New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF II

Bear nods, "I was thinking deer or elk. Something we can bring down in wolf form and then bring back for the entire pack to enjoy. Store bought meat just isn't the same as something brought down with teeth."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ettin in the Playground

'Normally I like to cook it first but I'll see how I feel. I can't say I get out to the country much. You done this before?'

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Yes, and let me tell you something, you're in for a treat. Little quite like it in the lives of an Uratha. The hunt is what we were born for." Bear grins, "And your first one is a lot like losing your virginity."

"As to the meat, I doubt you'll mind the taste while in true wolf form. I particularly enjoy the liver when furred up. But the bulk of it we'll go ahead and cook. There's not minding it being raw, and then there's missing out on a good garlic marinade."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    [B]"And your first one is a lot like losing your virginity."
    'Heh, then it's got a lot to live up to. Maybe we should get some alcohol on the way back.'

5. - Top - End - #995
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Reveler floats forward, seeming to shrink slightly so that the spirit is able to sidle up to Bear despite the cramped quarters of the basement. "Oooh," the spirit moans, "why don't you go for the hunt now. Enjoy ourselves, and bask in the beauty of the hunt and the kill. I can taste the Essence you would create... the deep sea spirits can be taken care of later."

(OOC: Sorry, but I need you to decide which one the group is doing first)
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    "why don't you go for the hunt now. Enjoy ourselves, and bask in the beauty of the hunt and the kill. I can taste the Essence you would create... the deep sea spirits can be taken care of later."
    'As long as we're sure those fishes can afford to wait.' Joanna looks questioningly at Bear. 'Or can we do one then the other today?'

7. - Top - End - #997
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“The fish are right around the corner, and it’s going to take us a little while to get a hunt going anyway,” Blaze said, “pretty sure we can do both.”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

8. - Top - End - #998
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeremy adds "I'm always up for a solid hunt, but this place looked pretty sparse for challenging prey. What are we going to start with?" he asks, eager.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Using the Well that they have created, The Anchor Wolves cross over into the Spirit realm. The action is the familiar blend of pain, both physical and psychic transition, and the sense of perhaps coming home. After passing through the gauntlet, the pack find themselves suddenly hunched over under a massive boardwalk or wooden dock. The overhead planks of wood come up to what would be chest height on a standing human, but even the Uratha in Hishu form find themselves on all fours, crouching in a rocky briny mud. Wooden columns, covered in black mold and barnacles, stretch out of the soft ground to support the overhead walkway, and the planks above are equally warped and rotted, likely unsafe to bear the weight of a walking person. Dark waves lap at the ground, racing up to kiss the feet, hands and paws of the Uratha with icy cold water. A few small crustacean spirits, glass shelled creatures with a myriad of spider legs, scuttle away from the Uratha, and the few fish spirits seem to ignore the Well-cave all together.

In the Hisil, the Well appears as something like a groto or underwater tunnel that starts at the water's edge. The cave appears big enough for maybe a small person or a large animal to swim into, and it's mouth glows an almost neon violet with spirit energy. As the water pulls back from the cave, it becomes clear that the glowing energy comes from thousands of fingerlike projections of glowing kelp that reach out from the walls of the tunnel. This was the source of Essence, this was the Well the Anchor Wolves had created.

The familiar voice of The Reveler comes from above, a long joyous sigh, "Ah, that's much better." From between the slats of rotting wood above, you can see the form of The Reveler. It's form is far more massive here, the size of a rhino, or maybe a small elephant. "Let us complete our business," The totem spirit announces hastily, and meets them on the ground as the Anchor Wolves climb out from under the dock, marching back to the towering pillar Locus.

As always, the Locus is teeming with spirits that have gathered to feed and bear witness to the phenomenon of the thinned gauntlet. The swarms of lesser spirits scatter as The Reveler and the Anchor Wolves approach, keeping their distance from the apex predators.

But there is no sight of the deep sea spirits, instead, the group are greeted by King Sky Hunter, who comes swooping down to perch itself on the towering locus. Sky Hunter is a massive falcon spirit. It's feathers shimmer golden brown, it's talons grow jagged harpoon hooks. King Sky Hunter stares down haughtily at the Anchor Wolves. "Uratha," it announces, it's voice like the clap of thunder, "I see you have multiplied since our last encounter. We must talk!"
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Blaze stepped forward and bowed low before standing up again, but he kept his arms out wide as he addressed the falcon spirit.

"Great King Sky Hunter," Blaze said, "it brings me happiness to see you fully healthy again. I trust your hunting goes well. What is it you wished to speak of?"
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The spirit hops forward on scaled reptilian legs, its metal claws scraping against the flagstone, screech, screech, screech, till it stands before Blaze and the others. Upright, the spirit would be a good four or five feet taller than a man, but it hunches down at eye level to Blaze.

"The hunting has been good," King Sky Hunter squawks, it's gold and black eyes staring into Blaze's, "Your presence, and the destruction of the Hosts has brought much life back to these parts. For that I thank you." The spirit dips its head into a bow before Blaze, but when it comes back up King Sky Hunter juts its head forward till it's serrated bone beak is just inches from Blaze, wings expanded out in an expression of menace. In a hissing voice the spirit says, "But you have allowed strangers onto our lands. When I agreed to grant you back the factory, I did not expect you to allow so many... unwanted guests. The deep sea spirits should not be allowed here. Their presence upsets the balance. Soon they will feed on something, or something will feed on them, and there will be magath abominations; that will disturb my hunting and that I WILL NOT ABIDE!"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear looks at the great spirit, then simply states, "If you thought we were simply ignoring them, rest assured that is not the case. We did not chase them off right away because they have a potential use to restore the balance for more than just your part of this area."

"They're going to help us deal with the idigam in exchange for shelter. A small temporary space with appropriate essence has just been created. If they stay within, there should be no magath spirits. It is a temporary affair regardless. Either we'll succeed and they can return to where they belong, or not, and in that case we won't be objecting to whatever means to deal with them as you see fit. Now, where are they?"

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ettin in the Playground

Crossing over still hurts but Joanna would like to believe it was getting a little easier with practice. She'll stay in Hishu on the basis that wet and muddy fur just sounded unpleasant. The sight of King Sky Hunter made her reconsider that decision. He was supposed to be an ally but if he wanted to act otherwise was there anything they could do about it? She'll watch the spirit somewhat warily and take a position to one side of Blaze.

Magath sounded like a metal band, but she could work out the meaning from the context. 'We'll deal with them if the worse happens.' Which was presumably true. She wondered if King Sky Hunter was capable of contacting them through the Gauntlet.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The falcon spirit's fiery anger seems quickly tempered by Bear's words. It pulls it's head back and shakes out it's ruffled feathers. Tucking it's massive wingspan back, King Sky Hunter says haughtily, "Well then... I wish I had known." After a moment's pause the spirit adds, "But you will still be perceived as showing favoritism towards those spirits. The other choruses will not be happy."

King Sky Hunter ***** a head at Joanna as she speaks, but turns its dark eyes back to Bear and Blaze, seeming to ignore the younger Uratha.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"We thank you, Great King Sky Hunter, for this information. Had we not already been aware, it would have been something for us to take action on quickly to avert a potential catastrophe," Blaze said, "Your eyes and ears are keen, and your territory is vast, we would be grateful to know of any similar irregularities in the future, so we might address them."

"Do you know where the fish are now, so we might inform them of where there is safe Essence for them to consume?" he asked.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The towering falcon spirit seems pleased with Blaze's praise. It lowers its head in a curt nodding bow. In reply to the question King Sky Hunter says, "I sent them away from this locus. I sent them into the forest where they would be... safer." Though the bird had no lips, it was as though a mirthful smile played across it's beak. "You Uratha are hunters, right? I am sure you shall have no trouble tracking those foreign spirits down." Sky Hunter's First Tongue was more native than any Uratha's but there was something pejorative about the word it used for "foreign".
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ettin in the Playground

So, the bird presumably sent them away to make them someone else's problem. Joanna will reply levelly, 'Thank you for your concern for their safety. I'm sure we'll manage in tracking them down.' If King Sky Hunter was human she might have asked him what he was up to.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

The crossing is welcomed by Jeremy as they make passage once again, the subtle tearing of spirit and body energizing him with the reminder of life and its joys. Once across he shifts as needed by the new terrain and waits for being needed.
    When the new spirit arrives, he chooses to play the shy pup he is to this crew, waiting for the opportunity to be needed by the Alpha for the next task.
    After the Sky King gives them thier task, he recognizes the need to prove themselves to the resident, and he starts looking for the most likely direction the deep sea spirits were sent.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Inwardly, Blaze rolled his eyes at the proud spirit's short sightedness. Then again, it was only acting in accordance with its nature.

"The fish are foreign, it is true, but they have fled a terrible unbalance and have agreed to provide essential information in exchange for their their temporarily residing here," Blaze said, "the sooner we can defeat the Idigam, the sooner they will depart these lands."

He bowed again and looked to Bear.

"Anything else we need while we are here?" he asked quietly.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

King Sky Hunter gives a curt nod in reply to Blaze's bow.

