Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase OOC

Greetings KoboldEmperor, and welcome back to the world of Call of Cthulhu, a world of horror, mystery, and wonder. Here you shall take on the role of an intrepid Investigator of the Unknown (or Investigator for short), while I shall be the Keeper of Arcane Lore (or the Keeper).

Now that you've understood the basic rules and themeatic aspects of the game, having played the introductory adventure. Prepare to journey onto your first freeform scenario -- Paper Chase! This is a mystery set in 1921 where you are the main character. For the purposes of guiding you, I may very rarely make small notes at the bottom of my posts, but these will be far more rare than before, so I hope you're prepared to think for yourself!

Anyway, without further ado, tuck yourself in, grab a bowl of popcorn, and join the In-Character!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: KoboldEmperor's Paper Chase OOC

Also, just to help me out a little bit, instead of italicizing could you maybe choose a certain color for your speech? Maybe then italicizing thoughts?
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-09-28 at 05:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Wouldn't mind that at all, I'll pick a colour. Will try to post soon, been a busy few days.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KoboldEmperor View Post
    Wouldn't mind that at all, I'll pick a colour. Will try to post soon, been a busy few days.
    Oh, don’t worry, you’re fine! My rule is generally once every three days and then I’ll send a PM, but you’re not close to that so youre fine

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now, I have a quick question for you to answer: What emotion best describes Malachi? Find one primary emotion he expresses. Try to use a colorful, specific word to describe it. For instance, instead of “angry” you might say “vengeful” or “raging,” or instead of happy you might say “cheerful” or “exalting."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I'd say cheerful/optimistic but also a bit shy. Like a socially awkward and bookish variant of bubbly

Edit: cheerful and eccentric are the best two I think. Hard to narrow down between the two.
    Last edited by KoboldEmperor; 2019-10-10 at 11:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That makes sense. What about instead of himself, what emotion does Malachi evoke in others? How do others react to him? Does he impress, scare, calm, excite, or perhaps annoy? Again try to find the most specific term you can. Is this reaction different between his friends and enemies? If so, what is the difference, and why is that difference there?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I'd say people either find him off-putting or reassuring, depending on the situation as well as if they are enemies or friends. His eccentricities and focus on details can make social situations awkward and annoy people who don't share his interests, but in a crisis situation many people find his detail-focus and bluntness calming.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Intriguing, I see, now what about what Malachi needs the most? If he had everything he needed, why go on an adventure? Most people’s needs are fairly universal, although they can change over time. Common needs are survival, security, companionship, esteem, romance, family, or wisdom. Consider what Malachi's starting needs are, and where you want them to be by the end of the semi-campaign. This is not a goal (so it shouldn't be like "He wants to help people"), but something he needs (maybe instead, "He needs to help people so that way he feels validated as a human being" or "He needs to help because he's addicted to the rush he gets from people thanking him" these are two wildly different needs, but they emerge from the same initial goal). For example, someone might start off with a basic need for physical security, but then that expands into companionship and security in one's relationships, etc...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

This is a tough question, given it a lot of thought. I'm going to say he needs to seek out mysteries because it gives him a chance to explore the unknown in a way he cannot with his current career status. He loves history and aspires to lead his own archeological expedition to make new discoveries one day, but for now local mysteries keep his skills sharp and scratch his itch to uncover secrets that have been forgotten or overlooked by others. Solving the mystery for himself and obtaining proof and evidence are more important to him than money or helping people.
    Last edited by KoboldEmperor; 2019-11-06 at 06:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Congratulations! You've done it! You've managed to beat Paper Chase. Your character has understood that there is more to this world than just us humans, and they might not ever be the same. Nevertheless, they will improve!

If you had fun we can continue into the next adventure: The Haunting. You may also read all of the other forums relating to Paper Chase here at the Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained.

Note that The Haunting is actually the first game where there shall be two of you, so I'm going to be pairing you up with whomever I deem fit. It will, in all likelihood be MightyLemur, but that may change. It's all dependent on your ability to post, as Lemur, for the most part, has been able to post every day and I want to make sure that you can manage that. If not, I can have someone else play with them instead and you play with someone who is a closer match to your posting rate.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Sounds great! I'm going to be travelling with intermittent internet for the next week and unable to do daily posting (possibly no posting at all for that matter), so not sure if that will work well in the short term, but after that I can get back to a daily posting rate.

Last Sanity roll
    (1d6)[6]

Skill Increase Attempts:
    Library Use (50):
    (1d100)[32]
    Increase if fail: (1d6)[1]

Spot Hidden (66):
    (1d100)[58]
    Increase if fail: (1d6)[2]

Persuade (40):
    (1d100)[25]
    Increase if fail: (1d6)[5]

Listen (20):
    (1d100)[39]
    Increase if fail: (1d6)[6]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Nice Sanity reward. You in fact leave this experience more sane than before. Perhaps you feel validated or something similar? Also it's important to note that the improvement for your Listen is actually a d10, not a d6. Finally, just let me know when you return and I'll start up the next adventure!