Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 508
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Sachni looked down (and down) at the enthusiastic gnome. So he would be her partner? He was rather different from her usual companions. Sachni decided to be optimistic. This could prove an educational, enriching experience. She replied with a disciplined, but friendly tone. Let's start this relationship off the right foot.

    "I look forward to working with you. As for a meeting place, we can reunite here. It seems like this is where we'll need to be."

    She then left to retrieve her equipment.
    "All right, it's agreed! Looking forward to adventuring with you too!" The gnome runs away, in a hurry to get his errands done. Belginabo doubts the Vuldrani woman is anything more than lukewarm about teaming up with him, but she's polite about it at least, so he figures he might as well return the favor.

    First things, first: He goes to find the big porcelain man, hopefully still here among the onlookers.

    "Okoro! Did you hear? I got tasked with retrieving those people who fell!" He pauses, looks at his strange friend from ceramic head to earthenware toe. "Listen, I'll be honest - I'd love you to come with me. I think you can help a lot and I worry about what's going to happen to you in this big city. But the truth is this expedition in the depths of the earth is going to be dangerous. Exciting, but risky! I don't want anything to happen to you so it's really your decision. Do you want to join me? I won't be offended if you don't I promise. Instead you can go stay with Master Zalenko I think he is a decent man and he knows about magical things like you. What do you say?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless Okoro has other ideas, Belginabo will take it to Zalenko's shop first. Belginabo will retrieve his equipment for the exploration (adventurer's pack and especially, rope). If Okoro wishes to stay, Belginabo will leave it with Zalenko, otherwise they'll go on together.


    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    It takes Belginabo some time to find the house he's looking for. The name Peridora doesn't elicit much of a reaction from most of the folk he passes by. Following the trail of the escaping apes however finally leads him to one inhabitant who recognizes the description of the girl, and gestures Bel towards an upscale town house

    A swift rap on the door produces an inhabitant in short order. A man wearing green robes and a featureless white mask stands before him. "Hel-lo?" The masked man stares down at Belginabo confused. "Who're you?"
    "Good afternoon... Sir?" Belginabo is briefly taken aback by the man's strange appearance, but he quickly recovers. "I have a message for Peridora's parents. Are you her father?"
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Keshkaru in Extinction Curse | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Adria & Zarrachia
    The gate does not seem trapped. Frankly with how rusted it looks, even if there had been traps set here, Zarra wouldn't be surprised to find they'd rusted into uselessness too. No, it seems to all intents and purposes to be an ordinary, solid gate, although...

    That's odd. That's very odd. Looking closely at the gate, Zarrachia spots a slight abnormality. The rust has pealed away around the centre of the gate, strips of corrosion pulled slightly from the grate in a rough circular pattern. It could've simply been the wind, she's seen markings like this above ground after a strong storm... but there's no similar pattern on the rest of the portcullis. And those sorts of conditions shouldn't exist this far below ground.

    Still, Adria can't feel any magic emanating from the vicinity so it's as safe as you could want. Zarra's just had time to take stock of this information, when the party hears something. A sound, faint at first, but growing louder until it all but reverberates through the cavern, as dust and debris start to fall from the ceiling.

    "WAAAAAAAAAGGH!!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Roll initiative please. We are... not quite in Encounter Mode, but close enough that I feel obligated to track actions carefully. Your dungeon master cordially advises withdrawal as a tactically preferable option at this time. Getting past the portcullis without lifting it will be a DC15 Acrobatics check to squeeze, and will take a minute to perform. There are only two exits from this cavern - one blocked by the portcullis, the other is in the direction of the scream.
    (1d20+5)[15] Nihnin
    (1d20+2)[10] Peridora
    (1d20+9)[12] ???

    Belginabo
    It takes Belginabo a while to find Okoro. The doll has wandered back towards the guildhall, studying the rubble and wreckage as it goes.

    "I.." For the first time, Belginabo feels he has truly stumped his mechanical friend. It takes Okoro a few seconds to finally formulate an answer, and when it does, the doll's head looks down towards the street. "It has been many years since I fought in battle. I believe I would be more hindrance than help to you at this point."

    Despite Okoro's ever neutral voice, Bel can tell this statement is made reluctantly. Despite having been offered every opportunity to sit out the battle, having to do so rankles with the old construct. There's a hiss as the doll vents gasses in what sounds like a sigh. "One day, Belginabo, I hope we can stand together and I can truly repay you for helping repair this old frame. But I do not think today is that day." All the same, the doll places a hand on Belginabo's shoulder, fixing him with an oddly kind if unblinking gaze. "Stay safe. Fight well. And if you fall, may the Lady of Graves look kindly on your soul."



    "I don't have to tell you that!"

    The masked stranger occupying Peridora's house snaps at Belginabo's question, seemingly almost instinctively. A second later however, Bel can see the figure's shoulders slump a little. It at least seems to recognize the name. His new friend runs a hand across the design on the large leather bound tome it carries, before turning to study Bel with its head tilted. Belginabo can't shake the feeling that this person is fully capable of seeing him, even through a mask lacking eyeholes. "Is she dead?"

