New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

When Zalenko unexpectedly shows up and intervenes, Belginabo takes a step back. After all, he only met this guy today... What's going to be his reaction?

But then, his newfound master steps to the plate beautifully, not only vouching for him, but putting him in the bright spot! The place he likes best. He refrains from smirking in Valash's direction: He's recognized the signs of the Bleaching, and his resentment is dampened by a bit of pity for the old geezer. But this isn't about Valash, it's about saving innocents, it's about adventure!

"Yes, Master, I am ready! With your guidance, I have accomplished my first step today, but I realize there is much, much more for me to learn before I can call myself a wizard like yourself, and the esteemed Castellan. I will accept this mission as another test of my abilities." Here, a waist-deep bow, carefully avoiding any trace of mockery, in Valash's direction. He then turns to the crowd.

"Today we saw a brazen assault on the peace and lawful authorities of Oenopion. A greater disaster was averted, thanks to the brave efforts of the city guards, and a few citizens, assisted in no small way by some of our honored guests." A respectful nod in the direction of the cautious Jalmeray representative here... "I am proud that I helped a little. But several people fell into the great Ooze Pit here! Are we going to forget about them? NO! As Sarenrae and all the gods are my witnesses, and with your permission, Master ZALENKO, with the blessing of our rightful leaders" - another bow towards Borume, another to Valash - "I am ready, I am volunteering to come to the rescue, with all that are willing to join me!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+6)[10]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    The bolt clatters around inside the armor's power source once again. It falters, the breaking of its power flow disrupting its concentration. And that's when Koma springs. "Just DIE ALREADY!" the Cindersnout calls, ducking under the khopesh and ramming his sword right into the creature's chest cavity, again and again until the ancient automaton finally, blessedly stops moving.

Koma looks up towards his new friend. Ellie can see he's bleeding too, a patch of red starting to stain his blue dyed coat. The goblin barely seems to notice, his focus on his companion. "Ellie? You hurt too?" He moves to the bed, taking one of the sheets and starting to cut it to provide some material for binding wounds.
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    My exp total is at 740 right now with the addition from this fight, so my math supports your assessment.

Ellie did not respond immediately. She leaned against the wall and caught her breath, hand pressed against her own wound to staunch the bleeding. The adrenaline in her veins drowned out mot of the fear, but it was still there. It was her first real fight-or-die battle. Just her and the goblin Koma against... some kind of magical construct. Her head swam with thoughts and emotions. Did this get easier with experience? By the divines she hoped so.

"I... I got stabbed, Koma." Ellie finally responded. "Is this what it's like to fight for your life?"

She found strength to push herself from the wall and walk over to the goblin. He was wounded too that she could see, but he seemed to fare better mentally. Ellie felt a bit small--the goblin was experienced in a fight. She was not. At least Ellie understood enough medicine to recognize what Koma was doing with the sheets.

"Here, I... I can help cut strips." She picks up a blade from the floor to assist. "Thank you, for saving my life."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ellie has Medicine trained. Might be helpful for bandaging, or at least as an assist roll if Koma knows it better? (1d20+3)[7]
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Adria relaxes a bit as the ghouls crumble. It wasn't the first time she'd been attacked by undead, but it was the first time she had allies to stand and fight with. She looks at her bite mark, then at Zarrachia. "You're right. We have to hurry now, we don't have the luxury of waiting around. I might be able to staunch things, there were some folk remedies back in Geb for the unfortunate... Nihnin, let me see if we can find anything to help with it." While that's going, she whispers in Zarrachia's ear. "If something happens to me, if I die... hide my body somewhere Peridora won't see it, then cut off my head so I don't come back. And... I have a book of Sarenrae's scripture. Please, find it, open it up to the dog-eared page, and say a prayer for me. Whether or not you believe it."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Ellie
    Koma shakes his head. "We save each other. That how team works. You not here, Koma probably not win that. Not without Cindersnouts. Even then, probably lose some friends."

The little goblin looks up from his work with concern. Koma knows the tone of Ellie's words well enough, though with their differences he's not sure what to say to her. He takes a second before getting back to work, tying a bandage across each of their wounds, but before he finishes tightening Ellie's the little rogue wets his finger briefly in her blood. Before the alchemist can object, Koma's fingers dart across her face, painting a design in dark red. A design much like the one the goblin himself wears.

"Here. You fight with Koma. You help save Koma. You Cindersnout for today, Ellie!" He hands her a piece of the destroyed armor, letting Ellie see her reflection. He's done his best with it, swirls and curves bedeck her face. He's practiced at doing this with disobedient young goblins, those inclined to squirm. Koma grins nervously. "You like?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to get back to exploring. This is just Koma's attempt to cheer Ellie up. And I'll have Koma make some rolls - (d20+5)[9] for himself, (d20+5)[18] for Ellie. Note, this is supposed to need a healer's kit, I'm handwaving that in the interests of short term mercy, but that's a one time thing

Belginabo
    It's not Bel's best delivered speech, but Zalenko has set the crowd up for it and they were already in a receptive mood. Bel gets his share of cheers, some whoops of appreciation. No more volunteers, but at least everyone seems with him in spirit. With one sole exception.

Valash groans. "Showboater and showboater. You two deserve each other." He gives Belginabo a lengthy look, before turning away and walking back to Borume's side, the conversation over as far as he's concerned.

"Eh, let the old grump be. Here." Zalenko bends down by Bel's side, placing a hand to the hilt of the gnome's rapier. Bel can feel the clink of a rock against the surface. There's a bzzt, and Belginabo can feel something shift in the blade by his side. Glancing down, a small green rune is now glowing on the hilt. Zalenko stands, grinning down. "Can't have my apprentice gettin' himself killed now, can I? I've got to mind the stall, but you come back, you hear kid?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Belginabo's rapier just gained a rune of +1 weapon potency.

Belginabo, Sachni & Raka
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to hold off a bit to give Estra a chance to have Raka catch up, and bring you a touch more into sync with the other groups. Anyr and Gwyn - if you've got anything more you'd like to do topside before descending, feel free. Borume won't push you down the pit - you go when you're ready.
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-10-20 at 11:53 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155

Ellie
    Koma shakes his head. "We save each other. That how team works. You not here, Koma probably not win that. Not without Cindersnouts. Even then, probably lose some friends."

The little goblin looks up from his work with concern. Koma knows the tone of Ellie's words well enough, though with their differences he's not sure what to say to her. He takes a second before getting back to work, tying a bandage across each of their wounds, but before he finishes tightening Ellie's the little rogue wets his finger briefly in her blood. Before the alchemist can object, Koma's fingers dart across her face, painting a design in dark red. A design much like the one the goblin himself wears.

"Here. You fight with Koma. You help save Koma. You Cindersnout for today, Ellie!" He hands her a piece of the destroyed armor, letting Ellie see her reflection. He's done his best with it, swirls and curves bedeck her face. He's practiced at doing this with disobedient young goblins, those inclined to squirm. Koma grins nervously. "You like?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to get back to exploring. This is just Koma's attempt to cheer Ellie up. And I'll have Koma make some rolls - (1d20+5)[11] for himself, [roll1] for Ellie. Note, this is supposed to need a healer's kit, I'm handwaving that in the interests of short term mercy, but that's a one time thing
    Ellie Sprocket, Cindersnout?

Ellie looks at her face in the reflection. She couldn't stop it. She can't. She cracked a little smile. "Yeah, I like it, Koma. Thanks."

It worked; she cheered up.

Ellie stands and rummages around for some more crossbow bolts. The pain in her wound still stung, but she tried to just deal with it and move on. "I guess we should... check the doors now? Hopefully we don't find any more suits of armor, but at least if we see one, we know not to get close." She gives Koma time to collect himself too, and when he\s ready, Ellie will go approach a door and see if it can be opened.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I assumed the medicine check wouldn't do anything mechanically for me since no, we don't have a medicine kit, but I rolled just to have something to do there.

As for doors, I guess pick one at random and inspect it for anything unusual?
    Perception (1d20+5)[11]
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-10-20 at 03:51 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Zarrachia

"Hush now, none of that defeatist talk," whispers Zarrachia, patting Ardia on the shoulder. "We'll have you out of here in no time. Then it's just a trip to the temple of Pharasma and a stern lecture about hygiene and you'll be right as rain."

