New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Unique Familiar concept

So I assume homebrew is the best place to put this. I had an idea i think would be fun, but I'm not sure how to balance it as the applications could be considered overpowered.

So essentially I wish to play a changeling wizard prestiging on master of masks, and to compete his master of disguise persona I wish to give him a very unique familiar.

I want him to have a mimic as his familiar. Not a fully fledged giant monster mind you, this is where the homebrew comes in. I want a tiny variant, a mimic that transforms into household objects and the like. Basically any small object that can be manifested with prestidigitation.

I want to have a distinctly discworld feeling for them. Rincewind and the Luggage running about getting into scrapes.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best implement this idea? Would a monster, even a greatly nerfed monster, still be considered over powered filling the familiar slot? I can just see so many fun antics unfolding.
    Last edited by KingBearKing; 2019-10-01 at 12:58 AM.
    "Last year I was bitten by a misanthrope and contracted misanthropy. Now once every full moon I have to run off into the forest just to get away from all you *******s"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Unique Familiar concept

Quote Originally Posted by KingBearKing View Post
    So I assume homebrew is the best place to put this. I had an idea i think would be fun, but I'm not sure how to balance it as the applications could be considered overpowered.

So essentially I wish to play a changeling wizard prestiging on master of masks, and to compete his master of disguise persona I wish to give him a very unique familiar.

I want him to have a mimic as his familiar. Not a fully fledged giant monster mind you, this is where the homebrew comes in. I want a tiny variant, a mimic that transforms into household objects and the like. Basically any small object that can be manifested with prestidigitation.

I want to have a distinctly discworld feeling for them. Rincewind and the Luggage running about getting into scrapes.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best implement this idea? Would a monster, even a greatly nerfed monster, still be considered over powered filling the familiar slot? I can just see so many fun antics unfolding.
    Like "mimic: 4 hp and can take any inanimate shape that have a volume of 3 cubic foot, soft and can not actually grab or manipulate stuff(at best can weight down something otherwise static)"
    Although it seems op at cuteness.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-10-01 at 01:53 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tiny Mimic

Tiny monstrosity, NN
    Armor Class 12
    Hit Points 4 (1d4)
    Speed 30 ft.
    13 STR
    12 DEX
    12 CON
    8 INT
    12 WIS
    8 CHA

Senses passive Perception 11
    Skills Stealth +5
    Damage Immunities acid
    Condition Immunities prone
    Challenge 0 (10 XP)

Shapechanger. The mimic can use its action to polymorph into an object or back into its true, amorphous form. Its statistics are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies

False Appearance (Object Form Only). While the mimic remains motionless, it is indistinguishable from an ordinary object.

Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d1) bludgeoning damage.

Might make a more interesting warlock familiar IMO. Do you think these mimics could turn into objects? like keys and crowbars?
    Last edited by sleepyhead; 2019-10-01 at 09:22 AM.
    My limited homebrew experience
    oh hey didn't see you there

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thisdude9001 View Post
    Good Monster
    But wrong edition. Pretty sure the OP wants 3.5, since they're talking 3.5 classes and prestige classes.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    But wrong edition. Pretty sure the OP wants 3.5, since they're talking 3.5 classes and prestige classes.
    Oh whoops, thanks anyways. Just gotta learn 3.5 and convert it to that. Easy right?
    Last edited by sleepyhead; 2019-10-01 at 12:40 PM.
    My limited homebrew experience
    oh hey didn't see you there

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Pretty sure the OP wants 3.5, since they're talking 3.5 classes and prestige classes.
    Yeah sorry I forgot to specify. I'm mostly familiar with 3.5 so that's what o generally go with.

These are fun though, and it definitely seems doable. Id assume the best familiar feat for him that makes the most thematic sense would be a boost to disguise checks. I don't remember what familiar does that normally.
    "Last year I was bitten by a misanthrope and contracted misanthropy. Now once every full moon I have to run off into the forest just to get away from all you *******s"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

For 3.5, the closest starting point is the Morphic Familiar ACF from Races of Eberron. But that lets your familiar take the form of other creatures you could have chosen as a familiar. It doesn't let your familiar take the form of objects.