Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 91 to 119 of 119
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Drifting off to sleep, Malachi awaits the nudists, or stalkers, or creatures of the night, or whatever they may be.

    -----
    (1d100)[67] Listen (20)
    (1d10)[10] bonus die

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    That’s a Success!
    ——

    You’re quite tired, but suddenly a THUMP catches your attention and rouses you. You see a figure as it leaps out of the window carrying a stack of books, and begins to rush off towards the graveyard...

    ----

    What do you do?

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Malachi watches carefully where the figure is headed, trying to stay hidden. Only getting up to follow it only if it leaves his line of sight. He wanted to figure out where this book thief was hiding, even if it was probably just Douglas.

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Please give me a Hard Stealth check (the figure has very keen sight and hearing).
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-31 at 07:45 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Malachi tries his best to be sneaky.

    -------
    (1d100)[99] Stealth (40)

    And because I can't remember if hard rolls come with a penalty die:
    (1d10)[8]

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Hard rolls mean that you have to get half of your value or higher. Nevertheless, I'm afraid that's a Fumble.
    ----

    Summoning all of your sneakiness... you trip over a root you fall to the ground with a sudden CRASH. The figure turns, and for a moment the far-away light from the study illuminates the figure's glasses as it breaks off into a sprint, dashing almost out of view. There's almost certainly no way that you're going to catch all the way up to it at this point, and to be honest, it's escaping from your weak human vision.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-02 at 01:36 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Rather than fruitlessly attpting to catch up with it, Malachi looks to see if he can find its footprints. He wanted to get a good look at them, see if the fresh ones were as misshappen as the ones he read about earlier.

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Just to clarify, it’s escaping. It hasn’t fully escaped yet.
    ——

    Spoiler: Successful Idea (Intelligence) Roll
    Show
    Could there be something you could say to try and make it slow down?

    Spoiler: Successful Combined Track and Hard Spot Hidden Roll Where Only One Must Succeed
    Show
    The tracks are indeed strangely misshapen, and you think you might be able to follow them.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-04 at 04:30 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Malachi looks around for the tracks. No need to run if he could follow it.

    -----
    (1d100)[48] Track (10)
    (1d100)[55] Spot Hidden (66)

    (1d100)[55] Idea (80)

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Malachi fumbles in the dark looking for the tracks. Unable to find anything and the shadow quickly escaping, he shouts out in desperation:

    "Douglas! I just want to give you something!"

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Well, looks like ya' figured it out (admittedly you also figured it out earlier, but shrug). Also, for reference Combined rolls are when you make one d100 roll and you compare it to both of the skills, in this case Hard Spot Hidden and Track.
    ----

    The figure moves away from its destination, as it eventually ends up sitting on a tombstone and pulls out one of the books, seemingly waiting for you. As you approach, it comes fully into view.



    As you then fully see it in its entirety, it sets down its book and says simply: "Let us speak." It is at this moment that you are certain, this... creature, with its rubbery-skin, hoof-like feet, canine features, and terribly sharp claws, is (somehow) without a doubt, Douglas Kimball.
    ----

    Please give me a Sanity roll.

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    ----
    Going to see how I do on the sanity roll before I post his reaction.

    (1d100)[40]

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    That’s a Success so luckily for you, you lose no Sanity. Perhaps you don’t truly believe what you’re seeing, or maybe your mind simply fully doesn’t understand it, but either way, your mind remains intact.

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Malachi blinks. Surely he is wearing some sort of costume, or some kind of deformity caused by disease. He steps forward and hands him his journal.

    "I thought you might want this." He pauses a moment, carefully chosing his next words.

    "I was hired by your family, they were quite worried by your disappearance. I'm not going to ask you to return to them if you don't want to, whatever you've found out here seems to be interesting and make you happy, but you should at least give them a proper goodbye. A letter perhaps?"

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    He smiles, barring a terrible grin of pointy and sharp teeth (such realism, you wonder). However, after you make your recommendation, the grin falls away, replaced with a sort of glare, one that looks eerily similar to a lion looking towards a gazelle... "He cannot know. Nothing can change my mind on this." He then looks towards the house with a slight hint of longing. "This world that I currently inhabit was not made for my nephew. Any contact I have with him risks pulling him into it; this is for his safety."
    He then turns back and looks pointedly towards you. "And who is it exactly that was hired by my nephew? Also, why not sooner, why it's been over..." He pauses thinking something over. "Over a year since I left? Why now?"

