New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF II

Bear is distracted from his musing, "Oh, that. Remember that guy I mentioned who died like Juno earlier? Didn't get as much info with Chris as we'd hoped, but we did at least find out that he apparently got infected about the same way. Disappeared under the waves, then just showed up at random a few days later."

"If it happened to two people, it could have happened to more. We figure that if there's a pattern to this stuff, some people among the locals have probably picked up on it already. So I was trying to find out if there's a board of some sort for the citizens here, and maybe get Blaze's digital friend to help out."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #722
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Slightly amused by the actions and attitude of the bus driver, Jeremy thought to himself how he'd never been ignored with quite such...force, before. Used to slipping in and out of sight in his hunts, the deliberate and studied unawareness of the driver made him curious for it's cause. Portland's lights far behind him, he still pondered at the surprising lack of strong personalities in the packs there. No one appealing to his emptiness and this welcome assignment to a new territory welcome for that lack. Rumors and possibly exaggerated details of the Anchor Wolves deeds so far gave him hope that he might find his goal in this long unclaimed place. Now to prove himself worthy of their ranks and justify their acceptance of his talents.

#At least I'm bringing some good memories with me to this town. # He thinks to himself. #Though nothing much to look at so far, to encourage me staying any longer than needed. Here's hoping the Anchor serves as their name.#

Looking out into the storm-darkened lot, the lack of other passengers, the lack of even the simple souls that usually lived on the streets and around such places was surprising. Rising up lithely, the young man pulled up his backpack and small suitcase and gathered his coat, stepping quietly to the front of the bus. He paused at the door, looking through the rain for a clue for the promised guide, and still smelling the acrid odor of the rattle trap chariot that carried him. Hearing some whisper of conversation that certainly couldn't be the surly driver, he heads in that direction.
    Last edited by GKnightBC; 2021-01-19 at 12:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"Uhh, sure, I'll try a stout," Blaze said.

He folded the menu.

"Hey man," he said to the waiter more quietly, "why's everyone lookin' at us?"
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-01-18 at 11:54 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Joanna crosses the parking lot, rain pelting her hoodie, cold and sharp like a knife. At first the bus driver doesn't notice, but as she gets closer it's as if he can't take his eyes off of her. The man's mouth even drops agape just slightly, though he gets it closed by the time Joanna is standing over him. This close, Joanna can see the bronze colored nametag that reads "Finney".

In reply to Joanna's question the bus driver croaks, "Uh, that's me. Ya, that 's me I guess." He fumbles a little with his words, but offers Joanna a somewhat uncomfortable smile. This close, it smells like the guy just ate a sardine sandwich, or maybe took a bath inside one. But another scent catches Joanna's nose, a strong masculine musk; the smell of fur and slobber.

As Jeremy getting closer to the door, the conversation gets louder. But Jeremy also picks up on the familiar smell of Uratha. This one's female, and close by. In fact, it might be the person talking to the bus driver! Could this be the Anchor Wolf here to pick up Jeremy?

Bear's mention of the infected man immediately sours Ciara's expression, as if she had just taken a gulp of rotten milk. She hesitates for a moment then asks, "What do you think it is?" She listens to her husbands thoughts and replies, "I don't know if there's any town message board. The people here are so unfriendly." She shakes her head with disappointment, but then says, "James did mention this morning that there was a bar downtown where all the locals go. Maybe that would be a good place to check out?"

The waiter shrugs, a goofy grin on his face. "You're out of towners," he says as if he were talking to a child, "We don't get many... except maybe some vacationers in the summer. But, well I guess a lot of the elders like their privacy in this town." His words are colored with discomfort, and when he finishes the waiter's eyes dart back over to the host. He adds quickly, "Sorry," before quickly turning and rushing back towards the kitchen.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze waits for the food as he stares out the window, being mindful of how much time they had left to catch the ferry. He flipped over his sight to see into the Hisil, then glanced around to see what he could see.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ettin in the Playground

Finally. Joanna was happy to note his response. Couldn't she have ran into this guy last week. 'Hey Finney, my friend Mikey gave me your name but he doesn't know your address.' Mikey was the name of a barman in the place where Turner had hurt that guy. He hadn't exactly been helpful when she had spoke to him, but he was clearly a buddy of Turner's. 'I'm looking for Brock if he's here. I'm a little worried about him given what happened. There's no way he deserves any of this.' Either Fin was going to help her or he was going to claim not to know what she was talking about.

