New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XI

At the Castle

If anything could spoil Irene's ebullient mood, it was Elsa arriving on the scene. A flicker of irritation crossed her face at Elsa's typically informal interruption.

"I haven't the first idea who those people are, Hildebrand," she said. "We can't all spend so much time fraternising with the common people as you do. Muzio will be here on the twelfth; you can pester him with your questions when he arrives." She looked Elsa up and down. "Perhaps you might think about making yourself look presentable some time between now and then."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard couldn't help but think Dolokhov's death seemed rather convenient given the man's distaste for the Falcons and determination to have Duke Alvarr taken alive. Perhaps it was nothing, but he was looking forward to hearing about the end of the siege from someone who had been there all the same.

"We'll give him a welcome fitting for the lord of the Reaches" Sieghard said.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

At the Castle

"Prince of the Reaches has a nice ring to it, don't you think?" said Irene. "I think it does."

She paused for a moment, lost in visions of crowns and titles.

"Very well, commander," she said, pulling herself back to reality. "You have work to do, and so do I. Everything must be perfect when Muzio arrives." She rose from her seat. "You are dismissed."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo had been hoping to find Sieghard or Irene to question, but instead in the castle gateway he found the messenger, dismissed, talking to the other guards and shifting from foot to foot in the manner of one profoundly saddlesore.

"We won, then," he asked. "What did it, Esteban and his cartload of turnips? Is Alvarr dead?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert gave the senior priest a look of wan amusement. As tempting as it was he decided to forgo the explanation about the younger Al-Khansa. 'I am afraid she.... er, he has left town Father Hieronymus.'

Nevertheless the following morning found him trudging around the Old Town looking for a man or woman literate in Arabyan.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I guess this is a Gossip test: (1d100)[79] vs 46.

Ideally Adelbert is looking for a scribe though really anyone literate will do - a cartographer say. If nothing turns up Adelbert will consider asking the dwarves. It might be a longshot but given their lengthy history they might have someone who can read one of the older manling languages.

(I am happy to move on quickly though, unless the book reveals incredible secrets.)

The arrival of Cezar cheered Adelbert up a little. As self effacing as the priest was it was also a relief to have someone emotionally and intellectually stable to look after the initiates. The hesitation about using the name 'Nahorek' was also troubling and supported Adelbert's own feelings that the Temple should downplay the link between the vampire and the spirit.

He spent the next week or so engaged in the business of the Temple.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert, Earlier

Just as Hieronymus had promised, it wasn't hard for Adelbert to find someone who could read Arabyan script in the Old Town. After some asking around, he was directed to a clerk at a copyist's on the west side of the district, away from the streets the fire had ravaged. Tall and thin, she peered through dusty spectacles at Raqiyah's book.

"You want a translation?" she asked, thumbing through the pages. "It would take some time." Opening the book to its preface, she read what Adelbert assumed was the title. "The abridged histories of Abdul ben Raschid, ben Moussad, ben Osman, as copied by Sahrazad of Lashiek. This book has come a long way."

8th Nachgeheim

By the gate, the messenger was enjoying being the centre of attention. Looking down at the sound of Ludo's voice, he nodded.

"Si," he said, "the Duke is dead. What do you mean by this 'cart of turnips'?" he asked. "Commander Carraciolo and the Captain, they dig under the city wall. Light a fire in the tunnel, e crac - the wall comes down." He slapped the flat of his hand against his fist. "I was there."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Fitting for the prince of the Reaches," Sieghard corrected.

He waited outside the door for Elsa and walked with her as they left. "I wouldn't count on Jager being alive. Or Forkbeard, for that matter. Sieges tend to either end in surrender or slaughter."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

"Who killed Alvarr?" Ludo asked, "The capitano? Carrociolo?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

"He fell in the square," said the messenger. For whatever reason, he seemed a little uncomfortable about getting into the details. "I don't know who took the shot. A lot of people were shooting." Looking around, he licked his lips. "It has been a long ride, my friends. Where can a man get something to drink around here?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you can see he's not champing at the bit to tell the story. Unless you want to do it blow-by-blow, I can take a Gossip test and a list of the info you want to get out of him and give you the upshot of the whole conversation. +10 to the test for each drink you're willing to buy him.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, we can't have you paying for your own drinks with a story like that," Ludo offered. "Come with us, have a few on the Thorns."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Questions:
    • What was the general story of what happened? Shooting in the streets - what happened after the walls were breached?
    • Any news on Jager? (And presumably Elsa will ask what happened to Forkbeard but idk?
    • What happened to the city after the siege broke - was it ravaged like Savonne?
    • What happened to Alvarr's body?
    • What happened to Dolokhov?