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Slightly unnerved, Malachi awkwardly smiles back even as he is being glared at. Uncanny craftsmanship.

    "Malachi Stroud, from the Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained. Pleased to meet you." Malachi extends his hand for a shake by force of habit, and clumsily withdraws it as he looks again at the rubbery skin. "Thomas noted the book thefts, and thought they may be connected to your disappearance. I assume the mystery has been eating at him all this time and the missing books were all he needed to start looking again."

    "No need to be truthful, just a note to give Thomas some closure. Tell him you've absconed to Aruba and joined a primtivist commune. Or set off to join a monastery in the far east. You're an imaginative fellow, I'm sure you'll think of something." Malachi raises an eyebrow, distracted more the mystery and ignorant of any possible danger. "But, out of personal curiousity, what is this dangerous new World you speak of? Is it responsible for your... magnificent costume?"
    Last edited by KoboldEmperor; 2019-11-06 at 06:30 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    He makes a rather surprised expression. "Why Thomas noticed that? I had hoped that he would not notice my 'intrusion' into my own dwelling." It then sets down his book and extends a rubbery claw. "But it is splendid to make your acquaintance Mister Stroud." He then thinks for a moment. "You know, I've read several scintillating tales of mystery and intrigue. Your chosen occupation is indeed quite fascinating!"

    However, again at the concept of the letter he shakes his head. "Such statements would draw questions. It is better for him to think me gone. He can form such conjectures of his own volition." He then raises an eyebrow towards the question of the other "world." Choosing to not cover the subject of the costume, Douglas Kimball then straightens his back and clears his throat. "I'm afraid, my good sir, that I was just too tired of my mundane existence among... well... all of you. The only thing which I desired was to be left alone and to read my books." He subsequently looks down at the pile of books which he "stole."
    "I wished for this, and yet no matter what would happen, everyone would be constantly making demands on me, sending me mail, bills, and whatnot." It then looks towards the mausoleum into which it was heading towards. "So I ventured below, and now life is splendid. I need not for money, suits are not required for a dinner, I don't have to meet people, although yes there are 'others' per se, and being around the others is fine at mealtimes, but most importantly... I may read whenever I want." He smiles as it makes that last declaration, showing a row of massively sharp knives for teeth, and you get a feeling that if he wanted to, he could most likely bite a chunk of your head off (again, amazing props).

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Distracted by the prospect of more information on this mysterious group, Malachi is a bit ignorant of the implied danger in Douglas' jaws.

    "I understand. One last question then, and I'll leave you to your books. This society or fellowship you've found below, would they permit the brief visit of a curious outsider? It would be exhilirating to meet such a group and learn more of their traditions and rituals."

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Douglas looks uncertain. "You may descend should you so choose. I must warn you; however, most who do depart, never return." He does however, gesture towards one of the mausoleums. "If you are truly intrigued by such a life however, there is nothing I can do except caution you that your life will forever be changed."
    ----

    So yes, you may descend; however, such an action may have... drastic consequences.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-09 at 04:54 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    "Maybe... I'll just take a quick peek and return to the house. I'm quite tired." Malachi tip-toes to the masoleum to peek inside. This was very unsettling, but these people seem much more friendly then Emberhead's cult... just a quick peek at what is going on down there and then I can return in the morning when I'm rested.
    Last edited by KoboldEmperor; 2019-11-11 at 12:16 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    He states once more, "I'm afraid it is not a 'quick peek,' Mister Stroud. It is quite far below, I am afraid. However, again, should you wish... you may descend."

    You look into the mausoleum; however, as you open the door you realize that the whole thing is actually below ground level. Huh, strange. You try again only for Douglas to squat and practically (not actually, more just leverage) lift the mausoleum from its submerged state (wow, he is quite strong for such an elderly man, clearly he must work out wherever he is). He's about to open the door, when he pauses and notes: "Mister Stroud, I would highly recommend you hold your breath. The stench can be overwhelming for some."

