New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Thufir's Third Random Banter #224

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Looking around the website a bit, it seems they sell in the US through Lighthouse Health Products. I don't know if that's in all states, but you can get it online.

Obligatory disclaimer: I recommend this product purely on the basis that it tastes decent and has yet to do any perceptible damage to my mouth. I am not a dental professional. I cannot speak for the efficacy of any toothpaste.
    Good to know!

And while I have very few close friends, one of them is a prosthodontist. I'm not terribly concerned about efficacy, I can just run stuff by him if needed.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Why is this British rocket scientist American? It's really off putting, because the character is such an icon of British science fiction that the BBC parodied it on Radio 4 last year.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Why is this British rocket scientist American? It's really off putting, because the character is such an icon of British science fiction that the BBC parodied it on Radio 4 last year.
    Who? I haven't heard of anything like that.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianShovel View Post
    Who? I haven't heard of anything like that.
    They were played by a different actor in every serial. I might have been watching Quatermass...

Yes, I'm that weirdo who likes actual classic science fiction.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm the best movie reviewer in Giant In The Playground Forum. Kneel before Bartmanhomer.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

They were played by a different actor in every serial. I might have been watching Quatermass...

Yes, I'm that weirdo who likes actual classic science fiction.
    I would assume that you must be talking about Brian Donlevy playing Bernard Quatermass, in which case, you're actually wrong about them being different every time--he appeared in *two* separate movies as the character! (Always preferred Quatermass and the Pit, myself...).

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I would assume that you must be talking about Brian Donlevy playing Bernard Quatermass, in which case, you're actually wrong about them being different every time--he appeared in *two* separate movies as the character! (Always preferred Quatermass and the Pit, myself...).
    Except I said serial, different actor in each of the five serials.

Show

8. - Top - End - #308

BlackDragon

Except I said serial, different actor in each of the five serials.
    Odd, I don't see any other American actor who's played the role?

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Odd, I don't see any other American actor who's played the role?
    They wasn't saying "I'm watching a different American actor playing that role" merely "Two movies still isn't multiple serials, so I'm not wrong about the 'different actor in each serial' bit."

EDIT: Anonymouswizard, I hope it's okay that I spoke for you here. I also hope I'm correct in my clarification. Is it and am I?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-10-20 at 03:48 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    They wasn't saying "I'm watching a different American actor playing that role" merely "Two movies still isn't multiple serials, so I'm not wrong about the 'different actor in each serial' bit."
    Yep, completely right.

EDIT: Anonymouswizard, I hope it's okay that I spoke for you here. I also hope I'm correct in my clarification. Is it and am I?
    Yep and yep.

I'll note that The Quatermass (E)Xperiment is interesting because while many plots are about trying to defeat the alien, pretty much all the tension there comes from trying to find it. In the film it's very much vulnerable to ordinary weapons, while in the serial I hear they got it to commit suicide. The result is a much more interesting story, because it feels a lot less forced.

Show

11. - Top - End - #311
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, my car's "low tire pressure" light came on a few weeks ago, presumably due to the weather getting colder. I then discovered that (a) the design of that light looks kinda like the car is mooning you, (b) I somehow don't have a tire pressure gauge in this car (it's a fairly new car and not entirely mine - long story), and (c) I don't own an air compressor. I mean, I wasn't under the impression that I owned an air compressor until that point, it's more that this is the first time I have lived alone somewhere where it might make sense for me to own an air compressor since I have a garage now, and air compressors are the kind of thing that live in garages. I solved my immediate problem by going over to someone else's house and using their air compressor, but made a note to buy myself one since I have a garage now.

So today, I looked online at the Harbor Freight ads, to get an idea of what a lower-end air compressor should cost. They appear to come in kinds, with five different ones being on sale right now for prices ranging over $100 from each other. There is a whole secret world of air compressor decision making out there that I was ignorant of until now, and I am not sure how much time I want to spend acclimating to that world.

Assuming that I want an air compressor to inflate car tires and maybe also pool toys, does it matter which one I buy? Are there other reasons I might want an air compressor that I should consider when buying one?

12. - Top - End - #312

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    So, my car's "low tire pressure" light came on a few weeks ago, presumably due to the weather getting colder. I then discovered that (a) the design of that light looks kinda like the car is mooning you, (b) I somehow don't have a tire pressure gauge in this car (it's a fairly new car and not entirely mine - long story), and (c) I don't own an air compressor. I mean, I wasn't under the impression that I owned an air compressor until that point, it's more that this is the first time I have lived alone somewhere where it might make sense for me to own an air compressor since I have a garage now, and air compressors are the kind of thing that live in garages. I solved my immediate problem by going over to someone else's house and using their air compressor, but made a note to buy myself one since I have a garage now.

