New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF II

Bear and Solomon continue to push forward into the old Harbor Wolves' territory. The ground slopes downwards as they move closer to the tower, grey spirit grasses giving way to turned up mud and soil where the ground had collapsed under the Harbor Wolves' manor. The duo cut hard paths through the Beshilu, harrying, bumping, shredding and biting away any Nihilith that are able to get too close. The two are able to draw the swarms of rats away from Blaze.

(OOC: Anything you want Bear and Solomon to accomplish or explore while acting as the distraction?)

Moving around the perimeter of the sunken field, Blaze makes his way to a patch of small leafy vegetation from which the pungent odor is coming from. Unlike the rest of the field, which is well fertilized with rodent droppings, these well planned rows of tannis appear to have been completely avoided. Standing in the field, the smell of licorice and rotted onions is nearly overpowering, so strong that it makes Blazes eyes and nose snot. The leafy tops are a vibrant, nearly neon green, and they seem to rustle in the still air air. Bear and Solomon had done an excellent job drawing away the Beshilu, and it seemed that Blaze would have all the time he needed to begin his harvest.

************************************************** ***************************

Jason nods his head in agitated acknowledgement of Kara's thanks. He has cut the strip of three tabs free, and pulls out some tinfoil. Then the dealer stops, instead rustling through a few drawers to find a thin yellowed blunt and a zippo lighter. He sticks the cigarette in his mouth and lights up, taking a deep pull and puffing dark brown smoke out of his nose. The room instantly becomes filled with the skunky aroma of pot.

Then Jason gets back to work, wrapping the three paper tabs in a bit of tinfoil and dropping it into a ziplock bag. He stands from his desk and walks back to Kara and Michael. He holds the ziplock out, but says, "You have cash right?" as he uses his other free hand to remove the blunt from his lips so that he can blow a dark brown cloud out between him and the Uratha.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze didn’t waste any time, transforming quickly and shoving what he needed into his pack.

Spoiler
    Show
    going to transform into the hairy dude form, forget what it’s called, because need hands to harvest stuff I guess.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear keeps tearing at the mass, hoping that Blaze could find what was needed. As good as this felt, he and Solomon couldn't keep it up forever.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    In terms of other things to accomplish, I think Bear would be looking for targets of opportunity. Leaders/paragons of the rat pack to kill for the most part. But he's not going to risk the main objective spending too much time/effort on that.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Blaze shifts again, bones and flesh pulling and stretching into a new monstrous form. Long hairy and clawed hands reach down and grab hold of the green leaves of the first plant. The tannis root comes out of the soft earth with a literal howl, as if some feral animal was struck a sudden blow. The root itself is a swollen tangle of greenish-yellow vegetation, wrapped around clods of dirt and strong in the rotten onion odor. Fortunately, the noise is lost on the masses of Beshilu that has focused itself on Bear and Solomon.

(OOC: so does Blaze have a backpack or a satchel or something with him? It would disappear when he shifts into the right form, but could materialize with him in his more humanoid forms)

As Bear rounds the tower, greater numbers of dirty Nihilith pour out of the cyclopean structure. Though some of the rats are greater in size, clearly having cannibalized their kin, there are no clear leaders or even Rokhan. The rodents throw curses at the racing Uratha, who are too large and athletic to catch or corner. Promises of a painful death at the hands of the Plague gods fill Bear's ears.

Then Bear's eyes are drawn up to the tower. First it is the golden eyes that catch his attention, but then Bear catches site of a biped Beshilu studying him from a arched port hole. The fiend is dressed in red robes, similar to the great priest that Solomon had killed, though this Rokhan appeared younger, less overrun with tumors and disease.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear growls to Solomon, "Priest in the tower, want to take him from behind while I put on a show?"
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The corners of Solomon's muzzle pull up in a smile, revealing sharp teeth. "Sounds like a plan," he says in First Tongue over the screams of the rabid Beshilu.

(OOC: Go ahead and give me Presence + Brawl)
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear dashes forward, catching a knot of Beshilu with his claws, and giving the watcher a show to focus on while Solomon peels off.

Show
    Presence+brawl (8d10)[8][8][9][3][7][8][4][2](49)

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bear snarls as he dashes forward, drawing the masses of Beshilu towards him to meet his ferocious claws and fangs. The Rahu's mighty presence is enough to bring the entire swarm towards him, distracting the rats as Solomon slips back towards the Shadow. Bear tears into the oncoming Beshilu, nearly knocked off his feet as the wave of Nihilith crashes into him.

But to Bear's dismay, out of the corner of his eye he watches as Solomon approaches the giant stone tower. As the Irakka nears the tower entrance, rats begin to fall from between the cracks between the stone walls, raining down on Solomon. In moments Solomon is practically covered in a layer of squirming, wriggling and squeaking abominations.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear shouts, "No!" and tries to rush back to help his brother, abandoning the theatrics as he claws his way through anything in the way.