11. - Top - End - #41

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'Thank you, a translation would be appreciated,' Adelbert said, though there was a touch of hesitancy to his voice. Having read The Life and Words of Abdul ben Raschid he was less sure of the use of a mere abridged history but perhaps there would still be something to it.

Then it was back to the Temple to his day to day duties - and to wait.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

With the messenger’s horse safely stabled, Ludo and the rest of his audience of curious Thorns repaired to the Duke of Aquitaine, there to ply him with wine and questions. Once they had got him away from the subject of Alvarr’s death, it was easy to get him to recount the story of the siege.

“Commander Carraciolo had us digging that damned mine for weeks. It was worse than the Villa Vennia – all rock and stone. The Captain had tried scaling the walls, you see, but it didn’t work. The Duke Alvarr, he builds good walls.”

Another cup of wine – passed his way by Ludo – went down the hatch.

“Of course, for the Iron Company, is not our first siege. We dig under the wall with wooden posts” - he made an up-and-down gesture - “to hold the roof of the tunnel. When the day of the attack comes, we light a big fire down there. The posts come down, and the wall comes down too, si?

“As soon as the wall comes down, we are ready. The Iron Company attacks with the Storm Swords, so that all Alvarr’s men are holding the breach. Once we have them,” - he made a gripping motion - “Falkenwald and the ogres, they smash the west gate. Come around behind, so Alvarr’s men cannot get back to his castle.”

“We corner them in a square, in front of the chapel. Only the old men – many of the young ones, they surrender, or they run.” He took another swig. “The Captain has the north side of the square, Falkenwald has the south, and the old bear Dolokhov goes forward with a flag of truce.”

The soldier made a face, as though his wine was sour. “The old man convinced them to lay down their weapons. They knew it was over for them.” He kept drinking all the same. “All this time, the Captain is watching, on his white horse. He rides up to accept the surrender – but the Duke, he says something to him. I did not hear it, but I see the Captain’s face.” He drew a hand over his own face. “Like thunder.”

“Now the truce is no truce at all. The Captain gives the order, and bang, bang, the Falcons shoot them down. Carraciolo gives the order, and we march forwards through the smoke. Dolokhov and the Duke, they are already dead – or dying, I don’t know. Some of the Duke’s men and the Storm Swords are still standing. We finish them with the pikes.” He finished what was left of his drink. “It’s hard to kill a man who was fighting beside you just before. But this is war, you know?”

“Afterwards, the Captain tells us Dolokhov and the Duke were plotting together, to raise a new army and return to the Reaches. He says they take advantage of his mercy – that he never planned to let them go. And now we will have peace.”

He fell into thoughtful silence, soon interrupted by the others’ questions. He did not know what had become of the Duke’s body, nor of Jager – he didn’t know the man well enough to recognise him. On what had happened to Alvarran, he claimed the Iron Company had kept its discipline – but Ludo suspected a hardened mercenary’s definition of what was an acceptable amount of pillaging might differ from his own.

“It’s not like there was much to take,” the messenger added, casting around to catch the barmaid’s eye. “If we had kept the siege another week, they would have been making soup out of their boots. Old Alvarr was stubborn as a mule, to hold out so long. Him and his people both.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

"Dolokhov turned on you?" Ludo asked, surprised. "I knew he wasn't on our side. Remember how late he was at Arrow Heap?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

The messenger nodded unsteadily. "He was," he said, trying to focus on the wine cup in front of him. "He was late."

Swaying to his feet, he tried to excuse himself from the table. "Scusi," he said, heading for the door. "I need to take a piss."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know when you're done with this guy. He might need a hand finding his way back to wherever he's sleeping tonight.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #45

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Taking a break from his studies Adelbert traveled to the Market in search of a tailor. Ideally he would have liked a place to live too but given the current situation it seemed unlikely he'd find anywhere to rent.

'Robes maketh the man...,' Adelbert muttered to himself. Given his exalted position he really had to look the part, especially with the Conclave coming up...

OC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shopping!Gossip: (1d100)[61] vs 46.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo found to his surprise that he wasn't even all that uncomfortable about what sounded a lot like Sforza ordering an ally butchered. "Let's get you back to the barracks, then."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Rising from their seats, Ludo and the Thorns guided the unsteady messenger back to the castle. After the Tilean had been poured into a vacant bunk and left to sleep, Hanna exchanged an uneasy glance with Ludo.

“You don’t believe it, right?” she asked. “That the Storm Swords were going to turn? I mean… it doesn’t make any sense.”

The following days passed slowly. While Sieghard worked on making his men ready for the Captain’s return, Adelbert saw to the affairs of the Temple, checking in periodicially on the progress of his new robes at the tailor he had found on Seamstress’ Street.

On Marktag, Elsa took the opportunity to go up to the High Market, looking for Dwimmulson trinkets to go with her own new clothes. Though she only had to cross the North Market square, she noticed the way heads turned and whispers spread as she made her way to the base of the Rock. They were not friendly looks that followed her.

Ludo, meanwhile, was working flat-out to find shelter for the people still camped outside the north gate. It wasn’t easy. Few of them had money, and Savonne’s wells of charity had already been drawn dry. Commandeering as many of of the militia as he could, Ludo set about drawing up lists of untenanted living space - but when the people they had housed in the warehouses and militia tents by the river heard of this, they began to protest. They were born in Savonne, they said, not like these frightened farmers from the west Downs. If the Captain’s men had room and board to give away, it should be given to them first.

By the eleventh, there was still a small, sad huddle of tents outside the north gate, Ludo and his men having found shelter for only around half the Downs folk camped there. With the Captain’s arrival drawing ever closer, Ludo had no choice but to move them over to the larger camp beside the river.

Bezahltag, 12th Nachgeheim

The army was sighted late on Bezahltag morning, its progress marked by a rising plume of dust on the Alvarran road. People gathered on the walls to watch it approach, parents hoisting their children on their shoulders to peer over the age-worn parapet. Despite the city’s mixed feelings towards its newest lord, quite a crowd was gathering to see him return.

Irene had done her part to make sure it was worth their while. The streets were swept clean, the beggars and street vendors chased away. Sieghard’s militia lined the route the army would take from the north gate to the keep, their motley mix of uniforms scrubbed as clean as the castle washerwomen could scrub. From every arch and gatehouse along the way, the black-and-gold banners of the Sforzas hung, most of them stitched specifically for the occasion.

It was well past noon when the army entered the city, drums beating and trumpets playing a triumphal march. Sforza rode at the head of the column on his white horse, regarding the assembled watchers with a regal air. Behind him marched the massed ranks of the Iron Company, their banner flying at their head - and behind them rode Carraciolo, carrying the torn and bloodied boar's-head standard of Duke Alvarr.

In the centre of the parade, a couple of Abdul’s carts carried a small number of bedraggled prisoners. Sieghard thought he recognised Janos Forkbeard among them - the old man’s face was so filthy it was hard to be sure, one eye covered with a bloody bandage.

The prisoners ducked their heads as opportunists in the crowd jeered and threw rotten vegetables, eager to vent their anger on anyone less fortunate than themselves. The thunderous tread of the next mercenaries in line quickly stopped the barrage before it got out of hand: looming above the crowd like miniature mountains, the surviving ogres plodded up the road towards the keep, the Sermena Gamecocks double-timing along behind them. The halfling archers looked as if they had been more than a little bloodied - Ludo saw Gaffwick Grubb walking with crutches, while young Greenacre had an empty sleeve where his right arm had used to be. There were others, too, whose faces were missing from the march.

The last regiment in line were the Falcons. Armour and arquebuses gleaming in the late summer sun, they looked as neat and professional as the Iron Company pikes, though far fewer in number. Jurgen Falkenwald rode at their head, and the woman Gunda rode beside him, carrying another captured banner. Sieghard recognised it at once - it was the crossed sword and thunderbolt of the Storm Swords.

~

In the castle courtyard, Irene Sforza was waiting for her husband, resplendent in an emerald-green gown that had probably cost more than all the supplies that Ludo and Sieghard had shipped to the front. Riding through the open gates, Sforza swung himself down from the saddle and spread his arms to greet her. She rushed forwards to embrace him with a bubbling laugh, the warmth of her affection seeming to catch even the Captain off-guard. It was one of the few times Elsa thought she had seen Irene truly happy - not superior, not self-satisfied, but simply happy.

<It’s really over?> she asked him, as the Iron Company began to file in through the gate, respectfully diverting around their lord and lady. <He’s really dead?>

<He really is,> said Sforza, unable to keep himself from grinning. He unhooked a sword from his belt and presented it to her - Elsa saw a glint of what looked like silver on its hilt. <This is his sword. He must have taken it from the elf.>

<Ugh, Muzio, I don’t care about his stupid sword,> she said, pushing the weapon away. Her words were harsh, but her tone was playful. <You know what I want.>

<And you will have it, my love,> said Sforza. He planted a kiss on her lips. <Alvarran is ours. The Reaches are ours. You will be a queen, with a golden crown.>

Irene’s delighted laughter was so infectious that Elsa could almost forget who it was coming from. As she hugged her husband again, another sound was rising from outside the gates - the babble of many voices, raised together.

