New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Xacha View Post
    "Best stick together. Wanna see what kind on marketplace they have around here? Frankly I could use some new clothes -" she gestures towards her torn and bloody customs office uniform
    Ellie stops a moment and looks at her own torn up and bloody dress. "Ah! Yeah, I... suppose I should replace this or else the Grand Alchemist will take it out of my wages. Oh, I could also restock my alchemical reagents! Yes, this is a great idea, Zarra!"
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Look at that! Fascinating!" The gnome is oblivious to any call for haste, so engrossed he is in the discoveries in this room, which he describes to his comrades in his typically breathless way. "A summoning circle I knew it and this book is magical it's got the ritual for summoning velstracs they're like demons but from the plane of shadow oh relatively minor ones but still they're called augurs and several of them have been summoned recently here!"

"Then there's this musical box it's magical too but I can't quite fathom its function and also this bunch of books would make good reading although probably not relevant to the other things going on around here and oh look these letters have you ever seen an alphabet like this by any chance? Magical signature too and I don't at all like the look of this it's an arcane mark you know a wizard can do it but I haven't develop mine yet did I say I was just an apprentice?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The Read Aura cantrip only works on magical items, but provides the school of magic. The book of summoning is certainly conjuration. What about the music box?

Trying to figure out some of the letter's script with Lore (Theatre) (1d20+4)[15]

Perception to notice if someone is approaching (1d20+5)[7]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-10-30 at 08:29 AM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Bugbear in the Playground

Adria looks around in wonder at the massive subterranean city of homonculi. She'd never seen anything like this. But she's broken from her reverie when Zarrachia calls to her. "...right. I need this taken care of before anything bad happens. Then... I'd like some better clothes, and a rest, and a nice meal. If the custodians of this place permit."

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

"Fascinating" Raka responded uneasily. It wasn't that she was scared of magic, she just though it should be approached with caution and care, and she wasn't certain her new ally was in that frame of mind."Try not to summon another one of those things."

While he focused on the magic, Raka focused on the mundane, helping Sachni with the search. She had less than 2 gold pieces in her savings, and it wasn't like the old owners could use any of this now.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Looks like we've got two perception checks coming up.

First, to search the room: (d20+7)[24]

Then, to be aware of danger (d20+7)[24]
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Belginabo, Sachni, Raka
    The elven letters are, perhaps needless to say, all in the same hand. They also contain an identical passage at the start each time, something Belginabo can't quite work out, but seems similar to how elven plays sometimes begin with an invocation to Desna or Shelyn. The author is blessing his correspondence? Or the work of his subordinate? There doesn't seem to be a god attached to it though, or a king, there's no individual name used.

The gist of the three letters is somewhat occluded by the flowery elven language, but if there's anyone expert at using three words where one would do, it's Belginabo. The first letter is an introduction of some kind, and provides Bel with his first clue. This is addressed to someone called 'Baron Azariah'. The letter acknowledges his interest in joining... something, it uses nias nantha, which literally translates as 'end of destiny', but that seems like a poetic description of whatever group the author leads than a name. There's some talk of initiation, a location, and then an expression of faith in the baron proving himself worthy to join their number, followed by the mark-signature. Notably, no name is attached to the latter. The implication being that even as an outsider, Azariah was familiar enough with the group to know the sign and who was writing to him.

The second letter seems more promising. It requests that in furtherance of their 'design', Azariah should acquire some kind of item "from the city of vapours and fumes" in the north. Obviously a reference to Oenopion, and leads further credence to the idea that this is originating in Geb, especially since Alkenstar lacks a clear feudal system beyond the city's reigning duke. The author suggests Baron Azariah utilize his food reserves to subcontract the matter to wasteland goblin tribes, to ensure that his own involvement in this is kept covert.

The third is the briefest, and notably clipped in comparison to the other two, omitting flowery language and poetic turns. It's to inform Azariah of a change of plans. "There is a vault beneath the city itself." The mysterious author is curt and no longer couching things in polite or respectful terms: the baron is ordered to travel to Oenopion immediately, take possession of this mysterious object himself as soon as he can make contact with the goblin thieves, and open the vault by any means necessary. It seems nobility does not command respect from the magician who wrote this. Still, he seems to have returned to his more colourful composition manner for the final line, with a series of flowery terms even Belginabo has never encountered before.

"[Noun] is regrettable. But [Adjective-Noun] matters far more, Azariah. [Verb] the [Noun, Verb], and Oenopion will mark the beginning of our ascendency, and the downfall of the Way."

Searching the rest of the room elicits a fair haul for the group. Belginabo locates a silver wand in the desk draw, Raka finds an axe lying behind a cabinet, clearly sized for the zombie the group destroyed. Sachni has some trouble, but is able to locate a small crate of potions - likely purloined from the ooze pits above. With them is a small black purse - opening it, the party find a hefty looking pile of golden coins, each minted with a curved ankh design on one side, and an imperious man with a crown on the other. Gebbite gold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Loot time! Belginabo finds a Wand of Magic Missiles (Level 1), Raka finds a Large Retributive Axe, and Sachni finds a vial of Moderate Bestial Mutagen, one of Oil of Potency and three vials of minor Elixir of Life. The desk purse contains 30gp

Also, good news! Nothing seems to be sneaking up on you! Also the aura on the box is also Conjuration
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-10-30 at 07:25 AM.

6. - Top - End - #306

"Wow! I can't believe it!" Belginabo cries out excitedly, "we just found who was behind the goblins' and apes' attack then we have these other letters I can't begin to decipher and we should find the lost people as soon as we can I guess Lady Adria can read elven better than me."

As he gradually calms down, he able to share his findings with his companions in a more manageable way. Then, a little later, he makes a fascinating find... A magic wand! "A wizard's excellent tool! If this horrible tiny hag comes back, she'll feel my wrath!" He shakes it around in a fairly serious-looking flourish, but doesn't actually attempt to activate it. "I'd love to try it out, but one should never use arcane power in a frivolous manner", he says, nodding punctiliously.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying out the new rules for identification. Belginabo will try to Identify Magic with an Arcana roll, in order to understand what the music box can do. It doesn't say so in the rule, but I think it makes sense this should be a secret roll, since mis-identification is possible.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-10-30 at 08:34 AM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Zarrachia

"I think we're the only people here without wings," whispers Zarra. "Unless people are hiding, we're in a city of homunculese ... homunces ... homunculiis ... these flappy things."

She frowns. "... but they're constructs, right? I mean, all the ones in the city were made by wizards. They're made from clay and ash, I remember. How are they running a city? Do they breed down here? And do they eat, because ya'll, I'm getting hungry."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Zarrachia, Ellie, Adria
    Koma, Ody and Nihnin all shake their heads, withdrawing after Kell and Yara in search of somewhere to rest. Peridora looks on after them, a little tempted, but the sight of the gleaming magical city sets her eyes sparkling again and she falls into step with the group. Crossing the bridge, the strange group in tattered bloody clothes start to walk through the secret city of Hekephra. The homunculi they pass are many and varied - some in uniforms, some in robes, some short and young, some faded and wizened, all going about their daily lives just as any other folk might. It takes the travellers some time to find anything akin to a marketplace. There seem to be businesses operating in Hekephra, craftsmen, eateries, even the occasional bar, but nothing akin to the marketplace of Oenopion. Public plazas just have a scattering of homunculi relaxing and talking amongst themselves.

After a little searching, the reason behind this becomes clear. The homunculi don't have a clear need for mercantilism. They have duties, which they undertake in service to the city, and the city is organized in such a way that the need for food and shelter is filled by them in turn. Anything else is where currency comes in, used to purchase something outside the expected norms, such as a glass of exceptionally fine wine, a rare book, or art to personalize your quarters. Barter is as common as coin.

Thankfully for you, this just means you have to direct your inquiries to the appropriate quarters, walking to find the right people. A little inconvenient but not a death knell to your intent. A tailor is happy to finally have the chance to practice his skills on topsiders, working up some of his practice works to meet Zarrachia's needs. The medical ward are happy to part with some of their surplus healing supplies, and Ellie is able to find some 'erbs easily enough from a savvy nurse. The homunculi are trying very hard not to stare at the four of you, but it's hard to avoid the excited whispers and curious eyes. Amidst a civilization of tiny creatures with wings, you all stand out quite remarkably, even though the city is sized more to your convenience than theirs.

Peridora is almost as fascinated by the homunculi as they are by her. Adria meanwhile has been glancing around for a church. There are a few buildings that look like they were built to be temples, but most seem uninhabited. She glanced into one briefly - there were pews, a lectern and an altar, but no holy symbols, and the stained glass set into the windows just provided pleasent shades of red and green. The temples were not intended for the homunculi apparently.

Show
    Okay, a healing kit for everyone, that's fine. Ellie can get her reagents back. Zarra has her choice of new outfits. You can pay with coin or goods. Anything else you want to acquire?

Spoiler: Secret Roll
    Show
    (d20+5)[14]

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Belginabo
    Belginabo doesn't know exactly what the box does, but he suspects its magic is linked directly with Cadenza's - there's silver worked waves on here that match the water spell she tried to blast him with. Perhaps this is how she used that. Then again, Conjuration effects can fold space - it might serve as her sleeping quarters, or potentially work as a small portable portal for the doll to travel through. It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation - if he knew what the box did, he could probably open it. But the best way to figure that out would be to open the box for a closer examination.

10. - Top - End - #310

Ellie is happy to replace her dress, if the little tailor can make it breathable. Maybe not so much skirt this time so it isn't dragging on the ground?

She does strike conversation when she can. "So, you all live down here, but the city is sized more for people of our height? Why is that? Is this city meant to be like... Oh well I guess it's sanctuary from the surface?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ettin in the Playground

Sachni was clearly pleased by all these discoveries. She was also growing anxious about the time spent here.

"Excellent! The Grand Alchemist will definitely value this information. Now let's grab everything, and depart. The survivors are in far more danger than previously thought. We should resume the search."

Not to mention evading Cadenza's reinforcements.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Zarra, Ellie, Adria
    "That's the plan!" The tailor warbles happily as he works, proud to explain his city's intended purpose. Though there's a faint note of disappointment in his eyes at the fact that Ellie doesn't already know all this. "The door's supposed to be opened if another blight hits, something more intense than the last, so we can take in refugees and keep them safe while the Archmage works on rebuilding. We've got farmland, space, supplies - everything you'd need."

"Then... how come we got in?" Peridora asks. The tailor shrugs. "That's a mystery to us as well. You'd have to ask the Wardmeister. She's in charge of the gate, as well as our scrying chamber. She's supposed to give the order to receive refugees, but didn't. She must not've known you were coming either."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, sorry for a brief info dump but I never had a chance to work in information on the 'Blight' very explicitly. Nex is hella barren when it comes to arable land. That's down to Geb hitting them with a blighting curse during the war that lingers through to today. There's a few carefully curated areas of greenery in the cities, magically warded at great expense, but no farmland, woods, anything like that. The idea the homunculus is sharing is that Hekephra was built incase the Ghost King followed up with something even worse that could wipe out people too.

Also because I see this coming up, 'is Nex dead?' is a... debated topic within the nation. The facts of the matter are that during the Siege of Quantium, Nex withdrew to an extraplanar refuge and hasn't been seen since. He was seemingly ageless, having used something called the Crux to be able to persist across the centuries, so he could still be alive. But if he is, 'why hasn't he come back to help us?' kinda follows as a question. Naysayers and the unpatriotic are less inclined to believe the old mage is still around.

It's plausible that the Homunculi don't know any of that, since this place was likely set up before the Siege of Quantium. They probably think Nex is still in Quantium, ruling the nation even now.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Zarra mutters quietly to herself. "Arable land. I know people topside who would kill for an acre to farm, and it was literally under our noses for four thousand years. We're so desperate for resources that we're harvesting slimes, for the love of the Gods ..."

"Orp."

"Sorry, Goopy, mama loves you, but it's the truth."

She looks at the party, "You realize this is the biggest discovery in ... ever, don't you? If this gets opened up to the people topside, Oenopion just became a much wealthier city."

14. - Top - End - #314

"Yeah, this discovery could easily get me a spot with the Pathfinders!" Ellie squeaked with joy. Her familiar Widget squeaked too.

"As to how the front door opened, we might of found a key that does it for us. Looks like a wand, about this long."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #315

"All right, yes, let's pack up and go!" Belginabo agrees with Sachni. Quickly, he pockets his freshly acquired magical wand, stuffs the music box in his backpack along with the letters, and as many books as will fit - starting, of course, with the tome of summoning. "Ready!"
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-10-31 at 10:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Sachni, Belginabo & Raka
    The group leaves the office fairly swiftly, descending the circular stairs to the mine floor and glancing down various tunnels for signs of Cadenza, or the missing victims they're here to rescue. With the enemy alert to their presence now, they can't afford to wander, they need some idea of a point to head towards on the map.

Before they can proceed however, a screech fills the room. One after another, a trickle slowly turning into a flood, a tide of bats flocks out of one of the shafts before you. From a higher vantage point, two more hefty figures swoop down - bats as well, but far bigger than their kin. One is pale grey, with a dash of pure white fur across its eyes, the other is dark with a more browny tan coat. Both of these great bats stare intently at the three adventurers, running their long tongues across pointed fangs. With a choral "EEEEEEE!" from the pair, the swarm of creatures charges forward towards the errant rescue party.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rooohl initiative! If you can justify another skill than Perception I'll let you use it.
    (d20+11)[18] Stripes
    (d20+11)[14] Tawney
    (d20+10)[30] The Swarm

Ellie, Zarrachia & Adria
    The Homunculi in the city look a little disappointed to see you retire for now, but nod understandingly and are happy to direct you towards the main accommodations complex. Soon enough the three of you are ensconced in a set of fine rooms, with a soft mattress, gentle sheets, a warm bath and a fresh change of clothes ready for you. There's even paintings hung above the bed, depicting Quantium in the early years of Nex's reign. You can faintly hear the sound of Koma and the Cindersnouts laughing and singing just down the hall, everyone starting to feel comfortable in their own room. Adria's finally gotten that home cure for ghoul fever brewed, Zarrachia is talking to one of the homunculi about just what they can find for Goopy to eat.
    Wait... the three of you? Has anyone seen Peridora lately?
    Spoiler: Adria
    Show
    Ghoul Fever treated successfully. So you get +4 to your next Fort Save, right? Which'd trigger after a day, so... tomorrow morning?

Ellie meanwhile is, as ever, hard at work. She's had a busy day and now has a chance to rest and experiment. She's happily scribbling in her formula book, fiddling with her toolkit and the strange glowing potion. She takes a few readings, makes a few notes before finally taking the plunge and putting the vial to her lips. And...

The room fades around her, as the magic starts to take hold. For a second, all Ellie sees are lines of blue light, as the magic starts to work.

They say the greatest defense of the human mind is its inability to correlate all its contents. That if we could truly understand everything we see, fit it all together into a substantive whole, we'd become mad. In this moment, Ellie sees everything. All the little details she's ever noticed. Things she didn't understand. Things she can't articulate. Things that she shouldn't know but does.

She can see exactly what the augur saw in its final moments, and why it was laughing at them with its last breath.

Oenopion burns. Towers are reduced to rubble, screams ring out in the night beneath the hungry maw of the void above. Ellie's standing right in front of the Guildhall, the stronghold of the Alchemists of Oenopion, her order. The people who she grew up with, who taught her everything she knows about alchemy. Her home. And it looks a thousand times worse than after Koma had attacked it. The great dome is gone, the spires have fallen into the square below. She can hear a golem guard somewhere behind her sputter, slowly losing power before falling to the ground with a clank.

She steps forward, into the charred remains of the lobby. This is instinct now, she does not want to see this, but something is compelling her forward. She finds the bodies, one by one, looking up at her. Instructor Hannan, who used to let her have fizzy sweet cakes whenever she did well in class. Journeyman Tezri, the first time she's ever seen the older woman not smiling. She'd helped sneak Ellie the ingredients to make her first bomb. Beneath the stairs lies Old Master Sabit, a Keleshite with a long bushy white beard. who'd taught her the art of creation, and had patted her on the back fifty times when she finally got Widget working. He'd been so proud, he'd insisted on showing Ellie off to half the Guild.

It keeps going. There's more in every room, lying there, still and lifeless. She walks the entire building, floor by floor, room by room, taking in every face she's ever known lying there on the ground. Her course finally comes to an end back in the Grand Council chamber, where all this had begun. There's three figures in the wreckage here, three she knows very well. Master Borume. Father. Mother. No pulse. No warmth. She can see the skyline through the hole in the wall, engulfed in flame.

Her city is dead.

Spoiler
    Show
    So... Add Potion of Read Omens to your formula book, Ellie. DM gratis. I won't let this count as preparable with infused reagents however. Not that generous.

As for the immediate, you get one question out of this custom preparation of the spell. Ellie can ask it anything about these events, and it has to provide information. Make it count.
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-10-31 at 07:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    Her city is dead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So... Add Potion of Read Omens to your formula book, Ellie. DM gratis. I won't let this count as preparable with infused reagents however. Not that generous.

As for the immediate, you get one question out of this custom preparation of the spell. Ellie can ask it anything about these events, and it has to provide information. Make it count.
    Ellie Sprocket, cursed with knowledge

Ellie shook with fear. She couldn't look away at the dead around her. So much death. The flames consumed everything she knew. She looked up at the charred sky. Tears trickled down her face. Ellie raised her arms. "Who did this? Who burned by home? Killed everyone I loved! ANSWER ME!! WHO DID THIS!?!" She screams into the sky in ultimate suffering of this vision.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-10-31 at 07:47 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Ellie
    Three figures flicker into existence, where the council table had once stood. A impossibly short woman, sized with the homunculi, but with a pale face, pink curly hair and clad in a white soldier's uniform. She grins at Ellie, showing her a bloodied scythe. Next is a rough looking man, a labourer, with a cloth cap and patched jacket. He doesn't make eye contact with Ellie, standing back and looking away.

And between the two, imperious and proud at the head of the group, stands... Ambassador Karja?

No. Nooo. This figure has the same pale skin and sharp fangs, and dresses similarly to the Gebbite, but has a far prouder baring than the diplomat who she'd met in this room not too long ago. She can't imagine this man telling a joke without it being cruel. His hair is shoulder length, pulled back into a braid, his build is more muscular, and he's wearing a breastplate beneath his coat. He's smirking at Ellie, showing a fine ring of pointed teeth. The stranger draws a thin blade with a fancy golden hilt from its scabbard at his side, twirling it through the air nimbly before raising it to the sky above, and then finally bowing to Ellie. All too happy to take credit for what he's done.

From the door behind them a legion of shades, masked by grey cloaks and hefty cowls, file slowly into the room. Their footsteps clatter loudly on the floor of Oenopion's governing chamber. Ellie glances around, looking for something to identify the group. Nothing. Above her, slowly growing closer, she hears the beating of wings. Looking up she sees a great owl, large as a golem, with tawny feathers and wearing a white mask. It circles the flame-wreathed skyline once, before finding a perch upon the ruined wall. Every flap of the creature's wings seems to chill Ellie's soul, almost pushing her to the floor, yet she can hear the hooded figures laugh and cheer, acting like this creature's monstrous chorus. As she struggles to her feet, an ink blot seems to form upon the owl's mask, growing until the visage is entirely a deep, impenetrable black.

A black mask is the symbol of Norgorber. God of greed, murder, poison and secrets.

The owl looks down at Ellie, its amber eyes piercing in a way no human could ever manage. The darkness of the blot is spreading across its body, encompassing its crest and down, until the eyes might be all that remains. She hears Borume's voice, not from the ground, or from the owl, but from her mind: old words of the grand alchemist returning to her.

"Paradox is the blade that cuts the soul. Nothing drives a sane man mad faster than a contradiction."

And with those words, Ellie blinks, and is back in her new bedroom.
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-11-01 at 05:07 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319

Ellie Sprocket

"What? Where? Ahhhh!!" Ellie screams with fear and a mind full of too many horrid images. She collapses on the floor; a sobbing mess. The visions hurt like the darkest nightmare she ever experienced, and she wasn't ready for them.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #320
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Zarrachia returns to the rooms just in time to see Ellie collapse. Quick as a flash, she pries the potion vial out of Ellie's hand and presses a cup of cold water against her lips.

"It's okay, it's alright, you're safe. Take deep breaths, in, out, in, out. Here, sip some water. It's okay. Now, when you feel better and you want to talk ... can you please tell me what the hell just happened?"

21. - Top - End - #321

Ellie sips the water. She calms down a little, but is still visibly shaken.

"I... potion gave... a vision... Oenopion was destroyed... everyone dead... fires everywhere..."

She pauses to take another sip and regain a micron of composure.

"It felt... like an omen... felt real..." Ellie tries to remember the people she saw. "There was... three people who destroyed our city? I remember... a tiny woman with pink hair... a rough looking labourer... with a patched jacket... and a pale skin man... sharp fangs? He dressed like the Geb diplomat, but... bigger... and braided hair... he seemed to be the one who did it..."

Ellie felt like she should write this all down. "Sorry, I'm... Blabbering..."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #322
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

"It's fine, take your time and get your head together. If what you saw was an omen, we still have time to work out what it means."

She gnaws at her lip, "I gotta say, it does seem to ... specific to be just a hallucination. Tomorrow morning, we can head back to the city and start asking questions. Surely someone up there would remember a tiny woman with pink hair."

23. - Top - End - #323

Ellie nods to Zarra. "Yeah, I... I think tomorrow would be good. I should... I should write down what I remember of what they looked like."

She crawls to the bed and picks up her notebook. Ellie slowly scribbles the description of the three figure as best she remembers.

"Tiny woman... with pink hair... not a homuni... humuncul... maybe she was made here? She seemed about their size..."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #324
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

"Hmmmm, good point. You get some rest, I'm going to ask some questions."

Spoiler
    Show

Zarra is going to canvas some of the markets and city squares, looking for information on anyone who matches the description of a tiny woman with pink hair. Also, food.
    Gather Information (Diplomacy): (1d20+8)[11]
    Last edited by Xacha; 2019-11-01 at 10:37 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325

After Ellie finishes scribbling, she nods to Zarra. "Yeah. I'll... I think I'll be okay. Ill try not to go anywhere."

Ellie curls up with Widget and tries to sleep.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #326
    Bugbear in the Playground

Adria woke up when Ellie shrieked, but she was a bit sluggish to respond. She felt bad, but... she couldn't get her thoughts together. "Visions are... warnings, not inevitabilities. If it is real... then knowing is the first step to stopping it. We just need to get out of here and warn Oenopion. But... sleeping is the right idea. You can't function without it. And we can figure out a plan once we're all rested." After having half-mumbled that, Adria settles back into bed. She'll feel bad when she wakes up, but she still needs to master 'beacon of hope'.

Show
    Fort save, since I figure now's the right time

Fort- (1d20+6)[18]

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Belginabo, Sachni & Raka
    The bats are moving quickly, perhaps unnaturally so. The smaller creatures flock over the smaller members of the group, nipping and clawing at Raka and Belginabo. Meanwhile the large tawney bat swoops around the side, eyeing Sachni with a gleaming eye. Soon enough it pounces, ripping at her robes with a fanged maw, and trying to strike her leg with the side of its wing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative Chart
    30: The Swarm
    18: Tawney
    17: Sachni, Raka
    14: Stripes
    9: Belginabo

The swarm hits Belginabo and Raka with two rounds of Blood Fury. So that's (1d4)[1] damage on the first, (1d4)[3] on the second - you guys get DC 16 basic Reflex saving throws against it. Fail, you take that damage and 1 persistent bleed.

Tawney moves to flank Sachni, Bite then Wing Attack
    (d20+10)[17] Attack - Damage (d10+4)[10]
    (d20+6)[25] Attack - Damage (d6+4)[10]

Zarrachia, Ellie & Adria
    Ellie finds it all too easy to sink back onto the bed, Widget nuzzling against her, trying to keep his mistress company. She falls asleep fairly easily in turn. But even as the darkness of rest takes her, she can still make out the amber eyes, the black mask, an image that refuses to fade thanks to the divine power at its heart. The symbol of a god, wrought in magic itself.

Norgorber.

Zarrachia's late night inquiries are met with one common question. "What's hair?" Turns out that, while not quite unknown to homunculi, hair is kinda a rare trait for the creatures - mostly manifest in the Attendants of the Verdant Future (whoever they are). It seems like Pinkamina is nothing to do with this crowd.

Meanwhile, just before Adria can finally lie down.

"Ms. Adria. I just..."

Peridora looks so apologetic to be doing this. The little mage is wearing a nightie, and has put her hand gently to Adria's side, trying to get her attention before she went to bed. "A lot of stuff happened today. But you did something very important. You saved me. You fought so hard to save my life, and I..." Peridora has to remove her glasses. It takes the little wizard a few raking sobs to compose herself, before finally she meets the priestess' gaze again. "I just... I wanted to say that I'm grateful. And that if there's anything I can do to help, I want to do it."

That statement is one she's all too certain in. Peridora gives an emphatic nod, before trying to smile in a powerful, determined way that... lost something of the effect on the small innocent wizardess. "I'm just an apprentice, but I know quite a bit about magic. If you need any help with arcana stuff, just come to me, okay? Battle or puzzle, I've got your back."

Morning! At least, you think it's morning. The lights of Hekephra dimmed for a while there, but now they shine bright once again and the travellers are up and about. The Cindersnouts are engaged in an animated discussion between Koma and Nihnin. Peridora has procured a small set of blank pages, quill and ink and has begun writing something. Each of you have been provided a bowl of warm porridge in the common area. After enough time has passed for you to either finish it, or the oats to cool, Kell shows up. Along with six homunculi in a different uniform, all bearing spears.

"The Wardmeister wants to see you. Please come along." Kell seems a touch spooked. He's trying his best to sound official.
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-11-01 at 05:50 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Zarrachia

Zarrachia takes in the armed, official party and comes to the conclusion that it's time to be friendly.

"Why, of course! We've been just itching to see the Wardmeister since we got here. This is such an amazing town, so well run and efficient, that we just have to speak to people in charge so that we top-siders can learn how it's done ..."

Spoiler
    Show

... and so on.
    Make an impression: (1d20+8)[9] She has Group Impression now, so targeting Kell and whichever guard seems to be in charge.

29. - Top - End - #329

Ellie Sprocket

Ellie looks a bit bruised up, but certainly better than she used to. She multitasks between eating and prepping some odd concoctions into tiny vials, and despite her usual somewhat clumsy appearance she manages not to mix up the two subjects. Though she seems like that kind of incident has happened before.

Ellie is pretty quiet for the morning. "Anyone know who the god Norgerber is?" Except for strange questions like that.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

The group had lingered too long. A swarm of ravenous beasts descended upon them! A particularly nasty one tried to eat Sachni. She evaded its teeth; Only to be sliced by its wing.

"Augh!"

It'd take more than that to beat her. Blocking out the pain, she focused ki. Both her fists glowed with a radiant light. The monk sent a barrage of empowered punches at her opponent.

Show
    Action 1: Enter Tiger Stance.
    Action 2: Cast Ki Strike; Flurry Tawny twice.
    Action 3: Strike Tawny.

If Tawny dies partway through, Sachni will attack another bat.

Flurry 1: (1d20+9)[16]; Damage: (1d8+3)[8]; Ki bonus damage (Positive): (1d6)[3]; Bleed (only on crit): (1d4)[1]
    Flurry 2: (1d20+5)[23]; Damage: (1d8+3)[7]; Ki bonus damage (Positive): (1d6)[3]; Bleed (only on crit): (1d4)[1]
    Strike: (1d20)[20]; Damage: [roll]1d8+r[/roll]; Bleed (only on crit): (1d4)[4]