Show

Str+Brawl (10d10)[10][9][2][9][1][3][10][6][5][7](62)
    nine again (10d10)[4][2][3][5][9][7][2][8][7][6](53)
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-02-23 at 07:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

The smell of that skunky smoke wrapped around Kara and she took a deep breath. It was a lot more calming than what she was about to try and do. But the Beshilu were just one problem - albeit a big one - and they needed answers. The Cahalith wished she could have Blaze come with her. But dealing with her dreams and her...friend. That brought up old wounds, raw as the day they were inflicted.

So Kara made her payment to Jason, and stuffed the ziplock into her bag with a disarmingly bright smile. "Yeah. Thanks a bunch, really appreciate it!"
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Unaware of Solomon's plight and too focused on Bear, the Beshilu swarm is completely incapable of slowing the path of the Uratha. Within only a few moments, Bear has pushed through the crowd of sore covered rats to make his way to Solomon. The Irakka is fighting tooth and claw against the onslaught of Nihilith pouring from the stone parapets of the tower. Though covered in bite and tiny claw marks, Solomon's flesh continues to knit itself shut, and rather than appearing gravely injured, Bear's ally is instead simply unable to progress into the tower, as Bear begins tearing plump rats off of Solomon.

"No problem," Jason says, though his eyes dart away and his voice belies the man's anxiety for the Uratha to leave.

(OOC: Not sure if you are looking to do anything else here. If not, up to you Erulasto as to where Kara goes next)
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Kara led Michael out of Jason’s house with a final parting wave to the dealer. Once they were clear of the cloying stench of the marijuana, Kara took a deep breath. Lungs filling with the salty sting of the sea from their proximity to the sea.

”He really didn’t want us there…” Kara mused thoughtfully as she pulled the ziplock from her bag and inspected it carefully. ”Something about that vulture thing is giving me a bad feeling, y’know? Anyhow…I really appreciate the hook-up, Michael. Maybe I can help you score some roadies at our next concert to show my appreciation!” The Cahalith waggled her brows suggestively to Michael while they made their way back to his car.

”I’m going to let the others know we’re done here. Do you think you could like…drop me off at the harbour where we’re staying? I think that’s a good spot to start. But…I’m going to take this now and see what I can see.”

Kara fired a quick text via group-chat to her Packmates: <<Hope ur doing good. Gonna be AFK for a little bit. Michael will keep an eye on me. Wish me luck!>>

Show

I figure heading home. Kara is likely going to want to check in with the Reveler and have quick access to the Hisil if needed. Who know what this'll do....

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Blaze begins gathering up bulb after bulb of the tannis root, each one loosing a horrific shriek as it is pulled from the ground. Clods of dirt come up with each root, which Blaze stuffs quickly into his black backpack. The roots are not too big, each one about the size of a large apple when all their tangles are included.

Blaze is on the fifth one, when a spirit materializes from Twilight, bursting out of the ground in a spray of moist soil between the two rows of planted roots. "Uratha!" the spirit hisses, taking the form of a long serpiginous and eyeless worm. Sprouting from its black oily corpus grow hundreds of root appendages, covered in a similarly shiny black bark. It speaks from a mouth-hole at the tip of its body, where a head might be, the cavity lined in ribs of red meaty flesh. Accusingly it says, "Uratha, this field is not yours to harvest. You played no roll in its planting!"

Based on its sudden materialization, Blaze can assume that this is the guardian spirit of the field that he stands in.

”He really didn’t want us there…” Kara mused thoughtfully as she pulled the ziplock from her bag and inspected it carefully. ”Something about that vulture thing is giving me a bad feeling, y’know? Anyhow…I really appreciate the hook-up, Michael. Maybe I can help you score some roadies at our next concert to show my appreciation!” The Cahalith waggled her brows suggestively to Michael while they made their way back to his
    Michael shrugs uncomfortably at Kara's initial statement, but his face turns full on flush at her offer. "Oh, I'm fine," the kid says with a blushing ****-eating grin, "E and I have this thing going now... if you know what I mean." Michael couldn't be any older than a first or second year into college, and his youth was showing in the mixed pride and embarrassment that was playing out on his face.

”I’m going to let the others know we’re done here. Do you think you could like…drop me off at the harbour where we’re staying? I think that’s a good spot to start. But…I’m going to take this now and see what I can see.”
    Michael's eyes widen at the idea of Kara taking the acid now. He responds as if trying to cover for this surprise. "Oh, sure, I hear it can take a while to kick in anyways," he says as he gets back into the car. Michael adds, "I'll take us back to the factory. Uh, do you want me to like stick around and keep an eye on you? My friends and I took shrooms once in high school, and one of us stayed sober to make sure no one had a bad trip or got into any trouble."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

”You and E?!” Kara gasped with a pleased grin on her face. ”No ****! You sly dog! Good for you! Even a Uratha needs to get their rocks off now and again, y’know?” The Cahalith slugged Michael in the shoulder good-naturedly, before turning her gaze back to the tabs of acid in her hand.

”I was thinking about it.” She muttered softly. ”The factory works fine, but you don’t need to babysit if you’d rather go help the rest of the Pack. I don’t know you’ll be able to…like…do much to help? And…I mean…what kinda trouble could a werewolf on an acid trip get into?”

A whole lot, in all likelihood.

Show

I’m okay to have Kara take it now, but I figured I’d check in first to make sure this is an appropriate time story-wise for you, Mr. Storyteller.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“Greetings, garden spirit,” Blaze said, “I am
    Blaze of the crescent moon aspect, and Iron Masters. We have need of this root to help combat a great blight that plagues this land. All those who planted it have left this word. Come with us, and we will plant a new garden and help it grow.”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael's face goes beet red at Kara's excitement, but he offers very little.

Show
    So Kara already knew that, but this is something that happened while you were away. I don't mind hand waving this as Kara's first realization or whatever. It doesn't really affect anything important

”I was thinking about it.” She muttered softly. ”The factory works fine, but you don’t need to babysit if you’d rather go help the rest of the Pack. I don’t know you’ll be able to…like…do much to help? And…I mean…what kinda trouble could a werewolf on an acid trip get into?”

A whole lot, in all likelihood.
    Shrugging, Michael replies, "Nah, it's okay. I'm sure some of the wolfblooded will just be hanging out at the factory. E and I can hang with you while you trip."

Kara takes the first tab of acid when she gets in the car, it is maybe a little sour on the tongue, but the tab of cardboard is surprisingly tiny, smaller than a key on a keyboard.

Michael watches her expectantly out of the corner of his eye as he starts to drive them back.

The spirit scowls at Blaze, whose backpack is now half filled with tannis root. "This field is not yours to pillage, and I am not your ally Uratha. You did not plant this field, nor did you tend it. I request that you cease your foraging, and leave my field to flourish." It's voice is like the crackling of autumn leaves and the snapping of kindling.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Idiot spirit.

“Your field and everything around it will be destroyed by He Who Obliterates Breathing,” Blaze replied, “these Belishu are only the beginning. What will you accept for your blessing to harvest the Tanis root we need to combat the threat that endangers us both?”

He wasn’t beyond destroying the spirit to take the roots, but he would give it a chance to come to it’s senses first.
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The worm thing's maw opens again, though this time the mouth is rimmed with a bramble of thorny vines, creating rows of jagged "teeth". The spirit laughs mockingly at Blaze, again like the pops of wet wood thrown into a fire. "That spirit would never dare come near me," the field spirit says proudly, "Do you see how it's minions avoid this field, even though they have infested the den of YOUR kin?"

But the worm thing does not move closer, if anything seeming to draw slightly away from Blaze, lest the Uratha strikes out in a rage. "You have offered me nothing Son of Father Wolf! You give me no reason to offer my blessing!" This spirit was cunning, it was hinting for a Gathra, and was staying out of the immediate reach of Blaze's fangs.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    The worm thing's maw opens again, though this time the mouth is rimmed with a bramble of thorny vines, creating rows of jagged "teeth". The spirit laughs mockingly at Blaze, again like the pops of wet wood thrown into a fire. "That spirit would never dare come near me," the field spirit says proudly, "Do you see how it's minions avoid this field, even though they have infested the den of YOUR kin?"

But the worm thing does not move closer, if anything seeming to draw slightly away from Blaze, lest the Uratha strikes out in a rage. "You have offered me nothing Son of Father Wolf! You give me no reason to offer my blessing!" This spirit was cunning, it was hinting for a Gathra, and was staying out of the immediate reach of Blaze's fangs.
    Blaze snorted.

“I have seen it with my own eyes, it would destroy you with but a glance,” Blaze replied.

“I have offered to plant a new garden for you,” Blaze said, “a larger one. It is customary for you to counteroffer for something more fair, if this is not to your liking.”
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear keeps tearing rats off of Solomon, then look upwards, if the priest is still there and seems in reach, he'll go for the thing, if not, he'll urge his brother to resume what they had been doing.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The hovering spirit before Blaze seems unphased by the Uratha's words. "The Plague Spirit cannot come near my precious tannis," the spirit says defiantly, "that is why you are harvesting that which is not yours to gather, am I not correct?"