~

In the broad street between the west gate of the castle and the Great Hospital, Sieghard became aware of a disturbance in the crowd, pushing against the thin line of his militia that separated the marching army from the crowd. A small group were waving their hands above the heads of his men, clambering over one another in an attempt to draw the attention of the passing soldiers.

“Where’s the Captain?” one of them shouted, bellowing his lungs out to be heard. “Let us speak to the Captain! We need justice!”
    “Where’s the witch?” a woman screamed. “What’s he going to do with the witch?

The carts with the prisoners were now passing through the castle gate, the ogres and halflings close behind. Drawing his horse to a halt, Falkenwald looked down to where Sieghard was standing.

“Trouble with the locals?” he asked, a picture of polite concern. “If your men need any assistance, just say the word.”
    Riding up beside him, the woman Gunda rested the captured standard against her shoulder, and gave a predatory smile. “No charge,” she added.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #48

BlackDragon

Adelbert

On the day the Tilean and his lackeys arrived Adelbert had knocked on Cezar's door. The priest of Verena had not gone to see the army enter; the mental image of Sforza triumphant was every bit bad enough without having to witness the reality.

'Brother Cezar, I wish the appropriate ceremonies to be conducted for the late Duke to guide him safely to Morr's realm. Obviously this cannot be done in public and I highly doubt the body is accessible but if anything can be done for His Grace it must be done. I shall pay for any expense.' As he spoke Adelbert tried to keep his voice and expression calm, the anger and grief boiling away inside him. He dug his fingernails into the palms of his hands, almost to the point of drawing blood.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

"I was there when Dolokhov specifically requested Alvarr was taken alive," Ludo said, "and remember how late he was to the battle at Arrow Heap? Only joined in once we'd broken the back of them? I think him and the duke were old friends, and when push came to shove he wasn't willing to kill him. That... that's not entirely the same as turning on us, no. But it doesn't surprise me, as such."

"I'm not going to cry for him."
    he said shortly. "He waited to let us beat Alvarr himself and then joined in after Makeda and Baldo and Luther died."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"It's a long story," Sieghard said, exhausted by the whole thing. He tried to keep his tone polite. "Thank you for your offer, but I'm sure we can handle it,"

"No shoving!" he barked to the crowd. "Captain Sforza only just arrived! Keep order and he'll address you when he's ready!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Command vs 64.

(1d100)[66]
    (1d100)[33]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

8th Nachgeheim - Ludo

"Right," said Hanna, sounding more than a little unsure. "No tears for sellswords."

She didn't sound like she was brimming with sympathy for Dolokhov either - more general unease. Saying nothing more, she turned and headed back into the barracks.

12th Nachgeheim - Adelbert

"I'm afraid the rites of my order mean very little without the body, Father Schreiber," said Cezar in his calm, gentle voice. "I would hope they were done for him in Alvarran. Here, all we can do is offer a prayer for his safe repose in Morr's realm." He examined Adelbert's face, clearly seeing how deeply Sforza's triumphal parade had affected him. "I would be happy to pray with you."

Sieghard

Sieghard's intimidating appearance on the scene dispersed the nascent mob before it could start to grow, only the most die-hard of those shouting staying around to meet him face-to-face. No longer quite so outnumbered, the militia firmly held them back, their shouts absorbed into the thunder of drums and marching feet as the army carried on by.

Offering a casual salute to Sieghard, Falkenwald turned his horse and rode on.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-10-30 at 07:58 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #52

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert frowned. 'I see...' He was silent for a long moment, then. 'In that case I have little choice; I must go to Alvarran at once and recover the Duke's remains. I don't believe for a moment that glorified gutter thug out there on a horse gave Alvarr a proper burial. I failed the Duke in life - I won't fail him in death.'

He sighed, then took a hand to Cezar's shoulder. 'Thank you my friend, your prayers will help, but I suspect I'll need money - and accomplices - too.'

