Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default MightyLemur's Paper Chase OOC

Greetings MightyLemur, and welcome back to the world of Call of Cthulhu, a world of horror, mystery, and wonder. Here you shall take on the role of an intrepid Investigator of the Unknown (or Investigator for short), while I shall be the Keeper of Arcane Lore (or the Keeper).

Now that you've understood the basic rules and themeatic aspects of the game, having played the introductory adventure. Prepare to journey onto your first freeform scenario -- Paper Chase! This is a mystery set in 1921 where you are the main character. For the purposes of guiding you, I may very rarely make small notes at the bottom of my posts, but these will be far more rare than before, so I hope you're prepared to think for yourself!

Anyway, without further ado, tuck yourself in, grab a bowl of popcorn, and join the In-Character!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: MightyLemur's Paper Chase OOC

Now, I have a quick question for you to answer: What emotion best describes Collin? Find one primary emotion he expresses. Try to use a colorful, specific word to describe it. For instance, instead of “angry” you might say “vengeful” or “raging,” or instead of happy you might say “cheerful” or “exalting."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I’m going to go with “intuitive,” Collin goes with gut feelings as much as he does knowledge based decisions.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That makes sense. What about instead of himself, what emotion does Collin evoke in others? How do others react to him? Does he impress, scare, calm, excite, or perhaps annoy? Again try to find the most specific term you can. Is this reaction different between his friends and enemies? If so, what is the difference, and why is that difference there?

5. - Top - End - #5

SwashbucklerGuy

For those who do not know Collin very well, he seems to be a rather... confusing person, although to those who do, and sometimes those he teaches, he can be quite inspirational. I'm not sure if this entirely fits the prompt, but here you go anyway :P

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I mean, I guess so... but now what about what Collin needs the most? If he had everything he needed, why go on an adventure? Most people’s needs are fairly universal, although they can change over time. Common needs are survival, security, companionship, esteem, romance, family, or wisdom. Consider what Collin's starting needs are, and where you want them to be by the end of the semi-campaign. This is not a goal (so it shouldn't be like "He wants to help people"), but something he needs (maybe instead, "He needs to help people so that way he feels validated as a human being" or "He needs to help because he's addicted to the rush he gets from people thanking him" these are two wildly different needs, but they emerge from the same initial goal). For example, someone might start off with a basic need for physical security, but then that expands into companionship and security in one's relationships, etc...

7. - Top - End - #7

SwashbucklerGuy

Collin has an almost unquenchable desire to experience or learn something new, otherwise he feels that he’s wasting himself and his potential.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So now that we've established what they need as a human, let's figure out what their goal is. You already listed something that Collin wants, but is that his actual goal? His goal should be the principle, underlying motivation for everything he thinks, says, and does. If he was lying on the brink of death, what makes him cling to life? What could Collin be unable to achieve that he would consider worse than death? This goal is often broad, and sometimes unachievable. Whatever the nature of the goal, it should be something he could strive for his entire life. The best goals are ones that can be threatened, as they will help create more compelling adventures. Ideas include justice, revenge, protecting loved ones, redeeming one’s self, or gaining some kind of power. When you think of something, ask yourself “why?” to make sure it isn’t because of some larger, more important goal.

9. - Top - End - #9

SwashbucklerGuy

Collin wants to make a discovery that would change the course of history, no matter how ambitious it may seem. He has turned partly to the abnormal and supernatural things, trying to find an explanation for the unexplainable.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now, the final question: How does your Collin believe that he can change the course of history? This method to achieving this rather... abstract thing (after all, qualifying what "changes the course of history" can be hard) be equally insubstantial. Collin's methods should be strongly tied to beliefs (or lack of beliefs), and primarily be a decision of lifestyle. A character bent on revenge might consider perfecting a fighting discipline, while a character devoted to a cause might consider a religious or philosophical doctrine.

11. - Top - End - #11

SwashbucklerGuy

Sorry, took a while for me to properly answer this and figure out exactly what it meant... this might be what you’re looking for:

He believes that he can achieve this by investigating the abnormal, using his studies of mythology to hopefully aid him, and simply teaching as a way to support himself financially.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This is fair, would you consider your character to be more a professor of Mythology or History though, because I have you down as History, but either one works just fine.

Anyway... now for my...

Congratulations! You've done it! You've managed to beat Paper Chase. Your character has understood that there is more to this world than just us humans, and they might not ever be the same. Nevertheless, they will improve!

If you had fun we can continue into the next adventure: The Haunting. You may also read all of the other forums relating to Paper Chase here at the Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained.

Note that The Haunting is actually the first game where there shall be two of you, so I'm going to be pairing you up with whomever I deem fit. It will, in all likelihood be KoboldEmperor, but that may change. In the meantime, hang tight, and I'll set stuff up soon when all is ready!

13. - Top - End - #13

SwashbucklerGuy

I personally see him more as mythology, but history will be fine, as he is still knowledgeable in that area

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

No, mythology works just fine!