New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: A Faerie Affair - IC IV: Dragon with Butterfly Wings

Violet smiles merrily at Petey's question. "Everyone like me I've met could! It's a really neat trick, and really nice! It's really sad if you have to hurt a flower to make a garland, but sometimes, it's ok, because the flower is done, but it's much nicer being able to make them!"

As the gardening begins, Violet does her best to help them, trying to teach them how to plant the seeds properly, so they're not too deep, or too shallow. How much(And how often) they should water, what plants to grow near each other, because they get along really well, and what plants to not, because they really don't. How to help inspire people, and what are the sorts of music that go with that, and more.

Towards the end of the gardening session, when Misty asks her question, Violet falls silent for a few moments, freezing in place, while she thinks. "Flowers! They're really nice, and pretty, and bees love them! And mosses and ferns are really nice too, and pines are lots of fun!" She pauses for a moment, as she realizes she's covered all her bases, before she nods, smiling. "It's always really nice to watch plants grow, because you're helping someone become their best self, and that's always nice!"
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Astra looks the cabinet over, finding it fairly ordinary. Hardwood construction, at least a few decades old, eminently suitable for holding written records. The lock is a some kind of fiendish puzzle with lots of gears and sliding pieces (it will require a DC 16 Intelligence (Investigation) check to figure out how to open it) and you would have to guess that Tadd doesn't quite have the brainpower to figure it out. He's probably better with locks that can be opened using traditional picks.

The children find Kor's sage advice fascinating. With having only faeries to educate them, they probably aren't getting a very balanced picture of the world... when he mentions some people being jerks, Lucinda says "oh, I've heard about them. The Shadow Druids, right? Have you ever met one?"

In the garden, things go pretty smoothly. Once you get to the point where you've done all you can to help, Juniper stops and says, "thanks for helping us out here. Is there anything we can do to repay you?"
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Astra
    Show
    To be honest, Astra probably doesn't have the brainpower to solve it either...

investigation: (1d20+1)[20]

4. - Top - End - #184

GreenSorcererElf

As she was helping the children to finish cleaning away their tools, and helping them take one last check over the garden(For today), Violet turns, and smiles at Juniper as he approaches. His inspirational efforts had surely helped Petey and Misty garden better, letting them do just that little bit better than they might have done otherwise, but then he asks the question, and she freezes, clearly surprised, and more than a little confused by it. But she tries to think through it for a few moments, before her confused look turns into a smile, and she responds. "I know! Try to make the world a nicer place! It's lots of fun, and you get to help people, and see all sorts of wonderful, amazing things! It's not big things, it's small things." After her excited explanation, she turns her beaming smile on Juniper, to see how he'd respond.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Well I've heard about those guys... I guess sometimes the elder druids have talks with them, but we don't really wanna do whatever they've demanded. Guess they'd like us to be more, uh, direct, but we haven't really come to blows or anything. We like to be more subtle, like if some groups going somewhere we don't want them to go, we raise mists or make some path hard to travel. Charm them so we can just politely to ask them to leave. One group of lumberjacks got scared away when we sent squirrels to scream at them!"

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    As it turns out, you probably can open this lock. Looking at it, you see the trick almost immediately - maybe whoever designed it thinks in the same ways you do - the only question is whether you'll share this insight with Tadd...

Spoiler: Kor
    Show
    "That's so wise," she says, "being all subtle. I'll have to meditate on that a bit more... oh! Do you have any tips for meditation? I've read a bit about it, but no one's really taught us how."

Spoiler: Violet
    Show
    "Hmm. That seems like quite a big thing!" He jokes. "Ah, but it's not so different from what I would have been doing anyway. So I promise I'll do my best."

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

7. - Top - End - #187

GreenSorcererElf

Violet's cheerful smile seems to brighten a bit more at Juniper's response, before she looks to Misty and Petey, to see if they had any concerns.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2020-05-15 at 04:31 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Astra considers telling Tadd, although... she wasn't sure if she should. Deciding to put off the decision for now, she simply opens the lock fairly quickly with a shrug. Perhaps he'd see her opening it and figure it out from there?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-05-16 at 01:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor's chest puffs from the compliments. "Well you should always listen when a dragon gives advice." He sounded a little smug.

"Oh, meditation! That can be a bit tricky, since you have to relax, but you can't fall asleep, or you might get hit with a stick. I just need an inspiring place, and then I just focus on one thing, like rustling of leaves or the bubble of a brook. Or you know, if you're lucky the smell of a fresh pie. Whatever helps you focus!"

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Tadd is an observant kid, but he can only look on in confusion. It seems your tiny pixie hands are too quick for him. "Oh.... huh? That was quick..." He doesn't push for an explanation though, instead asking: "so, what's inside?"

