New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: A Faerie Affair - IC IV: Dragon with Butterfly Wings

Kor involuntarily twitched when twins started laughing in unison. At the moment he was just glad He hadn't offered to hunt with. Kor thought he'd just be busy glancing over his own shoulder to be on the lookout for any drow. He also made a mental note to tell Bronzeshield to be careful... Just in case.

Kor perked up at the mention of the ritual. He was certain that was something Bronzeshield would want to be be checked too. "Alright! That's a deal then! See you soon!" Just in case the sisters might want to haggle more, Kor darted away towards the last camp, now remembering to cast the enchantment to help him be more persuasive.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Cast Enhance ability: Eagle's splendor (advantage on Charisma checks)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Astra
    Show
    The faeries all freeze, the one nearest you just about managing not to spill any healing potion. "Oh right. Of course," stammers one wearing half a suit of armour. They try to act natural, but it's not very convincing.

Potion girl: "so, um... does this mean you're coming with us? I mean, since you're here...?"

Spoiler: Kor
    Show
    You escape the twins before they can say another word, zipping into the Bumblegrove camp unopposed. It's practically deserted, in fact.

Ominous shadows spill out of the command tent, and you can hear ritualistic chanting from within...

Spoiler: Violet
    Show
    Well, it looks like the flowers here are mostly left to grow however they will. If anyone is regularly gardening this patch, they aren't doing it very... regularly. The morning glories are... fine, you guess, a bit scraggly here and there. Not blooming to their full potential. Competing with some other climbers that look like they probably weren't put there deliberately.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: The surprise test
    Show
    "Uh... I don't think so. I mean.. I don't know..." Astra says as she tries to clamber up to her feet but just about falls over again on her hair.

"I mean, I don't have to. I was just talking to Jasper, and all he really wanted me to do was make sure you were ready to go on this hunt." She tries again to get up but still her own body weight is keeping her tethered down.

Astra tries to roll over a bit but her wings are in the way and it feels like she got more tangled. "Ugh, I'm sorry about this and I'm already regretting it. Can one of you help me up?"

(assuming they help her or she manages to get up on her own)

"I'm Astra Glitterwing by the way. Yes, the wizard who helped open the mines. What are all your names and specialities?" She smiles sheepishly, with a blush.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-12-31 at 08:49 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler: Gardening
    Show

With flowers needing help, and seemingly abandoned, Violet cheerfully gets to work, flitting about, helping the morning glories grow well, and helping to give the other climbers a chance to shine as well, before she helps the wildflowers out a little as well. She also collects a few seeds, so she could plant them later, when she spotted a great spot for them.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor was a little surprised there was nobody to greet him. He gulped as he heard the chanting, figuring the ritual must already be underway. He hoped it at least wasn't anything explosive. He silently flew closer to the voices, wondering what there was to do now...

Show
    Stealth: (d20+6)[13]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Astra of the surprise test
    Show
    They accept your explanation and, when you ask, Mimsie gives you a hand up. The faeries identify themselves:

Archibald is 'head of strategic planning'. He's old and, as you quickly infer, a little hard of hearing. He is the only one here with actual military experience, though it was in the distant past.
    Bruno tells you he is an 'auditor'. His shirt is unbuttoned, revealing a pretty ripped chest, but out of all of them, he looked the most shaken during your test.
    Keit is a calligrapher. She's grumpy and plainly doesn't want to be here; you detect a faintly murderous glint in her eyes.
    Mimsie describes herself as a 'factor'. She's slight, even for a faerie, an seems uncomfortable around the weapons, but she's observant and attentive.
    Tuck is a messenger, porter and, it seems, general dogsbody. He laughs awkwardly and says his best skill is dodging thrown objects.

Spoiler: Kor the stealthy
    Show
    You're not at your stealthiest here, in the light of day, but no one seems to notice you creeping around. You get right up to the entrance to the tent without being seen. The chanting is clearly audible and you're sure it's something arcane. The inside of the tent is a morass of shadow and you can smell brimstone from within...

Spoiler: Violet and the flowers
    Show
    It's easy to lose track of time, poking around the flowers. Every time you fix one thing, you notice something else that's just a little bit off. Eventually, with pockets full of seeds, you realise that someone is watching you.

