New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF II

Spoiler: OOC@Ladorak:
    Show
    Please post in the OOC thread with your character information, I created my own link at the top of the new OOC thread, but this way you can modify and update your information in the thread as well.

Michael nods his head in agreement, then follows Kara out to the dock. The bite of the wind and the spray of the ocean is even stronger here, and if Kara is not wearing anything with sleeves, her skin almost immediately begins to goose bump. The wind whips her and Michael's hair in their eyes, picking up then waning like the rolling tide below that crashes into the dock and the man-made shore.

Though the sun is still high in the sky, the bay waters are black and impenetrable. Staring into the waters slowly becomes like staring into the void of a starless sky, or some midnight portal to another dimension. As Kara contemplates this, she begins to realize that her head is feeling heavy and buzzy. The head high is kind of like if she had taken an edible, only stronger and more focused, and more "alive". It suddenly becomes hard to tell if Kara has been standing on the docks for only a few minutes, or if an hour has gone by, and it feels like Michael can tell that the acid is finally kicking in, though perhaps he's just trying to offer a supportive smile.

Colors and shapes begin to take on new textures, losing focus or kaleidoscopic in cascading patterns. There is no body high, and Kara does not have the immediate urge to lay down that comes with smoking too much dope, nor the unsteadiness that comes with an alcohol binge. These visual hallucinations are most strong around the barnacle kissed locus, and the monolith begins to shimmer and cascade with power and Old Tongue ruins. It's hard to tell now if the high is getting stronger, or is plateauing and it is at this point that Blaze, Bear and Solomon, come across the Gauntlet, materializing in a flash of light and head onto the dock.

Spoiler: OOC@Erulasto
    Show
    I am totally cool with you deciding how Kara handles the trip, like go for it if you prefer. However, if you want to give it a little chance, you could roll Resolve + Composure to see if Kara keeps her cool while tripping on Acid, with a failure indicating that the trip is "not going well". Up to you.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear nods to Kara and Michael as they cross over, then says to Blaze, "Right, so, what's next with those things?"
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Bear nods to Kara and Michael as they cross over, then says to Blaze, "Right, so, what's next with those things?"
    “We need to weaponize them,” Blaze replied, “make them into paste and coat weapons or crossbow bolts with them, put them in syringes, blend them with water and load them in super soakers, whatever we can think of. We also need to prepare a battleground where we can lure Lord Plagueface.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-03-03 at 07:59 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I like the idea of the Resolve + Composure, so I'm doing that now.

Resolve 2 + Composure 2
    (4d10)[3][1][6][3](13)

Kara is fully expecting there to end up being some part of the trip that's bad. She's trying to forcibly induce visions. A Cahalith's curse on acid. Hehe

The feeling of staring into the endless black of the sea was like someone was slowly pushing her forward, as if seeking to dump her into the cold depths. When the realization settled into her foggy mind, the Cahalith turned away to the barnacle-encrusted locus.

She blinked too-wide eyes at Bear, Blaze and Solomon as they slipped through the Gauntlet and raised her hand in a small, almost idle wave. As they began to move on, Kara slowly shuffled towards the locus with a subtle sway in her step. She was raking her eyes across the surface airily, and raised fingertips to touch the surface she half-expected to feel briney somehow.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The preparation of the "Bane Potion" would not be difficult now that nearly all of the requisite ingredients had been acquired, and Blaze could see having production of the concoction started as soon as this afternoon; though of course they would probably need to get their hands on some large volume chemistry or cooking ware (OOC: I won't require rolls for this). Weaponizing the Bane as Blaze had described would likely bee a bit more challenging of a task that would require further discussion, as would preparing a battleground.

Of course, Blaze had also made a few promises to a few spirits to get where he was, and would need to start making good on those Gathras.

Show
    Kara fails her roll and is going to have a bad trip...

As the Uratha discussed their plans, Kara began walking towards them. Her greeting was a wide eyed stare and a very self-conscious wave before she walked right past her Packmates and began shuffling towards the Locus. The monolith seemed to be wreathed in long tendrils of glowing power. Sigils danced across the Locus' surface, spelling out strange sentences that faded in and out too quickly for Kara to decipher. The LSD was definitely hitting now, and all of Kara's senses seemed to bounce and ripple and roll. The change in Kara's perception was actually starting to become overwhelming, and she could get the sense that everyone around her could tell that she was high. Her next step towards the Locus was misguided, and Kara stumbles and nearly falls face first on the dock.

