New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Raising troglodyte hatchlings

My group has recently cleared a dungeon and left a clutch of 6 troglodyte eggs orphaned. They would like to attempt to hatch/raise them in the group.

My question is does anyone have suggestions for how I could go about this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Raising troglodyte hatchlings

This depends a lot on how much stock the dm puts in the phrase "usually chaotic evil" and how much they think that is a result of nature or nurture.

As for the actual mechanics of it, you'll need either a bonus to your spot checks to beat their camouflage or a way to bypass that altogether. The stench will be easy to deal with, all you need is a few remove poisons or poison immunity. It isn't even a very hard save to meet anyway.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-09-22 at 08:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm the dm for the game. For the sake of keeping it interesting I'm going to go with mostly nurture over nature unless they don't take care of them in which case they may start to be rebellious.

I haven't been a dm in years and was hoping for a bit of guidance on maybe how to work some stats for them or possibly issues I could use for them carting around baby trogs.

They are very excited and have even already picked out names and are trying to locate a "nanny" to watch then while they dungeon crawl.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Awwww that's cute. The adventures are raising some lizard creatures.

5. - Top - End - #5

I suppose you could look at how rearing/training animals works with the handle animal skill and maybe use diplomacy instead in order to teach basic life skills. If you mean stats for the troglodytes themselves, the giant actually has a workable stat block that can be used for all babies:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Here are the stats you actually need for a hatchling dragon:

Movement: Gets away if you let it.
    Saving Throws: Miraculously survives all accidents.
    Armor Class: You hit.
    Hit Points: Congratulations, Baby-Killer.
    Special Qualities: I hope you can live with yourself.

Coincidentally, these are the same exact stats for every other species of baby.
    The issues for carting around baby trogs would be keeping track of them despite their natural camouflage abilities, and not being too sickened by their worse than usual baby smells to take care of them properly.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Excellent. Thank you very much for the help. I was kind of at a loss as far as really how to do it beyond congrats here's some kids.

Any other suggestions and/or unique things I can throw their way involving this I'd be open to.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mectain View Post
    Excellent. Thank you very much for the help. I was kind of at a loss as far as really how to do it beyond congrats here's some kids.

Any other suggestions and/or unique things I can throw their way involving this I'd be open to.
    Make sure that the adventurers will raise the trogs right. A good trog is a good parent.

8. - Top - End - #8

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mectain View Post

Well somethings i would do it make a few problems for your PC, like what the babies like to eat, when they need to eat, how much, the temperature they need to be kept at, how long it takes for them to grow. i would also make a dice chart of things, that could happen with them or they might do. they smell, they make noise, they poo in the wagon, they eat your bow. all things that could make life harder, then do some random stuff. "the stench draws in a giant to your camp, or a roc steals one" you can actually make them an adventure in themselves. the other thing you have to look into is checks in taking care of them, handle animal, heal, diplomacy, linguistic, all different checks will come into play. and teaching them will be fun too. i would also make ramifications for them being around. The PC know they are "harmless" but townsfolk or guards won't care what the PC say, they are evil creatures to them. think about a tiefling just trying to walk into a city, its not a good time.

all this and more can be done with them. "BBEG in his monalog, then the baby cries" could you hold on a sec, my baby trog needs a bottle of tuna

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

I like those suggestions and I now know what I'm going to be doing tonight. I also really like turning it into an encounter of itself with drawing enemies and having issues with the townspeople.