She'll try and ignore the smell of the fish without looking like she's wrinkling her nose. Maybe she'd caught him at a bad time. Her new senses were often just an annoying distraction.

Huh? The other smell did give Joanna pause as she was familiar enough with it to know what that meant. She'll glance around to see if there was anyone else nearby. Presumably it wasn't coming from Fin.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Sliding silently up behind the bus driver, Jeremy looks out at the female, tapping his nose and nodding at her in recognition of her nature as he waits courteously for her to finish her conversation. Eeerily still as he waits, he opens his senses to the exterior, absorbing the new territory's distinctiveness.
    Last edited by GKnightBC; 2021-01-21 at 01:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna will return the nod but will otherwise keep paying attention to Fin. She didn't know this one but the others had said there were packs all over.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear winces as the subject has an impact on Ciara, "Sorry for mentioning it."

"Anyways, this stuff is not really my thing to begin with, but I'm wondering if its a bit like someone being ridden, only by beings even less compatible with the life here than most spirits. It doesn't work very well, and ends up making a huge mess."

"I haven't given up on the message board just yet. There are still plenty of locals not like the others still, some of 'em are bound to talk. The tavern might be a place to try if that doesn't pan out, but that's a weird conversation to start to say the least."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Casting his sight into the Hisil, Blaze sees desolate rocky beach in place of the ornate restaurant. Sickle shaped Mother Luna hangs in the quickly darkening purple sky, and black foaming waves lap against the beach. But there are shockingly few spirits here, even less than at the Ferry Plaza. A few scuttling scavengers dart between puddles of mud and tide pools, or between piles of stones. Essence does not even bubble and flow from the rippling waters of the ocean, and Blaze can't find a single water spirit stirring within the dark waters. The land here has been ravaged by something, damaged and drained of Essence. The sight is unsettling to Blaze, standing in stark contrast to the vibrant terrain that the Ithauer and his pack had been cultivating on the other side of the bay. This was what the Uratha called a Barren, and Blaze had only seen such devastation a few times in his life.

Blaze is snapped out of his studies by the voice of the waiter. "Here is your stout sir," the voice says in the land of Flesh, "and here is your martini sir. Your oysters will be out in just a moment. Is there anything else I can get you?" If Blaze returns his vision to this plane, he can see that the waiter is looking at him queerly.

The bus driver's expression turns cold quickly. He narrows his bulbous eyes at Joanna and says, "Mikey? I don't know any Mikey in this town." He crosses his arms against his chest and takes a step back away from Joanna, almost falling up against the bus. "And how do you know about... what happened?" he asks, his voice dropping into an almost whisper.

(OOC: Depending on what Joanna says, she may have to make a Presence/Manipulation + Subterfuge roll with her prior success cancelling out the man's composure defence)

Jeremy watches as this Uratha questions the bus driver, perhaps wondering just what she was getting at.

Ciara shrugs and replies, "Nothing to apologize for." She lays back on the bed and says to Bear, "Sorry. I don't mean to interrupt. I think I'll go back to my nap and let you get some more work done babe."
    Show

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"Nah, we're good," Blaze replied, "how long do you think they'll be? We gotta catch the ferry back to the main land."
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ettin in the Playground

'I don't think Mikey knows you either. He works at O'Brien's bar where the ...thing happened.' Joanna will get quieter to give the impression that she doesn't want to talk about it either. 'That's how I know Brock. He brought me a drink last Christmas and we talk sometimes.' As Fin had retreated she'll try and ignore the smell and move closer. 'Mikey said he saw the whole thing and that guy totally started it. He also said that Brock might have left town to stay with his cousin.' She'll shrug, 'Sorry to spring this on you but I was coming out here anyway. I just want to see if he's ok.'

Spoiler
    Show

Presence 3 + Subterfuge 1 + Willpower
    (7d10)[8][4][5][7][6][3][7](40)

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The waiter smiles kindly at Blaze and replies, "Oh, I'm sure they will be ready in just one moment. We always shuck our oysters fresh, so it just takes a moment."

And sure enough, he was back with the plate of oysters in about 5 minutes. As promised, the oysters are quiet good even if one did not have a taste for them. Despite the overly fishy smell that seemed to hang over New Bedford and Cuttyhunk Island, the oysters were exquisitely fresh and had a pleasant briny flavor. The lobster tails come out soon after that and while not as delicious, are more than passable.

(OOC: Cuttyhunk oysters are a real thing and can be found in many places on the East Coast and are in real life pretty damn good)

As the two Uratha begin to consume their meal, the waiter returns and says, "I hope you are enjoying your food. Is there anything else I can get you? You mentioned you were in a rush sir, and if you would like, I can bring the check early."

"And you say you are a friend?" Fin the bus driver asks with wide eyes, his guard dropping in a mix of confusion. He tries his best to give Joanna a charming smile and says, "I suppose I can help you find him," clearly having forgotten completely about his passenger who stood at the top of the bus' stairs.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    "And you say you are a friend?" Fin the bus driver asks with wide eyes, his guard dropping in a mix of confusion. He tries his best to give Joanna a charming smile and says, "I suppose I can help you find him," clearly having forgotten completely about his passenger who stood at the top of the bus' stairs.
    Joanna smiles back, 'So you've heard from him?' Fin obviously knew what Brock had done. 'Or is he staying with you? It's his call if he wants to meet up while I'm here, but we can exchange numbers if you want.'

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear rubs her shoulder before helping settle the blanket, "Rest well my love."

With that, he turns back to the laptop, trying to get the information spirit's attention, he wasn't having much luck without it.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“Sure man, check would be great,” Blaze said.

“This is fantastic by the way, complements to the chef,” he added. He licked his fingers so as not to miss anything before cleaning up.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Uh, it might be best we don't talk about it," Fin says uncomfortably, clearly trying to hide something from Joanna. He does his best to put on an ameliorating smile and says, "Tell ya what. If you give me your number, I'll be sure to get it to him. What was your name again?"

(OOC: Wanna give me a Wits + Empathy roll?)

Bear had seen his companion commune with Databolt several times, and so he goes over to Blaze's room to open up his laptop. At first when he powers up the computer he gets a log in screen and Bear is left with the question of if he wants to try to start breaking into Blaze's personal computer. But then the screen's blue backdrop goes sort of hazy and strange shapes and pixels begin to warp into and out of focus, as if Bear was suddenly struck by a strong dose of LSD.

First Tongue symbols type themselves out across the screen, as strange simian creatures begin to appear and stare at Bear from the corners of the computer monitor. The message reads, "Can I help you Uratha who is not Blaze?"

The waiter grins at Blaze, thanking him for the compliment. He waddles away, and returns quickly with the check. Once the meal is payed for, the waiter says he will let the two finish, and invites them to come back again some time, maybe when the weather is a little better.

(OOC: Going to let you decide what Blaze and James do next)
    Show

18. - Top - End - #738
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Grinning with a closed mouth at the barrier to his progress, he listens to the subtle interrogation of the driver with mild interest. Not sure what the female is seeking, he contents himself with this minor eavesdropping and looking out at the 'station', judging volumes from this book's cover.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze glanced outside at the weather and then at his watch to determine how much time they had before the ferry.

Once the waiter left, he spoke quietly.

“Well, we could come back later and check out that trail, or we could ‘accidentally’ miss the ferry and have to spend the night, though I think these guys would be suspicious of that... I mean they’re already watching is and we’re just eatin’ some oysters,” Blaze said.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-01-25 at 05:55 PM.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear nods respectfully to the screen, unsure if the spirit could even see him but trying anyways, "Greetings Databolt, I am Blaze's packbrother Bear, I heard of your impressive prowess in finding information, and I was hoping you could help me find out if the locals have been chatting about some strange deaths. Might you be willing?"

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ettin in the Playground

'Joanna.' She had no reason to lie and it would double as an introduction to the male Uratha that was standing behind Fin. Joanna hoped that at worse if Brock heard about her he might be curious enough to come looking even if he was suspicious. If she was a cop she thought she would be a lot less subtle here.

She'll fish her phone out of her jacket pocket and hand it over. 'I don't have a pen so feel free to call yourself...unless there's anything else you want to talk about?'

Spoiler
    Show

I'll edit in case there's more after that roll

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Joanna gets the distinct sense that not only does Fin know about his cousin's crime, but that he is hiding the man here in town. He was being too cagey... but now it shouldn't be too hard to stalk the man and hunt her prey down.

The man's response to Joanna's ploy only confirmed her suspicion. When handed her phone, Fin mumbled and was hesitant to take the object. He fished for some excuse to not give up his own number, but coming up empty he begrudgingly typed his number into Joanna's phone and gave himself a quick call. "Here," he said with slight frustration, thrusting the phone back into Joanna's hands, "Thanks." He waits a moment, then says, "Well, I really do need to get going." Fin looks over his shoulder to see where his passenger was and locks eyes with Jeremy. "Time to get off," he says flatly.

James nods his head at Blaze's statement. "This place gives makes me nervous," he says in a near whisper, eyes darting back towards the kitchen where the waiter had disappeared. As if slightly embarrassed he adds, "Not that I don't think we can handle them, even if we do get stuck here for the night. I mean, we did come all the way out here to do some digging, but I mean, I'm just a pup, so I leave it up to you."

There is a long and silent pause after Bear speaks. The wait is interrupted by a series of text that types itself onto the screen of the laptop. It reads, "Type please...".

After Bear types his reply Databolt responds, "Sounds like something I could help with... but why should I help you Uratha Bear?"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #743
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

With the beginnings of a sneer on his lips, Jeremy responds to the direct glare with his own, firm eye contact "I would, but your..conversation has been blocking the way for the past few minutes. It wouldn't have been considerate to interrupt you two."

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna will take back her phone and pretend like she hadn't noticed his frustration. 'Thanks Fin, I owe you.'

To the male Uratha, 'Sorry, couldn't wait. You in a hurry? I could give you a lift somewhere if you need dropping off.' They obviously needed to talk, and her car was as good a place as any.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze checked his watch and the weather again, to figure out how long they had until the ferry left and if it looked like it might stop raining, or at least slow down.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear types in, "I was considering upgrading the internet here, perhaps a few weeks where 80% of the new bandwidth is reserved exclusively for you would be to your liking."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-01-26 at 08:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    Joanna will take back her phone and pretend like she hadn't noticed his frustration. 'Thanks Fin, I owe you.'

To the male Uratha, 'Sorry, couldn't wait. You in a hurry? I could give you a lift somewhere if you need dropping off.' They obviously needed to talk, and her car was as good a place as any.
    "That'd be awesome, thanks." He answered, certain that this is his promised contact. Stepping down from the bus of ire, he moves past the driver and follows the female to her car "I'm Jeremy." He says, once out of earshot of Fin. "I was told someone would be here to pick me up. I was a little curious when I didn't see anyone around until you showed."

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ettin in the Playground

'Joanna.' She looks confused at his response. 'Wait, who were you expecting?' Assuming Jeremy was a local she had been about to apologise for not coming to see his pack earlier. 'I'm here for work, that's what all that was about. I'm looking for someone. Never expected to just run into one of ...us by accident.' She's just about used to talking about what they both are.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'Joanna.' She looks confused at his response. 'Wait, who were you expecting?' Assuming Jeremy was a local she had been about to apologise for not coming to see his pack earlier. 'I'm here for work, that's what all that was about. I'm looking for someone. Never expected to just run into one of ...us by accident.' She's just about used to talking about what they both are.
    He stops, surprised "I was told I'd be met here by someone who'd introduce me to the Anchor. You're not my contact? I'm sorry, I assumed you were because of our shared ...traits" he answered, taking cue from her circumspect speak. Jeremy then looks around, curious that he had missed his actual contact in the station. "A happy accident, for all that. Did you need help with your other tasks?" He asked, tilting his head in the driver's direction.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ettin in the Playground

'Maybe.' She'll elaborate while keeping an eye on Fin through the car windscreen. 'The bus driver's cousin killed someone in Boston. Supposedly he wasn't the sort of person you'd expect to go that far. If he's just nuts I can probably handle him, but if he's being influenced by some spirit it'd be nice to have someone who knows what they're doing in town.'

'The Anchor. They the local pack? What do you know about them?'