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    "Thank you for the assistance Douglas," Malachi takes a deep breath, steels himself for adventure, and ventures below. Holding his breath. A hidden secret society of people obsessed with strange body modifications. He could not afford to pass that up.

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    The door opens and instantly you're glad that you held your breath. The way in smells of miasma and decay. The mausoleum itself has clearly been in disuse for many years and right in its center is a dank, dark hole. Douglas looks towards you one last time. "Are you absolutely positive you wish to go down, Mister Stroud. I am afraid that should you, none of your friends nor family may every see you again." His somber tone makes you, for a brief moment, truly question whether or not this is the right decision, and while part of you discounts this due to the fact he's wearing an incredibly realistic costume, the other part of you is certain that what he's saying is true.
    ----

    So... one final time... do you descend?

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Never seemed pretty bad... but he did say may... Malachi stands there for a moment torn between self preservation and adventure. To have come this far and turn back now seemed foolish, but so did being lost forever on his first expedition when things had just begun.

    "Perhaps you are right. I will return here another day, when I'm done with adventures and ready to retire and be alone with my books." Malachi turns around and leaves the masoleum, taking note of the name and location of the crypt for future reference. "Farewell Douglas, maybe you'll still be here when I return."

    Malachi begins heading back towards the Kimball house, still keeping eye out for some of Douglas' intact tracks once he is out of the man's sight. He had planned to leave with proof this time, and would not let these revelations change that.

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    He nods and looks towards you, "You know, I've just been weary. I've been... alive for more than half a century, and the only time I felt like I was living when I was reading. The mundane world which my nephew so dutifully lives in, was not intended for me."



    He looks then towards the hole, "I cannot visit this place anymore. This..." it holds up the books that it... "stole" from itself. "Was my final foray into my, no Thomas' home. It is not mine anymore. The others have said that we must move, too much commotion, too much fuss, so I am unsure if this place shall be here should you return." Only to turn back towards you, "I am afraid I must now depart. There is much to see out there in the world below, and I think..." He chuckles as he stands over the hole. "I believe that I shall author a novel; finally I feel that I have done something in this life worth writing about."

    He looks down below it "It was a pleasure speaking with you, Mister Stroud. As much as you would like to though, I beg of you, do not tell him that I am still alive. It is better if he thinks me dead and gone. If he is concerned about the books, simply say that there was a burglar who returned, but you scared him off, I doubt he'd notice the absence of these additional tomes." He shakes the books as evidence. "It is for the best, I assure you."

    You look towards Douglas, or at least, what was Douglas, if it is not him anymore, as he departs. A few brief moments of silence pass until you hear a heavy THOOM, the sound of rock falling on rock, from within. Neither Douglas, nor what he called "The Others" shall be returning anytime soon.

    With an utterly confused mind, you mull over the events that just occurred as you walk towards the Kimball residence. A man, an absolutely normal man, might have become a... creature, that lives below the surface of the earth and looks like... that? A part of you still says that it's just a costume, but that makes little sense anymore. This alone should be impossible, but the facts are plain to see, and a conclusion must be made. There are other creatures on this earth... you are not alone.
    ----

    With the truth of the situation, albeit, the unpleasant truth, you lose 1 sanity point. However, this truth also gives you more insight to the world at large (as instead of reading an ancient grimoire about strange mythos creatures you’ve basically talked with one), granting you 3 points in the Cthulhu Mythos skill (this also decreases your feasible maximum sanity down to 96).
    ----

    The tracks themselves are present, and yet you wonder if you'll be able to convince anyone that they're anything more than goat prints... or even just a costume... You arrive at the home, weary from the tumultuous experience your mind has just undergone... will you ever be the same again?

    Arnoldsberg, 8:29 AM, October 3rd, 1921

    You awake to the words of Douglas, or whatever he was, playing in your head like a radio jingle. As you stumble into the dining room, you see Mary and Thomas look up with your arrival. Mary looks at your rather bedraggled condition and notes, "I see someone didn't sleep well last night." Meanwhile, Thomas looks at you.