But Blaze's offer seems to soften the great worm thing, it's gaping mouth turning into a narrow slit that may be something like a smile, though with no other features it was hard to judge. "Yes, if you shall plant my tannis a field far away from this corruption, in a field where they can spread, then I shall yield to you my field."

The waves of rats pouring out of the crumbling tower was unimaginable, reminding Bear of the vast open chamber in the sewers where the floors were swallowed by leagues of writhing Beshilu. Even together with Solomon, the two Uratha were simply not making enough ground towards the building. And the masses of Nihilith that Solomon and Bear had eschewed to charge the tower were now closing in behind the Uratha. The stench of rodent droppings and pus was almost overwhelming now.

Perhaps Bear could call on The Reveler's powers, but would he and Solomon be able to escape after charging head first into the tower?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It was tempting, oh so tempting, but this was not what they were here for. The damage they might cause was not worth what the pack would lose if they lost both its warrior and its assassin in one foolish charge. Bear shakes his head and turns away.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“It shall be done, I swear it,” Blaze said, and continued harvesting as fast as he could.”
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bear and Solomon come bounding up to Blaze just as he is finishing up his work cleaning out the field of tannis root. His backpack is now stuffed to the brim with dirt clotted vines to the point that Blaze is struggling to zip the bag shut. Towering behind Blaze is a greasy giant worm, it's flesh the color of unpolished onyx.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear warily nods to the apparently peaceful spirit as he speaks to Blaze. "Looks like you're done, good, we can't stick around here for much longer."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“Yeah,” Blaze said, “we have to plant a new garden somewhere else, by the way, to replace this one. Let’s get out of here.”
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

"That sounds good, Michael. Might have to wander around a bit. See what sets me off, y'know? I want to check out the Locus." Kara said, as she slumped down in the passenger seat of Michael's car and reclined back as far as possible. She kicked her feet up onto the dashboard, and popped the earbuds of her ipod into her ears, queued up a playlist and hit play. The bitter taste that lingered on her tongue wasn't unpleasant. Like a sour candy, maybe.

The Cahalith sat and listened to music, eyes focused on the world speeding by out of the windshield, waiting for the tab to do its work. She let her mind wander back to dredge up the memories she'd accrued in their relatively short time in New Bedford. Even the painful ones.

Show

Sorry Benno. House got hit with a stomach bug. I didn't realize that I missed E and Michael hooking up in the stuff I read through. My bad!

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The three Uratha flee the Harbor Wolves' forsaken territory, canine legs carrying them far faster than the Beshilu can follow. Though a devastating blow had not been landed, they now had a serious supply of tannis root, which would be of great assistance in the coming battle with He Who Obliterates Breathing.

Do the three Anchor Wolves return to the Locus and shift back to the world of Flesh, or do they have some alternative plan?

It's no more than a twenty minute ride back to the warehouse, and Kara still isn't feeling anything just yet. Michael seems to be watching her cautiously as Kara gets out of the car and helps him shut the chain link fence closed. The sea breeze his cold and throws salt into the back of Kara's nose. Gulls soar lazily overhead. Though it is not particularly warm, this is a rather pleasant New England day; the sun still hanging high in the sky, though it will begin to set in just a few hours.

The boxy warehouse sits inert, neither threatening nor a particularly attractive piece of architecture, though it has become home for Kara. Around and behind the factory, Kara can see the tip of the crusted monolithic locus, and can hear the wood creaking in the waters from the dock that it seems to have erupted through.

Michael finishes parking his car, and comes back to Kara's side, asking, "So, where to now day tripper?" He offers her a bashful smile.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

In some ways it would have been better to hurt more. A painful blow sharpened the mind, focused will into swift and direct action, let you know you were still alive and reminded how close death can come in a moment of indecision or hesitation. Instead Solo was covered snout to tail in tiny scratches that could not heal as he ran, as every new leap of his hindquarters pulled the wounds back open. They hurt for sure, but not in the way that focused the mind, merely in the way that led to deep irritation. It was probably all in his mind but he was sure he could feel the forces of corruption and poison battling with his mighty Uratha constitution in a hundred tiny battlefields stretched out like spider webs all over his body. He was, in short, in an ill mood considering the success of their mission. 'Great job you two.' He said in clipped terse words, hiding from them as best he can his mounting frustrations. 'Let's get all this safely back to the den, then we can decide our next move.'
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Kara wasn't entirely familiar with how long the drug would take to start to kick in, but there was a pit of anxiety in her gut that made her wish it would just hurry up and do so. It was, in a round about way, due to the unanswered questions that had been plaguing her. The unrepentent fear that was always a prelude to dreaming sleep didn't help matters.

The Cahalith kicked about the lot their warehouse sat in, mind wandering while music played in her head. When drawn from her reverie by Michael, she flashed the newest member of their pack a wan smile.

"Maybe the Locus to start?"