New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default A Faerie Affair - IC IV: Dragon with Butterfly Wings

Today is the 8th of Mirtul, 1492. It is 8am.
    You are in the Palace of Jewels, the enclave of King Soren's Court. Akiko, Astra, Kor and Kyu gain the benefits of a long rest. Violet gains a level of exhaustion and a point of inspiration!

You wake up knowing you have a busy day ahead of you. Preparations for the contest are being stepped up dramatically, so time is limited if you want to be involved in any capacity. Some messages have arrived overnight: your credit accounts have been updated, Violet has a room of her own now, and it seems that Jasper has asked to see Astra and Kyu at the next opportunity. You also receive a small scrap of paper that has only the characters "? RR" written on it...
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Faerie Affair - IC IV: Dragon with Butterfly Wings

After a splendid night's rest in an actual bed (though not as luxuriously big as Kyu's), Astra gets her affairs in order, preparing herself and new spells for the day.

Spoiler: Today's spells
    Show
    Detect Magic
    Expeditious Retreat
    Identify
    Shrink Object
    Locate Object
    Levitate

Looking at the scrap of paper, it took her a while to figure out what it may mean. Could the spy who went by the name of Rhona Rainbow be looking for them..?

Recalling some events from their previous stay here, Astra digs through her stack of guild invitations and finds the one for the Arcane Chirurgeons' Association. After briefly reading that over, she signs it too. That must be what? Five things she signed up for now? She'd better try and keep a limit on this...

She decides to meet up with Kyu and Violet first. Jasper likely had some important things to discuss with them, but by "next opportunity" it didn't seem too urgent. Would their little plans last night to find a new fashion have to wait?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-05 at 03:37 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

As Astra looks into Kyu's room, she sees a strange sight. Violet, sitting on the edge of the bed, holding the crystal flower. Violet's face looks like she's been crying, and she doesn't look like she slept at all last night. But she slowly, and carefully puts the flower into her bag, with reverent sorrow. Then, she looks up, and sees Astra, and waves softly.
    "Hi, Astra." Her voice seems to be devoid of her normal cheer.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

"Hello, Violet..." Astra says. She gazes at the petal with concern. "Are.. you alright?"

5. - Top - End - #5

GreenSorcererElf

Violet struggles to smile for a moment, before she gives up, and just looks at Astra. Her voice is almost wistful, but also very sad. "Why do people have to be so mean?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Astra shakes her head. "I don't know. But not everyone is mean. Most aren't, I don't think."

"Please don't be so sad. I mean.. I've even picked flowers and made garlands out of them..." She recalled she was even wearing one not too long ago but it had dried out and fallen apart. "I'm sure the drow had no idea about the flower. I know I didn't..."

"Please, just focus on the friends you do have. You.. you can't go on mourning every last thing that dies. That's no way to live..."

7. - Top - End - #7

GreenSorcererElf

Violet offers Astra a small smile. "We just need to convince everyone to be nice, and then everything will be ok." She nods once, clearly quite certain of herself, before she continues. "And flowers love being admired. It's not picking them that's sad, it's abandoning them afterwards. And using them to make spiders to be mean is even worse!"
    She looks around, clearly still a bit sad, before she speaks again. "Maybe we could visit the children? They'll be really happy, because the king's going to make Jurgen better, and maybe they'll want to explore too?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Astra smiles. "That's a great idea. I think later today though. Seems we have some long overdue plans and a meeting with someone kind of important. But I'm sure by the afternoon they'll have healed Jurgen!"

Looking to Kyu, Astra says, "Let's find some new clothes while the going is good! It's.. it's not like it's top priority, but it feels like it's now or never!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor had slept pretty well, the tree branches were pretty comfy here. He wasn't really sure what do next though... Maybe see someone who was in charge of the hunt, Kor would definitely want take part in that.