So today, I looked online at the Harbor Freight ads, to get an idea of what a lower-end air compressor should cost. They appear to come in kinds, with five different ones being on sale right now for prices ranging over $100 from each other. There is a whole secret world of air compressor decision making out there that I was ignorant of until now, and I am not sure how much time I want to spend acclimating to that world.

Assuming that I want an air compressor to inflate car tires and maybe also pool toys, does it matter which one I buy? Are there other reasons I might want an air compressor that I should consider when buying one?
    I recommend getting a jump box with air compressor built in. I got a Stanley Fat Max. Costs about a hundred, has air compressor, USB power ports, standard US power outlets, bright LEDs, and can jump an F450.

13. - Top - End - #313

BlackDragon

Do Americans not usually carry a tyre pump with them in the car, then? In the UK we do that all the time, either a manual foot-operated one or (if you're posh) an electric one that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    *snip*

other uses vary, depending on your hobbies. An example would be, if you are into small wood projects, you might want want to use a small paint sprayer.

Do Americans not usually carry a tire pump with them in the car, then? In the UK we do that all the time, either a manual foot-operated one or (if you're posh) an electric one that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket.
    I actually recommend having the cigarette lighter socket powered one for the car. Many of my F2F friends who live in rural areas carry one.
    Last edited by Insane Jeenyus; 2019-10-21 at 05:45 AM.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Do Americans not usually carry a tyre pump with them in the car, then? In the UK we do that all the time, either a manual foot-operated one or (if you're posh) an electric one that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket.
    I have a tire pump in my car but I don't think it's standard. When I lived in the North, I also had a blanket and a bag of cat litter in my car in the cold seasons. The latter two were common for the litter, ubiquitous for the blanket. Most people just had a spare tire in place of the tire pump.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

No, not usually. Many cars will just keep a spare tire in the trunk. Others will not even do that, mostly because the tow truck is paid for by our tax dollars (the reasoning's a little nonsensical). I personally don't keep one, but on long road trips I have a spare tire I'll bring.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

17. - Top - End - #317

One of my favorite hobbies is discovering the secret truth behind "joke internet stories".

Fabio was not hit by a goose, a goose hit a security camera that was placed in their migration path that the amusement park knew about, and THAT hit him. The roller coaster was so long they were able to disseminate the story to the press before he could even get off of it.

The woman that sued McDonalds over a cup of hot coffee did so because it was actually twice as hot as it was supposed to be and got burnt down to the bones and irreparably damaged because of it, and also McDonald's makes their coffee way too ****ing hot in the first place.

The first gender reveal party was done because the woman in question had never had a pregnancies get that far so it was less a party about the baby being a girl or boy and more a party about the baby being alive and not dead. Also said child grew up to be fairly gender non-conforming and looks bitching rad in a suit.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The woman that sued McDonalds over a cup of hot coffee did so because it was actually twice as hot as it was supposed to be and got burnt down to the bones and irreparably damaged because of it, and also McDonald's makes their coffee way too ****ing hot in the first place.
    Yeah, that one is horrifically misreported. As I remember it was at near 150 Centigrade, when it's supposed to be closer to 80 by the time you get it (and closer to 40 or 60 by the time you're actually drinking it). I also remember that she didn't want to sue McDonalds, she just wanted them to be responsible and help pay for the medical bills to deal with the damage (excuse me, I feel a need to chant three letters....)

The first gender reveal party was done because the woman in question had never had a pregnancies get that far so it was less a party about the baby being a girl or boy and more a party about the baby being alive and not dead. Also said child grew up to be fairly gender non-conforming and looks bitching rad in a suit.
    Huh, that's interesting, and much more reasonable. I still really, really hate them on principle, but that one feels utterly fine. I also should probably mention that I don't hate the idea of celebrating a pregnancy itself, I'd just prefer not doing it in a cisnormative matter (seeing as I'm GF, my best friend is trans, my other best friend is somewhere close to agender, and my other other best friend is somewhere between trans and genderfluid, I'm not impressed by cisgenderism).

Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I thought of an idea of a movie: Patty Cake: Bakers Men. It's about two undercover cops disguised as chefs trying to search the drug lord who been smuggling for drugs in the cooking world. See I'm not being vague on this one.

20. - Top - End - #320

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrexianShovel View Post
    No, not usually. Many cars will just keep a spare tire in the trunk. Others will not even do that, mostly because the tow truck is paid for by our tax dollars (the reasoning's a little nonsensical). I personally don't keep one, but on long road trips I have a spare tire I'll bring.
    Where you live that tow trucks are paid by taxes? Because I know it's not anywhere I've ever been.
    Yeah, that one is horrifically misreported.
    Is it really "misreporting" when it's a coordinated campaign by a Fortune 500 company specifically designed to make them, who were objectively 100% in the wrong, out to look like the victim?

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Is it really "misreporting" when it's a coordinated campaign by a Fortune 500 company specifically designed to make them, who were objectively 100% in the wrong, out to look like the victim?
    I am being charitable, and assuming the people who keep telling me about it aren't secretly on an organisation's payroll.

Show

22. - Top - End - #322

Huh, that's interesting, and much more reasonable. I still really, really hate them on principle, but that one feels utterly fine. I also should probably mention that I don't hate the idea of celebrating a pregnancy itself, I'd just prefer not doing it in a cisnormative matter (seeing as I'm GF, my best friend is trans, my other best friend is somewhere close to agender, and my other other best friend is somewhere between trans and genderfluid, I'm not impressed by cisgenderism).
    For what it's worth, she ALSO finds the general idea of gender reveal parties (as others have done them) as patently ridiculous. So you're in good company.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I thought of an idea of a movie: Patty Cake: Bakers Men. It's about two undercover cops disguised as chefs trying to search the drug lord who been smuggling for drugs in the cooking world. See I'm not being vague on this one.
    This is actually a good idea for a B grade comedy film.

Devour the rich.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Yes.

Devour the rich.
    Wouldn't recommend it, they taste like garbage and you usually lose your job.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2019-10-21 at 12:29 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

This is actually a good idea for a B grade comedy film.
    You really like my idea? Wow. I can't believe this is the very first time somebody like my idea.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-10-21 at 12:32 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Yes.

Wouldn't recommend it, they taste like garbage and you usually lose your job.
    The news being suppressed isn't a failure on the news.

You have nothing to lose but your chains, and tall-pork apparently tastes pretty good to those who've had to have it.

Anyway, subject change; my sister was abusing someone so I went to their mother (who she was tricking into thinking she's friends with her) and told her the situation. I'm a hero~

RE: Bartmanhomer's idea; It's a pretty decent idea, yeah! Not great, but it's a funny idea.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-10-21 at 12:32 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

The news being suppressed isn't a failure on the news.
    Yes it is. 110%.

You have nothing to lose but your chains, and tall-pork apparently tastes pretty good to those who've had to have it.
    Yeah cuz they were starving to death.

Anyway, subject change; my sister was abusing someone so I went to their mother (who she was tricking into thinking she's friends with her) and told her the situation. I'm a hero~
    Woo, abuse stopped, hopefully!

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #327

Yes it is. 110%.

Woo, abuse stopped, hopefully!
    Fingers crossed!

Not for nothing but "big businesses uses it's unimaginable wealth to stomp out or adjust any negative news against it" is the situation we're talking about here. The little guy getting stepped on isn't at fault for getting stepped on.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Not for nothing but "big businesses uses it's unimaginable wealth to stomp out or adjust any negative news against it" is the situation we're talking about here. The little guy getting stepped on isn't at fault for getting stepped on.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    I'm not talking about the burn victim, I'm talking about the news.

If it's your ****ing job to tell people the truth and you participate in spreading a lie, or you do nothing to stop said lie from being spread, you are to blame for the existence of said lie. You do not get to blame the ignorant masses for your colossal **** up.

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

For what it's worth, she ALSO finds the general idea of gender reveal parties (as others have done them) as patently ridiculous. So you're in good company.
    That's good.

Devour the rich.
    Unfortunately I've had trouble making an affordable sauce.

Anyway, I've slowly been developing my Foul's Lead idea. I'm reworking it into a radio drama for NaNoWriMo, focusing more on the relationships between apprentices than alchemy itself. One of the apprentices is working on gold to lead to help with the resource shortages, but it's closer to a b-plot (yes, despite being the thing it's all named after).

Show

30. - Top - End - #330

I'm not talking about the burn victim, I'm talking about the news.

If it's your ****ing job to tell people the truth and you participate in spreading a lie, or you do nothing to stop said lie from being spread, you are to blame for the existence of said lie. You do not get to blame the ignorant masses for your colossal **** up.
    That's not even remotely what I was talking about but O K.

Anyway, gonna refocus on something positive again: Today's been a good day of work so far. How's all you doing?