"Looking for something, Violet?" It's Cloverfield, the King's secretary.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Astra thanks Mimsie and tries to assess the Faeries, both by their initial reaction and how they appear and describe themselves. Ultimately it didn't look good. Even she felt rather unprepared to face drow or their minions in the future... what were these people thinking??

She asks for some more clarification.

"Alright, Archibald.." she begins with a nod, "I think I understand your capabilities... Is head of strategic planning what you did in the military, or is that what you do in the miscellaneous department?" To her chagrin, she had to repeat the question a few times.

Turning to Bruno, she notes his physique but that was all that seemed promising. "What exactly do you.. audit?" She doubted the answer would change much.

Then addressing Mimsie she says, "A factor is really vague. What does that mean?"

She nods to the others, needing no further information to understand.

8. - Top - End - #98

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler: Violet's flowery adventure
    Show

Cheerfully humming to herself as she works to put the garden to rights, turning it from a collection of flowers into a happy, beautiful garden, Violet looks up as she realizes someone was watching her. "Cloverfield! You're here? Does that mean that Jurgen is ok now? I think Astra and Kyu got lost, because we were together, then I looked around, and they were gone, so I started looking, and then I found this garden, and the flowers asked for help, so I started helping them, and now they should be much happier." Violet's voice cheerfully fills the small garden, and her hands and knees seem to be a bit on the dirty side, although her dress seems to be clean still(Somehow).
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

So the ritual was already underway, whatever it was they were doing here. Kor hesitated a little, the smell wasn't exactly inviting. But this was what he'd come to do, so no other choice besides to press on. He stuck his head inside the tent, trying to figure out what was going on.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "Oh, yes, it's what I do now." Archibald barks. "I used to be a colonel, you know! Back when the King's Guard were proper soldiers!" The others are starting to roll their eyes...

Bruno mumbles something vague about "oh, you know, processes, workflows, that kind of thing. I, uh, optimise the Department's efficiencies." More eye rolls. Good thing it doesn't matter very much, since it doesn't seem like he actually does very much.

Mimsie explains it to you as she would a child: "it's like... I help the traders buy and sell things. I arrange deals and check the paperwork. I'm... the oil in between the gears." Then she screws up her face at the ugliness of that metaphor.

Show
    You poke your head inside the tent and see a ring of 13 cowled faeries, chanting a spell. In the middle of the circle is a large number of what you assume to be armsmen, who are kneeling, heads bowed. Sure looks like an evil ritual!

Make an Intelligence (Arcana) check if you're curious about the ritual and another Dexterity (Stealth) check if you don't want them to see you.

Show
    Cloverfield betrays no reaction during your ramble, but only says: "hm, you're not together? Shame. Well, I came to tell you that the reincarnation will be starting soon. Would you like to come?"
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2020-01-21 at 05:12 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

11. - Top - End - #101

GreenSorcererElf

Violet nods cheerfully, clearly excited. "I'd love to! Do you think we can find Astra and Kor and Kyu and everyone? I'm sure they'd like to come too!"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Astra sighs. Looking at each of the Faeries again she just had a bad feeling about this.

"Look, I really don't think... I mean... do any of you have any idea what you are getting into? My little test is a very real possibility. People can and will die. You'll be facing drow, some of which are powerful fighters and magic users.. and their minions, like giant spiders, ettercaps, maybe little demons too or something!"

"The point is, this hunt isn't just some silly little game. It's an attempt to have both courts fighting back against the drow invaders. So.. with that in mind, are you willing to go, or at least receive an inkling of training? If not, we had better have a talk with Jasper..."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-01-17 at 04:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    The faeries do show some concern as you explain the dangers, but it seems like they are still willing to join the hunt. They probably don't have much choice, based on what you heard from Jasper.

Archibald says "aha, training, yes! Why, I remember when I was in boot camp..." you get the feeling this could turn into a long story if you don't stop him.

Show
    As you watch, you realise that the words they're chanting... Don't seem quite right. It's as if they're trying to give themselves the strength of demons, but made a mistake and are actually going to end up summoning a bunch of demons!

Somehow, none of them have noticed you yet. Well, they are quite wrapped up in what they're doing.

Show
    "Yes, of course," she says. "I know master Korialstrasz has been doing the rounds amongst the hunting parties, and Kyu has been mingling at the Palace. Any idea where Astra went?"
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2020-02-23 at 11:10 AM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

14. - Top - End - #104

GreenSorcererElf

Show

Violet smiles brightly as she thinks for a few moments. "She was helping Firecracker, and then there was a bakery, and then she was gone! And she didn't say anything! Maybe she told Kyu where she went? Or Kyu might have an idea? We could ask?" After she finishes speaking, Violet looks around the garden for any signs of Astra, and or Kyu, or the Palace.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor's eyes widened as he realized what was going on. He'd at first maybe Bumblegrove's eccentricity had been exaggerated, but this was something else. Even if they had been summoning the thing on purpose, Kor would have stopped it. No demons while he was around.

"Stop, stop! You're making a big mistake!" Kor shouted, no longer hiding himself. He flew around, making noise and trying to disrupt the ritual, bumping into fey. He even summoned his own creatures. "Just distract them!" Kor shouted in panic. And if the demon appeared, Kor might need help fighting it...

Show
    Conjure Animals, summon eight 1/4 creatures.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    If Astra felt she had plenty of leisure time she might have just listened to Archibald tell his story. Might even be a good one. But unfortunately she felt she had too much to do, and neither she nor anyone else had the time. They might have already heard the same story a dozen times over already.

"Say! Telling stories seems like a great idea while the others are doing their training!" she interjects. "But you can do all that without me! For now, why don't we back up a bit. Remember when you were barricading the door? That was a pretty good idea! So was the healing potion. What do you think you would have done after that?" she asks.

Realizing getting information from her was the most obvious thing, she adds, "Let's say I told you a few demons our size were going about, magically disguised as Fey, but then they were hurting people with poisoned knives? .. I'm poisoned, and I don't have any spells to kill or banish them. What do you think would be good to do next?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-01-28 at 02:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "Demons?!" Says Mimsie. "I wasn't expecting demons!" They all look a bit shaken for a moment as they try to visualise your hypothetical situation.

"Best way to fight demons is banishment," Keit observes. "There's spell scrolls in the Disciplinary Committee's room."

Tuck adds: "that's one floor up. I could fly and get them if you could keep the demons distracted for thirty seconds."

Archibald, who had been lost in thought up to now, holds up a hand. "The demons are disguised. How do we know Tuck isn't one of them? We can't trust anyone at all..." and now they're well and truly stumped.

Show
    You cause absolute havoc in the tent, summoning two giant badgers, an axe beak, a cow, an elk, a giant bat, a giant lizard and a velociraptor. The ritual falls apart immediately, as the chanting spellcasters scatter in all directions and crash into various obstacles. Several candles are sent flying into flammable materials and enough tent posts are knocked down that the whole thing starts to collapse in on itself...

You have a split second to react before you get swamped in tentcloth!

Show
    "Shall we go to the palace, then?" Cloverfield offers. "You could say hello to the humans while you're there, if you like."

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

18. - Top - End - #108

GreenSorcererElf

Show

With a last look around the now much happier garden, Violet directs her smile back to Cloverfield. "Ok! And maybe we'll see Astra along the way, so we can tell her!"
    Not really remembering the way to the palace, Violet prepares to follow Cloverfield and look at everything as she goes.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Astra nods sadly to Mimsie. "Unfortunately something similar to this happened to a great tree that was, in fact, some kind of gateway to another plane! Disguised demons like that got close and cut it with a cursed dagger..."

She nods to Keit and Tuck with a smile that grows larger, about to say that also sounded like a good idea until Archibald brought up a potential problem.

"Well.. I think that for starting off, you've been together in each other's presence for a while. But hey, you never know what level of subterfuge they might go to! You're probably safe assuming each of you is fine.. that is, until you lose sight of each other. But just in case, I'm sure there must be some way to test it. Come to think of it, did I mean devils when I said demons?"

Astra racks her brain trying to think if there was some kind of distinction, and thinking wasn't there some kind of material they didn't like?

knowledge religion: (1d20+1)[18]

knowledge arcana: (1d20+4)[20]

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, it seems his plan had succeeded, Kor thought as he watched chaos erupt, feeling some satisfaction. Though now it looked he might be trapped!