10. - Top - End - #10

GreenSorcererElf

Violet seems a little disappointed by Astra's delaying tactics, because friends are more important than someone kinda important, but then she realizes that she might be able to make new friends, and perks up a bit.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Kor
    Show
    You look for someone in charge of the hunt, and eventually some soldiers direct you towards Clara Bronzeshield, the Grand Marshall. She's got a big tent set up on the outskirts of the enclave, where the senior officers are planning their strategies. As something of a VIP, you have no trouble getting inside.

"Ah, you must be Korialstrasz, the dragon. It is good to finally meet you. Is there something you need?"

Spoiler: Astra, Kyu, Violet
    Show
    The three of you head over to where the clothesmaking guilds are clustered. The faeries there are only too happy to help you, crowding around and fussing you with suggestion after suggestion. They're clearly well aware that you've got credits to spend.

The current fashion is heavily influenced by what you yourselves were wearing when you first arrived at the court... what you're still wearing now, in fact. So relatively simple, practical garments predominate. Tunics, breeches, hooded cloaks in dark, earthy colours, summery dresses and long stockings... Some of the garments are fashionably torn or distressed, but certainly not all. Kyu finds an array of silk ribbons in a corner of one of the shops - clearly one particular designer was inspired by her 'look'.

What sort of things would you like to try on?

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Astra says, with a giggle, "No, no, no! We came here to make a new fashion trend! Or.. at least I did..."

She pauses for a while, giving Violet and Kyu a glance. Astra asks, "Do you all have any of those cool magic clothes, that's like.. made of illusions and such?"

She recalled when she first met Goldfeather, it seemed people had something like this, though what they did was make layer upon layer of frilly cloth. Astra wanted to do something the opposite of this. Opposite for her didn't mean all drab black utilitarian style though.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Yes, I am! Nice to meet you too! Thought I'd just check up, since I've volunteered to be part of the hunt and all that." Kor lands on a table, looking around. "You got any plans yet? I wanna be in the front, since I'm a pretty good tracker and all."

14. - Top - End - #14

GreenSorcererElf

Entering the clothesmaking guild area, Violet looks around, taking in the many greens and browns, and the lack of nice, colorful clothing. She seems almost... disappointed as she looks around, resplendent in her homemade petal dress, so full of color, and so unlike the current style.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Astra
    Show
    When you ask about magical clothing, the clerk thinks for a while before explaining that most of those sorts of things are beyond your means. "There are maybe a few items we could offer you right now. One of these, perhaps..."

The sorts of things on offer to you are:
    Cloak of Billowing, a black velvet cape that billows dramatically, even when there is no wind.
    Clothes of Mending, traveller's clothes that automatically mend themselves.
    Glamoured Shirt, a short-sleeved shirt that can be any colour you choose.
    Knave's Gloves, leather gloves that cannot be damaged by acid or poison.
    Skirt of Gleaming, a long burgundy-coloured skirt that never gets dirty.

The magic in these items is quite weak, and of course you'd have to accept whatever style happens to be available. It'd be a start, though.

Show
    "Hmm. We can definitely get you involved with tracking, if that's what you're best at.

To tell the truth, it's been difficult to get any kind of plan in place. Most of our hunters are sworn to this or that noble house and... you know how nobles are,"
    she sighs. "Just when I think I've got them all on board, someone brings up an objection that I never even knew existed. As far as tracking goes, I'm hoping to get the Foxcomet party in east, the Maplehalls to the south, and Lord Bumblegrove's men in the west. I wanted to get some scouts to shadow Reena's trackers, too, but at this point I think I'll have to assign a squad of royal guards to that task. No one else can be trusted..."

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh..." Astra says with some disappointment. Of course that type of thing was way too expensive for them. She humors the clerk and takes a look at the things presented...

Astra smiled at the cloak. It reminded her of scarface. But she also recalled how annoying it felt. This, on top of going around her long hair and wings, just made her feel it would be utterly out of the question anyway.

The traveling clothes of mending would be somewhat convenient. Perhaps if she was having a bad day and just didn't feel like mending her own clothes, but she thought she'd pass anyway. It felt awfully wasteful.

The shirt was cool in that it could change colors, but she wasn't looking for a shirt. Still, perhaps a tiny step closer to what she had in mind...