Zarra produces chalk from her bag and makes a large "X" on the cave wall. "I'm guessing that we don't want to go deeper into this tunnel without back up. No telling what else is lurking here. I say we head back the way we came and look for another path upwards."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Ellie
    Koma nods, following Ellie's lead. It doesn't take the pair long to perform a cursory inspection of the hallway. None of the doors are trapped. Only the fancy one at the end of the hallway is locked, leaving two: one next to the barracks and by Nex's Door. And the one next to the teleport room.

Stepping ahead, Koma pulls each one just slightly ajar, enough for Ellie to peep inside. The one on the barracks side of the hallway looks to be some kind of guard-post, with desks, a table and writing supplies. It seems to extend a little past Nex's door, but she's not seeing another exit. The other room, next to the teleportation circle... is pitch black. Koma squints, trying to make out whatever might lie within, but eventually shrugs. It seems this room is too dark for even a goblin.

Ardia & Zarrachia
    Nihnin spits at the ashes of the creatures after she claims the unlife of her mark. "Nihnin know this one. Goblins get same fever - live near Geb. Saw some kravetz back there, that help." Before anyone can object, the Cindersnout is off, polearm at the ready. Her eyes are apparently pretty good in the darkness. Peridora meanwhile is just clinging to Adria's leg. She doesn't have the words for this situation, but that fight was a bit much for the young wizardess.

Zarrachia's examination of the bottles produces a somewhat positive result. The alchemist didn't have time to finish printing the fancy labels that'd be put on them for sale, but he had scribbled brief notes to tell the three apart. And they're even in Halfling!

Oh carp. The notes are in Halfling.

'Nolly Knocker' - Smokey bottle, dark liquid. Looks unappetizing. More like something you'd use to scour a sewer than something you'd drink.
    'Wilderman's Way' - If you didn't know better, you'd swear it was apple cider. Right colour, right consistency, everything. Zarra knows the oozehands have a few weird brews they like to try, though the alchemists don't generally do that. As far as she knows, anyway.
    'The Good Stuff' - Definitely a magic potion, the liquid seems to shift colour between various bright shades just as you look at it. Goopy seems to react to this one, shifting back and forth against Xarra as she looks at it and making a happy burbling sound. It's rare to see him react this way to something consumable - usually if he wants it, he just darts for it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, you don't want to go in the direction you found the creepy ghouls in, fair enough.

Two Survival checks. One to find your way back to where you started, another to find a good alternate path. Zarra's getting turned around here, she's not doing the easy option.

Actually, I'll call for the first check before you leave. You'd know if you weren't sure what way you'd come in, right?

8. - Top - End - #158

Stepping ahead, Koma pulls each one just slightly ajar, enough for Ellie to peep inside. The one on the barracks side of the hallway looks to be some kind of guard-post, with desks, a table and writing supplies. It seems to extend a little past Nex's door, but she's not seeing another exit. The other room, next to the teleportation circle... is pitch black. Koma squints, trying to make out whatever might lie within, but eventually shrugs. It seems this room is too dark for even a goblin.
    "Maybe there's a key left behind with the guard post?" Ellie suggests. She pushes the door all the way open and carefully steps inside, weapon in hand. She checks the desk for drawers. Specifically looking for keys or maybe a map? Something that might hint at the other rooms or the layout?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #159
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Yes, Master Zalenko. I promise I will do my best to not get killed", Belginabo smiles. "And... Thank you. I was wondering if I was in over my head with these great bigwigs who didn't seem to like me much. Also... Thanks for this." He eyes the light of the green rune. He's got no real idea of its power, but he surely appreciates the gift!

After he bids goodbye to Zalenko, he goes to talk to the woman from Jalmeray. She looks very respectable, but she hasn't seemed impressed by him so far. No matter, she accepted to join him, and he's going to need all the help he can get.

"My lady, I thank you for accepting to join me on this quest. I shall endeavor to do my best, so together we can rescue these unfortunate people. Before we go, however, I need to make a few preparations, gather equipment, and above all, inform the poor girl's parents of what happened to their daughter. With your leave, I'll come back to see you... Er... In fact, what would be a convenient point to meet?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Belginabo needs a couple of hours, I think. First, he needs to locate Peridora's home. Then, pick up his gear. And on the way, he wants to talk to Okoro, and maybe entice the mannequin to join the team, or, at the very least, make sure he can find it again when he's back.

10. - Top - End - #160

Adria nods at Zarra. "I'm not being defeatist. We'll make it out of here. Just... when dealing with undead, you always have to plan for the worst. I know this from... from experience. But lead on... I don't have the best sense of direction, so I'm trusting you here."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Zarrachia

Zarra sighs. "We may be in trouble then. I'm a city halfling. I'm afraid all these caves look alike to me."

Spoiler
    Show

Survival: (1d20+1)[6]
    Survival: (1d20+1)[7]

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Adria & Zarrachia
    Turning around, Zarrachia starts to get an uncomfortable feeling of uncertainty. The path they'd taken here was as direct as she could manage, but looking back she couldn't tell exactly where the tunnel back'd split. She can take a guess, but if she's wrong, they might end up heading deeper yet.

Ellie
    There's nothing obviously revelatory in the guard chamber, no key or anything too apparently helpful. There's a set of large cabinets set against the walls, though those appear to be empty. At least there's a comfortable chair, and a desk, set before what appears to be a window? It takes Ellie a second to realize that's what the black patch that takes up most of the wall is, but yes, it seems to show the room on the other side of the Nex door. Squinting, it seems to be a small rectangular chamber that runs level with the guardroom, with a second door directly across from the one in the hallway they'd seen. It must rest right against the edge of the guardroom - presumably this marks the area's external wall?

Some kind of apparatus rests beside the desk on a pedestal, bolted firmly to the stone. It looks like an orrery - a series of globes, held together with silver, set to rotate around a central point. It sparkles in the light of the blue lamps on the wall

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Zarrachia

"A halfling is never lost, because she always knows where she stands. The path, however, tends to wander," Zarrachia sighs.

"Right. I'm turned around," Zarra turns towards Nihnin and Peridora. "Did either of you catch which tunnel mouth we came out of?"

14. - Top - End - #164

There's nothing obviously revelatory in the guard chamber, no key or anything too apparently helpful. There's a set of large cabinets set against the walls, though those appear to be empty. At least there's a comfortable chair, and a desk, set before what appears to be a window? It takes Ellie a second to realize that's what the black patch that takes up most of the wall is, but yes, it seems to show the room on the other side of the Nex door. Squinting, it seems to be a small rectangular chamber that runs level with the guardroom, with a second door directly across from the one in the hallway they'd seen. It must rest right against the edge of the guardroom - presumably this marks the area's external wall?

Some kind of apparatus rests beside the desk on a pedestal, bolted firmly to the stone. It looks like an orrery - a series of globes, held together with silver, set to rotate around a central point. It sparkles in the light of the blue lamps on the wall
    Ellie taps the 'window' to get an idea of how sturdy it is. "Seems to be another door in there... maybe the exit? We have to figure out how to open up the door on our side though..." She plays with the orrery a bit, pondering if this object represents something? Usually they do; the multi-planes, stars, stuff like that... but this one is bolts to the desk. That is what has her curious. It isn't just decoration.

'Mess with this object' roll: (1d20)[5]

"Hey Koma, do you know anything about the history of Nex and Geb? Since Next or his followers must have built this place, I wonder if something in their history would help us figure out what this place was for. I remember Nex and Geb had fought each other in a long war many many years back. Hmm, could this be like... a war bunker?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Zarrachia & Peridora
    "That one." "There!"

The two point - to opposite tunnels. They glance at each other. Nihnin sighs, while Peridora blushes. "Sorry. Not sure." "The ghouls were really scary..."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Zarrachia

Zarra blew out her cheeks. "Nothing for it."

She made another mark on the wall with an arrow pointing towards a random tunnel. "We go this way, and we take better notes this time."

17. - Top - End - #167

Adria nods. "Sorry I can't be of more use... does anyone know any uplifting stories? We don't want to let our spirits drop."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Sachni & Belginabo
    The Grand Alchemist nods to Sachni with a smile, before turning his attention to the pit. Workers are starting to begin reconstruction on the scaffolding, looking to bring the Pit back into operation. Oenopion can not afford to leave it idle for long.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just to confirm, you guys are free to interact if you want. I'll throw out an update for Bel going on his visit later, I don't see RP between you guys affecting that..

Zarrachia & Adria
    The goblin takes a second to consider the matter, before sighing. "Nihnin raider. Not storyteller."

