered her, "I mean, we set up ritual claims to the the territory all over." She gives Bear a warm **** eating grin and adds, "And this one can't stop marking every few yards. He says it's an Alpha behavior... but I think it's his prostate."

After she has given Bear a chance to reply, Kara becomes more serious. "Anyway, if they've been around for any length of time, I bet they at least know that another pack has already laid claim to the area," she says, turning to senior peers Blaze and Bear for agreement. "As much as I love going in with a wild battle howl, if we are heading to the college campus, it's best we do this smartly. I suppose I look young enough to pose as a college student." She gives the group a wink, bringing her hands up to frame her face in a cutesy manner that would be appropriate for an anime character, before twisting her face into a punk's sneer and putting up devil's horns on each hand.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ettin in the Playground

'Well, when you got to go, you got to go. My Dad's the same way.' Joanna replies with a smile at Kara. 'You're probably right about playing student, but you can get away with a lot if you have enough confidence and look like you belong. You'd be surprised at how many places I've gotten into while pretending to be delivering something.'

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear growls playfully back at Kara at the jab. "Anyways, yeah, there's almost no chance they haven't noticed they've invaded another's territory. The only question is their intentions and what it will take to get them out."

"I can't claim to be happy about just talking to them, but I suppose we should give them one chance. Lets all head onto campus together, maybe have Kara snoop around and ask questions in the less public spaces."

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bear having spoken, and a decision being reached, The Anchor Wolves said their goodbyes to King Sky Hunter. The mighty falcon spirit ascends back into the clouds as the the Uratha head back to the cannery locus. The transition back into the Flesh is jarring as always; surreal colors and ethereal fog banks giving way to the grounded grey world of New Bedford.

It was a little before noon by the time the Anchor Wolves piled back into Pine's Winnebago, the rusted van coughing up smoke as they drove inland towards the college campus. Relative to New Bedford, North Dartmouth was town of wealth and privilege; summer homes for wealthy retirees wearing polos and pastel colored shorts. But the campus of UMass Dartmouth was secluded from these manicured suburbs by an encircling wall of forest. The campus itself was mostly a giant circle of grass field, connected by roads and dotted with buildings mixing post-modern and industrial architecture.

The Anchor Wolves drive the Winnebago around the winding road, following the signs for the visitor parking lot; a small strip of tarmac. Though the van is the only car in the lot, there is a group of tie-dye garbed long haired students, actually playing hacky sack. As the Anchor Wolves pile out of the van, the group of four students stop their "game" to stare with open mouths at the punk rockers now in their midst. One of the students, an overweight kid in jean shorts and an oversized Phis T, takes a step towards the van. With a pudgy hand he pushes back his greasy shoulder length blonde hair and calls out, "Yo! Uh, can we help you guys, or something?"
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"Ah, my kind of people," Blaze thought as he spotted the tie-dye.

"Hey man, cool shirt," Blaze said, "we're the Anchor Wolves. Any idea who talk to about playin' a gig here?"
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ettin in the Playground

Before they leave New Bedford Joanna will ask any Uratha who might be staying behind to phone them if they saw or smelt anything unusual. The prospect that the other pack might show up here while they were out was worrying.

In the winnebago she'll put her foot up and spend some time on her phone looking for maps of the college. There was probably an admin building or a student bar somewhere where they could start their hunt.

The college itself was annoyingly beautiful, 'This place looks expensive.' She will have the window open in the hope of catching a scent, and when they get out will take an occasional sniff without trying to make it too obvious that that was what she was doing.

Spoiler
    Show

Looking for unfamiliar uratha

Wits 3 + Composure 3 + 1 for Hishu
    (7d10)[2][1][2][9][6][8][6](34)
    Any 10s
    (7d10)[8][5][10][10][6][1][9](49)
    Exceptional success for three successes because of Honed Senses

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear lets Blaze handle the questioners while he looks around. Chances are if they were holed up here there would be traces...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    wits+composure (5d10)[8][7][3][1][2](21)

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The kid in the Phis shirt looks at Blaze with a raised guard as he approaches. "Thanks man," he says noncommittally, seeming to grow increasingly uncomfortable. He adds, "Sorry man, but never heard of ya. Are you guys like a local punk rock band or something."

Another kid in the group, one in a knit hemp hoodie calls out, "Hey man. Ya, they're like that new band that played at The Pour Hut the other weekend. I heard about them from Benny."

Phis shirt still does not seem impressed, but offers a "cool" (also echoed by hemp hoodie), before saying, "I mean, I assume you'd have to talk to the administration or something if you wanted to play here."

While Blaze is talking to the students, both Joanna and Bear put their noses to the wind. It isn't hard to pick up the familiar and feral smell of several new Uratha, though Joanna picks up on it faster. She could point in the general direction of where the smell is growing stronger, North East of where they had parked, on the other side of the campus, and could probably begin to track that smell closer to their new prey.

Phis shirt chortles, and pointing at Joanna and Bear says, "Yo, are your friends okay?"
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2021-08-06 at 11:01 AM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna will quietly ask Bear, 'You smell that?'

She'll call out to the kid in response, 'I'm ok. Just a little carsick. You know how it is.' She's not particularly bothered about what he thought of her, but there was no point in attracting attention if she could help it.