The gloves were just, well. No.

And the skirt was much too long for her taste, and also an awful color. Ugh.

Astra emits a long and dramatic sigh and says, "No thank you.. this isn't what I meant..." Glancing at Violet, she thinks to herself how nice the dress is. But still, maybe even a little dress may be too 'in the box' for what Astra was thinking. She flits over to the collection of silk ribbons in a corner and examines them, thinking and thinking, brainstorming...

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I guess the ribbons are just like, normal thin ribbons, and not too wide? I mean if they were very wide, I guess they wouldn't be "ribbons"...

I'm thinking I want a whole new garment tailored. The good news is it probably doesn't actually take too much fabric and may be relatively simple to make. Inspiration is this (but no turtleneck?). Not an exact match. Other pictures. In case you are curious what game that is from.

I also think making the cloth color match to Astra's hair is not what I want. My first preference would be a light pastel green to match her eyes, or second, perhaps a deeper red to go with her wings and somewhat with her hair. Third choices of color, I dunno... Muave?? Or canary yellow??

In terms of building it properly, I think the first layer would be made of chiffon or silk and extremely minimal, then we'd have outer layers above that made from gossamer or gauze silk to get something similar to the picture.

Is sitting down with a tailor and trying to homebrew up a new type of garment even a remote possibility?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-17 at 01:17 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

GreenSorcererElf

After spending a minute or two looking over the dull clothing, an Idea occurs to Violet. Maybe they decided that since they're doing a hunt thing, clothes meant for exploring might make more sense? Maybe it's going to be like hide and seek, or a scavenger hunt? Those are really fun! Finding the sparkly stones, or the lost bees, or even hiding from Mr. Bear! But... that means maybe they still have their more colorful clothing? Just not out? Maybe?
    She looks around, and tries to approach one of the sadder looking clothesfaeries with a cheerful smile, as maybe they were the one that liked brighter clothing too!
    "Do you know if there is anything more... colorful around? They're all really well made, and nice, but colors are nice too, and it's really boring if everything's the same color?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor only recently had gotten any idea what nobles were like, but thinks he gets the gist.

"Yeah, they can be hard to deal with, I guess... Maybe I could help with that? Go talk to some of the nobles? Since I'm outsider to this court, maybe it could be easier for me?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Astra & Violet
    Show
    In search of more vibrant colour, you ask a few questions and hunt a little further. Eventually you end up in front of a squat, run-down shop that sits sadly at the end of the street. The whitewashed walls are cracked and peeling, and the window displays contain only bare manikins and dust. Apparently though, this is where you'll find what you want.

Inside, there are indeed fabrics of many colours. There are coats of motley in clashing colours, robes of silk and velvet, headpieces that seem to defy gravity. A pair of trousers made entirely out of leather belts, and... a belt made out of trousers? Half-finished garments, design sketches and clothesmaking tools are piled up all over the place. There are hints of 'rugged adventurer' style here and there, but there's definitely something very experimental about the clothes in this shop.

There is only one other person here, a gnome with thick, braided hair down to his ankles and an electric blue waistcoat that's almost painful to look at. He's labouring over what appears to be a steam-powered sewing machine when you walk in, but opening the door triggers a buzzer and his head jerks upwards. His eyes are bright - or maybe wild would be a better word for it - but his smile is warm and genuine.

After filling his little lungs with air, he speaks rapidly, such that it takes your mind a few seconds to catch up to what he says. It sounds something like: "ah, hello hello! Welcome to my shop! I'm Lindenwood Firecracker 'Two Dogs' Oblong Zobmoboggle, tailor extraordinaire, proprietor of this very shop, and five-time regional billiards champion!! Then, his eyes darken and he mutters in a much quieter voice: please tell me you're here to buy something..."

Show
    "You're welcome to try," she says. "You can join up with one of their parties, too, if you like. It might sound strange, but I feel like I can trust you outsiders more than anyone from around here."

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

20. - Top - End - #20

GreenSorcererElf

Wandering through the stalls, Violet seems almost disappointed as she asks after brighter colors, only to be told none here, go somewhere else. But eventually... eventually she sees it. Colors! Bright, and colorful, and wonderful, just like they were meant to be! Almost mesmerized, she approaches, reaching for the handle.

With hope shining in her eyes, she opens the door, only to immediately let go with a small "eep!" when the door shouts at her. With that, her petals wilt as she realizes that even the doors don't like colors here. So she stands there, a bright bit of violet against the greens and browns of her surroundings, outside of the place she had placed such hope in reaching, only to be rejected at the last moment. Clearly an outsider, someone with no experience of the court.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Astra
    Show
    ...noticing that Violet has stayed outside, the gnome whispers to Astra, "what's wrong with her? Allergic to the fashions of tomorrow?"

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Astra smiles. "Ah, hello there, Mr. Firecracker, uh, whatzibobble??" Her smile faultered. "Um. Sorry. I guess I didn't quite get your name..."

When the gnome asks about Violet, Astra whirls around, confused. She had been too busy taking in all the sights and was about to compliment him, when he brought up her absence. "Oh. That's Violet. And she's a bit strange.. definitely not used to people.."

Astra goes back to the door, opening it and triggering the buzzer once more. "Violet! What's wrong?" she calls.

23. - Top - End - #23

GreenSorcererElf

Violet starts again as the door buzzes, protesting Astra's departure. She seems to grow even sadder at that. It takes a few moments for her to speak, and her voice is inaudible. "The door yelled at me when I tried to open it, so I don't think it wants me to go through."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Astra looked up at the door and where the machine was that was apparently the buzzer and frowned. Yeah, it was pretty obnoxious, wasn't it?

But she just shook her head and tried to persuade Violet, the door being left wide open the whole time so it wouldn't buzz again. "That's just some kind of alarm, Violet. Like, to let the shopkeeper know someone came in? He's very busy..."

"But hey! There's a lot of cool things in here! I think it's just what we are looking for!" She smiles once again at the petal, hoping she'll come in..

25. - Top - End - #25

GreenSorcererElf

Following Astra's look, Violet sees the strange object on the doorframe, and a sense of hope fills her, as her petals straighten. "The door's yelling at the shopkeeper, to let him know he has visitors? Ok!" With that, Violet darts inside, and looks around the shop, taking in the many different fashions there.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, exactly!" Astra says. "Er, well, sort of.."

She turns back to the gnome. "Um, right! Anyway, Mr. Firecracker, as I was saying, I think this place was just what we were looking for! Trousers made of belts? That's very.. uh, out there! Very ingenious! Very creative! Although.. I was hoping to find- or make- something more comfortable..."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Astra and Violet
    Show
    He nods happily. "Yes, I can make things. Whatever you like!" He sweeps away a pile of stuff from a table, hunting out some old design drawings. "Hey, how about this: it's a cape that hangs from the waist, so you can wear it under your wings? I'd look great on you! Or..." He starts scribbling additions onto the drawing. You'd better explain exactly what you want before he comes up with some other crazy idea...

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Astra chuckles. "A bit longer than what I was hoping for. Hmm. Or perhaps, not long enough..."

She begins with some grandiosity, "Imagine, if you will, a garment that is simple and elegant, light and translucent, and practically has no stitching..."

She begins by unfurling a roll of fabric and somewhat wrapping it around herself for dramatic effect. Though analytically, was still quite off. She has to go back and try to scribble on her own thoughts just to get the idea across.

29. - Top - End - #29

GreenSorcererElf

Violet chimes in as well. "Or... maybe a dress, but not one in boring colors? One done in blues, and silvers, and purples, and really sparkly? It'd be really pretty!"
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2019-10-23 at 06:27 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Show
    "You're welcome to try," she says. "You can join up with one of their parties, too, if you like. It might sound strange, but I feel like I can trust you outsiders more than anyone from around here."
    "Well I trust me more than you guys too!" Kor blurted out. "...uhh, you know what I mean. I can certainly make everyone play nicely! Or else I'll bite them!"