    Sachni
    Ikshwaku Suresh of the atanaprattas is perhaps not the greatest credit to his ancestors. He looks the part - young, strong, with an excited twinkle in his eye, but there's something lacking about his enthusiasm for the job. The Thakur must surely have had his reasons for sending him here to Oenopion, and making him the kingdom's representative within the city, but he's yet to provide much useful advice or order to his new subordinate. He's mostly been focused on meetings of his own with various local officials, leaving Sachni free to represent the isles as she chooses.

    He's in the middle of such a session when Sachni arrives to see him, the bushy bearded ambassador reclining on a couch in the guildhall with a somberly dressed man in black she doesn't know. Suresh looks up as she entered, smiling heartily. "Ah. Sachni! Someone told me you... that you were responsible for the explosion in the Guild Hall." She can smell the Mahua on his breath at a dozen paces, even if the bottles weren't lying right there on the table between the two men. The ambassador takes no notice, focusing on trying to recall the story. "Said the goddess Suyuddha herself appeared before you, to take you into her realm, an... that made the Guild Hall explode somehow? I guess that didn't happen?"

    Perhaps the Thakur gave Suresh this assignment as a way to get rid of the drunken sot in as polite a manner as possible. Gods, it's only barely past midday. The pale man sitting across from her looks disdainfully at the Vudrani ambassador, but sighs, not seeming to have the will to reprimand him. He looks longingly at the bottles on the table, but does not pour a glass for himself, simply sitting back and studying this new arrival.

    Ellie
    Koma looks at the wand longingly, "Place is dangerous. But... but need wand." Eventually he turns to join Ellie, muttering. "Find way out first. Then Koma take wand. This place jerk: Koma not care we steal from from you, jerk place!"

    Placing her hand to the crystal table was exactly what was needed. At that simple gesture, the strange flickering lights resolve themselves into a crystal clear image of... erm... something. Ellie squints, trying to work out what the table is trying to show her. It looks almost like a tree, but one with roots growing far beyond the base of the trunk, rising up above where the earth would be. And it's more the outline of a tree - within the image, small markings flash and glow. Most of them depict runes that are strange to her, not even the Ancient Osiriani of the note. But there's a few that ring a bell.

    Then Ellie gets it. Terran! The glyphs she knows here are Terran. The image's notations are written in all four of the classical elemental tongues, under the assumption that anyone operating this thing who didn't speak the language of every elemental court probably wasn't qualified to do so. That would rule Ellie out, but... well, needs must.

    Studying the image, Ellie starts to make some real headway. There's markers of ground level for a start. That probably means this thing is some kind of map - starting below surface level, and going deeper down yet if she's reading this right. She glances around - most of the remaining glyphs she knows seem to denote stable and unstable tunnels, useful information to a miner but not so much for her. One sigil is glowing - it's in Auran, but she remembers 'here' in the wind tongue, that must mark their location!

    There's one more that she can make out. Towards the bottom of the map, close to their current location, is a single large Terran glyph, perhaps the focal point of this whole display.

    Sanctuary

    And beneath it, in bright red bolded Ancient Osiriani

    COMPROMISED
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-10-21 at 05:43 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Upstate NY

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Zarra, falling back on those halfling instincts, tries to put some bars between her and the noise.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Perception/Init.: (1d20+6)[15]
    Acrobatics: (1d20+4)[21]

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ellie
    Koma looks at the wand longingly, "Place is dangerous. But... but need wand." Eventually he turns to join Ellie, muttering. "Find way out first. Then Koma take wand. This place jerk: Koma not care we steal from from you, jerk place!"

    Placing her hand to the crystal table was exactly what was needed. At that simple gesture, the strange flickering lights resolve themselves into a crystal clear image of... erm... something. Ellie squints, trying to work out what the table is trying to show her. It looks almost like a tree, but one with roots growing far beyond the base of the trunk, rising up above where the earth would be. And it's more the outline of a tree - within the image, small markings flash and glow. Most of them depict runes that are strange to her, not even the Ancient Osiriani of the note. But there's a few that ring a bell.

    Then Ellie gets it. Terran! The glyphs she knows here are Terran. The image's notations are written in all four of the classical elemental tongues, under the assumption that anyone operating this thing who didn't speak the language of every elemental court probably wasn't qualified to do so. That would rule Ellie out, but... well, needs must.

    Studying the image, Ellie starts to make some real headway. There's markers of ground level for a start. That probably means this thing is some kind of map - starting below surface level, and going deeper down yet if she's reading this right. She glances around - most of the remaining glyphs she knows seem to denote stable and unstable tunnels, useful information to a miner but not so much for her. One sigil is glowing - it's in Auran, but she remembers 'here' in the wind tongue, that must mark their location!

