New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Among the Rough [IC]

Firuz opens his mouth to respond to the leader of the soldiers, but is caught off guard by their quick exit. He glances at his companions briefly and is about to continue on his way when the stranger approaches.

The Al'awsu smiles politely at the man. "Greetings, friend. Yes, I will admit to ignorance here. I am Firuz Inburq, and I'll let my companions introduce themselves."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Bart

Whose's ever face or description is on that scroll is going to have a baaaaad day." Bart remarks as he watches the squad march off.

"Not being from here is different then not belonging I guess. I suspect people are more polite in general if you are 8 feet tall and carry 30 lbs of angy looking axe on your back. You should give it a try. I highly recommend it. We're looking for the nearest guard post or administrative building. Any suggestions Sir....?" Bart trailed off hoping to pull a name from the mysterious man. Bart wasn't sure if he was a knight or not but figured a 'promotion' might help the conversation.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I find most people are more polite when they aren't around you or at the very least can't notice you Anjin thought as he heard Bart's comment, but he didn't want to contradict him. So instead he stayed silent, waiting for the stranger to introduce himself.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Really, with all the bustle and tumult of this city, and now the mercurial threat levels and sources, this new stranger ought to count himself truly blessed that Aajo didn't remove his kidneys for daring to surprise her.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

This city is foreign to pretty much all of you, but you have heard rumors, hearsay, and herd the common folk walking around to gather a little but of info that pertains to your current situation. The Emniyet Genel Iblis, lord of the Kiralık katil, is the defacto Lord Ruler of this city, he has implemented court houses within each area of the city, where the watch resides as troops who keep the peace, of which you just saw some, and where a Amīn al-Dawla Prefect lives, and holds open court, calling down judgement upon those who are bought to them. As to the corruption of this place? it is hard to tell, though, from what you have heard, people try to stay away from the Amīn al-Dawla Prefects as much as possible. There is a systemic lawfulness to the place, and all the Prefect's are held under the Tanriahmic law laid down by the great Tanri-Pasha* himself centuries ago. However, with most lawful realms and laws alike, ways have been generated to work around, or manipulate the system, which is all allowed, as long as you can justify the means within the law.

*May the great desert ever protect his greatness and bless his eternal rule
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

The dashing rogue bowed politely to Firuz and smiled, listening to his friends....not introduce themselves. He smirks as he listens to Bart prattle on "Guard station? Oh, you must be new here, I knew it, haha, but of course, that's why the Ole' Captain took a liking to you lot, she does, makes sure the newcomers are aware of her, she say's it enforces her authority, but I'm pretty sure she gets a rise out'o it." smiling, he continues "Well, apart from all that weight you are carrying, might I ask why you are looking for the closest Amīn al-Dawla Prefects house? Which is that way, by the way" he says pointing in the direction of the guards "Though, you ain't wantin to go there."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Bart

"Thank you! My name is Bart by the way. Why wouldn't we want to go to the Prefects House? Just had a few questions about the lay of the land. It would be easy for a stranger to break some archaic law in ignorance no?" Bart explains.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Firuz smiles slightly at the man's exuberance.

"The captain doing her duty is no problem, of course, but I thank you for the information nonetheless. Brother Bart is, of course, correct. We have some business in this jurisdiction and would ensure our actions cause no problems for others while we attend to it."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

The man smiles, "But o course! Ah forgot me name? I am a humble ranger from the East, G'Wain at your service, you lot are interesting, I mean, of course you can go to the prefect's house, but no law abidin' citizen would, you only go there when you have trouble you do, What is it you want to do? I mean, there isn't much here that is illegal, mostly, it's just when the 3 pillars are violated."

He looked at the others "You the only two that talk?", he said grinning as he took another bite of his crunchy apple.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"I feared it would be ruined to interrupt my companions" Anjin said, after his silence got so abruptly pointed out. "The name is Anjin, just a traveler from Tsukino. What are these three pillars you speak of?"

Play-by-Post Characters:

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Aajo

"Could be that it's safer for all that I stay quiet. There are men of war still debating which is worse, my bark or my bite." The smile that makes its way to her face isn't the kind that helps one sleep fearlessly at night.
    Last edited by LairdMaon; 2020-05-27 at 10:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Bart

"Its your bite. " Bart says to AAjo.