(OOC: It will be a basic Wits + Survival tracking roll when you all get around to it)
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear sighs, "All right, lets try to find them before they're all killed off or go Magath."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wits+survival+hunting specialty (5d10)[8][9][1][6][8](32)
    ten again (5d10)[8][4][10][4][4](30)

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna is starting to get the hang of this and will switch to Urhan to track better. It shouldn't be that hard to find a shoal of fish in a forest.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Three successes in ooc

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeremy also shifts form, far more comfortable hunting in the shape Father Wolf made for him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    wits and -1 Survival and 4 wolf (6d10)[10][9][7][5][7][1](39) tens (6d10)[4][5][2][9][6][10](36)

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Anchor Wolves part ways from the Locus and King Sky Hunter, most of it's members bounding off on four padded legs. It takes the pack almost no time at all to gain the scent of the departed deep sea spirits; and once they are on the trail, they never lose it. Moving in almost perfect synchronicity, the Anchor Wolves tear back into the decrepit city of crumbling cyclopean buildings. Spirits scatter out of the way of hunters, always making sure to stay well out of reach of the racing Uratha. Though the buildings create a dizzying labyrinthine course, the group is able to follow their noses, only rarely needing to pause to sniff at the ground, or raise their head to huff at the air.

It takes less than fifteen minutes for the Anchor Wolves to come upon the the deep sea spirits, who appear to have taken shelter in the ruins of a toppled stone tower. Only a few days ago, the chorus of outside spirits had been numerous, filled with a significant number of Hursah and Ensih as well as a large flight of tiny lesser spirits, but now there numbers were depleted and only a handful of the more powerful spirits remained. Those deep sea spirits that had survived all appear emaciated, their previously vibrant spirit colors turned muted and sickly.

As the wolves slow to a halt before the makeshift cave, the leader of the deep sea spirits comes forward, puffing it's fins out almost protectively. "Uratha," it hisses, it's massive mouth opened wide to reveal a maw of hooked teeth, large enough to swallow an adult human whole, "why have you come here?" It's milky eyes betray no expression, but it's voice is filled with both sorrow and anger. The spirit, going by Hides in Blackness, seems to direct itself at Blaze, though it was talking to the entire pack. Hides in Blackness says, "Though we do not need your help... we have been forced to take hiding to survive! Have you completed your end of our bargain?"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear shifts back to human form to say, "We have. There is now a safe space near our den with essence safe for your consumption. It won't last forever, but we can renew it as often as needed until it is safe for you to return to your normal grounds."

"King Sky Hunter, the spirit who drove you away, has also been appraised of the situation. They should leave you alone from now on if you stay out of their way. If you wish it, we can escort you there now, so that you may begin to recover your strength."

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    "King Sky Hunter, the spirit who drove you away, has also been appraised of the situation. They should leave you alone from now on if you stay out of their way. If you wish it, we can escort you there now, so that you may begin to recover your strength."
    Joanna follows suit in shifting to human. She'll wait to see how the leading spirit responds to the offer of an escort before adding anything. Whether or not they agreed it looked like they needed the help.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hides in Blackness puffs up haughtily; one last instinctive show of pride. "I... We..." it fumbles for words, before finally seeming to deflate. As if in defeat, it says, "Your kindness is appreciated." Hides in Blackness floats forward, fully out of the doorway of the collapsed spirit tower, leading its diminished chorus of deep sea spirits. They follow the Uratha silently back through the maze of stone buildings and impossibly high walls, then out into the clearing and back towards the ocean.

Out in the open, small posies of spirits scuttle out of the way as the Uratha lead their charges. Spirits watch with curiosity, and the Anchor Wolves can hear their hushed questioning whispers in the First Tongue. Words of indignation, confusion, and inquisition prick at the sensitive ears of the proud werewolves.

Finally, the group lead the deep sea spirits to the small Well hidden under the docks, and are allowed to watch as the starved spirits feast on the collected Essence.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Remaining with four legs for the return trip, Jeremy watches the Shadow for anything untoward. After delivering their charges into their Well, he shifts back up and says "That was marvelous! We should make a habit of Hunting Shadow and Realm together this way. Now what's the plan?"

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna is relived. If the sea spirits hadn't wanted an escourt she could always have followed them without asking permission, but on the other hand she didn't want to offend them any further. On the way back she'll try to keep an eye on the local spirits, although none of them seemed that interested in trying anything with the Uratha here.

She'll smile at Jeremy's enthusiasm, 'I don't disagree, even though our friend drove them away in the first place. Is he likely to mess with them again?'

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"King Sky Hunter is prideful, but he's directly benefited and continues to benefit from our presence here. He'll probably never admit it out loud, but he owes us a great deal for dealing with the plague spirits. He also knows now that the deep sea spirits are a part of our plan to deal with the idigam, something he also wants to see through. I don't think he will mess with them, at least not so long as they don't do something to mess with him."

Bear looks around as he sighs, "In any case, one last thing I think, and then we'll get back to the other hunt tonight. Blaze, I think it might be best if we announced to the spirits around here that this is just a temporary thing for the sake of the balance, that we are not showing favoritism. Try and cut short any rumors or ill will. Agreed?"
    Last edited by Daishain; 2021-05-21 at 06:58 PM.