The roar of the waves seemed to grow into a swell of laughter. The caws from the gulls ahead seemed to be deep with mirth and mocking. Michael was running down the docks after Kara, but his words seemed to be drowned out by the sounds of the world laughing at the Cahalith.

Spoiler: OOC@Erulasto
    Show
    The one thing I need you to clarify is what was the purpose of inducing the visions. I am a little unclear if it is to learn about the dangers in the Ocean, or more about the Beshilu and the Plague Spirits.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Solo eyed Kara feeling deeply uncertain. His predator's senses had immediately noticed the change in her breath, the dilation of her eyes, her slight loss of balance. Even her sweat smelt wrong, if he found her alone he would have assumed she had been poisoned, yet everyone else seemed to think she was fine and he caught the occasional knowing glances that were thrown around, though not at him.

'I am the scout, that duty falls to me. I will find you the perfect battlefield Blaze, no, the perfect ambush.' Solo frowned, Kara seemed to paying an inordinate amount of attention to the monolith, and none at all to anything else. Odd for a human, very odd for an Uratha. Even stranger when she stumbled, Uratha didn't stumble like that, with such utter lack of control. He opened his mouth to say something but as usual was a fraction too slow, she broke out into a run and whatever he had to say turned into a soft wordless noise of alarm. He would have left her go, Cahaliths in general and Kara in particular were known for this sort of confusing nonsense and Solo had learnt to stay well out of it, but it suddenly dawned on him she was heading straight for the ocean. Seeing Mike take off after her only partly allayed his fear.

Still not understanding at all he looked to the others in mute confusion hoping for some explanation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear looks to Blaze, "The wolf bloods should have come up with a few things, how about you go check in with them, see what can be worked out. I can take a look for a battlesite with Solo, get a second perspective out there..." The Rahu trails off as the situation at the dock unfolds. He starts moving in Kara's direction.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Bear looks to Blaze, "The wolf bloods should have come up with a few things, how about you go check in with them, see what can be worked out. I can take a look for a battlesite with Solo, get a second perspective out there..." The Rahu trails off as the situation at the dock unfolds. He starts moving in Kara's direction.
    Blaze nods, but then with the situation at the dock, and with two others already chasing after Kara, he moved to the locus in case it’s just some kind of distraction.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

Sorry Benno, I should have been clearer. Kara is trying to learn about the underlying danger in New Bedford. The Beshilu are an immediate problem, but she doesn't want the Pack to be caught unaware by something else.

The sounds of the ocean. The call of the culls. The dancing sigils and the indecipherable words on the Locus. By themselves, each of these would have been okay. But together?

Together it was just too much.

Kara landed on her knee's - hard - as she stumbled on the old pier. Some last, lucid part of her brain knew this wasn't going to be pleasant; knew that Michael and the rest of her Pack were just behind her. Somewhere. But it all felt so far away.

As the Cahalith pushed herself back to her unsteady feet, she rubbed her hands across her face, leaving streaks of whatever grime was on the ground on her pale skin. In spite of this, her feet carried her further onwards - as if she was being called.

Eventually she came to the Locus and pressed against the cold monolith. It was a steadying presence, but nowhere near enough to pull her from the brink of whatever she was seeking. The cold stone under her hands was euphoric. Not the same as the LSD, but it sang to her in a way that she had fought for so long.

It was the call of the spirits.

Kara turned her eyes to the ocean once more. The answers had been just out of reach. Now, maybe she would find some. Would the Reveler be on the other side? Would Glimmande be there?

Whether she was aware of it or not, Kara allowed the presence of the Locus to fill her as she prepared to step sideways into a realm she had only seen as if through blinders. If the normal world held such fantasies, would the Hisil be...more?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Memories of her dream-vision begin to flood Kara's brain. She remembers standing on this dock in her dream, across from the owl formed Moon Spirit as it warned her against the dangers in the ocean. Strange forms had crawled out of the ocean then to try to drag Kara under in that dream.

So it was impossible not to see the slimy forms that were writhing like fish just under the surface of the dark blue waters. Eldritch things swam in these waters, were watching Kara with swollen round yellow eyes, reaching for her with claw or finned hands. Indeed Glimmande had warned Kara about these abominations that defied the rules governing Mother Luna and Father Wolf's worlds. Blaze had found the name Idigam in The Museum, and Solomon had heard of them called Deep Ones.

