New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF II

Juno's eyes flash in rage and her jaws snap furiously like a rapid animal as she barrels toward the plague spirit, the clear target for her unbridled rage. Saltwater and filth shakes off her as she does, staining a trail beneath the werewolf as her feet beat against the ground.

Her keening howl cuts off as she reaches her foe and lashes out, intending to latch onto him and never let go.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bite and grapple He Who Obliterates (2L) in Gauru
    (10d10)[10][3][7][10][8][8][9][6][2][4](67)

Potential exploding 10s: (6d10)[4][1][4][2][1][1](13)

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Juno's fangs sink into the bone and sinew of Obliterates' lower right hind leg, and the spirit begins kicking and bucking to try to free itself of the Uratha's jaws.

(OOC: HWOB's applied defense of 10 lower's Juno's dice pool to a chance dice which still rolls a 10! Juno's bite does three bashing damage. Irrelephant, I need you to roll Str + Brawl for the contested grapple. I think we should assume Juno is in Urshul, unless you accounted for something different, which means she gets a +2 bonus for her form. Please also declare what grapple result you want if Juno wins, and I will roll contested strength here (15d10)[3][6][2][3][10][2][1][3][10][10][3][7][4][7][4](75). I think everyone will recommend if you win taking away the spirit's defense, which would lead to an all out massacre. I won't resolve the rest till you roll this... and maybe consider a WP, as winning this would be pretty big for the pack.

EDIT: And holy ****, Juno only needs three successes to beat HWOB!!!)

Michael tears into the pack of Beshilu with renewed abandon. Within a few seconds the swarm has been thinned into non-existence, as the dog spirits race to chase down the last few fleeing stragglers.

Despite the waning conflict, Michael knows he still needs to find enemies to fight; his rage fueling him to keep going, keep attacking, keep killing. This was Gauru, and this was what it meant to be Uratha!!!

(OOC: Just to be clear, that last bit is just flavor as M experiences the rush of being Gauru in combat for the first time. We can call this combat resolved)
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-08-09 at 09:56 AM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #483
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Urshul braces her hindlegs against the ground as the spirit writhes in its desperate attempt to get free. Juno's forelimbs scratch against He Who Obliterates Breathing as they scramble for purchase while her jaws tighten like a vise, attempting to hold him in place

Show
    Contested grapple:(9d10)[9][4][6][3][7][4][3][5][8](49)
    If she wins, she'll hold HWOB in place to take away his defense

Potential exploding 10s:(6d10)[9][6][6][2][7][9](39)

Edit: Ah damn, forgot about the willpower
    Last edited by Irrelephant; 2020-08-09 at 07:25 PM.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

He Who Obliterates breathing bucks and kicks, trying to escape Juno's bite. The spirit's flailing limbs nearly lift the dire wolf off her feet, but Juno spreads her limbs and flattens her belly against the ground wrenching hard with her neck. The maneuver nearly topples the plague spirit over, forcing it onto it's knees for a quick moment so that it is unable to use its legs to defend itself.

(OOC: Juno spends a WP and miraculously wins the grappling match, removing HWOB's defense for the round!!!)

Solomon was a wise fighter and a ruthless killer. When a prey was weakened, Solomon was normally the first find his prey's weak spot and sink his jaws into it. The Gauru moved quickly along the flank of the spirit and ran his claws through the thing's neck, striking where normally vital blood vessels would be. But this abomination had no blood vessels, no vital organs. Solomon's claws simply rip out more corpus from the giant spirit's form.

(OOC: Solomon's roll wasn't so hot and he only does 5 bashing. It is now Bear's turn)
    Show

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Even in the grip of Guaru, Bear is having a tough time keeping his focus. Juno was back, her familiar presence on the battlefield a comfort to revel in. And yet, that smell. Her smell was wrong, she was wrong, alien, other. Her smell marked her as an abomination just as surely as when the Beshilu had defiled Iago's corpse and made it walk again.

At the least though, she was not the enemy to kill, not now.

Bear leaps for the neck as well just after Solomon. He decided to aim higher though, in hopes that the spine amounted to something important to the spirit.

Show
    defense down for the round, fingers crossed we can properly exploit it.

