Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Waking Nightmares [OOC]

Greetings!

Welcome to Waking Nightmares, a homebrew campaign of my own creation. This campaign will be an Occult Adventure set mainly in the Dimension of Dreams, with an H.P. Lovecraft theme. Bear with me, as this is my first time running a game on GITP, and as always I’m open to suggestions and constructive criticism :)

Player Character Race Class
    Archemist Geraldine "Jeri" LeTerre Tiefling Kineticist (Void)
    Brandnewb Josephat "Farmer Joe" Thompson

Phantom
    Human Spiritualist
    H. Von Studley Quinnovar "Quinn" Elrael Elf Occultist (Silksworn)
    Open
    Open

Spoiler: Synopsis
    Show

Turmoil and anarchy abound throughout the Imperium of Illya in the aftermath of the empire spanning conflict known simply as the Chaos War. The return of Rovagug seems to have been thwarted for now by the intervention and sacrifice of extraordinary heroes, and at the cost of a great many lives. Disbanded factions now roam the country and lawlessness reigns throughout. The people of the land are trying to bring some modicum of peace to the war-torn countryside and help restore it to its former function, but the influence of Rovagug's near escape from his imprisonment seems to have awakened other nefarious powers. Strange and inexplicable phenomenon have begun occuring and unbelievable stories are whispered in dark corners. These are dark and fearful times and many people's livelihoods have been totally devastated. Those that survived are considered lucky to have even escaped the carnage with the clothes on their backs. It is from these very people that our party is derived.

Fortunate enough to have escaped the Imperial capital of Illya in the midst of the final battle, you have unwittingly found yourselves as imprisoned slaves aboard "The Noose", an imperial navy brig currently under the command of Captain Caelus Corbin, a defector from Illya. Corbin is capitalizing on the lack of law-enforcement and leadership prevalent through most of the region in the wake of the fighting in order to turn a profit and survive in this new era.

Spoiler: Prologue
    Show
    The Imperium of Illya: An ancient and once massive empire named after it’s capital city, its influence has shrunken to a fraction of its former glory. Illya had long remained a stable and peaceful realm until recent times. Over time, unrest and dissidence from competing states within the empire eventually led to significant levels of corruption in the government. This gave rise to the presence of several separatist and anarchist groups, most significantly including the Church of Rovagug, which cared nothing for the governance of the empire, but rather sought to benefit from the political instability and gain a foothold.

Foreign nations, sensing the weakness and splintering of the empire, began to move in either by force or by political scheming. As this progressed, some individual states of the empire began declaring independence or joining with foreign powers. When those who remained loyal to the empire began to protest, riots began, and these transformed into full-scale fights. Several militia groups formed and soon it became difficult to determine whose side each group was on. Pockets of fighting erupted all throughout the empire and oftentimes combatants were not even certain who their opponents were or what side they were on. The annals of history will never be able to reckon the true number of pitched battles, so many there were. The general confusion and sheer number of small wars being waged was what led to the entire ordeal being referred to as the Chaos War.

This was the perfect environment for the Church of Rovagug to operate with unprecedented freedom, and they were able to summon a spawn of Rovagug, Hekatonkheires, which unleashed untold destruction upon Illya. Their intent was to pave the way for the Rough Beast to gain his freedom. It was this fateful action that finally galvanized the various factions into larger, organized armies which ultimately came together to do battle with Hekatonkheires (and with one another) in the capital. Although the Church of Rovagug was thwarted and his spawn defeated, by no means have things returned to normal; far from it…

Spoiler: The 5 Principal Factions
    Show
    The Imperium of Illya: Those who remained loyal to the empire, consisting largely of the city of Illya itself, and several of the closer city-states (both geographically and politically). This campaign will take place within what remains of the Imperium.

The Discidium: Those which sought autonomy from the empire. Actually a collection several disparate groups, they were eventually persuaded to come together in order to stop the Church of Rovagug. Even though the Chaos War began between the Imperium and the Discidium, they grudgingly allied with the Imperium at the end in order to destroy the Hekatonkheires. However, once that was accomplished they promptly returned to their own individual agendas.

The Justitia Fanaticus: A foreign religious military looking to conquer Illya in its weakened state in order to expand its influence and faith. Some of the Imperium’s states were convinced to convert before the Chaos War even started, and continue to function under their rule apart from the Imperium now that the war seems to have concluded. The Justitia also briefly sided with the Imperium to stop the Church of Rovagug in the final battle, but withdrew as soon as the fighting was finished.

The Umbral Horde: Another foreign force which invaded after the Chaos War had already begun in earnest. The Umbral Horde is named such for the large number of necromancers they employ to supplement their army with expendable undead troops. They indiscriminately killed the forces of both the Imperium and the Discidium, adding to the general confusion of the war. The Church of Rovagug saw their value immediately and made allies of them with the agreement to split the spoils of the war; a false promise given the fact that the Church did not intend for anything of the Imperium to be salvageable. Once the Discidium and the Justitia united with the Imperium, the Horde was routed in the final battle.

The Church of Rovagug: What started out as a very small group of savage nihilists quickly snowballed into a well-organized mafia-like gang with the dissolution of the Imperium. As fear of them grew, so too did the number of their followers, and they rapidly expanded into the power vacuum that formed during the war. The destruction of the Hekatonkheires led to the Church of Rovagug generally disbanding, however many of its members now roam freely…

Spoiler: Setting: “The Bowl”
    Show

The sea dominating the centre of the Imperium is simply known as “The Bowl” for the ring of surrounding hills. What follows is a brief description of the settlements situated along its coastline.

Spoiler: Illya
    Show

The seat of Imperial power, and previously a majestic and flourishing city. Most of the city was left in ruins after the final battle of the Chaos War, and is now subject to marauders and looting. Illya’s naval force, easily the largest fleet in the region, was left remarkably intact during the final battle. However, several of its officers defected after the war and turned to a life of piracy. The Emperor himself seems to have disappeared some time during the final battle or shortly thereafter, but reports on this are confused and conflicting.

Spoiler: Copperwood
    Show

This ruined town, consisting mainly of lumberjacks and tradesmen, fell to the Justitia when they opted to stand and fight rather than surrender their beloved home to a foreign force. The Justitia easily crushed all opposition and made an example of them, razing the town to the ground before moving on to Illya. This was an economic blow to the rest of the Imperium which depended on their lumber trade with them. Copperwood takes its name from the copper dragon whose territory the town was part of, however the dragon has not been seen by anyone in over a century, leading many to believe it dead.

Spoiler: Kirioth
    Show

A small fishing village of small renown. Kirioth was briefly occupied by the Justitia during the Chaos War, who recruited most of the fighting age men. The village was otherwise left alone for the duration of the conflict.

Spoiler: Minerva
    Show

This town is built on a small island, and is a prosperous trade hub. Minerva is well known for its highly skilled shipwrights, who are regularly contracted by the Illyan navy for new ships and repairs. However, with the destruction of Copperwood, their lumber supply has run dry and the locals have had to turn to trawling for fish to keep the economy going. This has caused some hard feelings with the humble Kiriothi who rely primarily on the fish trade with Minerva.
    Minerva was targeted for conversion by the Justitia during their occupation of Kirioth. When they refused to change loyalties, the Justitia attempted to overwhelm the town by force. The attack was almost successful, however the solitary bridge onto the island slowed their advance enough for Minerva’s engineers to sneak under the bridge, place explosives, and take it out. A small portion of the Justitia force was thence cut off from the main body. Minerva captured the officers and held them until the end of the war as surety against further military action, though they released the enlisted men as a gesture of good faith.

Spoiler: The Shield
    Show

The Shield is a massive fortress constructed between the Twin Straits to guard the Bowl against naval invasions. A massive chain barrier stretches from the Shield across both straits to the watchtowers on either mainland shore. The chains are equipped with large caltrop like spikes which wreak destruction on any ship which attempts to push through. This defense has repelled numerous forces, gaining it a fearful reputation abroad. Although the Justitia possess a considerable navy, they opted for a land based approach during the Chaos War because of the Shield. This led to the Shield being completely uninvolved during the war, with the exception of half of its forces being recalled to the capital to bolster their numbers.

Spoiler: Zarga
    Show

Although Zarga is nominally a part of the Imperium, they are largely independent and self-governing. The city is run by crime lords, but is remarkably well organized and controlled in spite of this. The economy mostly runs on black market, drug trade, sex trade, and gambling. Mercenary groups are also reputed to operate out of Zarga, though they offer their services free of charge to Illya during times of need in exchange for being left to their own devices. The city was the target of a raid by the Umbral Horde, which thought the city vulnerable while its mercenary forces were called to Illya. However, the local populace put up such a fierce defense that the Horde was forced to withdraw and move past them.