Peridora furrows her brow, considering the question. "I know a few stories. But most of them don't have happy endings. They're more about what not to do - all the things people do wrong so they wind up in situations like this." The girl snorts, their current situation would make a fine cautionary tale. After the silence continues however, she speaks again. "I've got one though."

She doesn't seem enthusiastic, but with the only alternative being silence, Peridora continues talking in a low voice as the group proceed onward.

"Far to the north, in Avistan, there's a city called Korvosa. And a few years back, the city was in trouble. The old king died, and the queen who took the throne, Illona, was everything you can think of in a tyrant. She spread a plague called Blood Veil amongst her own people to justify taking greater control of the city, quarenteening her opponents in the diseased old quarter. She had these cruel lady knights called the Grey Maidens work for her, killing anyone who tried to argue. And she tried to sacrifice most of the city in a magical ritual to grant herself immortality."

There's silence. Peridora is starting to realize that this doesn't qualify as a 'happy story' by most definitions of the term. She breaks the quiet nervously. "But it worked out! A group of adventurers slew the queen, and saved the city. So... even when things look really, really bad, they can still have a happy ending?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay, you're back into exploration mode. Still using searching as your action?

Ellie
    The theory draws a hum from the goblin leader. "Maybe. This place old enough. But Koma think this too small. That look like door out. Beds just enough for ten guards. Only five rooms. If you build fancy magic place to keep safe, why not make bigger? Hide more soldiers, supplies, so you can jump out and attack later."

Perhaps Koma's thinking has her distracted. But Ellie aligns the orrery into a configuration that seems to register. The device clicks, as if she's figured something out.

And the floor gives out below her, as though she'd been standing on a tablecloth that someone pulled away, leaving the unfortunate alchemist plummeting downwards towards a now revealed pit. She just has time to grab a small hold in the wall, right beneath the trapdoor, planting her feet against the wall for stability. It seems to be there to hold pipes - four small open valves ring this little portion of the subchamber. Looking down, Ellie can see a hard stone floor beneath quite a distance beneath her. That would have been quite the fall.

"Ellie!" Koma cries, trying to reach down to help her up. Before he can do so however, the trapdoor slides back into place with a grim thud, cutting her off from both Koma and the light. In the darkness, Ellie hears a hiss of water starts to pour from the four pipes, down towards the bottom of the pit.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is Encounter Mode now! You can clog/shut off the water spouts with a DC 18 Thievery check for each, get the trapdoor open at a DC22, and you've got 3 actions as per usual. Every round the water spouts will continue pouring until they fill the pit. It's 5ft of water per spout per turn, and the pit's about 40ft deep. When it fills, the drowning rules kick in

Since this is a bit harsh, I'll forgo initiative and let you go first. Good luck!

19. - Top - End - #169

"Ellie!" Koma cries, trying to reach down to help her up. Before he can do so however, the trapdoor slides back into place with a grim thud, cutting her off from both Koma and the light. In the darkness, Ellie hears a hiss of water starts to pour from the four pipes, down towards the bottom of the pit.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is Encounter Mode now! You can clog/shut off the water spouts with a DC 18 Thievery check for each, get the trapdoor open at a DC22, and you've got 3 actions as per usual. Every round the water spouts will continue pouring until they fill the pit. It's 5ft of water per spout per turn, and the pit's about 40ft deep. When it fills, the drowning rules kick in

Since this is a bit harsh, I'll forgo initiative and let you go first. Good luck!
    "I HATE THIS PLACE!!" Ellie shouts. Okay, calm down girl. You gotta figure out this thing. Try to get that door open before you drown. Ugh, whoever built this place is Evil!

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Two Interact (Thievery) attempts on the door. If they fail, one attempt on a water spout.

Door: (1d20+6)[20]
    Door: (1d20+6)[20]
    Spout: (1d20+6)[11]
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Spoiler: Belginabo
    Show
    It takes Belginabo some time to find the house he's looking for. The name Peridora doesn't elicit much of a reaction from most of the folk he passes by. Following the trail of the escaping apes however finally leads him to one inhabitant who recognizes the description of the girl, and gestures Bel towards an upscale town house

A swift rap on the door produces an inhabitant in short order. A man wearing green robes and a featureless white mask stands before him. "Hel-lo?" The masked man stares down at Belginabo confused. "Who're you?"

