New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Probably crazy death battle question

Ok, so the latest death battle had might gai versus all might. If you dont know who they are, its not important really, what IS important is, in the death battles they try to figure out numbers for character feats like shattering mountains and blowing up planets and such. In this case they avoided it for one move but I was curious if it could be explained here. In his final fight, might gai uses his ultimate attack (called night gai..... shut up YOU have a stupid name! ) And aside from looking totally badass, his attack comes in the form of a kick that is so strong it warps space in front of it. My question is, can you even reduce something like that to measurable numbers? For reference, here is the scene Can you reduce that to newtons or joules? Primarily going by the warping space feat not the damage done to the landscape.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Probably crazy death battle question

My foot is warping space right now. Time, too. And it's just sitting there at the end of my leg. That's what gravity is.

If you want to just do back-of-napkin math you have two options. The first is to ignore all the problems that would be caused by having him going at relativistic speeds, both the way that both time and distances would be messed with and the sheer amount of damage that you'd take trying that in an atmosphere, and ask yourself how much energy you'd have to put into a human mass to get it up to relativistic speeds. Using .9c as our target, we're looking at the neighborhood of 1020 joules. Checking my math on wolframalpha, it says that's about the total energy consumed in the U.S. in 2001.

The other alternative is to assume that enough energy got put into his foot to let it warp space on the scale of a black hole. Assuming we're packing that much mass together, we need ~1027 kg to have a black hole with a radius equal to 1/2 a foot. Roughly half the mass of jupiter. Using e=mc2 to convert that into energy, you're looking at ~1044 joules. Roughly what you'd get out of a supernova.

Both of these would likely be fatal to the target long before they connected, but only in the same way that they'd be fatal to the user and anybody else in a decent radius as well. Anime and comics have only passing relations with what massive quantities of energy like this really mean.
    Last edited by Anymage; 2019-12-19 at 10:41 PM. Reason: cleanup editing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Probably crazy death battle question

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    My foot is warping space right now. Time, too. And it's just sitting there at the end of my leg. That's what gravity is.

If you want to just do back-of-napkin math you have two options. The first is to ignore all the problems that would be caused by having him going at relativistic speeds, both the way that both time and distances would be messed with and the sheer amount of damage that you'd take trying that in an atmosphere, and ask yourself how much energy you'd have to put into a human mass to get it up to relativistic speeds. Using .9c as our target, we're looking at the neighborhood of 1020 joules. Checking my math on wolframalpha, it says that's about the total energy consumed in the U.S. in 2001.

The other alternative is to assume that enough energy got put into his foot to let it warp space on the scale of a black hole. Assuming we're packing that much mass together, we need ~1027 kg to have a black hole with a radius equal to 1/2 a foot. Roughly half the mass of jupiter. Using e=mc2 to convert that into energy, you're looking at ~1044 joules. Roughly what you'd get out of a supernova.

Both of these would likely be fatal to the target long before they connected, but only in the same way that they'd be fatal to the user and anybody else in a decent radius as well. Anime and comics have only passing relations with what massive quantities of energy like this really mean.
    Considering several ninja in setting have light speed feats.... yeah, gotta agree. This was a ninja who could "fly" by kicking the air so hard it temporarily compresses into a solid surface to launch himself off of. Who managed to punch the air so hard he created 6 pillars of somehow never ending air from all cardinal directions to pin his enemy in place. Yeah, death battle kind of has to ignore all the way that physics say the actual effect of an attack is the total destruction of the world and just focus on a singular effect of the attack. Like in this case, warping a significant amount of space through the sheer power of this athletes foot. And even wilder, we can only assume it was intentional and controlled as it specifically warped his opponents defenses out of the way of his super kick of doom.

Lets not even bother trying to figure out how that works as this was literally the one and only time he would ever get the chance to even TRY this move as opening the last gate, which is all that allows him to do this stuff, is fatal within minutes. But yeah, so we are talking roughly supernova levels of energy/force involved in that kick? Thanks, I figured it was something batspit crazy like that.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."