    His eyes implore you, with every ounce of his being, hoping that you've uncovered something, something that will put his mind at rest, to give him hope that his life is not as crazy as he thinks. Of course, will the truth give him that solace? Your reverie is abruptly halted as Thomas asks, simply, and quite plainly: "Well, did you find anything?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-15 at 12:55 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Shaken and excited by the experience, Malachi bids Douglas farewell, not so sure it was a costume after all...

    With this revelation in mind he begins mixing the hot water, flour, and paste in his bowl, then carefully pours the plaster into the most intact tracks. Other people believing his tale mattered not, he needed something tangible for himself. Something to prove himself this was not a dream like Emberhead probably was... or was not.

    He covers his handiwork with the mixing bowl to prevent disturbance, and camoflauges it with a bit of dirt and leaves. He would return for it in the morning before he headed back, let it set overnight.

    He tries to sleep, but excitement and unrest lead to a night of tossing and turning. What if this was truly all dream, or some madness? Am I throwing my life away into explorations of daydreams and delusions?

    ------

    When morning comes and Malachi groggily awakes, he weighs his options, and decides to give Thomas the lie that will make him happy rather than the truth he won't understand.

    "I'm afraid I must apologize, my previous theory was incorrect. It was just a simple burglar who had heard of Douglas' disappearance and extensive book collection. I should have looked at the obvious rather than reached for the fantastical." Malachi pauses for a moment, looking into Thomas' eyes and trying to see if the lie was truly putting him at ease. "I suspect he thought he could steal some of the more valuable volumes without anyone noticing, seemed rather frightened to find someone waiting for him outside, and I doubt he will return. You may want to report this to the police just in case though, have them keep an eye out."

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    I apologize, I misunderstood your intentions.
    ----

    The plaster seems to settle decently enough in order to generate a memento of sorts, something to prove that he wasn't going crazy... right?

    (Cut back to present time)

    Thomas breathes a sigh of relief, albeit, it seems to be full of grief as well. However, clearly a lot of the stress and tension from his fear of the home intrusion has also departed. "Ah, so this has nothing to do with my uncle then... I thought... maybe." His wife holds his shoulders. "I'm sorry to have involved you in all of this. But, it seems like you've solved everything, even recovering some of my uncle's writings!" He then fishes something out of his pocket. "Here, you've earned it... Thank you." He hands you a mixed amount of bills equaling up to around $10.

    Mary then looks at you as well. "You've brought my husband and I some much-needed solace. Thank you so much. If there's anything else we can do for you, just let us know." However, right as she finishes, she suddenly realizes something, "My, the coach to Arkham I believe leaves at nine! Here, this should be enough to cover the return trip. Safe travels!" She hands you a dollar give or take, enough for the coach ride.

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    Feeling a bit guilty as they give him the money, Malachi tries to think of this as a reward for setting them at ease rather than unearthing the truth. "Thank you kindly, really it was no problem. Nice to get out and investigate, even if the answer did turn out quite mundane."

    Malachi thanks them again for the money and gathers his things. Slipping out to grab the footprint cast on his way to the coach. He wouldn't forget this strange little town, not for a long time.

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase IC

    You depart from the Kimball house, boarding the motorcoach soon after. It's a bit of a drive back to Arkham, but nevertheless that gives you time to collect some of your thoughts. You faced a harrowing encounter yesterday, chilling you to your core, and yet, Douglas spoke of leaving humanity forever, and you cannot help but feel some solace in this simple truth. This is someone one, at any rate, who is not planning on returning. Thus, Thomas Kimball can sleep soundly again, without fear of further burglaries.
    ----

    This calm means that you may roll 1d6 and add it to your current sanity.
    ----

    Time passes. The motorcoach drives over hills and bridges as you look out and see the wonderful landscape of New Hampshire. However, amongst the natural beauty of the world, you cannot help but wonder... what else is out there?

    ----

    Congratulations! You have survived this adventure as well. You may keep your investigator sheet and use it in the next Call of Cthulhu scenario. If I have noted that you have succeeded in any skills, you will have a chance to improve them through experience (I believe you succeeded in a Library Use, Listen, Persuade, and Spot Hidden roll).
    The End.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-11-17 at 01:55 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •