Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Zene's Paper Chase OOC

Greetings Zene, and welcome back to the world of Call of Cthulhu, a world of horror, mystery, and wonder. Here you shall take on the role of an intrepid Investigator of the Unknown (or Investigator for short), while I shall be the Keeper of Arcane Lore (or the Keeper).

Now that you've understood the basic rules and themeatic aspects of the game, having played the introductory adventure. Prepare to journey onto your first freeform scenario -- Paper Chase! This is a mystery set in 1921 where you are the main character. For the purposes of guiding you, I may very rarely make small notes at the bottom of my posts, but these will be far more rare than before, so I hope you're prepared to think for yourself!

Anyway, without further ado, tuck yourself in, grab a bowl of popcorn, and join the In-Character!

I'm also going to note a couple (yes that is just a link to a specific section of another video) of videos that cover recovery and improvement, given that's what's happening right now.

Spoiler: Repository of Video Links I've Sent So Far
    Show
    Introduction: Seth CJ
    Skills and Characteristics: Seth CJ
    Recovery and Improvement: Seth CJ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Zene's Paper Chase OOC

Also, just a personal request, but could you bold and colorize your text in some fashion to help differentiate from actions (you can also italicize your thoughts to help as well).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Hey, just saw this. Yeah so thoughts in italics, speaking in bold, actions/commentary in regular? That works

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Basically, yes !

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now, I have a quick question for you to answer: What emotion best describes Yitzhak? Find one primary emotion she expresses. Try to use a colorful, specific word to describe it. For instance, instead of “angry” you might say “vengeful” or “raging,” or instead of happy you might say “cheerful” or “exalting."

6. - Top - End - #6

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    Now, I have a quick question for you to answer: What emotion best describes Yitzhak? Find one primary emotion she expresses. Try to use a colorful, specific word to describe it. For instance, instead of “angry” you might say “vengeful” or “raging,” or instead of happy you might say “cheerful” or “exalting."
    “Questioning” —does that work? If not, “Uncertainty?”

And just to make sure I’m thinking of this right—you mean just in general, *not* his main emotion at this point of the story, right?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zene View Post
    “Questioning” —does that work? If not, “Uncertainty?”

And just to make sure I’m thinking of this right—you mean just in general, *not* his main emotion at this point of the story, right?
    Yeah, that works ok. Also, yes, I do mean in general. Now for the next question: What emotion does Yitzhak evoke in others? How do others react to him? Does he impress, scare, calm, excite, or perhaps annoy? Again try to find the most specific term you can. Is this reaction different between his friends and enemies? If so, what is the difference, and why is that difference there?

8. - Top - End - #8

DruidGirl

For others, he has a soothing presence, evoking “calm”; based on his demeanor and tone. Part of why he would have made a good Rabbi, though it’s helped him somewhat in his reporting too.

For close friends, or really anyone that knows him well: “Respected”, and/or maybe “Introspective”. Izzy —while not great at small talk—has a flair for deep conversation, and is very interested in his friends’ thoughts and experiences —but also challenges/asks questions about those thoughts and experiences, in ways they might not have thought of before.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Intriguing, I see, now what about what Yitzhak needs the most? If he had everything he needed, why go on an adventure? Most people’s needs are fairly universal, although they can change over time. Common needs are survival, security, companionship, esteem, romance, family, or wisdom. Consider what Yitzhak's starting needs are, and where you want them to be by the end of the semi-campaign. This is not a goal (so it shouldn't be like "He wants to help people"), but something he needs (maybe instead, "He needs to help people so that way he feels validated as a human being" or "He needs to help because he's addicted to the rush he gets from people thanking him" these are two wildly different needs, but they emerge from the same initial goal). For example, someone might start off with a basic need for physical security, but then that expands into companionship and security in one's relationships, etc...

10. - Top - End - #10

DruidGirl

Well, Izzy is a bit lost —what he’s dedicated most of his life to, hoping to find good strong answers at the bottom, ended up ringing hollow for him.

So he most likely thinks he’s looking for a greater truth or meaning for his life (ie wisdom). But (though he doesn’t necessarily realize this), it’s unlikely he’ll actually find a satisfying ultimate truth or personal meaning (at least in the CoC-verse, I’m guessing?); so subconsciously, what he probably actually needs is external validation —esteem from others.

By end of campaign, hopefully he has esteem from others, and as a result doesn’t feel so lost. At that point, he’ll probably be looking for security, from a social perspective. Either a family, or a relatively stable close social network where he can continue to feel valued.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-10 at 03:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    you are also Jewish, and the first Jewish family in NH was apparently in 1920, so Jews are not exactly a... regular sight
    If I ever step over the line in any way shape or form, let me know. I want to preserve as much immersion as possible, but if it ever creates an uncomfortable element, please inform me. There will be some scenarios where racism is a prominent feature and I need to know how comfortable people are dealing with that vile truth.

12. - Top - End - #12

DruidGirl

Ok will do. No problem at all so far.

13. - Top - End - #13

DruidGirl

And that was really interesting about the Jews in NH! I’m kinda surprised given all the waves of immigration through NYC starting in the late 1800s. But I guess they were mostly sticking to the NYC area for a while

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And that was really interesting about the Jews in NH! I’m kinda surprised given all the waves of immigration through NYC starting in the late 1800s. But I guess they were mostly sticking to the NYC area for a while
    Ahhhh... scratch that, apparently that was limited to one region of NH. However, they're still a relatively small community, given that the first synagogue was in 1890. Dreadfully sorry about that, but for reference, NYC (city) had roughly 1.6 million jews in 1920 out of 5.6 million people whereas the entire state of New Hampshire had 3k out of 443k (29% vs. 0.7%). Soo.... yeah, pretty uncommon sight, especially in a small town like Arnoldsberg.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-12 at 02:22 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So now that we've established what they need as a human, let's figure out what their goal is. You already listed something that Yitzhak wants, but is that his actual goal? His goal should be the principle, underlying motivation for everything he thinks, says, and does. If he was lying on the brink of death, what makes him cling to life? What could Yitzhak lose that he would consider worse than death? This goal is often broad, and sometimes unachievable. Whatever the nature of the goal, it should be something he could strive for his entire life. The best goals are ones that can be threatened, as they will help create more compelling adventures. Ideas include justice, revenge, protecting loved ones, redeeming one’s self, or gaining some kind of power. When you think of something, ask yourself “why?” to make sure it isn’t because of some larger, more important goal.

16. - Top - End - #16

DruidGirl

Tough question. Still thinking on this one.

17. - Top - End - #17

DruidGirl

Not sure if this fits the bill... but maybe, Truth? Like deep truth, existential truth. The kind of truth advertised in religion -- who is god, why are we here, that kind of thing. Except he found it wasn't there. He's still held it up as an ideal, or a dream. The reason his next choice was a journalist, maybe, was because it was a shadow of that... uncovering lesser truths. But especially now that he's starting to see there's more out there, that maybe the mystical wasn't completely fantasy, he's starting to think it's a possibility again. Would losing out on the opportunity to find the truth be worse than death? Probably not, but realizing there is no real truth, no answers, might be as bad. Or if he found himself unable to pursue it (due to incarceration, insanity, etc.) would probably be a fate as bad as death. Maybe it would be even worse, since at least in death he might meet god....but to know there are answers out there, but he can't uncover them... that'd be awful for him.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-17 at 02:18 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Not sure if this fits the bill... but maybe, Truth? Like deep truth, existential truth. The kind of truth advertised in religion -- who is god, why are we here, that kind of thing. Except he found it wasn't there. He's still held it up as an ideal, or a dream. The reason his next choice was a journalist, maybe, was because it was a shadow of that... uncovering lesser truths. But especially now that he's starting to see there's more out there, that maybe the mystical wasn't completely fantasy, he's starting to think it's a possibility again. Would losing out on the opportunity to find the truth be worse than death? Probably not, but realizing there is no real truth, no answers, might be as bad. Or if he found himself unable to pursue it (due to incarceration, insanity, etc.) would probably be a fate as bad as death. Maybe it would be even worse, since at least in death he might meet god....
    I like it! Also I can imagine a special sense of desperation should Mr. Laskov find himself in a sanatorium... You've already somewhat answered this next one, but I'd like for you to think a bit about it as well (this is the final one for this thread, so answer this, make the improvement rolls, and we should be good).
    How does Yitzhak believe he can find existential truth? Because truth is kinda... ideological, the method to achieving it is sometimes equally insubstantial. Yitzhak's methods should be strongly tied to beliefs (or lack of beliefs as you discussed), and primarily be a decision of lifestyle. A character bent on revenge might consider perfecting a fighting discipline, while a character devoted to a cause might consider a religious or philosophical doctrine. Again, you've sort of answered this, but I'd also like to see an answer solely devoted to this question.

19. - Top - End - #19

DruidGirl

Izzy believes he can find his existential truth by questioning and finding answers.

He used to do that via study of holy books and commentary; and he still has the instinct for that, like if he found the right book or figured out the right way to interpret one, there’d be truth there. But he also figures if that were true, likely someone in his 4,000-year-old religion would have found it. Same goes for philosophy, and (so far).

So By the start of AtF, he’s probably looking to journalism (and meeting people outside his usual circles) as a long shot, figuring maybe the different perspectives will help; or maybe even stumbling upon a revelation. But after these first two adventures, he’s realizing there really is more out there than has been written down; possibly even that the mystical or divine are real. So he’d want to (skeptically) start investigating there. And with the Society, which seems to maybe have an inside track on some of this.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Congratulations! You've done it! You've managed to beat Paper Chase. Your character has understood that there is more to this world than just us humans, and they might not ever be the same. Nevertheless, they will improve, as can be seen here!

If you had fun we can continue into the next adventure: The Haunting. You may also read all of the other forums relating to Paper Chase here at the Society for the Exploration of the Unexplained.

I've mentioned this already, but note that The Haunting is actually the first game where there shall be two of you, so I'm going to be pairing you up with WindStruck. You can visit this here!