New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Bonus Action Option Bonzana - The DM safety net

So as a DM, I discovered something interesting about action economy and PC psychology.

Your players will rarely take a "neat " option that cost them an action. Unless its central to the current conflict and will make all the difference, they'd rather use attacks, spells, etc..

However, they are more liberal with their bonus action. I discovered last game the degree of self doubt players experience when they are overwhelmed with potential bonus action choices.

Barbarian:.. Do I go into a rage, or I use the healing item..

Rogue/Warlock: do I use cunning action, do my Hex spell, etc

And they ask me for cool custom magic item which I don't mind creating for them. But theres a slightly poisoned pill:

Most "cool" magic item will cost them a bonus action to activate.

I mean.. It's so great. I discovered basically a self-limiting mechanics that I can use to shower cool stuff to my players without them breaking the game balance too much. And they won't feel cheated by these limitations because they can still do their "core" actions/movements.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Bonus Action Option Bonzana - The DM safety net

Yep, I'm pretty sure the bonus action dilemma was central to the games design. I don wonder what a "neat" option is though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Yep, I'm pretty sure the bonus action dilemma was central to the games design. I don wonder what a "neat" option is though.
    Extra movement
    Hex spell
    Extra minor buff

Etc.. Not actual powerful spells or attacks

4. - Top - End - #4

Making one more attack with an off-hand weapon?

The OP does have me pondering, however, on what would happen if I offered players situational affordances as bonus actions instead of object interactions, like "You can throw the lever to close the portcullises in this castle, but they are heavy and it costs a bonus action."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Personally my favorite "neat" options are things like using the Wand of Carols to try and force our foes to sing Christmas Carols as they fight for 1 minute. It has no mechanical effect, and they're still able to do things like cast spells or sing under their breath to make Stealth checks. Its just a funny thing to do. Or use my Cloak of Billowing to make it billow heroically as I face a deadly foe.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D