    There's one more that she can make out. Towards the bottom of the map, close to their current location, is a single large Terran glyph, perhaps the focal point of this whole display.

    Sanctuary

    And beneath it, in bright red bolded Ancient Osiriani

    COMPROMISED
    "Jerk place indeed," Ellie whispers in agreement. Now, as she understands what she is looking at, her eyes get wider and for the second time down here she cracks a little smile.

    "This is a map, Koma. A map of... all the tunnels down here. Dozens and dozens of tunnels." Ellie points out parts she can make out. "See, we are here. Near us is something called Sanctuary. This says it has been compromised, but I don't know if it means us since we've triggered the guardian trap or if there's something else down here that broke in there. Seems important though, let's see if I can find a path there." Ellie tries to interact with the large Terran glyph that is being focused on.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-10-21 at 06:14 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    It took Raka, still soothing the gorilla, a few seconds to realize she was being addressed, and a few more to comprehend what he was saying. "Oh, Of course. Does he have a name?" Of course he had an owner. It wasn't like gorillas were native to the cities. And the gorilla was certainly better off with someone who could care for him than someone with less than two gold pieces to her name. Still...

    "Do you rent gorillas? Or let people ride them?" Raka felt increasingly ridiculous. She only barely knew how to ride a normal animal, much less a gorilla. But however short their time was, Raka couldn't help but feel a connection to this beast. "This one was pretty steady though the flight, from what I could see. Really nice."
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Times like this tested Sachni's faith. She believed in the wisdom of her superiors. Suresh was the duly appointed ambassador. Therefore, he deserved her respect...somehow. She tried not to breathe in the fumes from Suresh's 'lunch'. There was a style of martial arts that relied on being intoxicated. Maybe Suresh knew the diplomatic equivalent of that?

    "Um, that's not exactly right, sir. The image of Suyuddha was just a festival attraction. The explosion was caused by goblin thieves. They raided the guildhall using fireworks, and trained apes. I managed to apprehend one of the culprits. Now the Grand Alchemist has requested my aid. With your permission, I shall help him to investigate the aftermath of this raid."

    Her eyes occasionally strayed to the darkly clad guest. But protocol demanded that she restrain her curiosity.

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    "I understand." Belginabo looks into Okoro's eyes. "Well really I don't but you know what I mean hopefully maybe one day I will."

    "Anyway I'm sure I hope we'll meet again. There's so much I want to ask you no time that's really sad but I have to go rescue Lady Adria and Peridora. Please stay safe!"

    He begins to back away and take his leave, but stops suddenly. "Oh I really have to ask you at least this one. What are you I mean are you a he a she or something else?"

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    This masked person is really strange, not quite scary, but definitely not pleasant either. Belginabo decides he owes it to Adria to insist.

    "Sir or Madam no you don't have to tell me but if you are her parent I believe you need to know. She's NOT dead."
    This sounds just a little bit strident, as if it's something he wants to be, rather than something he knows. "But she's in danger. She's in the Pit of Oozes. Not alone she's with Lady Adria a great nice and capable person. But still a very dangerous place."

    He takes as tall a pose as he can, trying to convey a confidence he doesn't feel that strongly.

    "I have accepted an official mission to go rescue them. And I will. That's what I wanted you to know."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy, in case it helps (1d20+6)[7] - EDIT - corrected to a 13 thanks to the use of a Hero Point.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-10-22 at 09:15 AM.
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Keshkaru in Extinction Curse | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Raka
    The goblin's inquiry makes Kato purse his lips. It's obvious before he speaks the answer will be no, but he's at least trying to be polite about it. "Unfortunately, no on both counts. The apes have an extant buyer who will name them, and after today I wouldn't for a second risk..."

    "Are you truly so intent on dismissing one who helped you, Kato?"

    The voice is familiar. Looking up, Raka sees.... a man in an eagle mask? It takes her a second to work it out, but the leathers, the blade, the build - it's the old man from the alleyway!

    Kato bows low to the stranger as soon as he sees him, shuddering at the sight of this man. "Forgive me, sir! I... it was..." A wave of Eagle's hand is enough to dismiss this. The old man steps forward, kneeling down to meet Raka's eye level. "So little one. You have my thanks." He chuckles, gesturing behind the goblin warrior. "Why do you wish to buy this ape from Kato? You enjoyed your ride upon it that much?"

    Sachni
    "I told ya that. I saw the whole thing. But does 'e believe me? Naaah..." The stranger mutters. Suresh either doesn't hear, or pays no mind to the breach of etiquette, instead staring up at the monk in fascination.

    "Well, it sounds like you've had... quite a day. And now you're going off to do... more work?" He looks wide eyed at this prospect. There's a strange tone to his voice, something between admiration and, perhaps Sachni likes to hope, a touch of personal guilt. He takes a third glass from the table, starting to pour a drink for "You should join us. Have a drink before you go. Take the edge off. You're outside the monastery now, I won't tell if you won't."

    He chuckles. Sighing, the pale man in black turns to Sachni, his focus thankfully not on her superior's obvious misconduct. "Was there any sign of a gal in a blue dress with the goblins? Short green hair? About yer age?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Anyr, he's describing Ellie. Your call if Sachni spotted her or not.

    Ellie
    Her touch is enough to manipulate the display, given a little experimentation it's easy enough for Ellie to refocus the display on Sanctuary. Small runes flit into existence beneath the designation
    Exterior - SECURE
    Substructure - SECURE
    Seal - SECURE
    Gate - SECURE


    The rest of the sub options are listed in the other elemental languages. Only a few of them are lit in that same red shade, and they're written in Aquan. Whatever is wrong is linked to water? At least in the way that a gate is linked to earth.

    Still, at least Sanctuary itself seems to be intact. She's not seeing any little signs that suggest danger, like a skull or anything. It's...

    Intact. A massive important ruin from the founding of the kingdom, undiscovered under Oenopion is largely intact.

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    "Well, I'm not seeing any obvious dangers like another group down here. Might just be us, my friend."

    This is going to be the find of the year! Ellie refocuses. She moves the map to the room they are in. She wants to see if there is another door control orrery or something so that the two can get out of here. With the wand of course.

    "Alright, trying to make sense of the language here. Looking for an exit and if we can take the wand with us when we do."
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-10-22 at 08:53 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Suresh seemed genuinely shocked by the concept of hard work. He wouldn't have lasted a month in the monastery. But that was...fine. Different castes had different methods. No sooner had Sachni rationalised this flaw in her superior, when Suresh sent another at her. He wanted her to drink alcohol?! Sachni recoiled from the offered glass, as if from a snake. This had to be a test. Suresh was making sure that her discipline was strong.

    "Sir, my body is a temple! I'm strictly forbidden to defile it."

    It wasn't as if monks were joyless. They knew how to have fun. Sachni had shared many a laugh with her warrior sisters. She could be devout and happy at the same time. The darkly clad guest was gracious enough to ignore Suresh's antics. He asked a question which furrowed Sachni's brow. She cast her mind back.

    "A blue...Yes! I did catch a glimpse of someone in blue. They were riding one of the apes. I'm not sure of any other details, though. It was a frantic chase."

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Ellie
    The map isn't that precise, as a few quick attempts to focus on 'here' indicates. Ellie finds a jumble of additional statuses, with far more red than Sanctuary held, and few in Terran. Strange that 'here' isn't considered compromised, when it looks like several things here are not working right.

    "Think we gotta just work out which thing in room is door thing." Koma sighs - the lights would've made it so much easeri. Still, they've a job to do. He walks over to the entryway. "Koma watch door. You try find door control. Koma call when door come down."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll let you pick this check. What skill justifies Ellie being able to figure out where Door Control is?

    Sachni
    "It's not like one lousy glass will kill you, or the gods'll strike you down for it. Just trying to help you, Sash." Suresh does not look pleased at Sachni's refusal. Rising slowly to his feet, the ambassador plods slowly out of the room with a scowl on his face. "Hopeless! Monks are always hopeless."

    The strange man in black sighs at Suresh's withdrawal, but he doesn't seem angered by it. Instead he gives the monk a grateful smile. "Thanks, kid. Good luck with whatever yer doing fer the Grand Alchemist." The smile reveals some rather sharply pointed teeth. Still, the whatever-he-was seems friendly, rising to his feet. "You need anything 'fore ya go? Might not be the right ambassader, but I'm happy to help. 'd be nice to feel like I was doin something to chip in other than just wait here fer my carriage."

    Belginabo
    "A mission? Into the darkness? To save the girl?"

    The figure seems... intensely excited at Belginabo's explanation. It hadn't considered this possibility. It starts muttering to itself, "You need a blessing for something like that. Knowledge of magic, secrets and power, yes yes yes. To know what secrets are, you must first learn of secrets. Secrets to find secrets. To find that which others would forget. A Riddler's job is to bless those like you, Belginabo of Jalmeray: questioners, the explorers, the curious and the mad..."

    It chants something low, in a tongue Bel doesn't recognize. The book reacts to it however. The sigil on the front cover glows green, and portions of it seem to writhe as Belginabo looks at them. The magician holds it out, studying the likely mystified gnome closely. "Will you accept this gift?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Refusing politely will require a pretty good Diplomacy check. As will changing the subject.
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-10-22 at 09:53 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Magic! Right before his eyes, a spell of power! A magical book! Certainly packed with incredible knowledge... The gift comes in a really strange fashion, and from a stranger benefactor, though.