Ellie
    The young alchemist is quick and bold. Before the water's made it even half way up the pit, she's taken the bolt from her belt and used it to wear away at the metal prongs holding the slab upright. It's harsh work, first one bolt giving out, then the second, but she manages it! The trapdoor falls into the growing pool with a sploosh as light returns to the subchamber.

"Ellie!" Koma helps her up, before glancing at the fate she'd almost encountered. He frowns. "That sneaky. Koma start to think Goblins help build this place."

Show
    Yeah, I'm not gonna trigger a second trap on the thing and you do kinda need it to get out of here. So a little more advancement.

The sphere array still standing there. A little more experimentation is able to produce more positive results - Ellie can control the doors by bringing the spheres into alignment. One pattern opens Nex's door, another opens the exterior. This is it! This is their way out!

Except, as soon as she changes the orrery alignment, the opened door closes. This was designed to be used by guardsmen, with the small bunker still inhabited. The only way to get someone out this way would be for... one of them to wait behind. Unless she's missed something.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Sachni looked down (and down) at the enthusiastic gnome. So he would be her partner? He was rather different from her usual companions. Sachni decided to be optimistic. This could prove an educational, enriching experience. She replied with a disciplined, but friendly tone. Let's start this relationship off the right foot.

"I look forward to working with you. As for a meeting place, we can reunite here. It seems like this is where we'll need to be."

She then left to retrieve her equipment. She also wanted to check on the Jalmeray delegation. From the sounds of it, they were probably fine. The goblins were apparently just thieves. But Sachni wanted to be sure. Besides, her comrades deserved to be kept in the loop.

22. - Top - End - #172

"You know, Koma, with as sneaky as this trap is, I'd put my money on goblins too." She shakes a bit of water off her. She's not soaked, but the spray of the trap's piping system did give her a good spritz. Great. All that's left is to get zapped buy some other trap.

...okay, no one better have heard that thought.

"Hmm, this could let us out, but... someone has to hold it in place like this or the door closes." Ellie ponders the situation. Koma or Ellie? Well given recent events, the goblin might stand a better chance. "Koma? You have to go find your goblin group out there. I'll let you out and then you come back with help? I doubt anyone knows this place is here, but if you get up there, at least then I know there's a chance."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Sachni
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Jalmeray delegation, huh? I'd been envisioning Sachni as essentially here alone. I'll try and get a post up with her checking in with someone ASAP, but I'll need some time to improvise and to check up on the Vudrani a bit. Apologies.

Ellie
    Koma shakes his head, waving a hand towards the shrouded exterior door. "Dunno how safe outside is. Go alone, die, you stuck here and no one know. No way."

Frowning, the little goblin turns back towards the orrery. "This open one door. What about if other room have another one? We open both doors, go together!"

Show
    Yeah, it's not that someone needs to hold the thing, it's that it can't do 'open door one' and 'open door two' at once. If you can find a second orrery you can indeed get out together.

24. - Top - End - #174

Show
    Yeah, it's not that someone needs to hold the thing, it's that it can't do 'open door one' and 'open door two' at once. If you can find a second orrery you can indeed get out together.
    Ooooh.

Ellie accepted Koma's argument. It was logical--the city guards could capture Koma and they may not believe him. Ellie had no way to write him a note as proof of this place.

"Alright then, let's check that dark room. This portable light will hopefully help in there." Ellie leads to the dark room behind the other door and opens it further. She holds the light out ahead of her.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Zarrachia

Spoiler
    Show

Yes, keep Searching. FWIW, remember that Zarra has low-light vision, trap sense (+1 to find traps) and keen eyes (+2 to spot hidden creatures)

Zarra cleared her throat. Well, if it's stories you want ... my mother is a bard. I'm afraid I can't carry a tune in a haversack, but I can remember most of the ballads... of course, they all have to do with halflings ...

Deep breath. "Once upon a time, before the Rain of Stars split the world asunder, the hin - as halfling referred to themselves - all lived together in one country ...

... some indeterminate amount of time later ...

"... and so Shuri Coppertoes thrust her hand into the crucible of Black Flame and everyone in the hall screamed, expecting to see the hin die in frozen agony. Instead, Shuri pulled out her arm, completely unharmed, and thurst her fist into the air, "This is the strength of the hin! This will be what defeats the dwarves!" And all the witnesses cheered and rallied around the banner of Coberham Shadowglint ..."

... still later ...

" ... and so, with the aid of the elves, the dwarvish king Loktal Ironshield was forced back from the river Narr, and back, and back until his armies stood in the mountains of Highforge. And there they remained until the Rain of Stars. Shuri Coppertoes lived on, and married the brave hin Brot Stoutshield who had nearly lost his life to the dwarven throwing hammers when defending her. They took the family name from the battlefield where they met, and started the Narr family, which made their grandson Nob Narr, but *cough* that's another story. And a tragedy, so not today I'm thinking.

Spoiler
    Show

Performance, just because: (1d20+6)[16]

26. - Top - End - #176

Adria smiles as the storytelling takes hold. She manages to let herself get distracted by the stories, away from the looming danger. She's not sure how best to help in these tunnels- she lacks much in the way of practical tools. She keeps her elven eyes effective, looming in the limited light granted by the goddess' glamour.

Show
    Perception- (1d20+7)[18]

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Adria & Zarrachia
    Peridora listens to Zarrachia enraptured. Nihnin is clearly paying far less attention, her focus on the caverns surrounding them, but Adria catches the goblin woman smile at the description of Coppertoes surviving the fire. Even the Cindersnout rogue isn't just a defender of her tribe. The group's mood overall has perked up markably by the time they reach their next obstacle.

A portcullis.

Far more mundane than ghouls. It's old, rusted dull orange with the thin moisture of the pits, but a shove reveals it as still surprisingly sturdy. There's a thin gap to either side of it - barely enough for most of the smaller members of the party to get through, and perhaps too much for Adria outright. On the other side though, there appears to be a winch to lower the old gate. This passage seems passable yet.

That said, something seems odd about this.

Ellie
    In the end, the lantern seems to have been unnecessary. After a few hesitant steps the room flickers to light

An almost blinding light.

When Ellie opens her eyes, she can't help shake the impression she's stepped into some kind of wonderland. The room is crammed full of devices of various kinds, some similar to the orrery she'd used to control the exterior doors, others stranger still, all set upon a cluster of desks around a central point. Astrolabes set into the walls, gears that spin of their own accord as she walks past them. Runes flare to life, freestanding in the air, but using tongues Ellie can't recognize at a glance. Angelic, demonic, something stranger yet perhaps. This is evidently the heart of this little building. Just standing here, Ellie can feel the thrum of magic washing over her. The devices and enchantments here are far, far beyond anything she's ever seen used. Only an experienced, well trained mage would be able to make sense of most of this. Once upon a time, it would've taken a team of highly talented arcanists to operate.

Koma whistles. The little goblin's attention is swiftly drawn to the centre of the room, which houses a hefty looking crystal device - a slab of shining stone, with some kind of light display projected above it. Before Ellie can move to join him however, she spots something out of the corner of her eye that Koma missed.

It's the wand. The same one she'd used, black wood, simple design. Just lying there, inconspicuously, in a wall mounted rack off to the side. Multiple notches suggest that it once held duplicates of the device, but now only the one they'd used remains.

Spoiler
    Show
    The gods are watching, Ellie. What do you do?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

"Who puts a portcullis in a cave?

Spoiler
    Show

The rogue is checking for traps: (1d20+7)[24]

29. - Top - End - #179

Ellie took a few steps toward the wand. "Koma, I found it! The wand! It's right here on the..."

She had reached out, but her hand stopped short. There was something in the back of her mind that told her this felt wrong. It was too easy to just grab the wand. That made it wrong.

"Wait, this seems to easy. We were fighting for this wand when we both ended up in that room there on the dias, but the wand... the wand was put back where it belongs. We don't belong here. The guardian, the trap, this place was made to prevent looters."

Ellie stepped away from the wand. She looked around and set her eyes on that central stone with the light projection over it.

"Maybe, this is the room's controls? Let's see if we can interact with it." Ellie reaches up to touch the light and see if it reacts to her?
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-10-21 at 12:53 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180

"Eerie..." Adria, for her part, casts Detect Magic, in case there's something hidden here.