Inside there are dozens of paper files. Nice, thick, off-white paper - probably made with alchemy, you'd guess. Anyway, the files are named; you can see all 9 of the human (or... 8 humans and 1 halfling, now) children in here, among others you don't recognise.

As for Violet and Kor, well, the children with you seem happy enough. You've answered their questions with plenty of wisdom and kindness, so you feel like things will be fine with them now.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2020-05-20 at 04:12 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "Oh, these just appear to be information about all you children," Astra says.

(Why don't I take a look at Jurgen aka Juniper's file, and then some other file that is none of the nine children?)

12. - Top - End - #192

GreenSorcererElf

With her cheerful smile still shining, Violet looks over towards the door, before looking back at the children once more. "Maybe we could find some of the others? We could show them the amazing garden, and I could give them their garlands too?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Happy that the kids were so eager to listen to some draconic/druidic wisdom, Kor decides it might be good time to go meet up with Astra and Violet. He waves the kids goodbye, and darts off, also casting Invisibility on himself for a dramatic effect.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Juniper's file, which obviously hasn't yet been updated to reflect his reincarnation, contains lots and lots of details. It says he was born in Highmoon in 1438 and taken immediately after his birth by a green hag. Apparently he was a firstborn child, who had been promised to the hag in exchange for a magical cloak. King Soren adopted him in 1450, and has kept him at the Palace of Jewels ever since. There are some reports about his human family... his parents are both dead, but he has three little sisters out there somewhere. The faeries were clearly aware of his bardic potential, but they are certainly taking their time about nurturing it. Beyond that, there are extensive notes about him: periodic measurements of height and weight (which haven't changed much over the years), likes and dislikes, allergies, etc. Apparently he had the pixie pox a few years ago.

The second file you pull at random is pretty old. It relates to a child named Vincent Falone who was apparently kidnapped from his home in Alaghôn and brought to the enclave some 260 years ago. It seems he was targetted for his excellent dancing skills, which were famed all around the Sea of Fallen Stars. He lived in the Palace for nearly 90 years before dying in a wild magic accident.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Astra chuckles, "Yep, it's definitely just records about you lot. Probably not much to find out here.. since you all know each other so well."

She looks at Tadd in a stern sort of way, like a disapproving teacher, "Or did you really want to read about children that died hundreds of years ago?"

Persuasion: (1d20+5)[7]

16. - Top - End - #196

GreenSorcererElf

After looking for everyone else for a minute or so, Violet has the brilliant idea to check the kitchen in search of other hungry, tired children, and as she flits through the doorway with a smile, her search is rewarded by a wonderful sight: Kor, Kyu, Raven, Anja, Jack, Mitch, and Lucinda, all lazing around after a hard day's fun.

With Petey, Misty, and Juniper(All in their wonderful garlands) moving to join them, Violet cheerfully waves to the tired children. "Hi! We've been having lots of fun, but it seemed like a time for a break, and then you're here, so that means I can give you your presents too!"

Not waiting to give them a chance to respond, Violet flits over, and settles on the headrest behind Raven, and promptly starts weaving a garland from yellow roses, and white camellia, before she places it on Raven's head, where it fits perfectly. "May you always find the joy in your friendships!"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Your impression of a stern teacher goes about as well as you'd expect, being a tiny pixie with more mass in your hair than your body... but it turns out Tadd doesn't particularly want to hear about kids who died years ago. He screws up his face. "Eww, no. That's weird. But what does it say about meeeee?" He whines.

Spoiler: Violet & Kor
    Show
    Raven just glares at you, expression blank. Jack, his mouth full of fried bread, says "sweet, presents! Do me next!"

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Astra grins and says, "I'm sure only good things and how you're quite the sneak. I bet they were even expecting you to find these. Let's see here..."

She digs around, finding Tadd's file, and reads it along with him.

19. - Top - End - #199

GreenSorcererElf

Violet returns Raven's glare with a cheerful smile, before flitting over towards Jack, a garland already beginning to form in her nimble fingers. The garlic flowers, the yellow poppies, and the careful background of palm leaves swiftly come together, just in time to slip onto Jack's head. "May you always find the courage to see you through to success." With that, she looks to Anja, Mitch, and Lucinda, clearly looking for her next garlanf.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Jack's impressed with his garland, stroking the palm leaves and asking "wow, what even are these? They're massive!"

Show
    Meanwhile, Tadd's file does indeed include cautions about his sneakiness and a reminder to the reader to make sure the drawers are kept locked. His history, though, is pretty tragic. Apparently he was cast out by his own family (who are petty nobles) at the age of 6, forcing him to live as a street urchin in Shadowdale. Eventually the town watch got so sick of him that they actually offered to pay some faeries to spirit him away. He doesn't seem to remember any of this... which isn't surprising when you come to the 'medical' records. Apparently his keepers here have magically erased his memories. "I knew it!" He says, angrily. "Miss Astra, you have to help me get out of here. My parents are still alive; I need to go and... er... confront them, yeah!"

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

21. - Top - End - #201

GreenSorcererElf

At Jack's interest, she smiles cheerfully. "They're palms! They're really, really big, and they always hope for success."
    With that, she swiftly flits off to Lucinda's shoulder, with another garland swiftly forming between her nimble fingers, this time of pale pink roses delicately peeking through carefully folded fern leaves. Placing it onto Lucinda's head, the joyful petal merrily gives her blessings. "May you always find joy in your graceful magic."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Astra sighs. "Oh, Tadd.. I'm sorry...."

When the boy angrily reacts to the information and states his intentions, Astra says, taken aback, "Y-you want to what?? Tadd, this happened thirty years ago! What would you say to them? What would you even do?"

Trying to be more reassuring she says, "I know I would be angry if this happened to me, but.. I have a good relationship with my family, and my community. There is not a doubt in my mind that we love each other. But as for you.. I cannot see any good outcome in doing this: only heartbreak and disappointment."

"What is the real problem, Tadd? Are you not happy here, with your friends? Do the Faeries treat you poorly?"

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    The pink roses look splendid against Lucinda's dark hair. She bows slightly. "Thank you, ma'am."

Show
    Tadd struggles to find a satisfactory answer to your sharp questions. "Well I... I need to..." He screws up his face. "They... they sold me off! That's wrong, isn't it? So I need to get revenge, right?"

"I mean, sure, it's not so bad here, but... this isn't where I belong. I've always felt like that, but I never knew why until now."

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    If Astra could give the boy a hug, she would, but she was far too small for that. Instead she flies closer and outstretches a hand to touch his shoulder. "I do feel like it's wrong. But the Faeries here.. they paid for you. They wanted you."

"If you feel you don't belong, I think you need to take this up with Master Lionstar or King Soren. I am sure they all have your happiness in mind and may find something for you to do! Just um.. you probably shouldn't mention you read these files."

"And this isn't a rhetorical question. Where do you think you would belong, anyway?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-05-31 at 07:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

GreenSorcererElf

Violet offers Lucinda her best smile in response, before she flits over towards Anja, with another garland, this time, of pale pink roses, as well as white roses, already forming between her swiftly moving fingers. By the time she reaches the quiet girl, the garland's ready to go, and is swiftly placed over Anja's hair, just above her ears. "Have fun!"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    He gets all pensive when you ask him where he thinks he belongs. Eventually he says: "I dunno. I just want to be free, you know. Somewhere with a wide open sky. And I want a horse! I remember when I was little, I had a pony..." he tries to remember its name. "Cupcake! If I had a horse, I could go anywhere. Maybe then I'd find my place.

But I don't think the faeries will just let me go, will they?"

Anja smiles gently at Violet. "I do," she assures you.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

27. - Top - End - #207

GreenSorcererElf

Violet smiles cheerfully at Anja as she answers. "Yay! It's always important to have fun." With a firm nod, she flits off, towards Mitch, the last garlandless giant child, her fingers weaving another garland from flowers that just seem to be there as she goes. The flowers forming the garland are delicate yellow roses, while the core of the garland is formed from holly, a delicate mix of leaves(With the spikes carefully angled away from the wearer), and the small white holly flowers. Once the garland's finished, Violet carefully places it on Mitch's head, smiling as she does. "May you always be able to keep your friends safe."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Astra shrugs uneasily and says, "Well, maybe. I rather doubt if you were very insistent on leaving they would actually keep you. But I think they would at least want to make sure that you won't die out there. Even without drow, there might be dangers, as well as just needing to survive in general. Finding food, water, shelter, or getting along with people in a town. I hope you can manage that..." She grins at Tadd.

"What about your friends? Are you going to miss them?"

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "Uuuu..." for all his talk about wanting to live free, you are of course correct that he's no survivalist. "I guess it would be pretty tough if I was all alone. And there would be no one to keep watch while I was asleep... I'll have to see if anyone wants to come with me. I can't be the only one who gets bored in this stupid palace." His eyes turn back to the door. "Let's go back, before anyone catches us. We've got what we came for."

Mitch frowns. "I'll try, miss Violet."

Jack puts a hand on his shoulder, saying "yeah, you and me, man. We'll be like knights in shining armour!"

Meanwhile, Ludinda rolls her eyes. "I feel safer already..."

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

30. - Top - End - #210

GreenSorcererElf

Violet smiles cheerfully at Mitch's words. "You'll do wonderfully!" As Jack and Lucinda join in on the agreement, Violet practically beams her happiness, before she looks around, and doesn't see Tadd, the only remaining non-gardanded child..
    "Does anyone know where Tadd is?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss