New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XI

Sieghard

Urgrim wasn't wrong. Sieghard could think of a few examples of ruthless things he himself had done. He had never pretended to be a moral paragon.

"All the more reason to know what sort of things the man has been involved in," He replied. "Do the Dwimmulsons do any trade with Barak Varr? Perhaps someone up at the Rock has heard the full story. Or if not, could we try getting a message to someone you know and ask?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-12-19 at 01:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

(Coronation)

The dance was exhilarating. Jocasta might not have give Irene Sforza sleepless nights but she was someone Adelbert really liked. It did however become clear that she had rather more stamina than he.

Eventually he managed to find his way to Sir Tancred. The man's total lack of recognition was deflating, but he'd persevere.

<'Er... my wife is in good spirits Sir Tancred,'> Adelbert said. He lowered his voice. <'Forgive me but I have a matter of a little delicacy to request...'> He motioned to a spot less likely to be overheard. <'As perhaps you have heard the Duke Alvarr is dead. I was His grace's court librarian and owe a debt of honour to him and by chance I am in possession of his ring... I think he has sister still living and would see it returned to her. May I ask your aid in this endeavour?'>
    Last edited by RossN; 2019-12-19 at 08:26 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

The Coronation

<I did not know the Duke had a sister,> said Tancred, surprised. He hesitated. <Is she in distress?>
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "Lot of the folk in the pass headed for the Downs after your men let 'em out," she said. "I don't know if she's still with 'em. The men at the Dog said the reward was for information? I'll come with you if you want, but I've got to eat, you know."
    "I'll give you two crowns now, on faith," said Elsa, doing so as she spoke. "Three more crowns if you come with us, we find her, and she does turn out to be gifted. Are you in?"

Elsa immediately headed to Sforza to inform him that a possible wizard had been found.

"It's important that I go meet her myself," she said. "I need to see if she's truly gifted. And we can't just send men in uniform to all but abduct her... She needs to see me just as much as I need to see her. Being a budding spellcaster is a terrifying experience."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-12-19 at 10:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 24th Nachgeheim

The woman took the money eagerly, nodding her assent to Elsa's offer. "Sounds good to me, your... your wizard-ness," she said, hiding the gleaming coins away in her tatty clothes.

Persuading Sforza would be a taller order. Waving away the latest townspeople who had come to pester him with a request, he listened seriously to Elsa's request. From his eyes, she could see that the prospect of having two wizards working for him at least had some appeal.

"Well... it could do some good to get you out of the city for a time," he said. "But you can't go alone, not with this vampire still at large. You'll need guards." He drummed his fingers on the arm of his chair. "Where did you say this girl was?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

"Where did you say this girl was?"

"I'm told she was last seen in Shepherd's Valley, among the refugees," answered Elsa. "So we might need to do some rumor-hunting to find her. I'd rather the soldiers with me were dressed as civilians... She'll make herself scarce if she learns the Prince's soldiers are looking for her."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

24th Nachgeheim

"You'll have a harder time hiding their weapons," said Sforza. "But uniforms or no uniforms, it makes no difference to me."

"Giovanni will be headed to the Shepherd's Valley soon - perhaps he can accompany you part of the way. I assume you want your guard drawn from Sieghard's militia?" He raised an eyebrow. "You have something of an affinity for them, if I remember."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #278

BlackDragon

Adelbert

<'I don't know,'> Adelbert admitted. <'The Lady Verena granted me insight, but I need help. I have the ring but there was a letter too, and I think I'll need help finding that if it still exists. As a gallant son of Bretonnia will you aid me in this quest?'>

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim and Sieghard

"Well, I'd be very surprised if there was no trade between them, that's Barak Varr's lifeblood. Couldn't say how regular it is. I can certainly ask around, though, see if there are any regular travellers or runebe– uh, runebearers, messengers." Urgrim had stumbled over that word, realising he was getting a little too close to speaking of the Undgrin Ankor in front of umgi. "Should be able to hire one, if there is. I've got ... family, in Barak Varr," he added, perhaps a little reluctantly. "I suppose I could ... write to them."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sieghard can probably easily tell that something about this line of conversation is making Urgi a bit uncomfortable – up to TheSummoner whether he puts two and two together with respect to Urgrim's previous comment about not being home in fifty years.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert, 24th Nachgeheim

Sir Tancred looked conflicted.<Well... I suppose it is a quest, in a way,> he said, working to convince himself. <You know I came here to seek the grail... but it has been more than a year, and I have not felt the Lady's presence. We spent three months on the western plain looking for some beast that was troubling the locals, but all we found were sheep. Isn't that right, Chlodbert?>

Chlodbert, whose attention had wandered, nodded vigorously at whatever his lord had just said.

<I had thought to seek out this sorcerer that they say attacked the Temple... what is it they are calling him? Jon of the Jackal. But perhaps this is a sign that my quest lies elsewhere.> He paused, blinking. <Where exactly did you say the good lady lives?>
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-12-20 at 08:15 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"It may be that someone in the Dwimmulhold already knows what happened without the need for a messenger," Sieghard said, noticing Urgrim's discomfort. "I could head up to the High Market on Marktag and ask around I suppose..." He doubted the dwarfs would have much patience for his questions once they realized he wasn't interested in buying anything. "But If you could find anything out before then, I'd appreciate it."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim

Urgrim nodded. "Aye, I'll go ask. Might have more luck than you, eh? I'll see what the links to Barak Varr are, too, in case nobody in the Rock knows. Any specific details to ask about?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Urgrim just has that last question and then he's happy to let Sieghard go.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

"Giovanni will be headed to the Shepherd's Valley soon - perhaps he can accompany you part of the way. I assume you want your guard drawn from Sieghard's militia?" He raised an eyebrow. "You have something of an affinity for them, if I remember."

"They're mostly locals, so they do blend in more easily," said Elsa, perhaps a tad defensively; she did not know how much Sforza knew about her relationship with Sieghard. "If the girl won't follow me, or her parents won't part with her, I'll leave her be. But I hope it won't come to this."

"I'll only follow Carraciolo if he leaves tomorrow," she added. "Every day we tarry is a day the girl might get killed by a superstitious mob, or head someplace else to avoid said mob."

Elsa, Sieghard and Ludo (and possibly others)

Elsa sought out Sieghard and Ludo immediately after, and briefly told them about the reports of a girl who spoke with goats in Shepherd's Valley. "I'd like to borrow half a dozen Thorns. If any of you want to come, you're welcome. I'd also like Hanna, if she's available; she should be able to put the girl and her parents at ease if they find the tattooed wizard and her men intimidating."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    We can safely assume Adelbert and Urgrim catch wind of this, in case they're interested too.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-12-20 at 12:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #284

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert stroked his goatee. <'As it happens I am friends with some of the Tilean's captains and may be able to properly introduce you. As for the whereabouts of the lady I am afraid I do not know that yet but hope to find out soon.'>

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

The Coronation

"The Tilean's captains?" said Tancred, seeming thoroughly lost. "Do they know where the lady is?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tancred is confused at the purpose of this, but don't let that hold you up from proceeding to any introductions you want to make.

Elsa & Sforza, the 24th

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel-
    "I'll only follow Carraciolo if he leaves tomorrow," she added. "Every day we tarry is a day the girl might get killed by a superstitious mob, or head someplace else to avoid said mob."
    "I believe he'll be a little longer than that," said Sforza. "Best that you make your own preparations, then. How long do you expect to be gone?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-12-21 at 07:14 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #286

BlackDragon

Coronation

<'Er... not quite,'> Adelbert said hurriedly. <'They can however help you if you wish to face the vampire. We could always use a skilled blade and gallant warrior. If you would follow me Sir Tancred.'>

He led the knight (and squire) over to Sieghard. He'd initially intended to go to Elsa but the wizardess seemed like she was enjoying herself a little too much.

'Sieghard, this is Sir Tancred a Bretonniann knight looking to fight the vampire and his pet sorcerer,' he turned to Sir Tancred. <'Sir Tancred this is Sieghard, one of Sforza's senior officers who has faced the vampire and his sorcerer minion more than once and lived to tell about it.'>

Turning back to Sieghard he switched to Reikspiel and lowered his voice. 'Can you do me a favour? I want to see Forkbeard, I need to ask him about something.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

At the coronation

"A pleasure to meet you, Sir Tancred," Sieghard said, finding it a bit odd that a Bretonnian knight was at Sforza's coronation. He listened to Adelbert's request and then gave his friend a funny look "Adelbert, I'd help you if I could, but I don't know where the man is or even if he's still alive. Why do you need to see him anyways?"

With Elsa

Elsa found Sieghard returning from the Fish. "She speaks to goats?" he asked, not seeing how that was either useful or magical. He could talk to a goat too if it was somehow kept from running away.

"You'll want Gustaf too," he offered. If you think the girl may try hiding, he'll be the one best able to track her down.

Spoiler
    Show
    We probably should find out more about the girl before you plan too far ahead. What she looks like, roughly how old she is, if anyone is known to be with her. It seems like you're assuming she's a child being watched over by her parents, but we don't know any of that for certain.

With Sforza

Elsa's news about the goat girl had delayed him somewhat, but once it had been dealt with, Sieghard made his way to where the captain was still dealing with requests from the people of the city. Not 'the captain' anymore, he reminded himself. It wouldn't help him if he forgot that.

"Prince Sforza, when the war began, you made a promise to those who would lead your men into battle," he said. "You said that once Alvarr's war was over, our service would be repaid generously. I have not followed you as long as the men who came with you to the Reaches, but I have served you loyally since the Battle of Manaan's Keep. I would like to discuss the reward for my service."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-12-21 at 10:53 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288

BlackDragon

At the coronation

Adelbert couldn't see the harm in being truthful. 'An initiate in Alvarran sent me Alvarr's seal ring. Before he died I think he was trying to send it to his sister - I had a vision of the Duke handing his seal and a letter to Jaegar. With both of them dead Forkbeard might be the only one left who can tell me where to find that sister, if she even still lives, and pass on the ring and the news of the Duke's passing.'

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

At the Coronation

Sir Tancred looked blank at Sieghard's Reikspiel greeting. His page - a skinny youth with a bowl haircut - mumbled a hurried translation, at which Tancred nodded and gave Sieghard a curt bow.

"Sir Tancred says the pleasure is all his," said the page - but Tancred was already speaking to Adelbert in Breton again.

<Forgive me, m'sieur Schreiber, but which is it you wish my assistance with?> he asked. <To help find the maiden, or to pursue this sorcerer?>

Sieghard & Sforza, 24th Nachgeheim

Sforza didn't look best pleased to have his long day's work increased, but he listened all the same.

"What reward is that?" he asked, when Sieghard had finished. "Something more than your pay, I assume."
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-12-21 at 11:44 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

The Coronation
    "You had Alvarr's ring sent to you. And you had a vision of him giving it to Jaeger, you think for his sister. So you want to see Forkbeard, the prisoner, to see if you can perform this task for Alvarr, the defeated lord, and you're asking for us, the soldiers of his sworn enemy, to do you a favor to help with this?"

Ludo hopped down from his stool and went looking for more alcohol.

Talking to Elsa
    "I'd be interested too." Ludo said: he still harbored a desire to meet more wizards, especially if they didn't try to kill him. "And Urgi's a ranger, right? I bet he could give Gustaf a run for his money. Actually, I bet he could teach the trackers among the Thorns a few things."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo is with Sieghard meeting Sforza, but I'm not sure how to soften that particular demand so let's see what Sforza says first.

21. - Top - End - #291

BlackDragon

Coronation

Adelbert gave Ludo a death glare, and turned back to the Bretonnian. <'I apologise Sir Tancred, I had hoped the location of the maiden would be possible to divine but I fear not. I am afraid I have accidentally wasted your time and I wish you good fortune with your quest.>

Turning to Sieghard he gave a rueful smile. 'Never mind.'

He left to escort Jocasta back and mull over things.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

The Coronation

Now both Sir Tancred and his page looked baffled. After they had watched Adelbert go, Tancred turned back to Sieghard and asked something in Breton.

"Sir Tancred asks whether you know the whereabouts of the warlock who attacked the temple," said the page, with a long-suffering air. "He's heard this man might be a worthy foe."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

At the coronation

Urgrim was still hanging-on, mostly in silence, to Sieghard and Ludo when Adelbert called them over. He'd watched the interaction somewhere between pity and confusion, uncomfortable at the vision of human senescence in a man doubtless younger than him. He was relieved when Adelbert stopped pestering the old fool, but when the man's dogsbody asked again after "the warlock", a spluttering snort escaped.

He quickly darted after Ludo. —Our priest is going to get that umgi greybeard killed!, he muttered in Khazalid – as much as one could mutter a language that sounded like tumbling rocks.
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-12-21 at 02:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

The coronation

"They fled into the marsh and took refuge with a small army of madmen," Sieghard replied, not specifying where in the marsh they were. He didn't doubt that the knight was skilled, but no man could handle the vampire and Klammenberg and the ghouls in their lair on his own and Tancred seemed foolhardy enough to try. He much preferred sending the man on a wild goose chase than to certain death. "A large area he could be hiding and rough terrain. If you're determined to track him, make sure you have someone who knows how to navigate the marsh. There's no glory to be won getting lost among the reeds." He paused to let Chlodbert translate and then continued. "Of course, your horse will be of little use in the Mere, and the warlock is not the sort with the honor to face you in single combat. It would make for a better tale to face him on an open field."

With Sforza

Sieghard nodded. "That is what you said before we marched," he said. "That you would make us rich. Sussman has served you no longer than I have -" probably not true, but Sforza didn't know that Sieghard had reason to suspect that. "- and Falkenwald did not join you until the war was all but won. My service is worth no less than theirs."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-12-21 at 03:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "I believe he'll be a little longer than that," said Sforza. "Best that you make your own preparations, then. How long do you expect to be gone?"
    "That will depend on how long it will take me to track her down," said Elsa, "but I would hope no more than five days."

"You'll want Gustaf too," Sieghard offered. "If you think the girl may try hiding, he'll be the one best able to track her down."

"I think I need to follow rumors more than tracks in the mud," said Elsa, "but I won't say no to a skilled tracker. Wizards who harness the brown wind often avoid the company of humans. It's in their nature."

She also welcomed Ludo, though she still wanted Hanna in the group as well. Hanna might not be as skilled as Ludo as a diplomat, but an extra woman could not hurt when trying to convince a girl who had just survived a war that she would be safe among a group of battle-hardened soldiers.

Spoiler
    Show
    We probably should find out more about the girl before you plan too far ahead. What she looks like, roughly how old she is, if anyone is known to be with her. It seems like you're assuming she's a child being watched over by her parents, but we don't know any of that for certain.
    True, but I don't think these details would affect the composition of Elsa's group. I'll take a diplomat and a ranger all the same.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-12-21 at 03:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

The Coronation
    Ludo paused, and after Urgi had clarified that Du Bahorel was planning on going after Nahorek, sighed. "Good Esmerelda, that really would get him killed, wouldn't it. Right."

He turned, and materialised at the tall knight's elbow in time to hear Sieghard's suggestions. "We are, in fact, planning to go after the vampire - or his agents - soon," he lied smoothly. "I wouldn't recommend to your master that he go on his own, but we would be honored to have him join us. Has he, uh, has he faced the undead before?"

With Sforza
    "I think perhaps Commander Sieghard means that, with the reaches consolidated, mio Principe, that those of us who were priviledged to be at your side for the battles for Savonne were - wrongly, it seems - given to expect some small portions of the land we helped to win. Our soldiers are predominately locals - tradesmen, farmworkers, young men and women. They are not landowners, and few of them ever expected to be. To see that the gratitude of their new prince extends to all those who showed him loyalty - not just those who made it a condition of their loyalty in the first place - would encourage them to see you not as their employer, but as their prince. Loyalty and love they would pass on to their children, that would survive if the coffers ever ran low, that would not just defend their homes but march afield to expand your realms."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm test: (1d100)[96] vs 82

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

The Coronation

It took some time for Chlodbert to translate Sieghard and Ludo's remarks to his master. A lengthy exchange in Breton followed between the two of them - Ludo couldn't understand what Sir Tancred was saying, but he sounded like he was taking some effort to convince. He made out the words honneur and combat singulier. At last, a weary and browbeaten Chlodbert turned back to the others.

"Sir Tancred wishes to assure you that he has faced all manner of foul beasts in the Lady's name," said Chlodbert. "He asks, how soon do you intend to seek this sorcerer out?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just a point of clarification in case it's needed - Sir Tancred isn't super old. Probably in his forties.

24th Nachgeheim

Elsa & Sforza

"Five days," said Sforza. "Very well. Unless you send word, we will look for you if you have not returned in six."

Ludo, Sieghard & Sforza

Sforza gave Sieghard a long, hard look. "You wish to be rewarded as Falkenwald has been rewarded?" he asked. "With guardianship of a dead man's child?"

Raising a hand to forestall any answer from Sieghard, he listened to what Ludo had to say.

"I didn't know Commander Sieghard's interests lay in that direction," he said. "You have seen how I treat my veterans in Isolici. If you wish to retire and start a farm, I will see you settled with the best parcel of land that can be found. But I don't think your soldiering days are done. I take it you are asking for something more than that."

He fixed Sieghard with a questioning stare. "You must have somewhere in mind, to come to me with this. Where?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-12-21 at 07:25 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

The Coronation
    "We have some information gathering to do first." Ludo said. "Where will we be able to contact you?"

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

The Coronation

More back-and-forth in Breton followed - more than Ludo would have thought necessary for such a simple question.

"Sir Tancred will be lodging at the Duke of Aquitaine for as long as he remains in Savonne," said Chlodbert. "You are welcome to find him there."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

With Urgrim

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post
    "Aye, I'll go ask. Might have more luck than you, eh? I'll see what the links to Barak Varr are, too, in case nobody in the Rock knows. Any specific details to ask about?"
    "I know that they were working as guards for a group of settlers and betrayed them, but that could mean a lot of things. I'd like to learn the full story."

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot to respond to this before.

With Sforza

"The northern Thornwood," Sieghard answered, "Klammenberg and his vampire are in hiding, but they won't be idle. If we can't go into the Mere to hunt them, then we must be ready for when they make their move. My men can patrol the area between Painford and Ravenskird and keep watch where the forest meets the marsh. We've garrisoned both before - the people know us and and my men know the land better than anyone else."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-12-23 at 03:17 PM.