(11d10)[9][7][9][6][9][6][7][5][1][9][7](75)
    eight again (11d10)[2][4][6][8][9][6][4][1][9][10][6](65)

And that is six successes by my count, nice.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-08-10 at 03:30 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Blaze drew upon essence to shift faster trying to take advantage of the spirit’s momentary weakness and attack it’s legs so it couldn’t rise again.

Spoiler
    Show
    spend essence to shift to the big wolf form (Urshul?) and all out attack:
    Str 2+form 1? +all out attack 2 + brawl 1 +wp3: (9d10)[3][2][1][3][1][10][8][4][3](35)
    (9d10)[5][1][6][2][7][2][10][7][3](43)
    +2 lethal I believe
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The plague spirit suddenly immobilized, the Anchor Wolves fall upon their weakened prey. The once terrifying intruder who had brought near pandemic level illness on New Bedford is reduced to little more than a shrieking and bleating animal that kicks and curses as the Uratha tear mercilessly into its corpus. The assault is a sweet chorus of bones snapping and lupine growls that rise in volume as the spirit's screams wane. The ground quickly becomes soiled in a shallow river of gore coagulating bodily fluids. But even as He Who Obliterates Breathing's body withers, it's Essence continues to burn bright, illuminating both sides of The Gauntlet.

Even the least educated member of the pack understands the choice before them. Having completed the Siskur Dah, The Anchor Wolves have laid claim to the complete and utter annihilation of this spirit, and with this, the right to feed upon its very Essence. Even Father Luna had known to only use this right sparingly, but the Anchor Wolves know that if they don't eat all of Obliterate's Essence, the spirit will be able to return.

Spoiler: OOC: All must read
    Show
    So the Anchor Wolves have successfully done enough damage to discoprorate the spirit. However, it still has a massive amount of Essence left, which means that it can actually regenerate within the Hisil overtime. Successfully completing the Siskur Dah means the Anchor Wolves can eat this Essence, outright killing Obliterates at the cost of suffering a breaking point towards spirit.

Alternatively, with the runes of warding in place, they can choose not to pursue this avenue and instead await it's return, knowing that it must return in this circle, and perhaps bind it or do something else to it in the future
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-08-11 at 03:21 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just in time, Bear had reached his limit in Guaru, and quickly shifts back down to Dalu as Obliterates begins to disintegrate. Whirling around, he moves to stand in between the pack and the thing that looked like Juno.

"You! Who are you?! You who wear the face of our fallen sister!"
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

9. - Top - End - #489
    Dwarf in the Playground

The she-wolf whines piteously as it transforms back into a woman. "Me... I... I'm Juno? Don't you recognize me?"

"It hasn't been that long since I was... Since I've been..." she trails off, confusion on her face. "Since I've been gone."
    Last edited by Irrelephant; 2020-08-13 at 05:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Some of the tension leaves Bear, but he does not drop his guard. "It has been three weeks since Juno disappeared. Since we found traces of her having been dragged into the sea."

"Yes, we recognize you, but you are also different. Your scent is changed, and just look at your side."

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze watched the interaction between Bear and Juno carefully...
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

12. - Top - End - #492
    Dwarf in the Playground

"This... I don't remember this," she continues in that same confused tone of voice. Saltwater drips from her matted hair as she pries at her side, eyes widening at the sight of her wounds and the barnacles

"What happened here? What did this? I just... I don't remember anything. I was just there, and so angry, and that thing was about to hurt you."

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear glances at Blaze, briefly. "What do you think? Is it still her? At least mostly?"

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“Yyyeeaah,” Blaze shifted to a human form so he could talk, and replied hesitantly, “yeah it’s her but there’s like, something else in there now. Man this is trippy. Some weird thing, totally unnatural man, I can’t even try to describe it.”

He shook his head and looked away.

“Dude, just thinking about it freaks me out man,” he said.
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear frowns, that might be the worst answer of all. He would mourn Juno's death if she were dead, and celebrate if she were alive. But alive and... possessed by some strange thing? What was he supposed to do? How could he protect his pack from this thing? How could he protect Juno from something inside her? That wasn't the only issue that needed addressing though. Maybe, just maybe, this problem could be put on hold for now. Hopefully someone else could find an answer.

"Okay, Juno, I don't know what's going on, but by Luna I am not going to let it tear us apart. For now we need to finish up here. Let's devour what's left of Obliterates, pick up what traces we can of our presence here, and get out before anyone else comes poking around."

"Everyone watch what you eat, it looks like some parts of King Sky Hunter and Immovable Hunter is mixed in with the rest of it."

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"Oh yeah, we should probably do something for them, they definitely took one for the team," Blaze said.

He put dealing with Juno on hold for the time being as he sifted through gobs of Essence and scooped up bits of what was left of Obliterates and shoved it into his mouth.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The act of consuming the remnants of He Who Obliterates Breathing is simultaneously satisfying and sickening, perhaps like popping the world's most massive pimple; only with this there is more puss. The chunks of rotted corpus left behind by the spirit are saggy and sour, but still ultimately filling. As the Anchor Wolves complete the rite of feeding, scooping up Essence from the ground, they uncover a small sapling sticking out of the ground, which glows with spiritual power and which was certainly not in the circle prior. It appears that the destruction of such a powerful spirit has resulted in the creation of a new budding locus; the roots of the sapling reaching not only into the ground, but also across the Gauntlet into The Hisil.

(OOC: Nearing the end of this scene but will let people react, discuss ect)
    Show

18. - Top - End - #498
    Dwarf in the Playground

Juno joins them in their gruesome task, though perhaps with less concern for propriety than her other pack members. Reaching down, she appraises a chunk of corpus as though in a haze, before ravenously consuming it as though she had not eaten for some time. Whatever discomfort or distaste she might feel are lost in the process. And then she repeats with another, again and again until that little sapling remains

Her eyes widen as she senses its spiritual presence, causing her to rock back slightly on her heels. But she merely dazedly glances at the others, waiting for them to react.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“What do you think the shop owners are going to think when they see this?” Blaze asked, nodding towards the little sapling locus.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear keeps an eye on Juno throughout. He wanted to be ready if something happens. He just wished he had a clue as to what he would actually be able to do...

His mood improves as things wrap-up, and he grins as the nature of the sapling becomes clear, "I cannot say I particularly care what they think, as long as they don't try to cut it down. I think we ought to nurture this into a locus of health and growth. Let it stand both as a marker for this great victory, and a living denial of what our enemy tried to do to this place."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-08-19 at 02:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Solomon slinks out of the shadows, appearing out of the blackness like a ghost. Still in lupine form, he adds in First Tongue, "Agreed. I think we should assign one of the Wolf Blooded to protect it. Pine always liked gardening... perhaps she would be interested in a job at the nursery." He pants, tongue lolling out of his fanged mouth quizzically in what is easily read as the wolf equivalent of a grin.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear looks to Pine, "I've heard worse ideas."

He pauses, "Perhaps, perhaps we could find a way to bury at least part of Iago here as well. He should have been with us for this."

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Solomon nods his head in approval, and glances at Kara who voices her agreement, "I think that would be nice idea." She smiles at Bear and the others, but it's clear how heavily the loss of Iago hangs on her.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It was nearly sunrise by the time the Anchor Wolves finished devouring the vile Essence of He Who Obliterates Breathing, and returned to the factory. The pack had been victorious! They had routed out one of the most powerful spirits in New England, a spirit so deadly that it had either destroyed or driven away all other Forsaken packs who had come up against it. But more so then that, the pack had successfully completed their hardest and longest hunt. They had accomplished as a group what they had come to this city to do, and despite the losses, there was an undeniable pride and satisfaction that hung over the group, despite everything else.

The feast had been almost as arduous as the preparation for battle, and left the Anchor Wolves feeling nauseous and greasy, as if Obliterates had worked its way into the deepest fibers of their pelts, under their skin, and into the very matrix of their bones. Both King Sky Hunter, and the mighty bear spirit that had become Bear's close companion had been banished during the battle, and of course the arrival of the sickly Juno hung over the group's heads, and kept the group mostly silent during their return trip through the abandoned streets of New Bedford.

Michael had been the first to return, having worked with Izidakh and its pack of dog spirits to route the fleeing Beshilu. There would of course be more work to do to sniff out the remaining Shartha nests, and drive the last remnants of the rat infestation out of New Bedford. But the pup had proven himself worthy, led a pack of spirits in battle for the Anchor Wolves, and in doing so had played a vital role in taking down Obliterates. Once Izidakh and its pack had returned across the Gauntlet, Michael had lumbered back into the warehouse, where he had been greeted with cheers and support from the Wolf Blooded, who had been watching from their indoor fortress. E had jumped all over Michael, and the two had taken the opportunity to celebrate for a moment alone together.

By the time Michael came out of his room with E, the rest of the Anchor Wolves were returning. Pine and Chris had set up a fire pit in the living space to help drive off the cold, and the other Wolf Blooded were gathered around the fire drinking coffee. The peripheral pack said nothing as the other Uratha returned, as if waiting for someone to speak up and explain what happened. Juno was the last to enter the hall, and when she did there was an audible gasp from several members around the fire, but no one got up or dared say anything.

Show
    Glad to get this up and running. So this will be a short wrap up scene, just for everyone to touch base again, ask or answer any lingering questions they have ect. My plan is after this little scene there will be an epilogue in which we will "see off" Juno and Michael, count up beats, spend XP, and then move on to the new story and bring in the new characters!
    Show

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“So, we won,” Blaze said, “The spirits got wiped but everyone else lived, plus we found Juno. I need a drink, a shower, a smoke, food, and sleep, in that order.”

He poked around for some alcohol and a clean glass.

“I hope we never have to do that again, man,” Blaze said, tossing back a shot and pouring another, “but I tell you what, I’m looking forward to getting rid of the rest of those rats now their big brother is gone.”
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #506
    Dwarf in the Playground

Juno enters awkwardly, padding toward the fire like she isn't sure what to do with herself. Her head jerks slightly at the gasp, but she prevents herself from whipping her head in that direction.

She accepts an offered cup of coffee and cradles it, standing there in relative silence as she glances from face to face

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear slips in and heavily takes a seat, physical and mental tiredness, as well as profound relief warring with new worries have taken their toll. "I want to say thank you, all of you. We could not have done this without everyone's efforts, and to pull it off without even serious injuries among those who don't heal easy was impressive to say the least."

"And Juno, you especially managed to turn things around, I'm not sure what would have happened if you had not pulled off that pin. I don't know what happened to you, or what strange occurrences brought you back, but it is good to see your face and hear your voice. Welcome home."

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Pine actually has a bottle of cheap whiskey at the ready, and hands it to him when she sees him going for a cup, attentive to the needs of her pack mates. The group listens silently at Blaze's brief explanation of the night's events, all eyes and ears directed at the Uratha with intense focus.

When Blaze finishes, attention begins to shift back towards Juno, though no one says anything till Bear begins speaking. There is almost a communal sigh of relief when Bear begins, his words momentarily drawing attention away from the elephant in the room... until he thrusts the group's attention back on Juno.

The wolf blooded gaze at Juno with a mix of confusion, concern, and possibly revulsion. In fact, E rises from her position in Michael's embrace and actually backs away from the table. This triggers Chris Wentworth to rise as well, though in reaction to E's abrupt discourtesy. Anger and pride flash in the young shaggy boy's eyes as he gazes at E, before he turns back to Juno. "Welcome back," he says as he cautiously steps away from the table and towards Juno and the other Anchor Wolves. But his next words are cautious, just like his approach, "I... look forward to hearing about where you have been," he pauses momentarily before adding, "Are you okay?"
    Show

29. - Top - End - #509
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'm... I... Don't know," Juno replies hesitantly. She gazes off into the distance, face scrunching as she tries to think. Fiddling with her hair absently, she continues. "I don't remember much about what happened. It was wet, and strange. The rest... it's a blur, like it happened to someone else."

"And then things changed again, and I was back. There was the pack, and an enemy, so I attacked. But that's all I know."
    Last edited by Irrelephant; 2020-09-01 at 10:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

Michael had barely known Juno before she'd...disappeared? Been taken? Her scent had still been on the bass, of course, and he was almost more familiar with that fading scent than the woman herself. If he was honest, he was a little lost about the whole thing. When he'd emerged from his...diversion...with E to hear the others talking about it, he'd half wondered (though not dared to say, of course) if Blaze had somehow imagined it. But she was definitely here, and definitely real.

He stood up as well, putting an arm around E, honestly not sure if he was trying to calm her down or protect her. Maybe both. "Uh...is that...normal, for us?" He didn't really need to ask the question, but he felt he kinda had to say something.
    "Follow the moonwalking Nosepass!"
    "Can you put the lich in a box?"