"three pillars? " Bart raises his voice in interest.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Gawain smiles as the others speak up, but feigns a look of shock at the revelation you have no idea about the 3 pillars. "The 3 pillars? well now, they are the basis of everything in this city, pretty much anything goes around here, assuming it does not violate one of the 3 pillars. The 3 pillars were laid down upon the land by the Great Tanri-Pasha, May the great desert ever protect his greatness and bless his eternal rule. He codified the 3 inalienable rights for all people within his domain, the great and vast desert. ṣalāt, zakāt, and ṣawm, as long as these 3 things are upheld, and not infringed upon, you may do as you please. ṣalāt is prayer, allowing you freedom of religion, regardless of your ethos, ethnicity, or even ability. zakāt is alms, or as the common folk call it, freedom tax, you must pay your alms, things don't run without money now, and the 3rd pillar is ṣawm, fasting, which is really more obedience, this is the one that the Prefects get most people on, if it is not strictly codified with words, how on earth can you justify your adherence to 'obedience'. You can't, or you get a great lawyer."

He shrugs "Really, you just have to know how to manipulate the outcome, avoid murder, cuz you just took their potential Alms away, hire a good lawyer, and avoid the guard, and you can do whatever you want."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Firuz frowns as the man finishes his explanation.

"You say anything is permissible so long as it does not cross these lines, and yet one of these lines is simply to obey what those in power decree? This, if I may say so, seems to be mere tyranny playfully masquerading as freedom. Avoidance of punishment does not freedom make."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"The right to obey, now that is a clever way to phrase it. Then again, I guess if we were never told not to do a certain thing, then we have not disobeyed anyone. I would guess that it is scoundrels who flourish under a system of law like this"

Play-by-Post Characters:

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

He nods at the words of Anjin "Indeed, and not's as simple as that either" he says to Firuz "It's not like any 'ole mucker can walk up to you and demand you do something, no, there are stations of authority, those in charge, the prefects are in charge of their prefectures, they report to the Grand Prefectures, and so on and so forth, within their prefecture you literally have to do what they say."

"So, like I said, you do what you want, just don't get caught" he finishes with a wink, "anyway, nice talkin to you lot, I'm going to head off and get a few mugs of mead."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Bart

Bart waves bye at the friendly stranger. "Sigh, the worst possible answer. I fear this place may test my limited patience and impulse control. " Bart began to seriously wonder if he was going to get his companions killed in this place. "Truly Bahamut likes to test me."

"Well thanks for indulging me in getting the lay of the land. Perhaps you ought to take lead Anjin. Being subtle isn't really my thing."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

"All we have to do is find the place we were told about and not get caught while investigating this undead menace. Well, not get caught before we find any evidence that would justify us being there. Should be easy enough" Anjin starts moving again but quickly stops

"Does anyone actually know the way?"

Play-by-Post Characters:

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

As you stall, talking about how to get to the location you need to, as you were directed, a child materializes before you, slim and slender, the child is no more than 10 years old, her hair floats as she turns around in wonder, a smile creeping over her face, and then she see's you all and it blossoms into full joy.

She beckons you to follow her with a wave of the hand, and she takes off, running in the air, her feet not touching the ground, her hair streaming behind her, every now and then she stops and turns to make sure you are following.

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Bart

"Okay, that is not creepy at all." Bart points with a massive clawed hand. He falls in and follows the little girl.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2020-08-20 at 10:12 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Anjin, often described as a ghost himself, follows the child with graceful steps that leave no trace almost as if he too was not touching the ground either. While he encountered many strange and to him foreign creatures in his so far brief travels away from the isolated nation of Tsukino, this felt actually familiar to him. Tsukino is home too many spirits, both ghosts of the deceased and fey creatures and throughout his many lifetimes he had gotten very accustomed to them. The only thing you had to be wary of was that it could be hard to tell if one was trying to help or hinder you. Earlier he had asked the way and now it seems a spirit had appeared seemingly to help guide him, for a moment it felt like home. Now he just had to make sure if she was friend or foe

His new companion's reaction however put the occurrence in a slightly different light however.

"... your remark seems to suggest that this is not a common occurrence...?" Anjin asked with genuine confusion

Play-by-Post Characters:

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Bart

Bart pauses for a moment and looks around confused. "Your remark seems to imply this IS a common occurrence." Bart winks at Anjin.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2020-08-22 at 12:50 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Who is still here?

If anyone is, feel free to post, and we'll follow this little ghost girl, and I'll merge the parties
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Bart
    Bart picked up his pace to keep up with the ghostly figure. "Try to keep up."