    "I most gratefully will Sir or Madam. If you could please first explain to me what it is for how I should use it any precautions I should take to keep it in good condition?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    In case of need, Diplomacy (1d20+6)[17]
    Alos, what's a Riddler? Let's see if he remembers something on that - Recall Knowledge, I guess Society? (1d20+4)[18]
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Keshkaru in Extinction Curse | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    "Alright, Koma. I'll try not to take too long." Ellie steps down and wanders the room in search of something that should manipulate the doors. Would it be another orrery? Maybe something else more befitting this room's status? Well, at least this isn't some hall of a gnome king and she has three guesses, shouting 'Oz' on a random object.

    She considers looking for something that would be bolted down to it's shelf or table. That would make sense. You couldn't just walk out with a door knob after turning it...

    (would Engineering lore work? As in, maybe Ellie recognizing the architecture design of the doors and where the controls would physically be if they're not magic controls? (1d20+7)[17])
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Oh dear. Sachni had angered her superior. And yet, she didn't feel as if she'd strayed. The faintest trace of indignation bubbled within her. Monks weren't 'hopeless'! Perhaps she should report Suresh to his own superiors. He might be in need of remedial lessons.

    The other ambassador was much more pleasant. Sachni returned his smile. Why couldn't she have a boss like this?

    "Your offer is appreciated, sir. I think I have everything I need. While scouting, I'll watch for the woman you mentioned."

    After the meeting, Sachni would go to her room. She'd stashed a variety of supplies there. Because unlike a certain someone, she took her job seriously!

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Sachni
    "Thanks kid. If you see Zabby, tell her... tell her Karja Masari sends his best."

    The pale man turns, leaving the room with Sachni. He offers her his hand before she turns away. "Stay safe down there, alright?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't have more planned, I'm afraid. But Belginabo's scene shouldn't run much longer. If you've got any more interractions you'd like to see, feel free to note them!


    Belginabo
    The Riddler chuckles, with the indulgent air of a parent. "No price. No expectation. No need to explain. Take it. Then you'll know the gift of knowledge."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Belginabo's heard the name 'The Riddlers' before since he came to Nex, but he doesn't know much. They're a society of wizards who are influential within the kingdom, and apparently quite powerful. He's never met one before though. The one common thing he's heard is that Riddlers have a paradoxical relationship with questions - liking to pose them and encouraging curiosity in those around them, but disliking having to share or give information. They believe that knowledge should be uncovered, but guard their personal secrets well. The idea of becoming one's apprentice was laughed at when he brought it up - they don't take students, preferring to spread their creed across fellow experienced mages. The only time you'd find a 'young Riddler' is with the child of an older one.

    ( Good roll, but I put some limits here since Bel's from Jalmeray, and these guys are Nex specific.)


    Ellie
    These devices might be magical in origin, but Ellie's logical mind pares that down to usability. If there is a door control in here, it likely would be so that the area could be evacuated if need be. Thus it should be accessible. The orreries here may look the same as the other device, but they're separated by the arrangement of desks, and are hard to reach. Ellie would bet they control functions of this room - likely related to the table. If she wants to release the door, it needs to be one of the astrolabes mounted on the walls - simpler, easier to reach and manipulate quickly. While a different device, she can match the pattern she used in the guardhouse on the flat circles of the simpler machine, and this leaves her just a few options to check.

    "Got it!" Koma calls on the third try. The goblin gives Ellie a wide grin as he saunters back into the room, before turning his eyes back to the wand, expression more serious. They now have a choice to make.

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Syless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Adria's first priority is Peridora- she ensures the girl can make her way through before following herself, since Zarrachia is safe on the other side.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Initiative- (1d20+7)[27]
    Aid Another- (1d20+2)[17]
    Acrobatics- (1d20+2)[10]
    Avatar by SeraphicMayin

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    "Alright, Koma, here's the plan. We have both doors open, you grab the wand, and we run together for the exit. Just in case, we should also hold hand so that if the wand teleports again, we should at least end up in the same place again."

    Ellie hoped the platform had info on what taking stuff out of this room might do, but was there anything like that? She wasn't sure.

    She goes to the orrery in the other room and opens that door. Then she returns to Koma. Yes, she is very nervous. Also a bit sad that there's so many wonderful things here to take, but... No, can't get greedy. She secures the items she does have so they don't get dropped in the run.

    "Ready?" She holds out her hand.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2019-10-22 at 12:45 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Sachni nodded as she shook the ambassador's hand. What a nice man.

    "I'll try, sir. 'Death by slime pit' would be an embarrassing end. I'm hoping for something more dignified...and distant."

    Gathering her equipment didn't take long. It was all neatly organised. She'd soon be on her way back to the meeting place.

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Belginabo - Flashback
    Okoro takes a second to answer. When they do, Belginabo senses a tone of amusement. "Before I had this form, I was a woman of war in the court of Pharaoh Xaracort. When my essence was placed into this doll, the question of if my gender was retained became academic, since I am incarnate in a body without gender. My soul shifts to fit the doll, so does my gender persist? I do not believe the wizards of my age ever made up their minds about the matter. I find she, or they, are both reasonable."

    Adria & Zarrachia
    Zarrachia, with quick reflexes and nimble gait, is through to the other side of the gateway in no time. Peridora and Nihnin are both close behind her, the latter starting to squirm through with Adria's help while Nihnin is struggling to fit through the tiny gap Zarrachia managed so easily. She looks like she could use a hand.

    Even without that issue, there's another problem. Neither gap looks remotely big enough for Adria. Either she's going to have to pull off a near impossible feat of contortion in short order, or Zarrachia's going to have to heft the portcullis up with the winch to let her through. And preferably slam it shut in short order. The pounding sound of a regular drumbeat is growing louder. And faster.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Athletics to raise the portcullis. Yes, even with the winch - it's hefty and rusty. I'm not setting a DC, your roll will determine how high you can get it and how quickly

    Ellie
    Koma nods, taking one final gulp of air. On Ellie's count, goblin and human reach out, grabbing the wand together and pulling it free.

    Before the pair can turn and sprint away however, a voice emerges from above the rack, speaking in Ancient Osiriani.

    "Thank you. Have a nice day!"

    It sounds... cheerful. No alarms or red lights seem to trigger. The room seems completely fine with the wand being taken.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Congrats! You're done with this place, and can leave whenever you want to. Nice job!

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Ellie Sprocket, gobsmacked


    Ellie blinked and glanced at the rack a second time. She then looked to Koma. "It-it just told us to have a nice day," she explained. "You know what? Gift horse. Let's just leave this place before it changes its mind."

    She almost yanked the goblin along when she started a brisk power walk to the exit. Ellie slowed down so Koma could move with her at the same pace. She kept close to him too. It was almost funny--the day started with Koma stealing these items and Ellie stumbling behind Koma to fight for them back. Now they're... well, would friend be too strong? Certainly on good terms whatever the case may be. Course once they were out Ellie thought that maybe helping Koma get out the city gates first would be the smart plan. Then she could return to the Grand Alchemist and present him with three recovered items and the find of the year--a sanctuary built by Nex's followers. Still intact!

    Well, minus that guardian statue. So 99... point 9 percent intact...
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Upstate NY

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Zarrachia

    "Peridora! Nihnin! As soon as you're through, give me a hand with this!"

    Zarra doesn't so much pull the winch as throw her whole body on top of the handle in an attempt to force it into motion.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Athletics: (1d20+2)[12]

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    Okoro takes a second to answer. When they do, Belginabo senses a tone of amusement. "Before I had this form, I was a woman of war in the court of Pharaoh Xaracort. When my essence was placed into this doll, the question of if my gender was retained became academic, since I am incarnate in a body without gender. My soul shifts to fit the doll, so does my gender persist? I do not believe the wizards of my age ever made up their minds about the matter. I find she, or they, are both reasonable."
    Belginabo smiles. "Thank you for telling me this, my friend. It makes it easier to address you as a person." He turns to leave, but stops again.

    "You know what, calling you by a plural, that makes it sound like you're a bigwig. You'll be a she to me, if you don't mind!"

    He makes to move out, but stops once more, nearly bumping into an obstacle - a small furry animal, golden in color. "Ha! Fancy you here, you little scoundrel!" He picks the ferret up in his hands. "Okoro, meet my little friend Hexizkakus. Hexizkakus, meet my large friend Lady Okoro. Remember her... We'll meet again, hopefully soon! And now, time to go. Stay safe!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    The Riddler chuckles, with the indulgent air of a parent. "No price. No expectation. No need to explain. Take it. Then you'll know the gift of knowledge."
    The gnome's eyes sparkle in excitement. "Then, gladly I will take it! Thanks! We'll bring Peridora back as soon as we can!"

    And with that, assuming the Riddler has told him all they were about to say, he walks back to the Pit, his backpack now noticeably heavier, Hexizkakus on his heels, to rejoin with Sachni.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-10-22 at 10:16 PM.
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Keshkaru in Extinction Curse | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Belginabo
    The nature of this gift becomes clear as soon as Belginabo places his hand upon it. His vision goes dim for just a moment, as the enchantment starts to resonate with the gnomeish apprentice. He can hear chanting in a language he doesn't know, see arcane runes in his mind's eye, feel a little more of Golarion's magic at his fingertips. The knowledge of this book isn't contained in its pages - it's spiritual. This whole thing was spiritual and metaphorical really. By accepting the book, he's accepted the power within it, and the knowledge it represents.

    In a way. He can't understand the words, or what the runes mean exactly. He can't lay out the theory behind it all. But he can use it. He knows instinctively how to cast these spells, and just what they'll do.

    "May you never tire of the thirst, till the Final Incantation echoes in your ears." The Riddler bows, their duty done. Before they turn however, the masked figure adds a few words more. "And... bring the girl back safely." Hexizkakus meeps as the two of you start to walk away. Something about this encounter has left Belginabo's friend looking concerned.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Add 'Riddler's Tome' to your inventory. Bulk 1. Also please select 2 cantrips and 2 first level spells from the Arcane spell list. These unlock for Belginabo as innate spells, as long as he bears the tome on his person. (The cantrips at will, level 1s 1/day each.)



    Ellie
    Koma beams up at Ellie, the little goblin seemingly elated with how their little misadventure has concluded. The wand is tied to his belt now, on the opposite side to the sword, as the two beings start their brisk walk out of the compound into the darkness. Right outside the doors, the area is paved, but soon enough the pair are forced to start walking across rough hewn caverns in search of a way out.

    Even with the torch to help light their way, the duo face slow going at first. Past the insulation of 'Here', the cavern is chill and wet - what Ellie most likely would've expected from the Ooze Pits, truth be told. There's no sound, unfortunately, not even the gloop gloop gloop of one of the resident slimes passing by. It's more than a little earie, walking through shadowy rock formations with the knowledge no one else is there but you. Koma starts whistling, trying to break the silence with a discordant but cheerful tune. It may be difficult for Ellie to decide which is worse, intimidating silence or Koma's dissonant pitch

    Finally, something interrupts the Cindersnout. A gargle. A low, quiet sound from up ahead. It sounds human-ish, like someone's been hurt and is gasping for air. Koma glances to Ellie, placing his hand to his sword hilt. If they do check this out, they'll need to be ready for trouble.

    Adria and Zarrachia
    Peridora is through fairly swiftly, the little girl jumping to help Ms. Zarrachia. Between the two of them, the rusty old gate begins to rise - not to its full height, but the pair are able to hold it just high enough to allow a kneeling Adria passage through. Nihnin still is struggling to catch up, pulling furiously on the wall. The pounding is getting all the louder - it'll be in the room with them in a matter of seconds.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yeah, Adria's still due a post this round, and since we're on Encounter Time I'll allow three actions.

    Meanwhile, Hero Point distribution!

    Adria and Zarrachia get one each for coming down here before preparation, Ellie gets one for agreeing to give Koma the wand rather than fighting him over it. So yeah, the Pit Party get one more each, but with the fact that they're at the heart of the danger right now, that's not too surprising. Good luck gang! Use 'em well!
    Last edited by Inspector Valin; 2019-10-23 at 07:44 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Ellie's hand delicately wrapped around the stock of her crossbow. "I want to find out what is making that sound. Let's move, but carefully. Step light."

    She took slow, deliberate steps towards the gurgling sounds in the cavern. She tried to hide the sounds of her steps best she could, though she couldn't hide the light without blinding herself.

    Stealth (1d20+6)[11]
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Upstate NY

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Zarrachia:

    "Adria! Help Nihnin! Peridora, reverse course, let's bring this back down!"

    Zarra plants her shoulder under the winch handle and heaves.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Athletics: (1d20+2)[18]
    Athletics: (1d20+2)[18]
    If they manage to get the gate down, Zarra readies her shortbow.

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Syless's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Adria crawls under the barely-lifted portcullis before it's dropped, then tries to extricate Nihnin from the gap she's trying to squeeze through. For whatever's coming, her holy symbol starts to glow, in case she needs to repel it...

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I guess Athletics to pull Nihnin through safely?
    Athletics- (1d20)[16]
    Avatar by SeraphicMayin

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Raka

    "Buy them? I- well..." Things had slowed down, but her head was still spinning. And there were still things to be done. "Perhaps we can discuss this later? A bunch of people just jumped down into the pit. Someone needs to look out for them. If I get back alive, you can find me by my stall."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I've been told I need to hurry, so hopefully I can put this on the backburner and Raka can head down to the dungeon crawl. still very interested in picking up with this later.
    I hope I 'm not deeply offending either of them in the process.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Hexizkakus' unease registers with his master, but Belginabo is too busy imagining the incredible discoveries he's going to make with this well of arcane knowledge to truly worry about anything else for the moment. A question to ask Zalenko when he returns, certainly.

    The gnome hurries back to the Ooze Pit for his appointment with the Vuldrani woman and adventure.
    DM in Mummy's Mask I, II, III | Keshkaru in Extinction Curse | Avatar courtesy of Neoseph7

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Ellie
    Koma nods, content with Ellie taking the lead. He places a hand over the lantern orb - dimming it just a touch to help keep their approach quiet without leaving his friend blind.

    Perhaps they needn't have bothered. After perhaps a minute of walking, and the slowly growing sound of water, they find the source of the noise. The cavern they emerge into is massive, akin to an underground hall, and actually lit. A cascade of bright blue glowing liquid falls majestically from some far higher point, running down the centre of this room, forming a loose channel perhaps thirty foot wide, with a handful of large rocks allowing for a makeshift bridge. The blue water shifts to purple in spots as it goes, finally flowing away into the darkness of the pits. It's quite an impressive sight for something so far beneath the ground.

    The noise is coming from the same side of the blue river Koma and Ellie entered the room on. There's a figure, huddled in a darkened corner, still seemingly twitching and groaning. Some poor fellow traveller perhaps? Undone by a monster lurking in the pits? Koma and Ellie exchange a glance, wondering if this is the truth, or if their mark is some deceptive trap.

    Suddenly, something jumps up from the quivering wreck, jumping and bounding with a patter of tiny paws across the cavern towards Ellie and Koma! Instinctively Ellie raises her crossbow, trying to adjust her aim to account for the creature's indescribably fast movement.

    Only... then she recognizes her assailant. And her heart can't help but sing at the sight of the little pest.

    Widgit leaps up into Ellie's arms, scampering onto her shoulder and nuzzling her cheek with a contented pur, happy to see his mistress again. Koma meanwhile has darted ahead towards the groaning form. Drawing closer, Ellie can make it out too. One of the other Cindersnouts, their blue coat covered in blood. Something had hurt them pretty bad. Koma's cutting strips away from his coat, looking for wounds to bind. "Ody?! Ody! You not die! Here now!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Well... at least you've got your familiar back? And your gear too, all of that's in the pack on Ody's back, still perfectly intact. Also it's not strictly engineering but given Ellie's alchemy background I'll note without a roll that the water's non-magical: just bioluminescence.


    Adria & Zarrachia
    A lifetime escaping notice in Geb makes sure you're fast when you have something to outrun. Adria is under the gate in half a second, helping Nihnin through as Zarrachia readies her crossbow. Even Peridora has formed a shield spell. All eyes are on the other side of the cavern

    It's hard to make out just what it is in this light, Ardia's spell doesn't give the group much to work with. You catch a glimpse of mottled fur, and bulging muscle, its legs make the ground shake with each step. It looks humanoid in rough silhouette, but it towers more than three times the height of its would be quarry. You hear a faint sniffing, and then a low growl as it starts to move forward, picking up speed as it charges towards the light of Adria's spell.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Enter 'Thumper'. You may thank Xacha for the name.

    He's on the other side of the cavern from you. I'm gonna call it... 45 feet. Actions, my friends? *goes to look up Hardness/HP of rusty iron.*

    Raka
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uuuugh... I asked you to discuss it with me, not to hurry. I said specifically I didn't want to hustle you, to try and avoid this situation! *sigh* Que sirrah sirrah. Let's just try and get the two teams set up at least.

    "Quite all right." the man in the mask bows politely. "The good of the people is ever paramount. I know your stall now. We can find you when you return."

    After that... well, the man who'd been planning the rescue is fairly obvious, and he's standing right over there. It doesn't take much to convince him to let a clearly well equipped warrior tag along

    Raka, Sachni & Belginabo
    Soon enough, having completed any remaining preparations you wished to see to, the three apparent members of this rescue party stand ready before the mouth of the pit. Borume has made ready for them - a hefty looking rotordrone hovers above, a platform with wooden rails suspended below it via hefty looking cable. The crowd has dispersed by now, in belated compliance with proper safety ordenances, and the pit workers are busy with reconstruction of their scaffolding. It's just the three of you and the Grand Alchemist to see this off.

    Borume coughs, not quite sure what to say. It takes the old man a second to collect himself. He bows to the three of you. "Good luck. May Nethys illuminate your path, and show you mercy as is fitting. And should you fall, may Pharasma's judgement treat you kindly."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Final chance to ask for goodies, rewards, kudos or the like. As soon as the three of you step on the platform, you're en route to the bottom of the pit.

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    DigoDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Pathfinder 2e: Legacy of Nex (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    Widgit leaps up into Ellie's arms, scampering onto her shoulder and nuzzling her cheek with a contented pur, happy to see his mistress again. Koma meanwhile has darted ahead towards the groaning form. Drawing closer, Ellie can make it out too. One of the other Cindersnouts, their blue coat covered in blood. Something had hurt them pretty bad. Koma's cutting strips away from his coat, looking for wounds to bind. "Ody?! Ody! You not die! Here now!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Well... at least you've got your familiar back? And your gear too, all of that's in the pack on Ody's back, still perfectly intact. Also it's not strictly engineering but given Ellie's alchemy background I'll note without a roll that the water's non-magical: just bioluminescence.
    Ellie Sprocket

    "Widget!! Oh I am so glad to see you!" Ellie does a twirl with her little construct critter and hugs him. She walks over to Koma and assesses the situation.

    "If Widget is here, is my bag here too? Oh, I think that's it on his back." Ellie points to her bag. "Koma, I might have some medicine that could help your friend. Let me see if my reagents survived." Ellie puts Widget on her shoulder and crouches bends turns kneels plops. Ellie just plots onto the ground with no grace and probably adding another stain to the already ruined dress, but whatever. She looks through her bag's contents to see if either of her two elixirs survived.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If Ellie's two Elixirs of life survived, then she will use one on Ody. Heals for 3d6+6 points. (3d6+6)[18]
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Doc Wagon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •