New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Professionals Annoyed By Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure if cloning is that relevant to the military. Semi-realistically speaking at least. Maybe if you combine it with the sped up growing that cloning movies always have and apply it to humans it could be useful, but any government jumping at that offer has some moral issues. Dinosaurs? The natural world already has bears. Those are roughly as dangerous, and a lot cheaper to breed than dinosaurs are to clone. Even with genetic engineering to make them hyper advanced killing machines, they're still competing with presumably hyper advanced rifles and tanks, assuming it's not just bio-engineering that lept at least about half a century ahead. And even if it is just bio-engineering, they still have to compete with modern day rifles and tanks, not to mention genetically modified bears and elephants, which are probably still cheaper then dinosaurs.
    It is difficult to imagine a circumstance for which you could use a pack of dinosaurs to kill someone, and not, say, an air strike.

And if "it's covert" is mentioned, there is literally everything suspicious about seeing a room full of people ripped apart by raptors. I can't think of anyone that would shrug that off as normal instead of freaking out. The whole "evil government" aspect of the more recent Jurassic Park films does seem strange.

I can buy lax safety standards comparatively easily. People get lazy and screw stuff up all the time. They made an attempt at security, and thought they did have good security, but they bungled it. That's very, very human.

Also, with regards to big birds, had an uncle that raised Emus for a while there. Emus, Ostriches, etc...all have the potential to be very, very mean. I wouldn't much care to annoy one.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Also giant killer birds died out whenever they ran into cats, because cats specialize in killing long necked animals and birds/dinosaurs are perfectly built to be killed by them.
    If we're being fair to Terror Birds, they had a good run even after they ran into the big cats. I believe the generally agreed upon reason was climactic shifts hitting them harder than cats. Also, a few of them are still living and doing their thing, they're just a bit smaller so they can fly as an escape option.

As for something on topic: Armor that is completely worthless. Seriously, Mail stops swords, it's not just pretty costuming!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    If we're being fair to Terror Birds, they had a good run even after they ran into the big cats. I believe the generally agreed upon reason was climactic shifts hitting them harder than cats.
    Well, that's anticlimactic.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    It is difficult to imagine a circumstance for which you could use a pack of dinosaurs to kill someone, and not, say, an air strike.
    Yet, Mr Evil Crew-cut goes on to exactly specify the situation he has considered where wants a pack of super raptors and it does make perfect sense if you assume his absolute belief in that the way he sees things will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    The whole "evil government" aspect of the more recent Jurassic Park films does seem strange.
    Have you watched anything out of Hollywood the last... mmmm... 40 years?

Or the news.

And that's probably more than I can say.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's generally not safe to mention Star Wars or Jurassic Park around me.

The fences were oversized, not undersized. Also, the security was not flaky (at least, not the security that most people criticize, largely incorrectly). Not to beat a dead horse, but the book portrayed the security way better.
    ---
    Yeah, other than the breeding dimosaurs (which is a MAJOR security issue), the rest of the security is actually pretty good. They lose it because of backdoors installed by the person who designed the system (or at least the software part). Generally speaking, it's hard to design a system that the designer can't beat, ESPECIALLY if they are planning on doing so before it is complete.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    ---
    Yeah, other than the breeding dimosaurs (which is a MAJOR security issue), the rest of the security is actually pretty good. They lose it because of backdoors installed by the person who designed the system (or at least the software part).
    No. Nedry was not the instigator. The dinos were roaming free and breeding before Hammond went to Montana and met Grant. They never had control over the island, that's the whole theme. Their control was an illusion.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    There's three things they could have done:

1. Something they made up that would probably be nonsense
    2. Do some research and use an existing flaw, essentially turning the program into "How to Commit Crimes 101"
    3. Do some research and use an already solved problem

I can't say I'm totally surprised they went with that last one.
    Option 2a: Mix up existing methodologies so that they don't accidentally teach the viewers something illegal in the name of authenticity.

Best example is Breaking Bad where they deliberate conflate the various chemical synthesis routes because understandably, they don't want to actually teach people how to cook methamphetamine or ricin using only household chemicals.

Another example of Option 2 was the proposed episode of Mythbusters where they wanted to examine RFID chip security. Supposedly they were blocked by the Discovery Channel after getting calls from the lawyers of credit card companies, but the actual reason seems to be more bizarre and not actually disclosed.

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Option 2a: Mix up existing methodologies so that they don't accidentally teach the viewers something illegal in the name of authenticity.

Best example is Breaking Bad where they deliberate conflate the various chemical synthesis routes because understandably, they don't want to actually teach people how to cook methamphetamine or ricin using only household chemicals.

Another example of Option 2 was the proposed episode of Mythbusters where they wanted to examine RFID chip security. Supposedly they were blocked by the Discovery Channel after getting calls from the lawyers of credit card companies, but the actual reason seems to be more bizarre and not actually disclosed.
    Even then, there's a difference between knowing and doing. You could have the full ingredient list for Coca-Cola, for example, but not be able to replicate the recipe. For example, Mythbusters took on Archimedes' death ray mirror. They determined that it was a myth, whereas I determined that Jamie and Adam were no Archimedes .

For reals, though, deliberately showing wrong ways to do certain things is absolutely a solid route.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

For example, Mythbusters took on Archimedes' death ray mirror. They determined that it was a myth, whereas I determined that Jamie and Adam were no Archimedes .
    Really? I thought MIT found it to be feasibly possible (link), just that they didn't have the manpower of an entire city state, Mediterranean climate/sun and time limitations for project completion.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Option 2a is why Fight Club was about stealing human fat to make explosives and selling the rest product as soap. Someone has the bright idea to not use an actual recipe for explosives in a movie that speaks to disgruntled and disillusioned individuals.

The reason it's noteworthy is that they could have not used a real recipe and then draw as little attention to that as possible. Just leave it at "we made explosives". Instead they leaned into it, going as far as making movie posters about soap, despite the soap angle being completely made up.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

11. - Top - End - #221

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Really? I thought MIT found it to be feasibly possible (link), just that they didn't have the manpower of an entire city state, Mediterranean climate/sun and time limitations for project completion.
    To be fair, I don't remember the episode and was only reminded they tried it when i saw this the other day:
    Spoiler: Death ray
    Show

I doubt it's even from the same episode, but was similar enough that it triggered a memory. Plus, I wanted to be clever.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-01-02 at 01:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Colossus in the Playground

They did it twice, once when obama asked them to revist it. I think they actually DID manage to create a dangerous level of heat once, but it was so impractical that a single fire arrow was like 100x more efficient at wiping out a navy. But speaking of not showing you how to break the law, was anyone surprised that none of their "beat the breathalyzer" techniques worked? Same for the lie detector, not that its reliable anyways. Most of their security system beating methods were either absurd or most likely out of date at best.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    They did it twice, once when Obama asked them to revisit it. I think they actually DID manage to create a dangerous level of heat once, but it was so impractical that a single fire arrow was like 100x more efficient at wiping out a navy. But speaking of not showing you how to break the law, was anyone surprised that none of their "beat the breathalyzer" techniques worked? Same for the lie detector, not that it's reliable anyways. Most of their security system beating methods were either absurd or most likely out of date at best.
    I watch a lot of Steve Wilkos show and most guests failed the lie detector test usually end up in prison for real. Unless that show is fake. but I do know that a DNA test is real. You're the father.

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I watch a lot of Steve Wilkos show and most guests failed the lie detector test usually end up in prison for real. Unless that show is fake. but I do know that a DNA test is real. You're the father.
    "Lie detector" is a bad word for that machine. "Polygraph" is much better, since it measures blood pressure, pulse, and skin conductivity. All of which are about as accurate at determining lies as just looking at the person and watching if they exhibit any other common signs of lying. Which is to say, very inaccurate.

There's a reason those things are not admissible evidence in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    They did it twice, once when obama asked them to revist it. I think they actually DID manage to create a dangerous level of heat once, but it was so impractical that a single fire arrow was like 100x more efficient at wiping out a navy.
    Again, they are no Archimedes!

Yeah, I know it's just really colorful history, but I maintain that's a good line.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-01-02 at 01:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Lie detector" is a bad word for that machine. "Polygraph" is much better since it measures blood pressure, pulse, and skin conductivity. All of which are about as accurate at determining lies as just looking at the person and watching if they exhibit any other common signs of lying. Which is to say, very inaccurate.

There's a reason those things are not admissible evidence in court.

Yeah, I know it's just really colourful history, but I maintain that's a good line.
    What is the DNA test? They're accurate, right?

16. - Top - End - #226

What is the DNA test? They're accurate, right?
    Can't say without knowing exactly what they're doing? Is it an actual DNA test, which takes time to perform and is very accurate? Is it a blood test that's just matching up blood types, and is very accurate but doesn't actually give any information for the purpose they're using it for? Anything else I may not be thinking of? Just because they claim they're doing DNA testing doesn't mean they actually are.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Can't say without knowing exactly what they're doing? Is it an actual DNA test, which takes time to perform and is very accurate? Is it a blood test that's just matching up blood types, and is very accurate but doesn't actually give any information for the purpose they're using it for? Anything else I may not be thinking of? Just because they claim they're doing DNA testing doesn't mean they actually are.
    It's a paternity test to see if you're the biological father of his child. I mention you're the father before on the previous post.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Early (30 or so years ago) DNA tests would come back with like a 95% DNA match, which is really convincing until you realize that a 95% DNA match still includes like 50% of the population (specific numbers pulled from my very faulty memory, so take them with a grain of salt), Tests today are more accurate, and usually come with a percent chance of a match, rather than a percent of the DNA that matches.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

19. - Top - End - #229

It's a paternity test to see if you're the biological father of his child. I mention you're the father before on the previous post.
    Yes, I know. I should have said it better, it's impossible to know without knowing exactly how they are testing. The rest of my comment should now make more sense.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Early (30 or so years ago) DNA tests would come back with like a 95% DNA match, which is really convincing until you realize that a 95% DNA match still includes like 50% of the population (specific numbers pulled from my very faulty memory, so take them with a grain of salt), Tests today are more accurate, and usually come with a percent chance of a match, rather than a percent of the DNA that matches.
    To a degree. Modern DNA testing relies very heavily on the polymerase chain reaction, which has its flaws that TV shows gloss over as they're very technical and has a large degree of probability of mathematical elimination; about as far as they go is the certainty of a match and neglect the several important assumptions like amplification of the right strand of DNA and the DNA being a pure sample without cross contamination.

Forensics and paternity testing is easier as you generally have a smaller pool of viable suspects/fathers, so if the test indicates the suspect/father has genetic marker A and only one potential suspect/father has that same marker, it lets you focus your resources on other evidence to support the result.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Which they also bring up, and note that the real Archimedes woulda known this was stupidly impractical and could have and likely did think of a dozen other much better working weapons of war.

Also had it actually worked the Romans woulda stolen the idea. The one thing they were absolutely unquestionaby masters of.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    And a 93% DNA match would include all chimps too...
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2020-01-03 at 03:37 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

Anything that has computer hardware/software as being durable over the long term.

That stuff breaks way too often for me to believe that it will last long, and I have no confidence that modern software will last without the infrastructure that supports it.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Also had it actually worked the Romans woulda stolen the idea. The one thing they were absolutely unquestionaby masters of.
    The Romans stole ideas that were practical, however. They never did a pike phalanx, for example, in spite of it being super effective (as long as cohesion held, probably too much of a weakness in their eyes).

I think that the mirrors could have been a good idea in a besieged city, but completely useless for the Romans. Women taking part to the defence is generally a sign of desperation in ancient times. Women using their bronze not to arm more men, but to create some odd contraption would mean a city where all able men already mobilised and appropriately armed, which could have been possible for a rich city state like Syracuse.

It's probably worth adding that ancient ships were covered with a protective painting, which consisted mainly of wax, which burns at 120°C, and whose flash point is at 204°C.

This doesn't mean that the trick worked. But the narrative makes sense, and maybe an attempt was really made.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sawbladex View Post
    Anything that has computer hardware/software as being durable over the long term.

That stuff breaks way too often for me to believe that it will last long, and I have no confidence that modern software will last without the infrastructure that supports it.
    Unless it's specifically designed for that, of course.

For a significant premium price you can buy radiation hardened processors, memory, etc. that are designed for use in outer space. They tend to use larger transistors and slightly updated 1990s era designs so that they are less sensitive to radiation flipping bits, etc. Also, they sometimes use more radiation resistant semiconductors.

Also, 1980s and early 1990s hardware is quite durable for the same reason, with the exception of storage technology. If you want a simple, half-####d solution for a low-spec computer that will last a long time, get an early 90s PC, and replace the hard drive with a Compact Flash card and adapter. Oh, might want to install a modern power supply that's a bit over-specced for the system, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

25. - Top - End - #235
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sawbladex View Post

*blows in cartridge, jiggly insertion, presses power, plays original copy of Ducktails, gets hand cramps...*

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    *blows in cartridge*
    Ah, performing the most holy of rituals, I see.

Seriously, how did we all know to do that? Without internet? It must have been an official Nintendo byline or something.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Technically, though, isn't it supposed to make things worse? The moist air in your breath corrodes the contacts over time.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Technically, though, isn't it supposed to make things worse? The moist air in your breath corrodes the contacts over time.
    Aren't they gold plated? You might be right in spirit, since there may be other things in there subject to corrosion, but the contacts in the cartridge aren't an example of that, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

29. - Top - End - #239

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I've heard the moisture is actually what makes it work, since it closes tiny gaps in the contacts, as water is conductive. Sounds far-fetched to me, but still.

30. - Top - End - #240

The anachronism is for show; I perform additional (proper) maintenance tasks on both the deck and the cartridges before and after use.

To tie other playthings into the topic, I was greatly amused when Unbreakable came out and the toy nerds I knew online were annoyed that the kid was playing with Green Vapor inappropriately.