New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF II

Blaze crossed over, intent on speaking with some of the deep sea spirits.

He found a likely candidate and knelt down nearby.
    "You're from the Deep, aren't you my fishy friend?" he said, "why have you come so close to shore?"

"What is down there, in the Deep?" he asked.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna will watch the locus for a few moments in fascination. There wasn't really anything on the other side that compared to it, and there was the fact that she could perceive the thing at all. She clearly wasn't using her regular senses. Afterwards she'll try and get a closer look at some of the sea spirits. Assuming they didn't object to her curiosity. As she waits to see if the spirit responds to Blaze, 'If the Idigam's chasing things away, what else is up here? Would anything like that want to talk to us?' Joanna can imagine larger fish spirits floating in the air just as these smaller ones were.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

After pulling himself through the Gauntlet into the Shadow, Blaze marches across the yard towards a small school of spirits that have fled the now Uratha infested area immediately around the Locus. The weakest of the spirits are little more than motes of dark orange light, though there are a few more formed creatures. The leader spirits appeared as fish covered in spiny fins and shiny hard scales. Wide mouths that extended nearly halfway down the length of their thoraxes opened into a maw of spindly hooked teeth. But Blaze had chosen this chorus because the stronger spirits all had milky wide eyes, lacking pupils, determining that these spirits were out of place.

As Blaze approaches, the school floats backwards but does not flee. Once Blaze is about fifteen feet away, the largest of the deep sea spirits pushes to the front of chorus, it's fins bristling out, it's maw opening to flash it's long hooked teeth in warning. "Stay back Half-Flesh" the thing roars, its voice like the crashing waves of the ocean.

"You're from the Deep, aren't you my fishy friend?" he said, "why have you come so close to shore?"

"What is down there, in the Deep?" he asked.
    The leader was about the size of a football, not measuring in the length of its fins, and was clearly no match for the Uratha, but still it held its ground before Blaze. It hissed, "Stay back, promise to stay back and maybe we'll tell you!" Though it was unlikely the spirit had ever seen a child of Father Wolf before, it had clearly heard of the Uratha, and knew an apex predator when it saw one!
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze stops and waits for the spirit to respond. He wasn’t going to bother these spirits unless they became aggressive first. He wondered if there was anything for them to eat around here... it wouldn’t do to have them run away from whatever was down below only to eat bad essence and go mad.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-02-19 at 05:33 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Seeing that Blaze is making no attempt to approach the spirits, the big fish replies, "A terror. It is a terror down in the waters. A father of monsters! An abomination even more offensive than you half-fleshes!"
    Show

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"What does it want? Is it alone?" Blaze asked.
    TC for short

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear quietly mentions to the newcomers as Blaze negotiates. "He is something of our spirit master. We all deal with spirits, but they are his specialty. If you have any troubles along those lines, make sure to consult him."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna is amused at being referred to as an 'abomination' by a sea spirit and decides not to take it personally. To Bear, 'That's good to hear.' She was glad someone could claim to be an expert.'Should we take 'father of monsters' literally? Does this thing have kids?'

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The spirit seems to tremble, the spines of its ragged fins shivering and rattling loudly. "It has... it makes children; unnatural violations of the natural order. They prowl the water's depths. They devour the weak and poison the waters." As the deep sea spirit speaks, its chorus of lesser spirits begin to chitter and moan, creating a growing atonal racketous din. The leader speaks up boldly, "That is all I will say. My tribe have suffered enough, I will not torture them more."

(OOC: A gathra or successful social interaction roll will be needed to get anything more out of the spirit)
    Show

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna will suppress the sense of being out of her depth and will get closer. Despite the context and the language she was using here it was just talking. 'Well speaking for myself I don't want to torture anyone.' Joanna will get a little closer and kneel down in turn to show that she meant them no harm. 'You may not like us but we're on the same side here. That thing has already killed one of us. We'd like to stop it if we can. Can we help you out at all?'

Spoiler
    Show

Social roll to be reassuring

Presence 3 + Persuasion 2 + Striking Looks 1
    (6d10)[3][1][3][10][2][3](22)
    any 10s
    (6d10)[6][8][2][4][7][9](36)

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze waits and watches to see if the spirit responds before saying anything.
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Silence Pup!" the fishy monstrosity hisses, seeming to expand as it bristles it's many boney spines, "I said we are done." At first the spirit floats towards Joanna (though it's fins never move) as if it were preparing to attack, but then it simply turns around and returns to it's school of fish spirits. The many floating balls of Essence, and even those formed enough to resemble fishy apparitions part out of the way of their lead, and many begin to fall in line behind it.

(OOC: Spirit resistance of 3, + 1 dice bonus for Joanna's Renown/spirit rank bonus, but -1 for striking good looks not having any effect on spirits leads to 0 successes. However another player can make another social attempt at -1, offer a Gathra, +/- activating your Renown at a cost of 1 Essence to apply a potentially beneficial condition)
    Show

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“Wait! We are caretakers in this place,” Blaze said, “is there essence here you can consume to continue growing strong?”

The last thing they needed was a bunch of deep sea spirits going crazy and attacking everything in sight...
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-02-23 at 10:12 AM.
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna will try to avoid flinching in front of the others as the spirit starts to move towards her. She wasn't exactly worried but there was a lot of these things here. 'I apologise.' She'll try to sound contrite.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

In what might be the closest equivalence to "off handed" for a floating fish spirit, the elder replies, "We are used to struggling for a morsel of food. We shall persevere. We shall survive."

(OOC: Really? No second attempt at a social maneuver or offering a Gathra? TC if you are stuck for ideas for a Gathra, I could have you roll Int + Occult)
    Show

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear looks to Blaze, trusting him to salvage this if anyone can. Of course he wasn't entirely sure how much more information they might get from these things.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    In what might be the closest equivalence to "off handed" for a floating fish spirit, the elder replies, "We are used to struggling for a morsel of food. We shall persevere. We shall survive."

(OOC: Really? No second attempt at a social maneuver or offering a Gathra? TC if you are stuck for ideas for a Gathra, I could have you roll Int + Occult)
    Blaze

“Wait, oh stalker of the depths. We do not know one another, but we have parlayed and bartered with the spirits of this land in the past. If there’s anything else you can tell us about this Idigam or it’s spawn, it will help us overcome it or drive it off so you might return to your natural hunting waters, if that is your desire. Does it have any weaknesses? We would be willing to trade for especially useful information or more direct assistance if you’re willing,” Blaze said.

Spoiler
    Show
    int + occult for possible Gathas: (9d10)[5][3][4][9][9][5][7][10][2](54)
    9 again: (9d10)[3][7][1][6][7][1][5][1][8](39)
    Presence + persuasion: (4d10)[3][3][10][4](20)
    10 again: (4d10)[4][4][1][6](15)
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(OOC: I count three successes on the Int + Occult roll)

Blaze had been so close to it the whole time. The thought occurs to him that the thing this chorus of fish spirits needs more than anything else is likely an "edible" source of Essence. Though it might be enough to simply clear the gathered spirits away from the Locus and let the deep sea spirit and it's chorus feed, it would likely cause problems with other spirit groups. But if Blaze offered to make changes in the physical realm that would produce a small stream of Essence for the deep sea spirits, it might go over well, even if it was slightly more work.

(OOC: 1 success on the persuasion roll)

The leader of the deep sea spirits turns back to face Blaze, it's interest piqued. "I do not treat with the Half-Flesh... normally," the spirit croaks, "but if you help us safely feed, and do as you have promised to remove the abomination, than we can help you. I know not of the Idigam's weakness, but... well we can show you where it makes it's nest, and where it spawns its unnatural childer."
    Show

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“Guiding us to Idigam’s lair would be helpful and we will gladly give you shelter in the meantime,” Blaze said with a nod.

“It shall be done,” Blaze said, “I will fashion a small haven in the physical realm that will create a stream of essence you and your brethren can safely feed from.”

Blaze is thinking a small, dark stream or pool would do.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-02-27 at 05:53 PM.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    " I know not of the Idigam's weakness, but... well we can show you where it makes it's nest, and where it spawns its unnatural childer."
    Either we kill the Idigam or it kills us. Maybe the spirits would be OK with either outcome. Joanna will keep quiet about her suspicious to be diplomatic.

Assuming this thing was living underwater Joanna was honestly curious how that worked over here. Would they even need to breathe?

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The massive blind fish shivers, its dorsal fins folding back, its scaly puffy lips pulling back into a facsimile of a smile. "Very well then Uratha," the deep sea spirit growls, "then you have yourself a deal. Once you have secured for us a source of nourishment, we shall... I shall take you into the black and take you to the nest of the Idigam."

Unless anyone speaks to it further, the head spirit bows its head, ventral fins splaying out flat, before turning and leading its chorus away.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear laughs a bit as the deep sea spirits leave. "Well then, guess we've got a bit more work to handle. What do you think would work best for that essence stream?"

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Bear laughs a bit as the deep sea spirits leave. "Well then, guess we've got a bit more work to handle. What do you think would work best for that essence stream?"
    'What would they eat? Do we need to find them a river?' This seemed to Joanna like it would make sense but maybe she didn't even need to be that literal.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeremy offers "I'm not sure how it works for your territory here, but back home we'd put some kind of living, healthy environment in the human realm - ponds with plants and animals, a redirected stream with spawning fish, free-form gardens, etc. - that grows and feeds the Hisil. Being salt water, maybe some kinds of seeded oyster beds or geoduck farms, in a dedicated tidal pool for them?"

25. - Top - End - #835
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Blaze put his knowledge of geomancy to good use here.

“Yeah man, all those things are good,” he said, “but we gotta remember these guys come from down deep where there’s no light, so it’s gotta be dark all the time. On top of that, we can’t just build a little thing and expect the Essence to flow off the bat. It’ll work a lot better if we kick start it with a ritual, usually we use a jam session, to get it moving.”

“After we build it I mean,” he added.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ettin in the Playground

'So...we need to get some instruments in here. Sounds fun.'

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Yeah, but that's just the finishing touch. It sounds like we'll need to dig out an underground water cave of some sort first. That's not gonna be the easiest thing in the world. Cost of doing business sometimes though."

"Anyways, we're here to figure a few things out a bit closer to home. What else do you guys need to know?" Jeremy, you've taken Luna's oath yes? How about telling Joanna about it?"
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-03-03 at 06:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ettin in the Playground

That sounded like a lot of work, 'Ok then. If it's important. Maybe we get those other guys over here to help us out. Unless you have to be Uratha to cross over?' Wasn't there six of them? Although from the sound of things Joanna didn't want to ask Kara to do anything she didn't want to do.

She had a vague idea about the Oath, 'Rules to live by right? I know there's one about us not hurting each other. What else is there?'

29. - Top - End - #839
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Yeah, but that's just the finishing touch. It sounds like we'll need to dig out an underground water cave of some sort first. That's not gonna be the easiest thing in the world. Cost of doing business sometimes though."

"Anyways, we're here to figure a few things out a bit closer to home. What else do you guys need to know?" Jeremy, you've taken Luna's oath yes? How about telling Joanna about it?"
    Nodding the slim man takes her aside and quietly explains the details of the Oath. [B]"It's actually not too complex. Our natures as Uratha are dual - both intellect and instinct warring for dominance inside us. The Oath demands our responsibility and fealty to balance our natures to best protect our truth, our Pack and ourselves from both becoming the ravening, uncontrolled beasts that our spirit selves strive for, and from losing our inner nature and becoming mundane - almost human. Our duty is to be the guardians of the separation of this world and the world of flesh. Committing to the Oath is more to guide us in controlling our natures, and you'll find it essential in finding the critical balance needed to keep our warring natures in check. "
    " I grew up with my sire and dam telling me all about them, preparing me for my first Change and giving me the tools to control it. The Oath runs on seven principle laws. Breaking any of them will cause your own nature to rebel, so it's not as if they are enforced from any authority other than what you are."
    He then goes into detail on the seven principles and what they mean for her path forward.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

'The one about respecting your elders may be a problem. Can't say I've ever paid attention to it among humans.' Admittedly there was a lot more she didn't know here. 'These guys seem cool, but it's not like I've met every Uratha in Massachusetts. Maybe the rules are only aspirational? Seems sensible. I don't have to swear a blood oath do I?'