Shifting quickly into a first form that came to mind, a big bear, hopefully big enough to hold the tent up for a while so others could escape. The bear's claws and teeth should probably be enough to make some faerie-sized holes into the cloth too.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    You follow Cloverfield to the Palace, and meet up with Kyu in the foyer. "Hello Violet!" She chirps, hugging you tight. You can see she has already acquired several new ribbons, which she wears with an almost excessive amount of pride.

Astra isn't around, but Kyu tells you she probably went to the Special Department of Miscellaneous Business, a guild to which they both belong. Astra must have had some... miscellaneous business... to take care of.

"I can send someone for her, if you like," Cloverfield offers. "You probably want to see the children, non?"

Show
    Rearing up on your ursine legs, you try to hold the collapsing marquee open long enough for everyone to escape. It isn't easy; the tent is large and heavy, and flames are starting to lick at your fur... please make a Constitution check!

Show
    "Hrm, yes, it's unlikely that there's a spy among us right now..." Archibald agrees. "Why don't we choose a code phrase that we can use if anything like this comes up during the hunt. Even if it's not demons, the other court may well try to play some tricks on us."

Bruno offers, "okay, idea: if you want to check whether someone is one of us, say to them 'wow, your skin looks great!' and then, if you're one of us, you reply 'oh thanks, I moisturise with nymph tears twice a day.' What do you think?" He puts on the biggest, whitest grin you've seen in years.

Meanwhile, your memory drags up a good amount of information on fiends. You know that devils hail from the Nine Hells of Baator, the lawful evil plane, and demons come from the Infinite Layers of the Abyss, the chaotic evil plane. As such, the two species represent very different versions of evil. Devils are organised, strategic and methodical in their quest to bring the most misery to the greatest number of souls, whereas demons are violent, savage and terrifying, caring only about satisfying their own vile urges. You have heard that devils will usually honour a deal, if you can make them agree to it, and that they are also vulnerable to silvered weapons. However, it was definitely demons that attacked the Circle of Yeven, not devils.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

22. - Top - End - #112

GreenSorcererElf

Show

Cheerfully following Cloverfield to the Palace(And eagerly looking around at the many new sights, sounds, and smells), Violet's taken off guard by the sudden hug of Kyu, as the Palace was quite distracting. A good surprise, and Violet returns the hug, with a smile, and a chirped "Hi Kyu! You found new ribbons! They're lovely! And they go so well with your outfit!"
    Sadly, gossip has to take a backseat as Cloverfield subtly redirects the conversation to Astra's whereabouts.
    Violet's smile quickly turns to Cloverfield as she makes her offer, and Violet nods even as she responds. "That would be wonderful! Astra'll definitely want to know so she can visit too, and it'd be fantastic to see the children!" Her smile seems to grow even more excited as she speaks, and her brain catches up to her words.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Wow, burning fur really didn't smell very good... Kor was glad he wasn't hairy normally. And if he didn't get trapped himself, at least there wouldn't be any permanent damage, but it still hurt! The bear-shaped dragon did his best to stay still and standing, growling in frustration.

Show
    Con check: (d20+2)[19]

So I didn't specify exact bear type, but looks like black bear's the best Kor can do now.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    With much hope and encouragement, Astra says, "A pass code? That's a great idea!"

Although Bruno's suggestion is a little strange. "Uh.. maybe? That seems oddly specific.. and I can't help but think someone else might actually say that..." She grins at the faerie.

"What else could I tell you? Hmm. Well a disguise like theirs would certainly use magic. I don't suppose any of you know how to detect magic auras? It's a fairly simple spell..." Of course this was coming from her, a somewhat more experienced wizard. "If it looks like their entire being is shrouded in an illusion spell, there's almost certainly something to watch out for!"

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Shockingly, none of these five are spellcasters. Beyond their innate ability to cast faerie fire, they have no magic at all. "But you're a wizard! We can rely on you for that sort of thing... right?"

Show
    Your strength holds, and the faeries escape unscathed. Now, in the open air, they look around in confusion. First you unleashed an assortment of beasts on their ritual, then you saved them - the sense that you get is that they aren't sure whether you're friend or foe. Eventually their leader, Lord Bumblegrove, staggers his way to the front. He's an old faerie, long of beard, wearing brightly coloured finery. "What is the meaning of this?!" He huffs.

Show
    Cloverfield sends a young faerie to get Astra, then takes you to the children. They have a dedicated wing of the palace, which is clearly protected with some powerful wards. You can almost feel the magic pressing down on you when you walk through the door. Inside, you head down a corridor, past recreation rooms, education rooms, a canteen and a gym. It's nicely appointed, but also kind of eerie, very much like a doll's house except that everything is larger than the faeries who built it, instead of smaller.

The children are in a dressing room, getting changed into some fancy outfits. The dresses are frilly and lacy, in the colours of a golden sunrise, and the children look rather stiff. Tadd is fussing at his sleeves, succeeding only in messing them up even more, while Lucinda can't seem to get her hair to stay where she wants it. When they see you, they all rush over, each wanting your attention in their own way.

They're all talking at the same time, and you're badly outnumbered. You hear a jumble of:
    "Look at this bracelet I made!"
    "Raven stole my shoe!"
    "Help me practice my speech for when Jurgen comes back!"
    "I did not!"
    "Do your thing with the flowers again!"

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Astra stammers, "W-well, n-not if I'm not going with you..." and she feels rather guilty about it. She almost felt they were doomed, with or without her.

"And.. for the purpose of this exercise, I'm all poisoned and nearly incapacitated, remember?"

"What if I made some scrolls? Could you at least make use of one of those? Maybe I could.. um.. try to make it easier to use??"

27. - Top - End - #117

GreenSorcererElf

Show

Cheerfully following Cloverfield through the palace(And looking at the many wonderful decorations and rearranging flower vases to be more equitable), Violet slows for a few moments as she feels the pressure from walking through the door, and looks at Cloverfield, more than a bit confused. But with no direction forthcoming, after another moment, she continues following her guide. Wow... they've got lots of REALLY big things! But it's all... off. Maybe they're happy like this?

Reaching the children, and hearing their indecipherable greeting, Violet smiles at them, her face almost lighting up with the brilliance of it, before she replies. "Hi! Those are really fancy clothes! And you've heard the good news? But one at a time, please, I can only hear so much! And it's wonderful to see you again!"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Despite losing the intimidation factor, Kor decides to shift back from a bear to a dragon, since he was hoping talking would resolve this.

Kor mutters his thanks in Druidic to the fey spirits wearing the animal skins, and lets them go. If these guys decided to attack him, Kor figured he'd just bolt. At least nobody had tried to attack him just yet.

"Oh, um hello there. I'm Kor... Maybe you've heard of me?" At least rest of the court had. "Anyway, I was kinda looking to talk with you, just helping Bronzeshield with preparations for the hunt and all, and noticed you might have been trying to sorta summon a demon... So I intervened." Kor thought they were just doing it accidentally, though even the original spell was probably suspect in that case, but he was still intently trying to watch Bumblegrove's reactions as he spoke. "...you weren't trying to do it on purpose, right?"

Show
    Insight: (d20+4)[7], Kor's watching how the fey lord reacts when he mentions demons.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    All agree that it would be really useful if you could prepare some scrolls. They should be able to figure out how to use 1st level spell scrolls at least.

At this point, a messenger arrives from the Palace. "Astra Glitterwing? Mistress Cloverfield requests your presence at the Palace. Your colleagues are there with the human children."

Show
    Transformed back into a fey creature and with your sash clearly visible, the faeries are more accepting of your presence. Bumblegrove answers your question: "wha...? Summon a demon? Psh, no. We were just trying to tap into some abyssal energy to give our men demonic strength! Perfectly safe; wrote the ritual myself don't you know!" His energetic style of speaking makes it hard to judge his true intent, but you're pretty confident the ritual was going to summon a demon. He probably just doesn't realise.

Show
    It takes a while for them to settle down, but eventually Jack pulls rank and demands your attention first. "It's good to be home. The other court was so boring, but thanks to you and your friends, we got to have a proper adventure. I was just thinking, do you want to give a speech at Jurgen's ceremony?"

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "Oh, the children! Did they start the thing yet?" she says, forgetting what exactly they were doing. Bringing Jurgen back. But didn't they say "reincarnation" before...?

She turns back to the other faeries. "Um. So, I'll be back later I guess. Or better yet, I'll have a scroll or two made for you by then, ok? Where and when do we meet next?"

(after that, let's head over to the palace!)