New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF II

Joanna will watch the man leave until he was out of earshot, 'We come back here again I expect he'll be suspicious. Assuming we don't want them to know we're coming.'

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bear looks to her, "I know, it hurts. But we are still a pack. We mourn the others, but we must move on."

"Right now though it is as if we have lost you as well, and your ghost occasionally shows up to remind us of that. As to what I want you to do, I want you to be Kara again, the party loving voice of the Anchor Wolves. Snap out of this funk, and join us once more in truth."
    Kara nods her head in acceptance, but with tears starting to find their way in shiny streams down her cheeks she says, "I... I don't know if I can. I don't want to let you and the others down, but it's just so hard." She shakes her head, before throwing herself into Bear's arms. For the second time today, the Rahu finds himself holding a crying packmate.

"How about a hunt? Something simple, lets all go out and bag a deer for dinner tonight. We can run it down together, as a pack."
    Kara nods her head, wet tears starting to stain Bear's shirt. "Sure," she says, "whatever you think is best."

The ferry ride back to New Bedford is relatively uneventful. The waves are choppier, and the small boat seems to almost take flight between waves several times during the trip, but the ferry makes it to port without any problems.

Assuming the group returns back to the warehouse, they find Ciara, James and Chris siting around uncomfortably in the main living space. The three almost jump when the heavy factory door swings open, and after a moment's silence James King says, "Uh, Bear is upstairs with Kara." He gives an awkward shrug, and Ciara gives him a look that could kill.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Blaze held up a finger to signal to the others to wait a moment.
    He went to his kit and pulled out the crash cymbal, stood it in the middle of the room, and smacked it repeatedly with a drumstick.

“Band meeting!” he yelled.

He waited for anyone not already present to arrive, then proceeds to explain the citadel of coral and shadowy humanoid figures he saw in the Hisil.

“It’s very bad news. I say we get whatever allies we can, travel there via Hisil, and clean it out before they realize we’re on to them,” he said, “maybe we observe it first to find a weak spot. One thing I’m not sure of is whether to do that before or after we build an essence font for the fish spirits here.”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna spends the journey back watching out for anyone with the New Bedford look that seemed to be little too interested in them. From what the others had said there were some in the town who already knew where the Anchor Wolves slept but she'd still prefer to know if someone had chosen to follow them home.

Joanna will leave any questions she had about Kara until after the meeting but will watch Ciara with curiosity. Bear did not seem like the type but there was only one reason for Ciara to look like that.

After Blaze's explanation, 'I don't know what those guys on the island wanted to do to us if they caught us. I assume if they knew what we were capable of they would have brought more of them. On the other hand I don't know how many of those things that we smelt are out there.' On the fish spirits, 'They seemed pissed off with us enough already. What happens if we take too long to help them?'

5. - Top - End - #935
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I think it will do you some good to go on a proper hunt with the pack again, without the stresses of nastier prey. So yeah, that's what we're doing. For now though, get yourself cleaned up and join us downstairs, it seems that Blaze is back with news."

Bear lingers only long enough to be sure Kara is moving to clean her face, giving her a nudge if need be, then sets off downstairs.

Once there, and after Kara follows, he states, "I am getting the distinct impression that this... thing, is no less powerful in its own right than Obliterates was, but we knew exactly how to exploit that one's weaknesses. Rushing into this blindly seems like a recipe for disaster, we don't even really know what this thing is, or even if it has a bane for us to exploit."

"As far as I'm aware, our best bet for that information is those spirits of the deep. How much work would it be to make that essence font? I'm gonna guess we'll want to rent a backhoe to dig with."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“Yeah ok. We need a dark place, a fountain, a pool, and then we need to have a jam session or two to kick the whole thing off,” Blaze said.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-04-15 at 05:56 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #937
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Blaze

“Yeah ok. We need a dark place, a fountain, a pool, and then we need to have a jam session or two to kick the whole thing off,” Blaze said.
    Jeremy is a bit bemused during the whole trip back 'home', wondering about the cult and it's strange effects on the Shadow, and the human sub-surface spirit essences around the spire. At the meeting, he offers little except "I'm happy to help where I can, but I'm still bothered by these human cultists. They are strangely mono-dimensional, even for fanatics. Like walking stereotypes or clones of the standard mold 'cult follower version 1.0'. Just strikes me as more than weird. "

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Kara had come down as Bear had asked. She listens to the group chatting and then apologetically says, "Wait, what's going on? Cultists? Do you mean the Church of Daigon, and that priest who came by here the other day? So what are we doing about it?"
    Show

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Kara had come down as Bear had asked. She listens to the group chatting and then apologetically says, "Wait, what's going on? Cultists? Do you mean the Church of Daigon, and that priest who came by here the other day? So what are we doing about it?"
    “Yeah, they’re not entirely human, or something,” Blaze replied, “we’re gonna help out some deep see fish spirits that we’re driven out of the deep ocean and they’re going to help us find Idigam’s lair.”
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GKnightBC View Post
    Jeremy is a bit bemused during the whole trip back 'home', wondering about the cult and it's strange effects on the Shadow, and the human sub-surface spirit essences around the spire. At the meeting, he offers little except "I'm happy to help where I can, but I'm still bothered by these human cultists. They are strangely mono-dimensional, even for fanatics. Like walking stereotypes or clones of the standard mold 'cult follower version 1.0'. Just strikes me as more than weird. "
    'If we get the chance we can always ask one of them. Although I'm not sure I want to hear too much about what the Idigam's in to.'

Blaze
    'So, does this town have a park maybe? Or do we have to go outside the city to look for something suitable?'

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"Actually I think we should do it right here, on the property," Blaze said, "one so we don't need to get someone else's permission aside from permits, and two so we can keep an eye on the spirits while they're hanging around on land."
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ettin in the Playground

Blaze

"Actually I think we should do it right here, on the property," Blaze said, "one so we don't need to get someone else's permission aside from permits, and two so we can keep an eye on the spirits while they're hanging around on land."
    'Then I'll take your word for it. Just give me some time to tune the guitar. Maybe the spirits will appreciate the thought even if I'm out of practice.'

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'Then I'll take your word for it. Just give me some time to tune the guitar. Maybe the spirits will appreciate the thought even if I'm out of practice.'
    “Yeah man, every little bit helps,” Blaze replied.
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Having mostly settled their plans, The Anchor Wolves get to work designing and preparing their pond. Blaze had insisted it had to be in the dark, and so building something in the basement boiler room of the warehouse would have to suffice. The warehouse itself was all brick, stone and concrete and so some form of above ground pool would have to be set up. Pine was the only pack member in town who was not there for the planning (she was working at the nursery).

After clearing out an area in the basement (a process that required moving out old cans of paint, moldering planks of wood, and a lot of cobwebs), it was time to go out to something like a local hardware store and begin purchasing supplies.

But when the Anchor Wolves opened up the cannery doors, and stepped out to get the old Winnebago running, they found there was a small mob of maybe ten locals marching around the fence outside the property. They were carrying signs and chanting, and at the lead of the march was none other than the balding priest who had barged into the warehouse several nights earlier and warned the pack to leave. Knew to Joanna and James, the priest was a a young man, though prematurely balding, with watery blue eyes hidden behind squared spectacles. Their signs said things like "Punk rock is The Devil's Music", and "We reject Satan's minstrels!" Other than the man in black priest's robes, the protesters were mostly made up of a few young housewives, and conservatively dressed older citizens, though there was a pair of fair haired children fervently chanting along with the adults.

When the Priest sees the Anchor Wolves coming out of the factory, he points and holler to the crowd, "There they are!", before joining back in with the chant, "Go home Cry Wolf! You're not welcome!"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna can't help but roll her eyes at the sight of an actual mob of Christian protestors although it was upsetting to see children there with them. 'If they were going to do anything except shout a lot I think they would have brought more guys. Do we want to talk to them now? Just in case that priest has enough pull to come after us properly at some point.'

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear looks to Joanna, "Pretty sure this is a sign they're having a tough time convincing others that we're worth the effort of the protest. That or they're just getting started. Lets not give them any ammunition regardless."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"I'm thinking of ordering a pizza and handing it out to them," Blaze said, "can't be mad at someone who gives you free pizza."
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #948
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Blaze

"I'm thinking of ordering a pizza and handing it out to them," Blaze said, "can't be mad at someone who gives you free pizza."
    Jeremy laughs at that, saying "And here I was going to suggest a free concert for them, since they were kind enough to form an audience!"

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ettin in the Playground

To Bear, 'Hey, I can be nice. Do you think they protest every band that might come through here or they made an exception for you guys?'

On pizza, 'Can't chant when your mouth is full of food.'

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Anchor Wolves pile into the Winnebago, ignoring the protesters. The trip to the hardware store is uneventful, as is the return. When the pack gets back to the warehouse the protestors are gone, but several of their signs have been tied to the fence, and several rude warnings have been spray painted in yellow on the sidewalk. Included in these is the cryptic message, "The drowned saint is watching you."

Pine gets home soon after, and the Anchor Wolves spend the rest of the afternoon building their underground pool. Once they are done, the pack works together to set up some of their musical equipment down in the damp humidity of the basement. And with that, all the Anchor Wolves needed to do was to channel their energy into the pool, using their music to create a well of Essence in offering to the deep sea spirits.

(OOC: Everyone give me a Presence/Dex + Expression roll, and express if you are giving up an Essence. Each point of Essence will count towards improving the pack's relationship with the deep sea spirits. We can also start a Siskur Dah rite with this if we want)
    Show

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Blaze knew a lot was riding on this, and he made sure he was clear-headed for the jam session to prime the Essence flow. He was the time keeper, he set the beat, and he poured his will and effort into the pounding drums, trying to give a gig worthy performance, interesting, but not too fancy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Blaze spends a point of essence to improve spiritual relationships.
    presence + expression (drums): (8d10)[10][1][6][10][10][1][1][4](43)
    10 again: (8d10)[9][1][2][9][8][10][8][1](48)
    edit: 4 successes.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2021-04-21 at 08:46 PM.
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ettin in the Playground

In theory the others were the ones actually being protested so Joanna would defer to their wishes for the moment, but on the other hand maybe she could at least try and look into the priest to see what kind of reach he had. When they get back Joanna is going to take a minute to read all the protestor's signs before using her phone to google the nearest local churches. The priest shouldn't be that difficult to find and maybe she could attend one of his services if she dressed up for it first.

In the basement once Joanna has tuned up Juno's bass she'll concentrate on following Blaze's drumming until she is able to loosen up a bit as she remembers how to play it properly.

Spoiler
    Show

Also donating a point of Essence

Presence 3 + Expression 3 + Skill Specialty Bass 1
    (7d10)[6][8][9][10][8][8][10](59)
    Any 10s
    (7d10)[10][10][1][2][8][9][9](49)

23. - Top - End - #953
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Unable to compare to the amazing work by his band mates, Jeremy merely adds his keyboard work to prop up the others, weaving his part in and out of the major beats-like waves washing ashore during storms. Feeling the flow grow, his spirit rises with the music, intertwining a part of his spiritual self within the foundations of the ritual.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Adding Essence
    (3d10)[10][8][4](22) and 10s (3d10)[7][2][10](19)

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear runs his fingers over the strings, feeling it out as the band warms up. Something deep and slow, like the currents below... He looks to Kara and nods, encouraging her to take her place at the heart of their music.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Like the others, giving up an essence
    Presence+expression (7d10)[2][1][1][3][3][8][4](22)
    ten again (7d10)[4][9][6][9][8][2][1](39)

25. - Top - End - #955
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Even with new band members, Cry Wolf quickly found a rhythm, joining together and falling into the heavy simplicity of their music. Power chords and steady bass pulled the Uratha into a trance-like zone where it became easy to move together, to shift and improvise. The small amplifiers set up in the basement filled the dark space, took over the room. Essence from the Anchor Wolves began to seep from the amplifiers into the small pool that had been built over the course of the day, and as the band played, flashes of The Hisil began to overlap with world of Flesh. The Deep Sea spirits; strange fishy forms all scales and spindly fins and milky eyes, began to trundle closer. The concrete walls of the basement began to prickle with barnacles, and the smell of seaweed and fresh ocean spray began to sting the nose and eyes of those gathered in the basement.

Soon the low mournful sound of The Reveler's song could be heard echoing from the walls, joining with Cry Wolf. The pack's Totem, The Reveler in The Vineyard finally materialized, sending a thousand spiders and dust mites that were hidden in the corners of the basement scuttling. It's whale-shaped form clung to the ceiling of the basement, all bone white flesh lined with purples and green pods that hung like facsimiles of bushels of grapes. It's body was nearly all grinning mouth, a twisted toothless orifice that moaned and sung along. It's hundreds of appendages, part squid tentacle and part leafy grape vines spread across the ceiling as if taking root. Large black eyes grinned down at the Anchor Wolves as their music summoned the Totem into existence, the spirit clearly taking delight in the music played.

When the song was over, The Anchor Wolves stood around the small pool, which now shimmered with Essence. Peering across the Gauntlet, they could see the Deep Sea spirits had gathered, taking shelter and sustenance from the thing they had created.

"Beautiful," The Reveler sang, it's voice like a distant drowned whale's song. It floated down from the ceiling, vines and tentacles popping as they pulled away from the concreate to flow and undulate as if propelling the spirit towards Kara. The Cahalith walked towards the Totem Spirit, and stepped into it's many tentacled embrace like a child holding their mother. "And who are these new pups?" Reveler asked, free appendages floating towards Joanna and Jeremy.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay, so with 17 combined successes, the pack has created a (what I am calling) a Well. The Well is an impermanent locus, that will last for three days unless the pack come back and reperform the rite. The well has Resonance 3 and Essence 5. If the pack does come back, contribute another 5 essence, and can get another 13 successes, they can turn this Well into a true locus.

@Haval: Please see my post in the OOC thread
    Show

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna hadn't played anything in a while but from long practice she had used to be good at this. In her experience you just had to listen to what everyone else was playing and do your best to play around it. As she plays she can feel muscles that she didn't know she had unstretching as the Essence flowed. It felt something like how she had felt when her first change had happened and her senses had expanded. Only this was honestly a lot more pleasant.

Joanna will watch with curiosity as what was obviously the Reveler in The Vineyard materialised. It looked like nothing that she had ever expected to be this close to, but after their performance she didn't even feel the need to be cautious. 'Joanna Sullivan, and I'm just helping out. Nice to finally meet you.' How do you introduce yourself to a Totem Spirit anyway? She'll follow Kara's example and remain close enough that the Reveler could embrace her if it wished.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Welcome... Uratha?" the floating spirit asks, sniffing the air through two large holes in the front of it's giant head. "More Uratha! Are you to join the Anchor Wolves then?" Reveler asks, though it turns the question to Bear, Kara and Blaze, awaiting the answer of the current pack members. It makes no attempt to embrace Joanna, but does not withdraw either, simply floating impossibly in the middle of the basement, casting no shadow.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"Yeah man, be nice to them okay?" Blaze replied.
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Very well then," Reveler's ephemeral voice replies, echoing in the basement, "Shall I share with them the pact?" The spirit turned back to Joanna and adds, "It will only hurt for a time, little pup." Several of Reveler's long tentacles begin to spread out, probing their way toward Joanna.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ettin in the Playground

'Yeah, I'll join if they'll have me.' Joanna responded wondering quite what she was agreeing to. 'Do what you need to do.' She'd prefer that the Reveler didn't have so many tentacles, but she's not going to show any hesitancy in front of the others.