The ocean seemed to be teeming with these creatures. Scaly hands and webbed dorsal fins broke the roaring waves in the thousands. The waters seemed to be boiling over with these Deep Ones. Were they climbing out of the ocean for Kara now? Did anyone else see them? The vision was so intense, so realistic, it was hard to tell if this was really happening.

Then the rats began to pour out of the waters. Climbing up the dock, racing onto the concrete shore in the thousands. The Beshilu raced from the ocean, rushing past the other Anchor Wolves who stood behind Kara with concerned and confused looks on their faces. The rats ran right past the Uratha, who seemed completely unaware of the flood of scurrying rodents.

Michael's voice was nearby, but somehow incredibly distant. Where was he? He was asking if Kara was alright, his voice pleading and desperate, but it seemed so unimportant.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Idigam….” Kara spoke through the mind-haze, though her own voice sounded distant and distorted. The Cahalith leaned heavily against the Locus for support as her vacant eyes saw the pale, slimy things in the water. Her resounding shriek at the sudden influx of Beshilu across the pier pierced the air as she scrambled aside as if to keep out of their tumultuous passage.

Kara looked up at her Pack and the swarming rat-things. Were they being chased from the depths by the Idigam? There was a cancer deep under New Bedford, and Kara would be damned if it would catch them unaware.

With some semblance of resolve solidifying in her, the Cahalith spared one glance up at the rest of her Pack looking at her with such desperation.

Then, she slipped into the Hisil.

Show

If I recall correctly, it’s 10 – Harmony to reach through the Gauntlet. Kara’s Harmony is 7, so 3 dice.

(3d10)[8][6][1](15)

Plus 2 dice for being at the Locus.

(2d10)[10][2](12)

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Kara disappears across the Gauntlet, her body and spirit being squeezed and pulled through the membrane separating worlds. Perhaps it was her unnaturally human Harmony, or perhaps it was the LSD, but the transition seems to take longer this time, a more excruciatingly painful experience.

When Kara comes across into the Shadow, she finds herself on the familiar dock in the other worldly land of the spirits. The land around the locus appears to be much more in harmony than when the Uratha first arrived, a pleasant mix of scavanger and water spirits float happily about, scattering suddenly as the Uratha materializes.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Blaze arrived at the dock just behind the other two.

“Guys do you know what in the world she’s doing?” he asked.
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael frantically replies, "We went and got Kara some acid, like we talked about, so she could have one of her Cahalith visions or whatever. She's really high right now. I think we need to stop her!" With that, and without waiting for a reply or agreement, Michael puts a hand on the towering Locus, and disappears as he Reaches across into the Shadows.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"Ugh, I swear, it's like she's never gotten high before," Blaze said.

"C'mon man, let's go get her and bring her back, make sure she doesn't do anything stupid," he said to Bear and anyone else near the locus.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear nods, and immediately reaches for the hisil along with the others.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    10-Har+loc (6d10)[3][10][5][10][2][1](31)

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bear vanishes out of existence as he chases after Kara.

(OOC: If anyone chasing Kara wants to spend an Essence they can "catch up to her" reaching instantly rather than taking two turns. Alternatively this can be accomplished with an exceptional success. This is the only reason these rolls matter here, and why I am waiting for TC, and giving Diashain an option. That said, Bear had 2 10s, which mean its time to roll some 10 agains: [rollv]4d10[rollv]

EDIT: Ugh, typo. See OOC thread. )
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-03-08 at 02:55 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

The process of moving through the Gauntlet was not new to Kara, but the pain of the experience certainly was. Was it because of the LSD? Her connection to the world of flesh? She certainly didn’t know. But when she came through, she gasped for breath and rubbed her eyes as if to ward away the remnants of the pain.

Finally, the majesty of the Hisil unfurled before Kara, and the Cahalith took several tentative steps forward. The new Harmony in the area was, perhaps, barely noticed within the vivid imaginings of her mind.

Kara spared only a moment or two of notice for the scavenger and water spirits scuttling about the beach, before making her way closer to the water’s edge.

What was down there? What scared the Beshilu so badly

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

'LSD?' Reggy hissed in sudden fury, he had clamped down his teeth to prevent a snarl and it made the accusation all the more guttural. Rage swelled and he quickly shoved his hands in his pockets to prevent the aggressive straight armed shove he knew would be coming; a wolf's instincts rising to the front, to teach, to punish, to establish dominance or position, wolves did everything the same way. Humans, for all there flaws, had far more options to teach and learn, and restrained violence was no longer considered one of them. 'Micheal we are constantly under threat of attack, and you two thought it would be a good idea to obliterate all of your senses!'
    Still simmering Solo follows Bear and Blaze into the Hisil

Spoiler
    Show
    10 - Harmony 7 + 2
    (5d10)[4][7][1][5][6](23)
    10again
    (5d10)[7][6][8][10][5](36)
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Stumbling to the water's edge, Kara's senses are practically blown apart by the mix of the other-wordly shimmering and shifting of the Shadow water and the kaleidoscopic shifting hallucinogenic patterns that overlaid them. The visual freak show was enough to literally knock the Uratha to her knees, as lesser spirits began to gather closer to observe the absurd scene. Geometric patterns in liquid blues and shimmering golds overlap with rippling First Tongue sigils glowing with power.

Then Kara's attention is drawn to an island floating just at the edge of the horizon. The collection of sand was at once impossibly far away and monumental. A fiery light shone from a stone tower that reached into the heavens from this island, as if calling to Kara. The sight was at once beautiful and terribly sinister, like The Devil's faustian invitation. This was surely where the Idigam dwelt; their fortress. This vision was no hallucination; Kara is certain.

Bear materializes in the Hisil, his passage not nearly as traumatic as Kara's. He arrives to find Kara a few yards away, collapsed to her knees and swaying in the course beach sand as she stares off at an empty horizon.

Spoiler: OOC: For those skipping the OOC thread
    Show
    @TC and Ladorak: Could spend a WP for 3 extra dice on this roll. Alternatively, Blaze can just try Reaching again. I won't make you keep rerolling till you get a success, he will just show up "Late" relative to those who succeed on their first roll.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-03-09 at 04:58 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear moves to kneel by Kara, watching the water edge a bit warily as he puts an arm around his packmate. "Easy there, focus Kara, focus on my voice."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

As Bear settled down next to Kara and wrapped his large arm around her, the Cahalith half-jumped, startled by the sudden contact. She did not turn her gaze to her packmate, instead keeping them leveled – unblinking – at the distant isle that crested the horizon.

Kara raised a hand, and pointed out across the waves to the tower that her eyes could only see.

”The Idigam….from the tower on the horizon…..” The Cahalith mumbled. ”Drove the Beshilu inland….scaly fish-things. Tentacles. Things in the deep.”
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2020-03-10 at 01:18 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No re-roll
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

If Bear looks out over the horizon where Kara is pointing to, he can see a far off speck. Perhaps it is a distant island, though he can't be certain. He can see no tower, nor scaly things in the water, though perhaps he is wise enough to believe a Cahalith when she is having a vision.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear frowns, not sure where the line between vision and hallucination was in a case like this. Still, this was why she'd taken the drugs in the first place. "I'm here Kara, whatever's happening, I won't let it get to you. Can you describe these things? What are they doing?"

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

"A tower burning with light....out on the horizon." The Cahalith began, unblinking eyes wide and blown pupils glassy staring out at the sea. Tears had begun to trickle down her cheeks - the visions glorious on a deeply emotional level. "It's...beautiful....the Idigam...they rule from there. I can feel it...in here." Kara said, patting her chest. "And, there are monsters in the deep. I don't...know if they're the Idigam or...servants? Maybe...." She trails off distractedly as if spacing out for a moment.

"Fish-things. They walk like men...cold eyes. And tentacles...vast and terrible. The Beshilu were chased...into...New Bedford. I think...." The Cahalith said with an airy breath.

Show

Sorry for the delay!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

In Bear's embrace, the Cahalith began to regain her control. Bear was here. Her pack was with her. Kara would be okay, even if the visions continued for a few more hours. This would pass.

As Kara speaks, Bear can see her starting to settle, her eyes starting to focus a little more.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear just keeps sitting with Kara for a while, waiting for the others to join them.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael arrives where Kara and Bear are seated at the water's edge. The puppy appears out of breath as he runs over to the two. Through struggled breaths he says, "Oh, uh, is everything okay?"
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear looks to Michael, "It ought to be fine, looks like it just hit her a little hard. She's calmed down for now."