New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Default Bards and Lawfulness???

Could someone with a good understanding of the game-makers ideas of law and chaos explain why on earth Bards can't be lawful? I'm trying to build myself into true heterodoxy before I smash said heterodoxy to bits for campaign funness but this I just don't understand.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, human shields offering free cover.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Bards and Lawfulness???

Bards...free spirit...dirty...feet?

Yeah, I never liked it much myself.
    *Evil grin* "Snip snip."
    Kayru, City of Ancients (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The wizard sleeps the fighter, and/or greases him for sneak attack, and/or uses color spray. And/or makes him too weak to use his armour. And does the laundry.

Avatar by Starwoof! Thank you kind sir!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I think the idea is that bards are wandering minstrels, guided only by luck and whim, and therefore don't necessarily have a set tradition (either internal or external) by which they live their lives. In a way, someone who lives like this is probably going to be non-lawful.

Of course, I can just as easily imagine a Dwarf Bard who lives as the very embodiment of dwarven tradition, and who inspires courage by chanting or reciting the tales of long-dead heroes of the clan.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Because the Law-chaos axis is stupid and whoever decided to keep it in 3E should be shot.. preferably in a non-vital area so that he suffers...

But it's because Bards are supposed to be sneaky, conniving charmers who live off of their music, wandering from place to place, making tons of friends but never having any real interpersonal relationships that last too long because they must roam again.. But mostly because Law-Chaos is stupid.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I fail to see how good-evil is much better, frankly.

To the original question, it's pretty much as rtg0922 puts it. Bards have to be somewhat free spirited and independent and unorthodox to keep their artistic magic. I'd just toss the restriction if I were you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

So bards are enchanting, conniving conmen who wander from town to town playing music, enchanting women, and being generally dashing in order to make off with some money from magical effects? I can work with that, thats workable. Of course, a Good Bard would have to limit this slightly, but this idea, I understand this idea.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, human shields offering free cover.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    Because the Law-chaos axis is stupid and whoever decided to keep it in 3E should be shot.. preferably in a non-vital area so that he suffers...
    Actually, if you read some of the foundational fiction (Elric, Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions), Law and Chaos are pretty sensible. Both have their downsides and upsides (Law has a tendency to be overbearing and stultifying, even as it improves the lives of everyone equally; chaos tends to cause destruction and upheaval, even as it provides plenty of freedom and creativity), allowing you to have good and bad guys on both sides of the spectrum. Good and Evil, IMO, tends to be the more difficult one.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrNexx View Post
    Actually, if you read some of the foundational fiction (Elric, Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions), Law and Chaos are pretty sensible. Both have their downsides and upsides (Law has a tendency to be overbearing and stultifying, even as it improves the lives of everyone equally; chaos tends to cause destruction and upheaval, even as it provides plenty of freedom and creativity), allowing you to have good and bad guys on both sides of the spectrum. Good and Evil, IMO, tends to be the more difficult one.
    I meant in D&D, not philosophically..

9. - Top - End - #9

BarbarianGuy

It doesn't make sense. I can't imagine all pianists being chaotic, and it doesn't make sense that the bards who inspire the army must be chaotic when armies tend to have a lawful streak.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    I meant in D&D, not philosophically..
    In D&D, there's only Lawful, Chaotic, and Neutral.

In AD&D, there's the biaxial system. The simple fact that it's called 3rd edition, and not 4th or 5th edition puts it more that category.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Prepare your long knives for all I care but its this simple; The rules are guide lines. If you don't agree with something, discuss it amongst your group. If no one agree's ignore it.

I removed concrete alignments from my campaign setting. There are no effects based on alignment and the closest thing you have to an alignment is the way other people percieve your actions.
    Initiate Cleric of Skaroq

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    The most powerful monster in DnD? The DM of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Meh, since WotC can't seem to define law/chaos, I don't take law/chaos alignment prereqs very seriously. I allow lawful bards and barbarians, and chaotic monks. Last I checked, being a strict traditionalist doesn't make you unable to weave magic/sing songs or get really angry, and being free and open minded doesn't make you unable to seek personal perfection and fight unarmed.
    Last edited by TheOOB; 2007-10-15 at 10:38 PM.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Every time a Bard casts a spell, an angel loses his wings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Every time a Bard casts a spell, an angel loses his wings.

And an eladrin earns its pointy ears.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

House rule that they can be. I've never in fact encountered a DM that has a problem with lawful bards, if given a half-decent backstory.

There are many, many different definitions on what law/chaos/good/evil mean (that's why people on these boards can never agree on any one of them), and by several of those definitions, restricting bard alignment doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

This has confused me as well...especially as rogues can be any alignment, yet a bard cannot be lawful!
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Rogues aren't always even thieves, though. It's pretty easy to imagine a lawful detective or police officer taking rogue.

I'm all in favor of lawful bards, myself, but I think it's partly a flavor thing: the designers intended for bards to be wandering minstrels, the lot of them, which doesn't fit too well with a lawful idea. I can easily see bards of a more lawful bent, though--it'd break the stereotype and be pretty fun to do. (A lawful evil bard would be exceedingly fun.)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrNexx View Post
    The real problem is that Lawful and Chaotic are insufficiently well-defined as actual alignments for characters. They work fine as philosophical principles, but most people don't live their lives by philosophical principles.

Most players can agree on the general concepts of Good and Evil (though there are endless squabbles over where the exact boundaries lie), but everyone has a different definition of what it means to be Lawful or Chaotic. And "everyone" includes the game designers.

Of course, I generally detest the whole idea of alignment restrictions for a class. IMO, if a base class needs alignment restrictions, it's too narrowly defined to be a base class *cough*paladin*cough*. Even a prestige class shouldn't have them without a really good reason.
    Last edited by Dausuul; 2007-10-16 at 07:32 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armads View Post
    I can't imagine all pianists being chaotic,
    There are many lawful pianists... but none of those are musicians.

/ducks

20. - Top - End - #20

Quoted for truth, definitely :)
    The only way I know of to produce a Lawful Bard is to take Devoted Performer from Complete Adventurer, and even that's stretching it. I can imagine something like nonlawful for a warlock, but a bard I can easily agree that it makes no sense.
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

My best answer here is that bard is a lifestyle rather than just a class. A bard is a wanderer who is going to go where the wind takes him and doesn't know whose bed he'll be sleeping in come nightfall. That kind of character isn't suited to a lawful alignment.

At least that's WotC's thinking. I can see the logic in it, but you should be able to create a character with bard mechanics without having to be lawful. This is why I'd like to see 4th ed use much simpler base classes and have players pick up Bard, Paladin, or Monk as prestige classes later on.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Given that my bards tend towards the Neo-Celtic image of bards as oral historians and lawgivers, the idea of a bard that can't be lawful makes no real sense. But then, I also have bards as investigate reporters and the like, so I really have difficulty with the idea of bards being limited to any particular alignment.
    Fhaolan by me! Raga avatar by Mephibosheth!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaolan View Post
    GBut then, I also have bards as investigate reporters and the like
    We do the same thing! In our dustlands campaign setting we're working on, bards are recomended as being allowed to any alignment, with lawful bards usually serving as reporters for kingdoms (of course, a freelance reporter could be of any alignment anyway).

24. - Top - End - #24

I was all prepped to play a lawful evil bard once. Never got the chance to play him, but he was a very methodical and intelligent jack of all trades Nobleman. I thought the focus on charisma fit him better as a bard than a rogue.

In my games, as mentioned above, I treat alignment restrictions as "usually"s rather than "always"es (haha, torturous language ftw), and will accept any character concept that isn't horribly at odds with common sense.
    *Evil grin* "Snip snip."
    Kayru, City of Ancients (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The wizard sleeps the fighter, and/or greases him for sneak attack, and/or uses color spray. And/or makes him too weak to use his armour. And does the laundry.

Avatar by Starwoof! Thank you kind sir!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    There are many lawful pianists... but none of those are musicians.

/ducks
    ::throws his Big Book of Bach, just missing::

26. - Top - End - #26

Like most alignment restrictions, there is no real rationale for bards being non-lawful. It's just game tradition--I myself ignore the restriction just like barbarians being non-lawful, monks being lawful, paladins being LG and druids being neutral.
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; 2007-10-16 at 03:07 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Rogues should be non lawful but bards shouldn't be.

Still my friend once wanted to play a Lawful barbarian. That is over stepping the line in my opinion.
    Own it, pwn it, nuke it, sheep it, eat it, quick re -right it, Joe it, turn it, turnip, pimp it, gimp it, dot it, rock it, spec re - spec it...

I'm bringing smexy back

As a Warblade, I'm pimp as hell.

Big up kpenguin for the chronic Avatar.

Powergaming - because you can't roleplay when your dead.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him dominate the World

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumJester View Post
    Rogues should be non lawful but bards shouldn't be.
    There's no reason you couldn't be a lawful rogue. Picture this.

I'm currently hired as a low level servant on a kings staff. I use the combination of anonimty versus authorized presence to eavesdrop on the kings military and econimcal plans, and us that information to help ruin his plans before they get off the ground, shattering every course of action he undertakes. Very chaotic, right?

Now what if I'm only doing it because I'm a trusted spy to a rival kingdom, and was specifically ordered by MY lawful lord to destabilize our enemy from the inside before they could have a chance to overpower us? Suddenly I'm lawful, in at least one interpretation. James Bond plays by his own rules and kills a few dozen people every movie, but he'd probably fairly be called lawful, because he's doing it for his country.

The real problem is that alignment in D&D is poorly implemented and not the best benchmark in the first place.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dr.cello View Post
    Rogues aren't always even thieves, though. It's pretty easy to imagine a lawful detective or police officer taking rogue.

I'm all in favor of lawful bards, myself, but I think it's partly a flavor thing: the designers intended for bards to be wandering minstrels, the lot of them, which doesn't fit too well with a lawful idea. I can easily see bards of a more lawful bent, though--it'd break the stereotype and be pretty fun to do. (A lawful evil bard would be exceedingly fun.)
    I'm glad they were able to make the step to 'not all rogues are thieves' and hope they can expand this for more classes. As everyone has said here, alignments tend to stereotype and pigeonhole characters. It's perfectly fine to play a charming conman who wander from town to town, I personally have had great fun with characters like this, but the base rules should not dictate that is the only way to play a bard. A section describing a typical bard should suffice. Allowing people freedom of alignment allows for more thought out characters in my opinion. The same would be true without alignments at all, but they do serve as a hand rough guide to start from.
    Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    Thanks to Kalirush for making such an awesome avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tweekinator View Post
    "You're different! Yet remarkably right about so many things."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    25) Plane Shift to the British Empire. The sun never sets there.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    James Bond plays by his own rules and kills a few dozen people every movie, but he'd probably fairly be called lawful, because he's doing it for his country.
    Up to this point your explanation was correct. Make it John Steed, and you're cool.
    James Bond, however, is chaotic good. Too many of his "own rules", too much seat-of-the-pants flying, too much interest in personal glory, too many broken hearts, and too much sheer awesomeness to be lawful or even neutral.