New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: CAVE: Conquering Alliance of Villainous Evil!

[Laboratories]

Larukh stops in his tracks when he seems the Warp churn and roil. There's no mistaking the feeling of the Empyrean opening up and disgorging something. And so close, too. This could be either a threat or valuable. Very likely both. He will broadcast a message to the rest of the organization through whatever channels of communication are available:

"I have felt a tremor in the Warp. That means the dimension of souls I came here through. Something has appeared from it nearby and it is imperative that we investigate it promptly."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

[Laboratories]

CAVE uses a number of communications methods, but secure wireless comms are the most prevalent. The message is relayed immediately to other CAVE members, along with the leaders. In short order, Larukh receives at least two messages back, one from Chaeron himself, and another from one of his lieutenants, the raven-haired android woman called Kaydara.

"We will send units to support investigation. Preference on type?" Is Chaeron's simple response. No doubt the leader is interested in whatever sort of boon this might provide. Kaydara's response is a bit more elaborate.

"Red Dragon can spare four squads right now to support and help cordon off the area if necessary. I'll have troops waiting at a point you specify, Larukh, if you'll have them."

((I'll post for other scenes later, am still working out some stuff for them.))
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

[Laboratories]

"I ask only that you send strong-willed troops," Larukh says. "Exposure to the Warp can break unprepared minds. I will take some of my strongest mortal servants and one of the Rubric marines. Whatever came out from the Warp may be of use to us, but it will almost certainly be a threat regardless."
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-12-02 at 05:27 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

4. - Top - End - #94

NinjaGuy

[Laboratories]

"I will have the Green Dragon send two tank golems for transport. Their AI is mindless and should pose no issue. They will be waiting for your command," Chaeron says simply. Kaydara's reply is, again, more elaborate.

"My troops have seen more than their share of...oddities, shall we say. They should be fine; they're pretty tough. I wish I could accompany you, but I have other matters to attend to, unfortunately. I'll send them over at once."

Shortly, four squads of android soldiers and two of the larger tank golems that CAVE uses as both troop transports and heavy assault vehicles are assembled and waiting in the courtyard just outside of the area that's been assigned to Larukh and his forces. The golems hover a few feet off the ground, like many of CAVE's vehicles. These two are large enough to accommodate even the hulking form of the Astartes and his minions, along with the forces provided by Kaydara with little issue.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

[Road from the Northeast]

Whatever the Red Dragon has watching its bases to the northeast may suddenly become aware of the sound of an oversized motorcycle engine barreling down the road at high speed. The machine is massive, easily the size of most cars, with black and copper colored metals all over the outside of it. The wheels would look less out of place on a monster truck than a motorcycle, and yet here they are. The reason for this monstrosity of a vehicle barreling down the highway is that it's carrying a scaly green rider that simply wouldn't fit on anything smaller.

Not wearing her ghillie suit this time around, Scaleback is instead in her combat outfit. The question is, are there any checkpoints along the old dwarven road that would force her to slow down or stop? Because unless there is, she'll be moving at high speed deep into the refurbished mining colony.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

[Laboratories ==> Wilderness]

Larukh directs his attendants to help him into the bulky carapace of the Astartes power armor. Unlike when he arrived, he puts on his helmet, hiding his face behind its solid red visors. He joins the rest of the force alongside one of the silent, mindless animated armors and eight mortal cultists. These men and women wear flak armor and are armed with chainswords, shotguns and heavy pistols. They're not as disciplined or trained as CAVE's own troops, but they do have some experience with Warp phenomena.

The sorcerer will focus on the Warp disturbance he felt and direct the troops in that direction.

7. - Top - End - #97

NinjaGuy

[HQ Cafeteria]

Kaydara unwraps her bar, which changes color slightly, its glow turning slightly purple, before she engulfs it in what seems to be about three bites, then sits sipping her coffee, watching Nemo for a few moments.

People don't seem to mind having to walk around Nemo's wings. Some of the androids even have wings that are larger, if she takes the time to look around. Finally, the raven-haired commander nods to her.

"What sort of surroundings are you more comfortable in? What sorts of things did you pursue in your free time? We can provide quarters, but it would be helpful to know what would be more useful to you, things like lab or study space, or areas to hone martial pursuits and that sort of thing."

Headed South

The lithe android steps forwards, and speaks in a musical, and definitely female tone, though her armor seems a bit more androgynous.

"Corporal O'Shay of the Conquering Alliance, Red Dragon forces. I have summoned my Commander, Kaydara of the Red Dragon, and she will be here shortly to discuss your offer of allegiance. Your patience is appreciated."

A few moments later, the black-haired leader of the Red Dragon forces circles overhead, this time in her combat armor, a black and red suit of high tech armor fitted with jets, thrusters and vents on her back, legs and shoulders. She drops quickly next to one of the hovertanks into a crouch, before standing and sauntering over.

"Kaydara of the Red Dragon. You wish to join us? Tell me about yourselves."

[HQ Main Building - Meetings]

Kaydara eyes Malice up and down, scrutinizing every square millimeter of the MagClone as he introduces himself and Rasputin. She looks unimpressed until he mentions that his predecessor single-handedly conquered the Nexus. Her expression shifts then, to a comradely smile.

"Fun, yes. I can see why the Dragons wish to meet you now," she says, not bothering to introduce herself. After all, Chaeron already has, so no need to reiterate.

Balthius, on the other hand, simply watches, his mechanical eye clicking and whirring, before he nods at Chaeron.

"Indeed. We should not delay longer." He steps back, further into the chamber, as does Kaydara. Chaeron steps forwards, and all three turn to face Malice.

"This is...unusual for us, but...desperate times. The Dragons will explain further," he says calmly. With that, all three of them start to change slightly.

Kaydara's eyes change color, going from red to a shimmering gold, before her scelera fill with the same color. Her gaze doesn't waver from Malice, but she seems to relax slightly, as wisps of light, like the flickering of flames, coalesce from the edges of her eyes into a flickering ghost that hovers above her head, the image presented of the head of a massive, and obviously very old red dragon.

Balthius's head nods downwards, until his chin is practically touching his chest, his visible eye closed. Little black and grey wisps of smoke begin to flow from his augmentations, forming a cloud above his head, that begins to writhe and seethe with tiny crackles of green lightning, before forming into a similar spectral image of an ancient and powerful black dragon, its glowing green eyes fixed on Malice.

Chaeron spreads his arms, bent at the elbows, his fingers curled around balls of light that suddenly appear in his hands, arching his back, his mouth open in a silent scream. From him, flow not one, or two, but dozens of spectral draconic forms, each taking a place in the air above the group. Different colors, representing every color of dragon Malice has ever encountered or probably read about, all of them showing signs of incredible age. Two of the largest, though, are a green, its yellow spectral eyes surveying the group, and a sickly-looking blue, who seems much more interested in Malice than any of the others.

After a silent moment, there is a voice, like slowly tuning into a radio station. It is deep, and thunderous, but the speaker also seems to be wounded. There is a marked pain in their words.

"This is the one? Speak, mortal. Are you able to fix that which is both flesh and machine, bound together as one by both sorcery and science?" Most likely, this is the blue dragon speaking, but it's difficult to say where the words are coming from exactly.

The road is most definitely fortified, with several smaller checkpoints giving way to fences and a sizable presence the closer to the mountain one gets. Near the entrance to the mine is a massive forcefield projector, with a gate, manned by dozens of troops and occupied by at least two hovertanks. The other checkpoints are less heavily armed, though they do get heavier the closer one gets to the mountain. Busting through the outer checkpoint is likely to send reinforcements to the subsequent checkpoints, though if one managed to silence the handful of guards present there quickly enough, they might not get a warning off, depending on how Scaleback approaches the outpost.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2019-12-03 at 09:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

That's going to prompt Plan B, then. And so, Scaleback will slow down to a stop at the first checkpoint. She stays on her motorcycle, one foot on the road to keep herself stable as she takes in the fortifications. Those tanks are a particular problem and will have to be dealt with if she's going to make any headway.

Rather than being openly aggressive however, she calls out to the guards, her raw volume of her voice cutting across any sound they might be making, "Hey! You guys are still recruiting, right?"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

Headed South

"Ar, well. That be tricky. We be mostly sand elves, of the deep desert. Some halflings and other outcasts from the oasis cities. We were sailing away from an ambush by pirate-hunters, when there was a flash of light and we be findin' ourselves in a land we don't recognise. Saeshelle says we sailed through some kinda magic door. So, uh, I discussed it with the crew, and we be decidin' to come here. The landship that were chasin' us don't be followin' us, it seems. Unless ye wanted to know somethin' more?" He's not entirely sure he's answered the question satisfactorily, though he remains standing where he is with his hands on his hips.

A translucent entity with a few short tentacles emerges from the windcaller's head. The thing's head is dominated by a large mouth and six eyes.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Dark Wilderness]

The wilderness a few miles from the Lab has been tainted. The squads and vehicles that approach won't notice much amiss at first, though Larukh and his psyker minions may begin to feel a strange unease or wrongness. The lingering taint of Warp influence, no doubt. Entering the woods, they will begin to spot the occasional discrepancy. A single blue flower among a throng of red blossoms. An apple growing on a pecan tree. A tree split down the middle, with either side flourishing into a perfectly symmetrical copy of itself.

As they advance further into the woods, a fog begins to form, and the strange itch of Warp-taint becomes more noticeable in the psykers and sorcerers in the strike team.

The fog grows thicker. The trees they pass become more gnarled. Some are barren, bereft of all their foliage.

Some of the trees are bleeding.

Further into the forest, the fog is thicker, and the trees are thinner. Soon... there are no trees. Only blasted stumps, and pillars of ash, which crumble into nothingness and faint whispers on the wind as the soldiers and scouts pass them.

The sense of wrongness grows stronger, until even the mortals and those not touched by the Warp can begin to feel its icy caress down their spine, though surely the strike teams are hardened and trained enough to not give in to their paranoia and unease... right?
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

[Dark Wilderness]

The mortal cultists are not psykers; Larukh left his thrall-wizards in he base. He himself is acutely aware of what has happened is here, of course. The sorcerer has put on his helmet while moving out, covering his face. The red visors of his helmet serve to make him feel even more inhuman and detached. The mortals are on edge, but sufficiently accustomed to the dangers of the Warp not to let that get to them yet. The Rubric Marine is, of course, without any emotion at all.

"The disturbance in the Warp must have been considerable," he informs the others over the comm. "We must be nearing the centre. Or I hope so, because if we're not, then the centre is worse still."

He reaches out with his mind, trying to probe the Warp in search of any daemons or other beings hiding in the forest.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-12-07 at 10:06 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102

NinjaGuy

[Dark Wilderness]

The hardened, veteran android troops provided by the Red Dragon grow more alert as they near the center and more disturbing things are noticed, but maintain their professional composure, keeping to a formation designed to protect Larukh and his followers while allowing themselves clear fields of fire. They must have some experience with the Warp, because none seem terribly on edge, more alert and cautious than worried or paranoid. Notably, these troops mostly aren't carrying weapons; instead, most of them seem to have weapons built into their armor or integrated into their bodies. Two of the squad leaders respond with a simple acknowledgement when Larukh observes they're getting near the center of the disturbance.

"Any idea what we might find when we reach it, sir?" The third asks. His tone is curious, not worried, though. The fourth chimes in as well.

"It would be good if it's something we can put to use, but what do you think the odds are of that, sir?"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

[Dark Wilderness]

"I believe it was some kind of entity. A daemon, or something else." Larukh drums his fingers on his staff. "The odds are unfortunately low. I may be able to bind it to my will or negotiate with it. Otherwise we will need to banish or destroy it. The Warp is the very definition of unpredictable."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Dark Wilderness]

The Warp is indeed unpredictable, but for now its taint seems to be only lingering in the scarred earth and blasted nature. And this thick fog. It seems to be growing thicker, almost viscous.

The android soldiers' presumably have improved or augmented senses, but even so, they may begin to have some difficulty seeing much further into the mist. It's almost as if there's some sort of unnatural interference...

Through the strange mist, though, there soon comes a sound. It's distant and faint at first, hard to make out. But after a few minutes, it's heard again.

Beeeeh

...is that a goat?
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

15. - Top - End - #105

NinjaGuy

The guards eye the massive machine and its occupant for a moment, before one of them nods.

"We're looking for those like-minded, yes. Wait here, for a moment." The guard sounds female, but the heavy armor obscures her face and form. She places a hand to one side of her helmet for a moment, before nodding at Scaleback.

"We've called for one of the leaders to give an interview. They'll be here shortly."

A few minutes later, Scaleback can see a form arcing down from the sky towards the guardpost. The raven-haired woman who seems to be the leader of the Red Dragon's forces. This should be interesting.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Scaleback will step off her bike for the moment, crossing her arms as she watches the arcing figure from above. What did she know about the Red Dragon's leader? That she's an organized leader, well trained, intelligent. Don't lie to her if you can help it; just don't tell the whole truth? Yeah, that seems like a good plan. And try to avoid a direct fight - even if you can beat her one on one, she'd have plenty of opportunity to call for reinforcements.

"Greetings!" Emily's booming voice carries out, towards the flying leader, "To what do I owe the honor talking to one of the organization's leaders?"

17. - Top - End - #107

NinjaGuy

The woman touches down as her thrusterpacks cut out, and despite the noise, seems to hear Emily just fine. She smiles welcomingly.

"Greetings. It's just standard procedure. We like getting to know prospective members a little bit, to see where they might fit in. I'm Kaydara, of the Red Dragon," she says, extending a hand for Emily to shake, as though it's the most natural thing in the world, even though Emily is nearly twice as large as she. Perhaps she does shake hands regularly with people of Emily's size, who knows?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Emily regards the leader's hand for a moment before reaching down with her own. Now, to say this sort of thing is a little awkward would be to understate it somewhat - the mechanics of this kind of move means that you simply can't rely on standard conventions of exchange. So, instead, Emily will grasp the Red Lady's hand between her thumb and index finger and shake lightly like that. It's about as close to a human hand maneuver she can pull off, after all.

"Scaleback, though my real name is Emily Grant."

19. - Top - End - #109

NinjaGuy

Kaydara's shake is firm, despite the difference in size, and from the easy way she manages it, the Red Dragon leader must interact with people Emily's size on a regular basis. Her smile doesn't change.

"Well met, then. Which do you prefer? I don't mind being a little more personal, if that suits." She nods to the guards, who go back to their stations, then gestures for Emily to follow her. "This way, if you don't mind. We can chat in a slightly more pleasant setting."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

[Road From the Northeast]

"When I'm doing fieldwork or working with people who I'm likely to fight against or beside, I prefer my codename," Emily says. She'll step back onto her enormous motorcycle to follow Kaydara at solid speed, and because she doesn't want to leave it alone out here. She could walk along behind the robotic woman, of course, but if she wanted to keep her vehicle safe, that'd mean revealing a trick she doesn't want to show off quite yet.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Barbarian in the Playground

HQ Main Building - Meetings

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post

Kaydara eyes Malice up and down, scrutinizing every square millimeter of the MagClone as he introduces himself and Rasputin. She looks unimpressed until he mentions that his predecessor single-handedly conquered the Nexus. Her expression shifts then, to a comradely smile.

"Fun, yes. I can see why the Dragons wish to meet you now," she says, not bothering to introduce herself. After all, Chaeron already has, so no need to reiterate.

Balthius, on the other hand, simply watches, his mechanical eye clicking and whirring, before he nods at Chaeron.

"Indeed. We should not delay longer." He steps back, further into the chamber, as does Kaydara. Chaeron steps forwards, and all three turn to face Malice.

"This is...unusual for us, but...desperate times. The Dragons will explain further," he says calmly. With that, all three of them start to change slightly.

Kaydara's eyes change color, going from red to a shimmering gold, before her scelera fill with the same color. Her gaze doesn't waver from Malice, but she seems to relax slightly, as wisps of light, like the flickering of flames, coalesce from the edges of her eyes into a flickering ghost that hovers above her head, the image presented of the head of a massive, and obviously very old red dragon.

Balthius's head nods downwards, until his chin is practically touching his chest, his visible eye closed. Little black and grey wisps of smoke begin to flow from his augmentations, forming a cloud above his head, that begins to writhe and seethe with tiny crackles of green lightning, before forming into a similar spectral image of an ancient and powerful black dragon, its glowing green eyes fixed on Malice.

Chaeron spreads his arms, bent at the elbows, his fingers curled around balls of light that suddenly appear in his hands, arching his back, his mouth open in a silent scream. From him, flow not one, or two, but dozens of spectral draconic forms, each taking a place in the air above the group. Different colors, representing every color of dragon Malice has ever encountered or probably read about, all of them showing signs of incredible age. Two of the largest, though, are a green, its yellow spectral eyes surveying the group, and a sickly-looking blue, who seems much more interested in Malice than any of the others.

After a silent moment, there is a voice, like slowly tuning into a radio station. It is deep, and thunderous, but the speaker also seems to be wounded. There is a marked pain in their words.

"This is the one? Speak, mortal. Are you able to fix that which is both flesh and machine, bound together as one by both sorcery and science?" Most likely, this is the blue dragon speaking, but it's difficult to say where the words are coming from exactly.

Malice sighs, his eyes heavy with poorly-concealed disappointment. To just about anyone else, this would surely be the highest of honors, rebuilding the dragons that would conquer the world, but to him and his gargantuan ego, it feels like an insult. They would make him their mechanic, their dragon repair boy. A humble little pet technician, rather than the unstoppable criminal genius he is meant to be.

"[You see? This was all a waste of time. I told you, did I not? They could hear the desperation in your voice, the need to be a part of something greater than yourself. Surely you saw this coming,]" Grigori Rasputin gravels in his native tongue, comfortable speaking such treason knowing that none of the CAVE people gathered here could possibly understand a word of it.

[I did see this coming, and don't call me Shirley,] Malice answers defiantly. Rasputin sighs, realizing that if Malice is using puns like that, puns that don't translate into the language they're speaking at all, then he's obviously using the translator again, and never bothered learning how to actually speak Russian. Ugh, typical Malice hubris.

"I am flesh and steel, machine and magic," he finally answers the dragon. "There is nothing I could not build or rebuild, given the time and resources." He really believes it, too. That's why he's so comfortable chattering with his minion instead of answering right away. One such as him owes no fear or subservience to these lizards. The dragons likely won't be pleased with this, but Malice isn't overly concerned with what the dragons think. He isn't about to enter a relationship where submission is expected of him. Better the scalies understand their place now, rather than later.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [HQ Cafeteria]

Kaydara unwraps her bar, which changes color slightly, its glow turning slightly purple, before she engulfs it in what seems to be about three bites, then sits sipping her coffee, watching Nemo for a few moments.

People don't seem to mind having to walk around Nemo's wings. Some of the androids even have wings that are larger, if she takes the time to look around. Finally, the raven-haired commander nods to her.

"What sort of surroundings are you more comfortable in? What sorts of things did you pursue in your free time? We can provide quarters, but it would be helpful to know what would be more useful to you, things like lab or study space, or areas to hone martial pursuits and that sort of thing."
    [HQ Cafeteria]

Just because other people around also have large wings doesn't make her feel more comfortable about her own - but, yes, if she bothered to look around she'd realize that people are okay with it and nobody's judging her for it.

"I've always wanted something that feels normal," she claims. "But, I like books also. People to talk with, maybe as well?"

But she should work out. That'd be helpful overall. Maybe a training regimen.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

23. - Top - End - #113

NinjaGuy

[Headed South]

"I see," Kaydara says simply. Balthius probably would have been a better choice for this, but the mad scientist is currently busy. "Well, I'm sure we can help you with your goals, if you're willing to reciprocate in kind. I assume your crew is well-versed in the art of battle?"

[HQ Cafeteria]

Kaydara nods, mentally flicking through accommodations while Nemo finishes her meal, before finding something suitable.

"I believe I have something that should suit nicely," she says, standing slowly. "A little more private, but there are common areas nearby, if that sounds good."

[Dark Wilderness]

The hardened android soldiers pause when they hear the goat bleat. Two of them take several quick, cautious steps to put them closer to Larukh, moving to shield him should something jump out and try to attack. The others simply aim their weapons towards the source of the sound, but no one actually fires. Not yet, anyways. They wait for either a target to expose itself, or for Larukh to order them to fire. Professional bunch, all of them.

[Road From the Northeast]

Kaydara leads Emily through the checkpoint and up the road a bit, to a larger gate and garrison with a secure garage, where some of the vehicles Emily saw on patrol earlier are parked. Kaydara gestures to an open spot.

"Your bike will be safe here." She gestures towards a large door. "This way, please. Would you like something to drink?"

There's a stillness for a moment, as the dragons seem to be considering. Then, all at once, there are dozens of deep voices laughing in amusement. They must have been able to pick up on what Malice and Rasputin were saying to each other, even though they made no indication to stop it. Even Kaydara, Balthius, and Chaeron look amused, though they do not speak. Finally, the din dies down, and what is clearly the red dragon speaks.

"This one has spirit! Good! We approve." Kaydara herself nods at Malice, but still does not speak. The black dragon above Balthius speaks next, instead.

"He is amusing. We have no objection." Balthius's head doesn't move, but he raises an arm, and gives Malice a thumbs up. Chaeron himself speaks next, though his mouth never moves.

"The Well approves." He makes no gesture one way or the other, but finally, the blue speaks once more.

"We can move forward, then. We have an offer to make you, Malice." No more the address as "mortal", or the attempt to intimidate. The image of the sickly blue dragon drifts down to address Malice from an "even" footing, at eye level. "Use your knowledge and power to repair me. This much you have probably surmised. In return, I will bond with you, and grant you my power, knowledge, and control over all of the forces I create. We will be true allies, both strengthening the other, a symbiosis, neither controlling the other, but both aiding one another, my goals will be your goals, and you will represent me in all things going forwards. What say you?"

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

[Red Base Parking Lot]

"I'm fine without for the moment, thank you," Emily says, looking around. Hmm... old dwarven architecture. That makes her task here a bit more troublesome unless she can find a dedicated support pillar. Something to figure out later; for now, she'll step off her motorcycle and will follow Kaydara's indicated path. Hopefully, there isn't a security checkpoint...
    Last edited by Halae; 2020-02-22 at 06:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Headed South

"Aye, we be well versed in th' arts o' war. We got ten cannon, three windcallers an' a willin' crew." Though they aren't particularly impressive compared to the other technology the Conquering Alliance has displayed, every little helps- and this lot come with a large vehicle pretty much designed for raiding and hit-and-run attacks. "Me crew's aim is mostly t' get paid till they can find somewheres an' settle down, or so they tell themselves. Most of 'em live for life of glory an' adventure on the endless dunes, plunderin' an' lootin' all we find." But not CAVE. They're here because they think that CAVE might help them plunder and loot elsewhere. And the ship's windcaller advised them to, so they can learn more magic.

26. - Top - End - #116

NinjaGuy

Headed South

Kaydara resists the urge to roll her eyes or facepalm, but she does frown slightly. They're land pirates, of course they're looking for loot and plunder. And they have a....unique ship, something that might be able to throw enemies off if they're expecting more the more conventional vehicles that CAVE normally uses. Well, simple enough, then.

"Well, there isn't much for dunes around here, but if you stick with us, there'll be plenty of loot and pillaging to be done. We can provide a safe berth for your ship and crew as well, if you need it." No reason not to let them join, and if they've half the wanderlust it sounds like they do, they'll probably be at least semi-autonomous, which can only be a good thing. She makes a mental note to shuffle them off onto Balthius ASAP, though. The pirate talk is going to give her a headache if she has to deal with it on a regular basis, and the madman, meanwhile, absolutely LOVES it. "Does that suit?"

[Red Base Parking Lot]

Kaydara leads Emily into a ready-room obviously meant for people of Emily's stature. She gestures towards a large table, and takes a seat opposite of Emily. The architecture here is a mix of dwarven and more modern construction. An android soldier brings in a large pot of coffee and two mugs, one Emily-sized and one Kaydara-sized, bows to both of them, and retreats. Kaydara doesn't make a move towards the refreshments yet, but instead simply smiles at Emily.

"So, tell me a little about yourself. What sort of goals you have, what you think the Alliance can help you achieve, and what you can offer in return."

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Headed South

"Aye, that do be suitin' me. Do it suit ye, lads? Er, an' lasses, o' course." Alyss and Zinzibarr both nod in agreement, though the windcaller shakes her head.
    "I would also be interested in advancing my magic, and that of my apprentices, the sandcallers Sanssipel of the White Crust Ocean and Ierikk Toeplunder the Exile of Haethingdwel. I will be willing to teach my mastery of air and sand, and I'm sure that Ierikk's knowledge of blood magic will be of some interest... Though if we are not docked, I must take at least one of them, or another apprentice with me." Ierikk Toeplunder is a halfling; quite unusual for a ship's windcaller not to be a sand elf from the deep desert.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

[Red Base]

Emily lets out a very small sigh of relief when she realizes there's no security checkpoint to get in this deep, but clamps down on that well enough to ensure she doesn't alert Kaydara. She'll take a seat on the floor, crossing her legs - that gives her about the same eye-level as a normal-sized individual.

"Payment," Emily states brusquely, "I've been known to do work for fees; I'm an expert investigator and fighter, and have more tricks in my toolbox than most people realize. Give me a place to take down, and I can handle it solo without any help if need be."

29. - Top - End - #119

NinjaGuy

Headed South

"I believe one of my colleagues may be able to help with that. Once you've gotten settled, you'll be reporting to him. His name is Balthius of the Black Dragon." Kaydara gestures towards the Black Dragon's mountain. "He has facilities that can be used in the furtherance of your magic. If you'd like to dock your ship at the compound, I'll let him know you're on your way."

[Red Base]

Kaydara raises an eyebrow in surprise. She wasn't expecting a mercenary to arrive so soon, but then, Emily isn't a representative of a mercenary company, just a freelancer. Still, she probably has the references to back up the claims she's made or else she wouldn't be here.

"I see," Kaydara says simply, considering for a moment. "We could definitely use your services. I take it you would need little else from us other than our funds, then? I don't think we would have need of your...destructive skills, but infiltration and intelligence gathering is always something we can utilize. What's your standard fee for a mission of that nature?"

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

[Red Base]

Emily states an hourly rate that's in line with what one would expect from a professional investigator; not unusually high, not underselling, "I reserve the right to turn down jobs I don't agree with, however. I have ethical and moral standards I hold myself to, and no amount of money will break that integrity."