Spoiler: Westerhold
    Show

A quaint farming community which was occupied by the Umbral Horde during the war. The people either fled to neighbouring Zarga before the Horde arrived, or else stood their ground in their homes. Those that stayed did not put up any resistance, and were allowed to remain. Unfortunately (and perhaps inevitably), the Horde’s troops ransacked their food stores and other resources, including their women, before moving on toward Illya.

Spoiler: Azov
    Show

This iron mining village of blacksmiths provides most of the weaponry to Illya’s forces. When the Umbral Horde moved into Azov, its people retreated into the mines and bunkered down until the conflict was over. The Horde remained in Azov for some time, using it as the staging ground for its assault on Illya.

Spoiler: Game Information
    Show
    System: Pathfinder (1.0)

Player Count: 5 dedicated, long term, mature players

Style of Play: Occult Adventure borrowing heavily from the HP Lovecraft mythos. Strong RP with some combat.

Allowed Content: Usual Paizo open content material, primarily using Occult Adventures, hereafter referred to as OA for short. Also including Occult Origins Player Companion. No 3rd party content.

Character Creation:
    • Backstory: Characters should have a background that outlines their character traits and personality, history, any allies/enemies they may have, goals/aspirations, etc. It does not need to be overly detailed, but take some creative liberty in describing who your character is and how they came to be in Illya. Characters backstory should not include anything about becoming occult classes, as these abilities are given to them spontaneously as part of the story intro. Up until this point, they would have been fairly ordinary citizens.
    • Experience: 1st level
    • Wealth: 150gp worth of mundane starting equipment/coin
    • Ability Scores: 10 point buy. Characters will start out as generic, low-class citizens, and I think low point buy reflects this. I'm not big on power gaming, and lower ability scores add to more realistic role-playing strengths and weaknesses. Link to ability score calculator HERE
    • Hitpoints/Health: Max 1st level, average for hit dice thereafter (odd number for odd levels, even number for even levels. For example, d8 characters would get 8hp at first level, 4hp at second level, then 5hp at 3rd level, alternating)
    • Alignment: Any. Alignment will be on a shifting scale rather than a fixed condition. I only ask that if you pick an evil alignment, you play it responsibly. If you act like a total jerk, bad things will happen to you :D
    • Classes: Players may only level in Occult classes for the duration of the campaign, so choose wisely. Archetypes may only be chosen from Paizo material.
    • Race: Any from the CRB or of the Featured Races from the Advanced Race Guide
    • Traits: You may pick two traits and optionally one additional trait if you take a drawback. These should be roleplayed appropriately and fit in with your character's backstory.

Other Notes:

As we hash out the specifics of the beginning of this campaign, details on this post are subject to change, so stay aware, and I will try to make note of any changes. Occult rules are a totally new thing for everyone I think, so there is lots to learn!
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2020-01-22 at 09:26 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: Waking Nightmares [OOC]

So... after a little bit of thought... how's a nun sound? I'm thinking a Tiefling Kineticist(earth) who was abandoned at a convent as a baby and grew up in the church. They got scattered during the war and she ended up on the ship.

I'll fill in more later, of course, but I want to float the idea first. She'd be a survivor type, and pretty good at blending in with humans (might be passing, with a modest dress and hat on).
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Looks awesome Aeryk, good on you! I love the setting. Curious as to what kind of story we'll end up with, and how the Wild Magic thing will work. I'm still thinking about an Occultist for my character, although I'm still thinking about how I might do that.

You mentioned you're looking for five players - would you like me to run this past my mate who played with us during B's Eidolon game?

4. - Top - End - #4

DwarfFighterGuy

I will play a spiritualist. I will have my backstory soon.

I litterally knew what my backstory was and read through all the occult classes trying to pick what would be coolest in terms of roll play. If someone else is dead set on Spiritualist you can take it. With 5 people there are only 5 occult classes, but I guess it is not a big deal to have a double.

5. - Top - End - #5

DwarfFighterGuy

Josaphat Thompson, affectionately known as "Farmer Joe" by his friends, is an farmer who lives with his wife and 3 kids outside Illya. He inherited his farm and the Thompson family has lived the content, but humble life of a farmers for several generations. Known by his friends and neighbours as a kind and generous man he was always quick to help a family in need.
    While sustenance farming has kept his family poor, the Thompsons have always had enough to eat and even on occation Farmer Joe could save a few silver pennies to buy baubles for the children on market day.
    With the war life has been hard for farmers, but they have endured as they always do. Normally the close proximity to Illya brings stability, but that has finnally changed.

One night Farmer Joe was approached by an armed group of his neighbours. A evil creature had murdered the Wilson's family while Mr. Wilson was at market. So the locals were rounding up a mob to kill the creature.

Farmer Joe kissed his family goodbye and grabbed his heavy wool clock and his grain scythe to join the mob. They tracked down the creature and slew it, a monsterous undead creature Joe had never seen before. On the way home a member of the group repeated a story he heard about an army of the dead that was heading toward Illya. He had dismissed it as nonsense before now.

The men in the mob began discussing what should be done. Some wanted to flee to Illya, or to the stable regions of the empire. Farmer Joe pointed out that he would not be able to feed his children as a refugee. Eventually the mob agreeded that they would bring all their families to Rick Neil's farm. It was certainly the most defensible. And they could take the harvest in together in armed groups.

So the group went to begin collecting the families, Farmer Joe's was the first of several farms they found in ruin. His children had been torn appart and eaten, his wifes body was nowhere to be found.

Farmer Joe does not remember much of the next few days or weeks. He followed the group in a trance of Fear, Despair, Anger and Hatred. He just lurched along, dragging his scythe behind him. At night Joe would stare silently into the fire, with tears in his eyes.

When the undead hoard arrived the survivors quickly realized they would not be able to stay. So they fled. That is where they found themselves tricked aboard the noose. Desperate for escape, the chance at a safe voyage was very appealing. Farmer Joe has followed along with the group of survivors, largely oblivious to the events around him, consumed by a torrent of emotions.

Farmer Joe began to sware an oath every night, open to any being from heaven or hell who would hear him. His eternal soul, in exchange for vengence.
    Last edited by brandnewb; 2018-04-26 at 12:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

@Archy: Sounds good. Out of curiosity, what church were you thinking?

@Studley: I'll try to get some more info out on Wild Magic/story soon as I get a chance. Still doing a lot of reading and thinking myself. The story will be something of a mystery, so I will give you what I can without giving to much away ;) If there are specific questions you have that might affect how you build your character, ask away and I will do my best to answer.
    Also, I'd be good with having your buddy along. He seemed to be a good fit for our group, and I like getting new people involved.

@Brandnewb: No big deal on having doubles, there's archetypes and stuff. It would be cool to see one of each in play, but by no means necessary.
    Good start on Josaphat, just include a sentence or two on how he ended up in the city of Illya during the final conflict before ending up on The Noose. He presumably would have been driven away from the farmland once the Horde proper moved in from the west.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show

Spoiler: GM of...
    Show
    WAKING NIGHTMARES (Page Link) (Map Link)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Been trying to come up with a character concept, but I can't seem to get any inspiration flowing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryk View Post
    @Archy: Sounds good. Out of curiosity, what church were you thinking?
    That's a great question - I'd been leaning something less martial than the Justitia, and not the Church of Rovagug, since I don't want to play an evil character. So... what's the usual around Illya? I'm thinking of the character as somewhat provincial, and of course the "best fit" deity would of course be Desna, thematically. But I'm pretty sure Desna doesn't go for "convents" per se. So Jeri (my character) could have been taken in by travelers, perhaps by caravaneers or under the wing of some Desnan priestess.

Again, thematically, that might also shift Jeri towards being a Void or Aether Kineticist rather than Earth. Let me know whether you'd rather have somebody dreamier or earthier in the campaign; I could see it going either way.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

9. - Top - End - #9

RW, don't worry, take your time man, I'm sure something will come to you. Have you looked into Occult Origins (linked above) for some ideas?

Archy, temples to all of the major gods would've been found in Illya, it was basically a metropolis. I think Desna's temple would function more as a hostel than a convent, but probably would have been destroyed in the final battle of the Chaos War. I agree thematically Aether or Void might be more appropriate, but don't feel as you have to be locked into the usual tropes! Though on a strictly personal note, Void looks pretty cool ;)

HVS, I've been crunching the numbers on Wild Magic:
    Spoiler: Wild Magic Table
    Show
    CL is +2 of your actual CL as per the Lucid Dreamer feat's description. DC Full is for Psychic, the only class capable of hitting 9th level spells, DC 1/2 is for Medium which only casts up to 4th level spells, and 3/4 is for the others which cast up to 6th level spells. Success % is for the highest level spell that the class is capable of casting. Each level under would be 5% higher.

CL DC Full DC 3/4 DC 1/2 Success %
    3 16 (1st) 16 (1st) 15 (0th) 35/35/40
    4 16 16 15 40/40/45
    5 16 16 15 45/45/50
    6 17 (2nd) 17 (2nd) 16 (1st) 45/45/50
    7 17 17 16 50/50/55
    8 18 (3rd) 17 16 50/55/60
    9 18 18 (3rd) 17 (2nd) 55/55/60
    10 19 (4th) 18 17 55/60/65
    11 19 18 17 60/65/70
    12 20 (5th) 19 (4th) 18 (3rd) 60/65/70
    13 20 19 18 65/70/75
    14 21 (6th) 19 18 65/75/80
    15 21 20 (5th) 19 (4th) 70/75/80
    16 22 (7th) 20 19 70/80/85
    17 22 20 19 75/85/90
    18 23 (8th) 21 (6th) 19 75/85/95
    19 23 21 19 80/90/100
    20 24 (9th) 21 19 80/95/100
    21 24 21 19 85/100/100
    22 24 21 19 90/100/100

As you can see, some classes will be more affected than others by Wild Magic. Even when a spell is affected by Wild Magic, there is still actually a 37% chance of functioning (based on the various results on the Wild Magic chart). Also, there are ways to mitigate this, notably the spell Influence Wild Magic, and some feats and items give bonuses to CL, which you can find with a quick search. I like the challenge Wild Magic presents to the Dimension of Dreams, and its something that becomes easier to deal with as the characters become more experienced. In the beginning as well, more of our time will be spent in the Material Plane (where your magic will work just fine), building up into longer, more frequent forays into the Dimension of Dreams as we progress.

*Note, I haven't looked closely at how Kineticists function yet, our how any of their abilities mesh with Wild Magic, since they don't really cast spells.
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2018-04-25 at 08:08 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah cool, I think I get it now. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out in game.

I'm still fleshing a few things out, but I'm thinking of playing an elf Occultist with the silksworn arechetype. He was raised by monks in a monastery but left after he fell in love with a woman from a merchant family. He started a business and spent most of his adult life up to the chaos wars as a successful merchant buying and selling his passion - rare, historic items and artefacts. Despite his spartan upbringing, he developed a taste for the finer things in life.
    However, he lost everything when war broke out. The shop was torched, his savings stolen and he only escaped with the clothes on his back. He and his wife were separated and he was captured and sold to Captain Corbin. All he wants now is to escape and to find his wife.

Will that backstory/motivation work for your story Aeryk?

Mechanically, he'll have some face and knowledge skills, and in combat he'll contribute with a mix of archery and spellcasting. I'll try to get a character sheet together in the next few days.

11. - Top - End - #11

Works for me man! Only slight detail I'll change is that rather than being sold, you all would have embarked on the Noose willingly, along with other people attempting to escape the battle. By all appearances, the Noose is an Imperial Navy brig, and none of the refugees are aware of Corbin's true nature until you are in open waters and forced below decks by his crew. This will all be part of the opening scene once we get the IC off the ground.
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Sounds good to me! Perhaps my character would have gotten separated from his wife and tried to meet her on the ship, but when he arrived she wasn't there and it was too late for him to get off again.

Regarding the 5th player slot, unfortunately my friend doesn't have time to join the game, although he wanted me to thank everyone for the opportunity.

13. - Top - End - #13

No problem. If anyone has a player they think would be a good fit for this and can put the time in for long term pbp, I'm open to that. If we don't fill a fifth slot, I may carry on with just the 4 of us. I'll ask a few of my friends as well if they would be interested.
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

So I'll go ahead and link/introduce Geraldine LeTerre, young Novice in service of Desna, the Song of Spheres herself. Jeri was abandoned by the side of the road as an infant, never knowing her background, but pretty sure the horns and blueish-hue skin were the cause.

Thankfully, the Desnan travelers who picked her up were open-minded, and with a hat for the horns, rouge for the cheeks, and a flow-y skirt to tuck a tail under, she didn't usually attract too much unwanted attention. She had a relatively carefree childhood on the road with her new family, and picked up some valuable insights from them.

They always carried a lights, like good travelers and followers of The Queen of the North Star, but a special gnarled-looking metal one was the only thing left in her hands when her group of traveling pilgrims reached Illya just one step ahead of the invading army and was scattered in the chaos in the city.

She wears a patchwork dress that is remarkably sturdy and has lots of pockets. Her cloak is fashioned with a small brooch that looks like a miniature starknife.

Jeri doesn't seek the spotlight but is confident in her faith and family. She really hopes they are okay. She tries to have a sense of humor about everything but that has been sorely tested lately.

15. - Top - End - #15

DwarfFighterGuy

Do we have a party face?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Sounded like our Occultist might have some face skills.

Would either of you have healing? It's possible for some Kineticists to have some healing but my current setup is headed toward Striker, yeah. But I'm willing to change up if we need it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

My Occultist will have some face skills, but it doesn't hurt to have some overlap if you wanted to as well B. No healing from me though unfortunately.

Sheet is almost done- I just need to finalise items and come up with a name that I'm happy with.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm finding I'm not too fond of the Occult classes, aside the Mesmerist. I'd considered making some sort of hypnotist, but I see we're not supposed to have our occult class abilities at the very start. I'm not really sure what to do with my character.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That could still work - maybe a sham hypnotist that is mysteriously gifted powers and suddenly turns into the real deal? That could be fun.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Yeah, like for Jeri, I think her religious fascination with dream and stars will get a lot crazier if dreams are suddenly real and the Void is calling.

So I'm in favor of a "harrower" suddenly seeing things that are specific and come true, say.

21. - Top - End - #21

DwarfFighterGuy

I am not a huge fan of the Occult Classes either. I love the flavour of the Spiritualist, but the rules for both Occult Spellcasting and the Spiritualist Phantom are sloppy. Particulalry for the phantom. Too many conditions, and situational abilities. And a lot of loose ends, for instance I can't find anywhere that it states what the action to bring it back inside your mind is.

That said the Spiritualists phantom is super cool. Like the shadow dancers shadow but probably better.

Edit: as for healing. I will take CLW but that will be the extent of my healing ability. So as long as I share the duty with one or two people we should be fine.
    Last edited by brandnewb; 2018-04-26 at 08:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Maybe I should clarify on not having abilities at the start. What I kind of envisioned is that your characters are chosen and granted abilities at the beginning of the story because of a prior strength of mind and perhaps fascination or connection with the supernatural, and they beging to have visions. By comparison, most of the rest of people who are touched by these visions go insane. So it would make sense if your characters had been perhaps dabbling or studying the occult or were influenced or touched by it at some point previously, but their true abilities are not unlocked until the start of the campaign. If there are any concerns with rules we can smooth those details out as we go and see what works and what doesn't and deal with it as it comes up. I just wanted some new challenges and unusual adventures aside from the typical sword and sorcery save the world kind of story. DW, just wondering, is there anything I can change that might make it more appealing to you? I hope it isn't feeling forced to you guys, because if it is I can tweak it no problem. Let me know :)
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm planning on starting back at full-time work soon, now that I'm back from school, and I'll be running a session-based game I've been planning for a while with another group soon. Combined with a lack of inspiration for an interesting character, I think I'll pass on this campaign, at least for now. Meaning no offense to Aeryk at all, just not feeling it right now.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryk View Post
    I hope it isn't feeling forced to you guys, because if it is I can tweak it no problem. Let me know :)
    Nah, I think it's looking awesome. Game concept is really interesting. The hardest part for me has just been figuring out how to make a 10 point buy work.

25. - Top - End - #25

No worries at all RW :)

VS, I hear you. Let's up it to a 15 point buy :)

I'm thinking I might open up the remaining 2 slots to the general public unless anyone has a friend they'd like to invite, which would be preferable.
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with 10 point buy. It's lower than I'm used to, but I don't mind running a low power game.

Here's the character sheet for Quinnovar Elrael (Quinn). This is the 10 point buy version of the character, but let me know if you're sure you want to bump it up to 15.

Give me another day or so and I'll see if any of my other friends might be interested.

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfFighterGuy

I vote for 10pt buy. I like the lower power games.

28. - Top - End - #28

Ok, cool. Glad to see people willing to go for a 10 point buy. I know that's a hard sell for some people, but I'd really like to try it out, and I honestly think it goes a long way in balancing the encounters, which is usually my hardest struggle as a GM.
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29

DwarfFighterGuy

Farmer Joe 10pt buy; https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1570277

Ill add the phantom when I am done him.

Phantom: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1570407
    Last edited by brandnewb; 2018-04-30 at 03:22 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Sounds good to me re 10 point buy.

My other friends weren't keen on the PbP format so might be good to open this one up to the public after all. Alternatively we can have a go with three characters - having B's phantom makes us closer to 3.5 - 4 characters anyway.