New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Age: Origins?

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Despite the archaic graphics and clunky mechanics, I still view DAO as the best of the bunch. DAI is more polished but less involving and a bit of a grind to play through. DA2 has its positives but is undermined by those recycled dungeons and repetitive waves of enemies.

Yes, though it will probably take a while for DAO to get to Steam.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/3...rning-to-steam
    Uh. It's already out, no?

I even bought it, though I haven't tried installing it yet.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    From the sounds of it they'd be stuck with Origin regardless--even if you purchase the game on Steam it will launch via Origin, according to the article. Ubisoft did something similar with a game I have (I think it was Driver: San Francisco?) where, when you launch the game from Steam, it fires up UPlay and then launches the game from there.
    I think Ubisoft has doen that with every single game of theirs that was released on steam in the past decade or so. It's annoying, but at least most of my games are still visible in the same library.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

From loading the game, there isn't any Origins in sight, which is good news to some of you.

Downsides? Since the old Bioware store is closed, you probably need to "hack" the DLCs into the game. And I'm not sure where to get Awakening either.

EDIT: Awakening is sold separately. I guess I'll grab it at the Christmas sale.
    Last edited by Grif; 2019-11-14 at 09:25 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Uh. It's already out, no?

I even bought it, though I haven't tried installing it yet.
    Well, I’ll be a nug’s uncle.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Downsides? Since the old Bioware store is closed, you probably need to "hack" the DLCs into the game. And I'm not sure where to get Awakening either.
    Steam has the Ultimate Edition which includes all DLC, so I seriously doubt they're requiring you to hack anything if you buy that one.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Steam has the Ultimate Edition which includes all DLC, so I seriously doubt they're requiring you to hack anything if you buy that one.
    I did put hack in quotes.

(You mostly need to download the dazip files manually, and then install them with the game DLC installer. Ah, a primitive way for a more primitive time.) I can confirm that they work without a hitch so long you have the files on hand.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Overall it's a good game, but it definitely cheats against the player at several points. First off, you can't save in combat. That's horrible: when a fight comes in definite sections, any of which can go badly, and you can't save a good position because it's only halfway through a fight, that's just taking the mickey. Second, most of the time you want to leave most of your characters safe, run up to the bad guys and then run back to your friends, but they have a cut-scene animation that takes all of your friends to the bad guys, so you have to fight them at a disadvantage. Thirdly (this is only annoying, not hurtful to your figthing chances as such), since all fights start in a cutscene, you can't save after the cutscene, so you have to go through the thing every blinking time you lose the fight.

I've probably said all of this before, but it's annoyed me the same way again today.

Overall it is good, but it could have been so much better.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    First off, you can't save in combat. That's horrible: when a fight comes in definite sections, any of which can go badly, and you can't save a good position because it's only halfway through a fight, that's just taking the mickey.
    Save mid-combat? Blasphemy.

Actually, I don't think I've ever encountered an RPG where you can save mid-combat. Certainly none of the Dragon Age games allow it.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2019-11-17 at 06:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Saving against combat is not a "cheat against the player", it's intended to prevent you from soft-locking your game by saving it in an unwinnable position.

10. - Top - End - #220

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Saving against combat is not a "cheat against the player", it's intended to prevent you from soft-locking your game by saving it in an unwinnable position.
    That's only really an issue if there's only one save slot, which is generally not the case--plus, a lot of more modern games also have autosaves designed specifically to avoid the "Oh, damn, I just died and I haven't saved for six hours" issue.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

That's only really an issue if there's only one save slot, which is generally not the case--plus, a lot of more modern games also have autosaves designed specifically to avoid the "Oh, damn, I just died and I haven't saved for six hours" issue.
    It's idiot proofing, more than anything.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

There IS an auto save in DAO. I’m a Save Scummer so I never use it.

Saving mid-combat is a different issue, however.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2019-11-18 at 05:09 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Moving forward in DAO, I have dragged Alistair to Denerim and said he should be the next king. I am now robbing everything I can find, again.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

For those interested, GOG has the Ultimate Edition of DA:O also.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Bugbear in the Playground

I tried to play it, and liked the little I saw, but the Ultimate Edition on steam just keeps crashing in random points, and I'm so tired of troubleshooting it. Ended up uninstalling.

I'd just like to know, do Duncan / Grey Wardens have a GOOD reason to just out right murder those who don't consent to drinking darkspawn blood during initiation? That was a little bit too grimdark for me. :[
    Well that was awkward.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    I tried to play it, and liked the little I saw, but the Ultimate Edition on steam just keeps crashing in random points, and I'm so tired of troubleshooting it. Ended up uninstalling.

