New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Faerie Affair - IC IV: Dragon with Butterfly Wings

Your speculation is as good as anything the faeries can come up with themselves. It seems like, given how long things have been this way, these ones have stopped thinking about it too hard. "It's just one of those things," Hans shrugs. "You occasionally hear people theorising in the cafés and salons, but no one's been able to figure out what happened. I think, if it was some kind of mass curse being cast by outside forces, one of the court's wizards would have sorted it out by now. Plus an effect like this is much bigger than anything a conventional spell could do, from my understanding."
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Astra shrugs and says, "Well.. whatever it is, I hope everyone can get it all sorted out!"

3. - Top - End - #513
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

With Cassie hopefully cheered up a bit, Violet finishes her hug, and flits back a bit, before smiling. "Maybe it doesn't really matter? What's important is that we get everyone working together!"
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

And so, you continue on down the twisting forest paths of the western Starwoods to the appointed meeting place. Soon enough, you start to run into other groups of hunters and courtiers, getting larger and more frequent as you get closer to where Soren and Reena must be. Tiny tents in every possible colour have sprung up like mushrooms after rain, and winged fey perch on the all of the branches up above. despite the natural sneakiness of faeries and the magical tools the armies surely have at their disposal, there is no hiding a force this large, and occasionally you hear sounds of fighting as outlying groups of hunters clash with roaming drow elements, but you yourselves manage to get through without any further encounters.

Hans and the other Bumblegrove bannermen break off to regroup with their comrades and, when it becomes clear that Astra and Kor will need to speak with the royal parties, the Special Department faeries decide to hang back and do some last minute preparation of their own.

At the centre of the buzzing mass of fey creatures, you find the two royal parties, set up with a conspicuous no-man's-land between them. There are plenty of familiar faces: the half-nymph Orianna accompanies Queen Reena, while Opal and Kyu are chatting amicably in Soren's entourage. At this point, Cassie wishes you luck, says that there is someone she needs to find, and flits off.

That just leaves Astra, Kor and Violet alone, for the time being. What do you want to do next?

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Astra seems at a loss for what to do at first, a sheer hive of activity around them.

Eventually she says, "Well, um.. why don't we check in with King Soren? And then Queen Reena? Hopefully we don't get arrested again!"

6. - Top - End - #516

GreenSorcererElf

Violet, who had been staring, wide eyed, at the many colors and amazing new friends she was sure to meet is snapped back to reality by Astra's words. "Ok! And then maybe we can see if we can set up a party, to help everyone get to know each other! Maybe with masks, to make it really fancy, and to make it so everyone is the same? It'll be really fun, we'd just need to find party things, and masks, and make the area really nice! It'll be lots of fun, and help everyone to make new friends!"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Hmm, speaking of friends, I think I'll try check with local animals, maybe they've seen or heard something useful..." Kor says, looking around. They probably couldn't say much about troops, but if the drow gad some unusual creatures under their command, or some hidden base, some animals might have noticed them.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

Starting with King Soren's party, Astra and Violet can feel some nervous tension in the air. Cloverfield, Goldfeather, Bronzeshield and the other members of the King's inner circle offer muted greetings; just nods and waves. The King's face is stony, giving nothing away. Kyu is more effusive, as you'd expect: "hi guys! You finally made it! This is pretty intense, huh?"

With trademark pragmatism, Opal says "things are going well here. The two courts are within spitting distance and no one has stirred up any trouble yet." She looks around quickly to make sure that that is still true. "I believe the next step is for the other court to formally present the rules of the contest, but I think they're waiting for our... neutral judge... to arrive first. Perhaps you should check with Ori, see what the hold-up is?"

Meanwhile, Kor might have a hard time finding animals to talk to. Many of the local creatures have already fled due to the drow, and the arrival of the faerie courts appears to have startled away any stragglers. You could try a Wisdom (Animal Handling) check to see if you can coax someone out of their hidey-hole.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

The tenseness in the air is tangible, but Astra endures it and pushes forward!

"Oh, good idea!" she tells Opal. "I'll uh.. see what Ori has to say."

Then she crosses the no man's land area with a hand raised in greeting. Surely they knew her already, right?

"Hello everyone! And your Majesty. A fine day, isn't it? Can I, uh, talk to Orianna?"

10. - Top - End - #520

GreenSorcererElf

Violet smiles cheerily at everyone as they arrive, but she seems a little disappointed as they are quickly sent elsewhere. Still, she follows Astra, as it is a chance to meet new people!
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor wasn't all that surprised he couldn't find any help, what with all the strangers tromping around in their forest. Hopefully they could wrap this up quickly, and let the forest resume its normal life.

Kor decided then to go back to check on Astra and Violet. He asked where they'd gone, briefly stopping to greet Opal and Kyu.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

"Greetings, ambassadors," says Queen Reena, stiff and impassive. Around her are several courtiers, some of whom you've seen before, though you don't know most of their names. Her court wizard, looking a good bit more dishevelled than the last time you saw him, nods to Astra and Kor, but then his bright, ice blue eyes stop on Violet.

"Your magnificence, I don't recognise that petal. She was not among the group that stood trial."

That prompts everyone to stop and do a quick headcount. With Ori, Opal and Kyu all within eyeshot, the original five-member party is accounted for, meaning Violet must be a newcomer.

The queen fixes a glare on Astra. "He's right. Who is this woman?"

To one side, Ori makes a face as if she'd like to talk to you, but she knows that Violet's introduction must come first.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh my goodness! I forgot!" Astra says, worrying just how much the queen and her entourage might overreact.

"This woman.. we met her in the woods on the way to the other court. She came along with us, and she helped fight off some drow that attacked us and the children!"

Astra nods confidently, hoping that explanation would put the queen's mind at ease.

14. - Top - End - #524

GreenSorcererElf

Violet smiles cheerfully as the dour looking Queen Reena interrogates Astra, and after Astra finishes, she pipes up, still smiling, and waves. "Hi! I'm Violet, and it's really nice to meet you! Your crown is really sparkly and silvery, like the moon when the sun's coming up! And it matches your eyes too! Like a queen from the stories!"
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2021-08-10 at 02:52 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Reena stares at Violet for a good, long time, saying nothing. She searches your eyes as if they contain every secret plot anyone has ever formulated. Her gaze freezes your skin and singes your petal-wings. Eventually she makes a small frown, and speaks a brief couplet: "Well now miss Violet you have selected // quite a time for meetings unexpected." She then waves her hand in the air to signify that she is done with formalities. "Be at ease. You must want to speak with your friend." The queen reclines back in her chair and allows you past to where Orianna is sitting on the ground.

Ori favours you with a charismatic smile. "Hi Astra, hello Kor. It's good to see you again. And a pleasure to meet you, Violet." She looks relaxed, propped up on her left hand with one leg folded lazily underneath the other, but something in her voice sounds a little strained.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

16. - Top - End - #526

GreenSorcererElf

As Queen Reena stares at Violet, and her skin turns cold, and her wings feel like they're burning, Violet's smile slowly fades, but when the queen relaxes, Violet's smile returns almost instantly as she resists the impulse to celebrate. She got to meet a queen! And to say hi! With a cheerful smile, she flits over to Ori, and waves cheerfully. "Hi! It's really nice to meet you, and Queen Reena, and get to meet lots and lots of people, and make new friends!" Sensing Ori's strain, Violet's smile fades slightly, before she speaks up once more. "Maybe we can help?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor flies a circle around Ori and then lands on her shoulder. "It's nice to see you again! How have things been with the Hefeydd guy? He seemed like a nice enough fellow." Kor scrunches his face, noticing something in her voice.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Astra initially smiles at Orianna, but realizes something seems off. Aside the whole, still being a sort of prisoner thing.

"Hey, Ori! ..is something wrong?" She flies in much closer and whispers, "And where's Prince Hefeydd? Shouldn't he be here about now?"

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

Ori leans in to Astra and says "aye, that's the problem. I've been trying to reach him, but I can't seem to get through." Whether or not Violet gives any indication that she doesn't know what you're all talking about, Ori realises that someone needs to loop her in, so she addresses the bard directly: "Prince Hefeydd is an archfey of my acquaintance. Well, more than that, my paladin's oath is sworn to him. He was supposed to be here to judge the contest as a neutral umpire, but..." she casts her eyes around the area, from which princely archfey are conspicuously absent.

"Can any of you think of a way we could contact him? Normally he finds me, or I can reach out to him when I meditate, but the last time we spoke it sounded like someone interrupted him. Since then I've heard nothing. I'm worried he might be unable to contact me by the normal methods, and we'll need to come up with something a little more... creative."

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

Astra says, "It.. really sounds like something bad may have happened right when he was interrupted? But surely he's very strong. I kinda doubt he was captured... still maybe he could be hurt?"

She looks at the others and says, "I guess there's no way to figure out where he may be to find out. But I suppose there may be one way to attract him? And I finally have an idea for what to put over there." Astra points towards the empty field of the no-man's-land.

"Why don't we start making some kind of big.. uh.. distiller? For, you know, wine or something. We can't really make it instantly, but I guess the competition will take some days in any case. Maybe just the thought might tempt him over though."

21. - Top - End - #531

GreenSorcererElf

Violet smiles encouragingly at Ori and Astra's conversation, listening as the great Prince Hefeydd was described, and his problem was mentioned. "Maybe we could send him a letter? I'm sure he'd be a really fun person to meet! Or... maybe we could go for an epic quest to find and save him! Those are always bunches of fun! We'd get to meet people, make new friends, visit new places, and save him! It'd be perfect!" As she talks, she grows more and more animated, her gestures indicating many people, big places, and much fun would be had.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Oh... Well best case scenario, he's just having a really nice party, but just forgot to tell you..." Kor patted Ori's head reassuringly.

Kor snaps his head towards Astra at the suggestion. "Oh, I've been brewing a special cask of summerwine for a while now! It might be like enchanted or something too since I've been trying to use magic to make it!" Kor is excited, but then stops to think about it. "Umm, I haven't tried it yet though, not sure if it's ready... Uhh, I hope someone brought it to..." Kor tries to remember if he had actually told anyone to bring it along. He had been brewing it for the hunt, but there had also been other stuff going on...

"If that doesn't work though, I can also try to send an animal messenger tomorrow..."
    Last edited by Majin; 2021-08-18 at 05:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #533

GreenSorcererElf

Violet brightens once more, as Kor brings up the idea of a party. "Ooh! I could make a really nice place for a party! Lots of vines, and flowers, and fun places, and dancing areas, and lots of really nice things! It'll be really nice!"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

"Can you do that, Violet?" Astra asks. "It would be a nice start."

25. - Top - End - #535

GreenSorcererElf

Violet nods excitedly, practically vibrating in place. "I can! It'll take a bit, but it'll be lots of fun, singing, planting, encouraging... It's like speed gardening!"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

Ori arches her eyebrow at the idea of 'speed gardening', but overall she thinks your idea has merit. "a big party featuring never-before-tasted wine seems like the sort of thing he wouldn't want to miss. If anything is likely to get his attention, it's that."

Fortunately for Kor, Opal has made sure that your party's mule cart has been brought along, complete with the druid's wine casks. It isn't fully fermented yet, but with such a saturation of powerful fey spellcasters around you, surely there's a way to solve that...

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Hmm, I guess this stuff needs more time..." Kor said after taking a whiff of his concoction. "Guess I'll go ask around if any mages can help me with that... Or maybe there's like brewers who know handy spells. I'll just say it's for the hunt!"

"Or do you guys know any... I dunno, aging spells?"

If nobody in the group does, Kor goes around asking pretty much anyone about their spellcraft.

28. - Top - End - #538

GreenSorcererElf

Not sensing any objections to her plans for speed gardening, Violet quickly speeds off, to make her plan a reality, and starts to place some of her seeds in the right spots in the neutral area, aiming to make a truly amazing gathering/party spot, with plenty of space for dancing, a maze, lots of little nooks and crannies for talking, beautiful overhead flowers(And vines), because why not, and more!
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2021-08-20 at 03:40 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

"Sadly, I don't know any spells that could age a cask of wine or something faster. But I guess I could at least help set up the area to look more welcoming like a party!"

Astra's not really sure what to do, as she's not really an engineer, nor does she have tools or materials to make a distiller or whatever she was just talking about. However, she can still help set up some things with Violet.

30. - Top - End - #540

GreenSorcererElf

Seeing Astra arrive to help, Violet looks at her, and smiles merrily after she finishes planting her current seed, before she dashes over, and hugs her. "Yaay! You're here to help? I can help flowers make lots of things, but maybe somewhere to put food? And drinks? And maybe some lights? And masks? I was going to make a maze over there" Violet gestures to a small area, between a pair of trees, and a couple of small bushes. "So people could have fun exploring, and a central dance floor thing there" She points to the center of the no-faerie's land. "And surround it with lots of little nooks and things, and a few for really big people, like Ori, and then everything would be decorated with flowers, and there'd be some overhead morning glory, so we could maybe hang some lights and things?"
    As Violet excitedly continues her explanation of her amazing plans for a wonderful party, there are the occasional moments where she seems slightly sad, as she realizes she doesn't have an idea of how to create them. Food(She doesn't have seeds for nuts or fruits on her), drinks, places to put food, a stage, lights(If the moon isn't going to be helpful), and masks seem to be the major things she's missing.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings