New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Redwall: the Third Intermediate Period IC [5e]

The sun rises over Redwall Abbey, as it has always done before, raising the goodbeasts from their beds as light shines through the pane glass, illuminating Martin the Warrior's tapestry. A dormouse ascends the stairs, ringing the cracked metallic bell to signal the arrival of morning, for the late risers. Bong! Bong! Bong!

The door at the end of the hall opened with a creak, followed by hurried footsteps approaching your rooms. A rushed set of discordant knocks at Brix's door was followed by "Abbot Marilo wants your presence in the front courtyard," another few steps and another few knocks at the next door, the Badger, Urick's room, followed by the same message, adding "Extra food in the lunch hall," . This repeated with Ramiro and Quincy's rooms, adding "Please hurry" at Ramiro's, and a pause came after Quincy's room, as if trying to remember if the resident in this room was a slow riser, and an almost audible nod came when they remembered the resident was a long patrol hare.

Finally, they came to Nala's room, knocking hurriedly. "Nala! Nala!" you recognize the voice to be from Poppy, a fellow orphaned Squirrel at the Abbey. "Are you in there, or did you go off hiding?"

OOC: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...2#post24181262
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-10-02 at 09:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Redwall: the Third Intermediate Period IC [5e]

Ramiro shined his sword. "I live to serve Redwall.' his voice echoed under his helmet.
    Ramiro was sure, his son is doing well. He gotten up, quite tall and wide for a mouse,wearing green robes over his tunic and armor, which he never were seen without.
    He wore the round shield with M on his back, and sheathed back his sword.

"I shall be there, soon.' he promised, and walked with wavering robes.
    Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Urick pushed himself up from the floor one last time, before quickly rising from the ground. He wiped the sweat off his brow, he was behind on his morning routine. He stretched his arms back with an audible crack, a little stiff, but hardy. A powerful specimen, though not quite the size what one would expect from stories people usually hear about Badgers. Perhaps an extra serving would do him well.

His garb were dark brown robes over a light tunic. It was difficult to find a tailor that could fit him quite right, and he valued even his most rudimentary wear. He fashioned on his back scabbard, a simple yet functional design, that held his weapon at the the base of its blade rather than its entire length.

This allowed him to carry and draw his sword, a weapon as tall and hefty as his typical clansmen.

A new day has begun, and he made his way to the front courtyard with a confident look on his face.

"Hahaha, I hope the Abbot doesn't mind me eating my fill before I lend my ear."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Brix

Brix rolls over in her bed mumbling "Just a few more mmmm" before the message registers in her head.

She jumps out of bed and throws on some cloths before heading down to the courtyard.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm up, I'm up... Nala says, heading out of her room. I'm here, Poppy. What's the big rush?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-10-02 at 11:15 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh! So you're here. Um," Poppy stuttered, turning away slightly and stepping back to let Nala by. "Something the watch picked up last night. The Abbot says, he wants the capable folks out there right away doing their duty. But, er..." She stuttered again, as she was prone to do. She gulped, then puffed up her chest to try to feel stubbornly prideful. "Abbot Marilo says he wants you to do kitchen duty today. You know how he feels about your habits, and he surely doesn't want to encourage those, so, umm..."
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-10-02 at 11:21 PM.
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

7. - Top - End - #7

Poppy. Oh, Poppy. Young, innocent Poppy... Nala says. The Abbot is not a dumb man, am I right? So, he would obviously know the best way to get me to do something is to expressly tell me to NOT do it! So, clearly, the Abbot isn't intending for me to do kitchen duty, and instead wants me to address what the watch discovered. Besides... she continues, I haven't been caught misbehaving in nearly two months! That's gotta count for something!

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

She sighed, and looked down in shame. "Well, I can't say I didn't do what the Abbot told me to do, try to turn you away," She smiled weakly with frowning eyes. "I just hope you understand his reasons. He really thinks of you as a daughter, you know," Poppy pleaded. "It's not too uncommon for the Abbot of the time, or any figure in the Abbey for that matter, to have such feelings. We've all heard the stories- Mordalfus thought of Matthias the Warrior as a son. I'm certain you can do whatever to convince Marilo it's fine for you to help in this." She paused with another sigh, then lightened up. "I'll take care of kitchen duty for you, I suppose. Perhaps this is your destiny, to prove yourself, as Samkim the Squirrel Warrior had done when he went out to recover Martin's sword." She winked. "I won't stop you."
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-10-02 at 11:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quincy almost fell out of bed when the knock at the door startled him. Fortunately for him, his reflexes kicked in before he could hit the floor, and he stifled a yawn as he prepared for the day. It was almost as if he had been here for too long, he was sleeping in later and later in the day without the rigid schedule from home. He pulled the simple travelling clothes he wore over his head before fastening his cloak to the shoulders. The hare wasn't sure what kind of meeting the Abbot would want from him, but he would do his best to look his best. Just as long as he could get some lunch afterwards. He hummed idly to himself as he left the room and made his way to the courtyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

For those of you who've already left for the courtyard:

Having slept on the second floor, you descend the spiral staircase with smells beginning to hit your nostrils: Freshly baked bread, well-grilled fish, soups and cheeses. Crossing the main hall, the colors of the pane glass windows glimmering down on you all, painting dim, blurry images of Martin the Warrior, Matthias the warrior, and a few other warriors, abbots, and abbesses you don't recognize or remember, but among them a mole, otter, badger, and hare.

Coming through the antechamber containing the tapestry of Martin and stepping past the open gate to the main hall, the 9:00 fall sun hits you on your left- and a faintly chilly wind from the west.

In front of you, on the benches lining the path to the main gate, sitting under one of the lone trees in the front courtyard, a fox, eating a bowl of beetroot soup. The black and dark blue-furred body of the sly figure was dressed in a green felt tunic and a black belt around the waist, with a silver buckle. On this belt hung a small axe- the weapon of the Marlfoxes, who to common knowledge, had gone extinct since the Swifteye family of Squirrels stopped Silth's family's raiding of Redwall. On a bench across from him sat the Abbot, a squirrel dressed in the common brown robes of the abbots.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-10-03 at 09:40 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    She sighed, and looked down in shame. "Well, I can't say I didn't do what the Abbot told me to do, try to turn you away," She smiled weakly with frowning eyes. "I just hope you understand his reasons. He really thinks of you as a daughter, you know," Poppy pleaded. "It's not too uncommon for the Abbot of the time, or any figure in the Abbey for that matter, to have such feelings. We've all heard the stories- Mordalfus thought of Matthias the Warrior as a son. I'm certain you can do whatever to convince Marilo it's fine for you to help in this." She paused with another sigh, then lightened up. "I'll take care of kitchen duty for you, I suppose. Perhaps this is your destiny, to prove yourself, as Samkim the Squirrel Warrior had done when he went out to recover Martin's sword." She winked. "I won't stop you."
    You're the best, Poppy! Nala says, giving her a quick hug. I appreciate it, she adds, before heading for the courtyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    For those of you who've already left for the courtyard:

Having slept on the second floor, you descend the spiral staircase with smells beginning to hit your nostrils: Freshly baked bread, well-grilled fish, soups and cheeses. Crossing the main hall, the colors of the pane glass windows glimmering down on you all, painting dim, blurry images of Martin the Warrior, Matthias the warrior, and a few other warriors, abbots, and abbesses you don't recognize or remember, but among them a mole, otter, badger, and hare.

Coming through the antechamber containing the tapestry of Martin and stepping past the open gate to the main hall, the 9:00 fall sun hits you on your left- and a faintly chilly wind from the west.

In front of you, on the benches lining the path to the main gate, sitting under one of the lone trees in the front courtyard, a fox, eating a bowl of beetroot soup. The black and dark blue-furred body of the sly figure was dressed in a green felt tunic and a black belt around the waist, with a silver buckle. On this belt hung a small axe- the weapon of the Marlfoxes, who to common knowledge, had gone extinct since the Swifteye family of Squirrels stopped Silth's family's raiding of Redwall. On a bench across from him sat the Abbot, a squirrel dressed in the common brown robes of the abbots.
    Nala comes down, and figures the best approach is honesty and kindness. Hello there, sirs! she says as she approaches the Abbot and the fox. Poppy is handling my kitchen duty, so you don't have to worry about being understaffed there. She's just the best, isn't she?

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"Watch your step Ms.Nala!" Ramiro echo from his helmet.
    "They might be up for maliciouse trickery!"

------
    My previouse Avater

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quincy arrives a little later than the others, having been distracted by the delicious smells of food in the stairway and the main hall. While he too isn't quite sure what to make of a fox holding such a sinister weapon, he decides simpler introductions are in order. After all, if the fox did try something, there were a handful of goodbeasts nearby to put a stop to it quickly. He gives a bow to the Abbot, theatrically introducing himself, "Quincy Heathshaw, Hare of the Long Patrol, currently on assignment in Mossflower and the surrounding area, and hearty devourer or delicious Redwall dinners, at your service, my good Sir Abbot. I do hope we can aid you before the next meal is served!"
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Marilo turned around, glasses nestled on the end of his nose. He stood, stared at Nala for a moment, sighed in the direction of the Abbey, and returned to business, nodding respectfully to Quincy while the fox continued to slurp his soup.

"This fox means no harm, I assure you, Nala, Sir Ramiro. He wishes to stay here, though he has not gone wandering inside or along the walls as someone wanting to conquer the Abbey might do. He came alone- the watch made certain that was true-" the fox slurped loudly, interrupting Marilo and drawing attention to him.

Upon closer inspection, this fox is very thin and malnourished, and their exposed feet and legs showed evidence of having ran for a good period of time cross country, tripping more than a few times. The felt tunic was torn in a few places.

"Well, he can tell the story better than I, who have only just heard it, and I don't even know the whole of it." Marilo stepped past the five of you, walking to the Abbey where two brother mice were waiting. He watched his feet the whole way along.

The fox downed the rest of his soup, ironically setting it down lightly next to him on the bench. Unstereotypically for a fox, he remained humbly seated and didn't move in his seat.

"Sit, please," he uttered with a low growl and a wince as a cut on the side of his face opened slightly. "All of you. I'll tell you my story, and answer any questions you have."
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-10-03 at 12:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Urick let's out a hearty laugh, "How amusing." He grabs his meal and takes a seat across from the fox. After a few voracious bites, he eyes the new arrival up to down. "Well, don't let me keep you waiting. What brings you to our neck of the woods? Seems like you traveled quite a distance to come here..."

Urick takes another bite, and points at the fox with half eaten loaf of bread.

"And not without your fair share bumps and bruises either"
    Last edited by ReverseHermit; 2019-10-03 at 01:19 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quincy quietly sits down as well, curious to hear the fox's story. Running from beyond Mossflower Country was no small feat; even the gallopers of the Long Patrol had to pace themselves to keep from collapsing at their destination, and the fox either wasn't experienced enough to know this or was given speed by urgency to ignore the pain.

17. - Top - End - #17

Nala murmurs a quick Thanks! to the Abbot, before taking a seat. Her legs bounce a little, but she does her best to keep still and pay attention.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Ramiro remaind finally took a seat. Not touching the food. He never ate with others, not wanting to disgust the others with what he is hiding under the helmet.
    "I am aware that there are "vermin" individuals who can be good as any other animal- actually, the mother of my son is a rat. But.. I have traveled the land. Sadly, good people of your kind are relatively rare.'

------
    My previouse Avater

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

The fox begins to regale you with his tale.
    "To begin with, as you can see, I am a Marlfox, or rather, half Marlfox. It's common knowledge the family of Silth Marlfox was destroyed, their madness taking each of them one by one. I however, am the pup of Lantur, Silth's daughter, who killed Silth in order to become high queen of Castle Marl. It's unknown to me how many pups she had, as I was shipped off the island before I could retain anything. I was raised by rats in that area of the world. And then I left when I was sufficiently old.

"I decided to see what had become of my birthplace- there I found a group of osprey ruling over the water rats who lived there- your Abbot has just regaled me with the tale of Mighty Megraw, who took Castle Marl from the Magpies who had worked for the Marlfoxes. They were partially anxious about my arrival, my being a Marlfox, but I was alone, as I was when I came here. The bird who took charge ahead of an elderly Megraw decided to welcome me instead of having me row my way back over the pike infested waters.

"I stayed there for a few days. The old rats watched me from a distance in fear, but the young ones looked at me in awe- they had never seen the foxes of which the old rats told stories, and when they finally saw one, it was a noble one, totally unlike the stories. I had spoken of staying, and perpetuating the beliefs of Matthias that Megraw taught to the water rats, so the Osprey could leave and find a proper place for Megraw to die...

"But then, something struck. Mud and dirt exploded from the ground, and in a flash a few rats nearby were bitten and killed- it was an Adder, possibly bigger than the ones of legend.

"I am no more a fighter than Silth ever was- I carry this axe only as a symbol of my past. The edge is dull. So I ran and told the other rats to run. In my stead, the Osprey began to do battle with the snake. Just as they had started to do so, dark shapes descended and slew them.

"Bats? Vultures? Crows? What evilbeast had done this? I didn't stop to look, and ran to my boat, with only what you see now on my back. They had not expected a Marlfox to be there, and did not pursue, as the number of boats was not surplus to their expectations.

"I ran for a day and a half through the wood to get here, leaving my boat. Whatever malevolent teamup of flying beast and Adder has taken Castle Marl, their goal is clear- to raise an army and take Redwall."
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-10-04 at 12:16 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Nala's legs stop jostling as the story gets under way. Her face saddens, and when the fox finishes, she stands up. I'm sorry-for you and your family. And I thank you-for bringing us this knowledge. I promise that we'll ensure this doesn't happen to anyone else-not to Redwall, not to anywhere.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quincy listens and turns to the Abbot once the tale has been told. "Right, so what's our task? Send the snake slithering back to a hole somewhere and wallop whatever winged fiends have descended on the castle? Scout for numbers while we send word to the Badger Lord and the Long Patrol? Secret away any survivors and shore up our defenses here? Sounds like the time has come for decisive actions."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

The squirrel Abbot returns, carrying under his arms an old, curling parchment. He rolls it out on the ground- it depicts a map of the surrounding land.

"It's a bit outdated, as you can see," he said, indicating the marker for St. Ninian's church. "It may not be common knowledge, but after it was used twice to attack the Abbey, it was ordered burnt by recorder Rollo. In its place, to the east and west, St. Bracken's church, named after Bracken the Brave, and St. Rose's church, named for Matthias's love, were built, managed by brothers and sisters, respectively, from the Abbey where Ninian's was almost always empty." Marilo glanced a cursory look over you five, then the fox.

"It is likely they will mobilize their rat forces to assault one of the two churches, the fox spoke up. "They must be met and stopped before they can take control."

"But wanton killing will not solve this problem. The rats follow them out of fear, as they had under the Marlfoxes, but it is a lesser fear. They will be swayed fairly easily."
    Marilo paused. "However, Quincy brings up a good point. The faction of rats in Castle Marl will be larger than ever before, and they will come at us with strength if we fail to convince them of the mistake it is to follow the orders of oppressive evilbeasts. The badger lords would be good to call to aid."
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-10-04 at 02:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

I can talk to them-you know me, Nala says. Silver tongued AND small enough to not be scary to them outright.

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Brix

The sight of a fox caused the scars on Brix's back to throb anew. She had be whipped many times by a fox during her time as a slave. However, these feelings of hate should not be directed towards this individual and words of hate have no place within this great place. Brix holds her tongue and listens to what the fox has to say.

Much of the past events in the story are unfamiliar to her as she only recently arrived at Redwall and knows little of the history. A visit with one of the elders in order to learn more of the relevant history would be helpful.

"I have come upon shrews that roam the rivers in my travels. If they have a presence in the area we may want to warn them."
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

The Abbot frowned frustratedly when Nala spoke, but nodded. He nodded again when Brix made a suggestion.

"Correct, the log-a-logs of Mossflower Country must be alerted, however, they will be in much more danger if the churches are taken. While they are well prepared for siege, enough force will push through. An approaching force will likely not stop to terrorize shrews if they know the lay of the land. On the other hand, if they do not, they might attack the shrews in order to get a guide..."

"The defenses must be bolstered before we worry about the health of the shrews," the fox declared. "The enemy in Castle Marl might try to use the churches' inland position to find alliances among the wildcats and birds, as well as stray groups of more motivated rats, in the forest. There is little time, for it will take around a day and a half's paced travel to arrive there, and they will have started mobilizing soon."

"To say the least, there is much to do."
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-10-04 at 11:02 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Brix

"Warn them that they might be missing out on a good fight." Says Brix with a small smile. "We could use their help."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"The residents of the mossflower forest need to be warned as well. So, in short, we need to prepare for the possibility for invasion, and then and try to stop it.' Ramiro gotten, putting his iron gloved hand over the hilt of hiis sword.
    "By any mean. Please, forgive me, noble stranger. I know, that any animal can hoose it's path for good or ill, my wife was even a rat. But.. most of certain kinds are choosing ill. Please rest in the abbey.'

------
    My previouse Avater

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you, friend mouse," The fox bellowed with a snarled neutral expression, licking his chops of the soup that remained there. "I only wished to not seem suspicious, knowing the history of my ancestry, and my kind. That was why I did not enter the central building itself." Marilo began speaking to the two brother mice off to the side. The fox stood tall over the mouse, squirrels, and hare with a very slight hunch. "To pay respects to the goodbeasts slain by the hands of my uncles and fox relatives on the side of my father, whose name and existence both are lost to time entirely. Only if I get cold will I go inside; You all are incredibly polite and trusting to welcome me, but I fear the eyes of Martin and Matthias looking down on me would scorn my very presence, for in their time even warriors like them would not trust a fox, let alone a marlfox." The fox set himself back down on the bench, wrapping himself in a blanket that had been lying nearby.

The two brother mice silently jogged past into the central building, leaving Marilo there with you, who looks over you all in silence.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quincy stands up and brushes off his clothing. He was anxious to get going, especially if there was no time to lose. "So, one church to the east, the other to the west.
    Have we the faintest clue to which they will reach first?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

"Seeing as the island of Marl is slightly east, one might guess St. Rose's, in the east. Then again, if they took a straight path there, it would be partially through forest- rats who don't want to fight would be hard to, excuse my language, "herd" through that area.