Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Black Blade of Chaos OOC

So we can have an area for easier discussion.

Last PM:
    Quote Originally Posted by Grodech
    I'd be willing to give it a try. I have an old character sheet from last time - looks like Magnus was a barbarian/duskblade.
    Barbarian is an excellent class in 5e, and a good choice as the 1st class.

There's really no 5e version of Duskblade, particularly the spell channelling feature. We could try having something like that as part of the blade itself. I think warlock with the hexblade patron and pact of the blade fits perfectly with the sword. But you could go with any arcane spellcaster class and make it work.

You can roll stats here, 4d6 drop lowest (4d6b3, I think). I'll let you have an 18 to start and roll 5 times.

Spoiler: Stormbringer
    Show
    +3 Vorpal Greatsword
    Damage 1d20
    Crit 18-20
    Each hit heals 1/2 Dmg (Rd down) OR temp HP if max

Once drawn in hand, it must be fed a soul before it can be resheathed OR win Persuasion vs Ego (see below, success counts as 1 day unfed)

Killing blow absorbs life force (or animating magic, etc) irrevocably, wielder gains (until after long rest)
    1/2 victim CR (Rd down) in Levels
    1/2 victim full HP (Rd down) to current & max HP

Wielder attuned:
    · Permanently lose 1d4+1 wis (min 3)
    · Gain bonus ability score increase or feat at arcane caster lvl 2, 6, 10, 14, 18, 20
    · Bonus feat: Tough, Resilient (str, dex or con)
    · Intimidate +5 (Advantage when drawn)
    · Perception +5 (can't be surprised when drawn)

If arcane caster:
    1. +2 levels in existing class OR 1st lvl sorcerer
    2. bonus feat - spell sniper OR war caster
    3. Proficient in Arcana (Expertise if already proficient)
    4. Magic Resistance

C/N
    Int 20
    Wis 12
    Cha 20

Ego +11 (+1 every 2 days if not fed souls)

Telepathy (can speak [common, elf, draconic], but rarely does)

Read Languages and Magic

120' Darkvision (wielder 60' sheathed, 120' held)

30' Blindsense (wielder when held)

Hearing

Purpose: Defeat Law (Wielder gets +2 on attacks, saves, and skill checks vs Law)

Cast as sword desires OR wielder persuasion vs Ego
    All at DC 20 (as Lvl 7 spell slot, caster lvl 14):
    At will:
    ▪Detect Magic
    ▪Chill Touch (+12 Attack)

1/long rest each:
    ▪Confusion
    ▪Dimension Door
    ▪Dispel Magic
    ▪Magic Circle
    ▪Plane Shift
    ▪Scatter
    ▪Teleport
    ▪Wall of Force

Replace any (1/long rest spells) with Persuasion vs Ego to do one of the following:
    (must be in hand & unsheathed, fail = used but no action, success = used - interact w/ object)
    • Channel spell cast by wielder to melee attack
    • Remove 1 level of exhaustion
    • Remove 1 condition
    • Regain all warlock spell slots immediately
    • Use Quicken metamagic
    》Use all to cast Wish spell
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2020-01-07 at 04:31 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos

Riley stats + auto 18...

(4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[5]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

OK, yikes, let's make it roll 6 times and replace the lowest with 18.

(4d6b3)[14]
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Since we're starting with the assumption that Magnus is multiclass let's go 4th level. That gives you the option of being 3rd level to start in one class, which is when most classes get their big choice for archtype.

I'm thinking Riley should be bard of whisper college, urchin background. Can't recall what subrace he was whisper gnome, but I'm thinking snirvneblin for this. Do you still want to play both?
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2019-10-06 at 12:20 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Have you used d&d beyond? If you have a free account I think you get 6 characters and with my premium account you can access other stuff I have.

If not, mythweavers works fine.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Magnus stats:
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[16]

I'll annotate this with you know how much this forum's dice roller hates me....

7. - Top - End - #7

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Gryndel View Post
    Have you used d&d beyond? If you have a free account I think you get 6 characters and with my premium account you can access other stuff I have.

If not, mythweavers works fine.
    Never used it. Didn't know it existed.

8. - Top - End - #8

Beholder

Since we're starting with the assumption that Magnus is multiclass let's go 4th level. That gives you the option of being 3rd level to start in one class, which is when most classes get their big choice for archtype.

I'm thinking Riley should be bard of whisper college, urchin background. Can't recall what subrace he was whisper gnome, but I'm thinking snirvneblin for this. Do you still want to play both?
    I'm fine with you (or someone else) playing him. There's still a lot for me to learn of 5e, so trying to play two characters might be difficult. At this time, the only resource I have is the PHB on PDF.

9. - Top - End - #9

Beholder

So we can have an area for easier discussion.
    Last PM:

Barbarian is an excellent class in 5e, and a good choice as the 1st class.

There's really no 5e version of Duskblade, particularly the spell channelling feature. We could try having something like that as part of the blade itself. I think warlock with the hexblade patron and pact of the blade fits perfectly with the sword. But you could go with any arcane spellcaster class and make it work.

You can roll stats here, 4d6 drop lowest (4d6b3, I think). I'll let you have an 18 to start and roll 5 times.
    So if we did the warlock, I'm assuming the pact would be with the blade itself, correct? This makes the most sense to me - the pact with the blade being the reason he goes into warlock. What benefit would 'pact of the blade' have? Would it always bring the black blade of chaos? It seems kind of redundant/unnecessary in terms of what the blade itself can do vs what the pact would. I haven't had time to absorb everything yet, but those are some initial questions I have. If you can't tell, I'm thinking BBN 3/Warlock 1 at this point.
    Last edited by Grodech; 2019-10-07 at 02:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grodech View Post
    So if we did the warlock, I'm assuming the pact would be with the blade itself, correct? This makes the most sense to me - the pact with the blade being the reason he goes into warlock. What benefit would 'pact of the blade' have? Would it always bring the black blade of chaos? It seems kind of redundant/unnecessary in terms of what the blade itself can do vs what the pact would. I haven't had time to absorb everything yet, but those are some initial questions I have. If you can't tell, I'm thinking BBN 3/Warlock 1 at this point.
    Pretty good stats there!

Levels sound fine to me.

I suggest getting d&d beyond, the free version is enough. It autofills results from nearly all your choices and lays out what future levels give you very well. Could be very useful for this game when you start killing and getting levels. Plus it's very useful for players new to 5e. I'm pretty sure I can grant you access to orher books there too.

Since you only have phb I'll post the hexblade patron choice. Pact of the blade is explained in phb, and there's a few invocations that go well with it. You don't get invocations until lvl 2 and the pact boon until lvl 3 anyway, so no hurry there. We'll make the blade your pact weapon and hex weapon, probably the only weapon he has at that point. Being able to dismiss and summon it is a very cool feature.

Spoiler: Hexblade
    Show
    You have made your pact with a mysterious entity from the Shadowfell — a force that manifests in sentient magic weapons carved from the stuff of shadow. The mighty sword Blackrazor is the most notable of these weapons, which have been spread across the multiverse over the ages. The shadowy force behind these weapons can offer power to warlocks who form pacts with it. Many hexblade warlocks create weapons that emulate those formed in the Shadowfell. Others forgo such arms, content to weave the dark magic of that plane into their spellcasting.

I'll reflavor the following paragraph, or we'll just ignore it.
    Because the Raven Queen is known to have forged the first of these weapons, many sages speculate that she and the force are one and that the weapons, along with hexblade warlocks, are tools she uses to manipulate events on the Material Plane to her inscrutable ends.

Hexblade Features
    1st Expanded Spell List, Hexblade’s Curse, Hex Warrior
    6th Accursed Specter
    10th Armor of Hexes
    14th Master of Hexes

Expanded Spell List
    The Hexblade lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

Hexblade Expanded Spells
    1st shield, wrathful smite
    2nd blur, branding smite
    3rd blink, elemental weapon
    4th phantasmal killer, staggering smite
    5th banishing smite, cone of cold

Hexblade’s Curse
    Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus. Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20. If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Hex Warrior
    At 1st level, you acquire the training necessary to effectively arm yourself for battle. You gain proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons.

The influence of your patron also allows you to mystically channel your will through a particular weapon. Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. This benefit lasts until you finish a long rest. If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon’s type.

Accursed Specter (thinking of changing this one for channel spell)
    Starting at 6th level, you can curse the soul of a person you slay, temporarily binding it to your service. When you slay a humanoid, you can cause its spirit to rise from its corpse as a specter, the statistics for which are in the Monster Manual. When the specter appears, it gains temporary hit points equal to half your warlock level. Roll initiative for the specter, which has its own turns. It obeys your verbal commands, and it gains a special bonus to its attack rolls equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of +0).

The specter remains in your service until the end of your next long rest, at which point it vanishes to the afterlife.

Once you bind a specter with this feature, you can’t use the feature again until you finish a long rest.

Armor of Hexes
    At 10th level, your hex grows more powerful. If the target cursed by your Hexblade’s Curse hits you with an attack roll, you can use your reaction to roll a d6. On a 4 or higher, the attack instead misses you, regardless of its roll.

Master of Hexes
    Starting at 14th level, you can spread your Hexblade’s Curse from a slain creature to another creature. When the creature cursed by your Hexblade’s Curse dies, you can apply the curse to a different creatu
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

There's no bastardsword in 5e, and the warlock stuff prohibits weapons with two-handed property. So I'm thinking longsword. It's mostly to conform to the rules, but the damage is still 1d20, so it doesn't really matter.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Black Blade of Chaos OOC

So we have a game thread now
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

13. - Top - End - #13

Beholder

Pretty good stats there!
    So replacing the 11 with an 18 gives me:
    15, 12, 18, 15, 15, 16

I suggest getting d&d beyond, the free version is enough. It autofills results from nearly all your choices and lays out what future levels give you very well. Could be very useful for this game when you start killing and getting levels. Plus it's very useful for players new to 5e. I'm pretty sure I can grant you access to other books there too.
    I did sign up last night and got access to the UA stuff with the Pact of the Blade, which is why I had questions on it.

Accursed Specter (thinking of changing this one for channel spell)
    Starting at 6th level, you can curse the soul of a person you slay, temporarily binding it to your service. When you slay a humanoid, you can cause its spirit to rise from its corpse as a specter, the statistics for which are in the Monster Manual. When the specter appears, it gains temporary hit points equal to half your warlock level. Roll initiative for the specter, which has its own turns. It obeys your verbal commands, and it gains a special bonus to its attack rolls equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of +0).
    Yeah, since the blade absorbs the life force, this one probably needs replacing...

14. - Top - End - #14

Beholder

Default Re: Black Blade of Chaos OOC

Any other build parameters? HP, etc...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

You can just go with the avg, which I think is default in dndbeyond. Or you can have max 1st and roll, up to you.

Here's the link for the game there.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2019-10-08 at 04:06 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

16. - Top - End - #16

Beholder

The options were manual and fixed. Unless I should rebuild him now that I'm linked to the game. I don't see the warlock options we talked about either.

Edit: It looks like changing it to fixed is what I needed to do.
    Last edited by Grodech; 2019-10-07 at 07:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I forgot to enable content sharing, which is now on. I selected the Hexblade patron and attuned the crossbow for you.

Background in 5e actually gives you game mechanics benefits, so please choose one.

He'd have the same AC without the breastplate, but you can keep it if you want. Magic items are less prevalent in 5e, but I'll let you have the haversack and repeating crossbow. If you drop the armor you can have a ring of Protection. Add a melee weapon and choose spells.

As to starting the game we can begin in town or on the trail of the kobolds.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

18. - Top - End - #18

Beholder

I just started grabbing stuff to see what I could get away with, as I wasn't sure how the starting gold thing would work.

Same AC without the breastplate? How does that work?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

With breastplate you get max +2 dex to AC. Without armor barbarian adds dex and con modifier to AC. You can also use a shield, with or without armor.

Magic items are much less prevalent in 5e, but I'm not being as restrictive as they suggest. However, there's no magic shops, so most come from treasure.

We'll say Magnus and Riley are low on funds, so each has some equipment and 125 go.

You should get the starting equipment too, you can add or subtract from it as you like.

I'd suggest getting at least one healing porion, they're fairly available and cost 50 gp each normally.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

20. - Top - End - #20

Beholder

I guess I have more reading to do - lol

What world is this going to take place on?

Oh, and we need init rolls from Joldag and Astri...
    Last edited by Grodech; 2019-10-08 at 03:00 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Beholder

There's no bastardsword in 5e, and the warlock stuff prohibits weapons with two-handed property. So I'm thinking longsword. It's mostly to conform to the rules, but the damage is still 1d20, so it doesn't really matter.
    Greatsword, maybe? I suppose longsword would be better if he used a shield. Would Blackrazor choose a size for itself depending on the wielder? I guess since the damage is always 1d20, it really wouldn't matter what type of blade it was, but from an intimidation factor, greatsword would probably be best.

22. - Top - End - #22

Beholder

You should get the starting equipment too, you can add or subtract from it as you like.

I'd suggest getting at least one healing porion, they're fairly available and cost 50 gp each normally.
    Done and done.

23. - Top - End - #23

Beholder

Background in 5e actually gives you game mechanics benefits, so please choose one.

If you drop the armor you can have a ring of Protection. Add a melee weapon and choose spells.
    Melee weapon added from background. I think I chose cantrips - still deciding on spells.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Greatsword, maybe? I suppose longsword would be better if he used a shield. Would Blackrazor choose a size for itself depending on the wielder? I guess since the damage is always 1d20, it really wouldn't matter what type of blade it was, but from an intimidation factor, greatsword would probably be best.
    The issue is the warlock stuff applies to wrapons that don't have the two handed property, which greatsword does. I'll hand wave it as DM & just say THIS sword, which is also the patron, is the exception.

Sheet looks good, just the spells. I'd suggest taking Comprehend Language as one.
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2019-10-08 at 06:05 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

I guess I have more reading to do - lol

What world is this going to take place on?

Oh, and we need init rolls from Joldag and Astri...
    Ok, I'll go there next.

As to what world, hadn't really decided, but it's dominated by lawful regimes and monsters. There's a highly structured empire which includes kingdoms and fuedal lords etc, there's a few humanoid realms, each slightly different, but all very lawful, and there's lots of lawful monsters, some working together.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

26. - Top - End - #26

Beholder

The issue is the warlock stuff applies to wrapons that don't have the two handed property, which greatsword does. I'll hand wave it as DM & just say THIS sword, which is also the patron, is the exception.
    The Hex Warrior ability allows him to use CHA instead of STR on a non-two handed weapon, which he probably wouldn't do anyway since his STR is higher. Once he gets Pact of the Blade, it expands to include all weapons. Otherwise, I don't really see anything that limits the weapon size to one handed (admittedly, I could have missed it).
    Last edited by Grodech; 2019-10-08 at 08:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Beholder

What do you think of the Path of the Storm Herald option for Barbarian?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

It's good, though I personally prefer other paths. Not as much damage as an extra attack, especially once he gets the black blade. I also like the totems, some are very nice indeed, like resistance to all but psychic damage.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

29. - Top - End - #29

Beholder

It's good, though I personally prefer other paths. Not as much damage as an extra attack, especially once he gets the black blade.
    True, but then there's the exhaustion to deal with afterwards.

I also like the totems, some are very nice indeed, like resistance to all but psychic damage.
    I'll have to look at that one.

30. - Top - End - #30

Beholder

So at this point, his warlock pact is with the blade, but he doesn't actually have it yet, correct?