I'd just like to know, do Duncan / Grey Wardens have a GOOD reason to just out right murder those who don't consent to drinking darkspawn blood during initiation? That was a little bit too grimdark for me. :[
    A very good reason, yes. They were given a chance to back out and then tried to wimp out past the point of no return. The ritual for making a Warden is secret and for good reason; once it's revealed there's no going back, lest the secret get out.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Bugbear in the Playground

Because otherwise recruiting would become way more difficult? Still sounds awfully scummy thing to do.
    Well that was awkward.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Because otherwise recruiting would become way more difficult? Still sounds awfully scummy thing to do.
    Doing scummy things for the sake of defeating the Blight is more or less the Grey Wardens' entire deal.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

19. - Top - End - #229

BlackDragon

Drinking Darkspawn blood is a pretty scummy thing to be doing in the first place, which is why the Grey Wardens keep that part of the initiation ceremony quiet. If the world at large knew they did that they'd lose the trust people have in them.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

There's also the little matter that it is literally impossible for anyone who isn't a Grey Warden (and very specifically went through that ritual of drinking darkspawn blood) to ever successfully kill an Archdemon and end a Blight, for reasons you learn near the end of the game.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #231
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, I still have that. I've been dealing with it through the game, but I've been TRYING to play this game for so long that I've been perservering.

A few notes: I did beat Flemeth and the Dragon near Haven. With Flemeth, I had Shale draw aggro with RangerLeilana's Bear, while Wynne, Leilana, and I (a Duelist/Assassin) shot her with magic and magic arrows. It was surprisingly effective and relatively boring. The dragon near Haven was similar, but it was no Leilana, and instead Morrigan.

Do we ever find out more about the dwarf Dagna, who left Orzamar to join the Circle? And how are all these dwarves fighting on the surface if going to the surface means you stop being a dwarf, in the eyes of the dwarves?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Yeah, I still have that. I've been dealing with it through the game, but I've been TRYING to play this game for so long that I've been perservering.

A few notes: I did beat Flemeth and the Dragon near Haven. With Flemeth, I had Shale draw aggro with RangerLeilana's Bear, while Wynne, Leilana, and I (a Duelist/Assassin) shot her with magic and magic arrows. It was surprisingly effective and relatively boring. The dragon near Haven was similar, but it was no Leilana, and instead Morrigan.

Do we ever find out more about the dwarf Dagna, who left Orzamar to join the Circle? And how are all these dwarves fighting on the surface if going to the surface means you stop being a dwarf, in the eyes of the dwarves?
    Dagna shows up again in Inquisition. And simply being on the surface is not, by itself, generally enough to completely remove your stone sense immediately. Its more of a drain over time. But for the high ranking shapers, who rely on an extremely sensitive stone sense, even a small loss is dangerous to their station.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

I think there's some kind of special dispensation given to the dwarves who leave to fight on the surface according to the treaties. The Legion of the Dead officer might mention it at some point.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-11-21 at 11:05 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

The Grey Wardens will do whatever they perceive as necessary to defeat the Blight.

Unfortunately, this also means they do things they definitely should NOT do because they think it’s necessary.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2019-11-21 at 12:17 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235

It's almost as if the game that removed a binary good/evil meter and instead gave you personal "do they like me or think I'm an ass" meters for each character, that named the organization you're part of the GREY Wardens, is morally in the middle as opposed to really being a force of light or darkness.

I don't know it's just a feeling I get.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's almost as if the game that removed a binary good/evil meter and instead gave you personal "do they like me or think I'm an ass" meters for each character, that named the organization you're part of the GREY Wardens, is morally in the middle as opposed to really being a force of light or darkness.

I don't know it's just a feeling I get.
    but why are Morrigan and Sten judging me for wasting my time on some stupid villagers when there's bigger fish to fry, I'm supposed to be the good guy and savior of this land
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    but why are Morrigan and Sten judging me for wasting my time on some stupid villagers when there's bigger fish to fry, I'm supposed to be the good guy and savior of this land
    Morrigan just hates everything. Sten is more interesting in that he believes inaction against the blight to be both morally irresponsible and against your duty, and doesn't really understand how your various side quests help to fight it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Origins is still ultimately a very traditional fantasy RPG adventure, the Grey Wardens notwithstanding.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    ten is more interesting in that he believes inaction against the blight to be both morally irresponsible and against your duty, and doesn't really understand how your various side quests help to fight it.
    Actually, I think Sten would just prefer to get "be murdered by the darkspawn for failing in his duty" off his to-do list. You prancing around on a mountain trying to find the charred remnants of a dead woman, for instance, doesn't achieve that goal.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2019-11-21 at 03:02 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    They have their reasons, as explained by someone else, and that's something I actually really like. It leads to some interesting character stuff. What's his nut, the dwarf who's name I forget even though he's the best, despite everything he says, still has dwarven pride and feels kinda ****ty about it when you do stuff against it. It's cool, subtle characterization that I like.

Even if sometimes we get "Morrigan Disapproves" on everything. Or, if you're in DA2, Fenris Disapproves.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Origins is still ultimately a very traditional fantasy RPG adventure, the Grey Wardens notwithstanding.
    I mean this is true. You can definitely murder all the wizards and the wild elves, but the templers and the city folk? No dice, you're always saving them no matter what.

Not that this is even bad, necessarily. The game just isn't as grey as they think it is.