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa -- 12th Nachgeheim

It was Elsa's first opportunity to try on her new set of expensive clothes, crafted to look vaguely like a military uniform in keeping with her role as battle wizard. She knew she could not rival Irene Sforza in terms of extravagance (nor would she want to), and so she had gone in another direction, aiming for the sort of intimidating and functional outfit that a king's faithful enforcer or bodyguard might wear while on duty in a formal setting. She also wore the ivory bracelets gifted to her by Sieghard and a simple brass torc that she had bought from the dwarfs the other day at a price that struck her as entirely unreasonable.

Spoiler
    Show
    In terms of general aesthetic, I picture Elsa's noble garb as similar to Thalmor robes from Skyrim, except without a hood or any headgear.

As Sforza's army filed into the city, Elsa peered at the prisoners in the carts. It was probably too much to hope for that a hated familiar face such as Arnulf or Fauchard was among them. She spotted Forkbeard among the captives but took no pleasure in seeing him there, looking so badly mistreated. Irritating as the man was, he deserved no worse than just being stripped of his titles and possibly exiled.

Gods, I hope that's not all the men Sforza left alive out of Alvarr's entire army. We'll need a great deal of soldiers soon.

Elsa's gaze rested on the late Alvarr's sword when Sforza presented it to his wife. She remembered seeing it tear through Makeda's armor; at the time she had wondered if it was enchanted or just wielded by a very strong arm. She reached out with her mind to detect any magic.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Magical Sense 88: (d100)[46]

When Elsa started hearing cries of witch from the crowd, she gritted her teeth and tried to keep a tight lid on her fight-or-flight instinct. They would not try any violence; not with Sforza and his army right here in the streets. But they damn well intended to keep the pressure on him. If Sforza was faced with the prospect of a full-blown revolt unless he had his wizard hanged, some hard choices might have to be made soon.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-10-30 at 10:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Cezar looked quietly concerned. "The conclave is in four days," he said. "I doubt Father Hieronymus would want to hold it without you present. If this is what you want, why not let us send some of the older initiates to Alvarran in your place? It would be a good test of their abilities."

The Castle Courtyard

Sforza had looked round briefly at the sound of the shouting from outside, but didn't seem to pay the words much heed. As the army continued to march through the gate, he kissed his wife again and walked over to Elsa.

"Hildebrand," he said, stiffly. From his manner, Elsa wondered how wise it had been to let Irene send her report sight unseen. Then again, it would have been difficult to have stopped her. "I think we have much to discuss. Come find me later." He looked around. "Where is Sieghard?"

As the last of Sforza's column marched in through the gates, Sieghard was bringing his militia in behind them. The courtyard was as packed as he could ever remember seeing it - up until now, the militia had had the luxury of being able to spread out in the old barracks of the cavernous crusader castle. Now he could see they were going to have to fight for their living space.

The smoke of cook-fires was already wafting from the kitchens, and as Sforza stood surveying his troops, Irene glided up beside him once again. <The servants are preparing a small banquet for your officers, Muzio,> she said. She cast a sidelong glance at Elsa. <I suppose of Hildebrand wishes she can attend as well.>

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sforza doesn't have any business so urgent that he has to discuss it while standing in the courtyard - let me know if you guys want to talk to him or any of the other returning characters, or if you'd like to move on.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #55

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert looked doubtful. 'I'm not sure it will be so easy to find Alvarr's remains. Still... if you think the initiates can manage it perhaps that is the way to go about this. You can send the best candidates to me.'

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Cezar gave an equanimous shrug. "If they encounter difficulties, they can write to us for help. I don't know these initiates as well as Brother Liebrecht did," - he made the sign of the raven across his breast - "but Petre and Nastassa are the oldest. They should be ready for some responsibility."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #57

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'A fair point. Very well we'll try that route first.'

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Day drew into evening, and the returning army settled into the kind of merry-making that only followed the end of a long campaign. Iron Company men swayed this way and that through the now-crowded courtyard of the keep, singing Tilean marching songs. The taverns and brothels of the Savonne did a brisk business with the bands of soldiers that roved from door to door, while under the shadow of the north wall of the castle, the remaining ogres roasted a whole ox over an open fire. The smell was delicious, but the few men who were drunk enough to enquire learned that yes, the ogres were planning to eat all of it themselves.

In the castle’s ancient banqueting hall, Sforza and his officers were enjoying a different kind of feast. Irene had really pushed the boat out - course after course came and went in the light of a forest of lamps, servants hurrying anxiously this way and that with plates of richly-flavoured meats and jugs of aged red wine. Old Mouna watched with gimlet eyes from the shadows of the kitchen doorway, ensuring that everything was done as the Lady Sforza desired.

After rattling about for so long in the ancient fortress with only each other and Irene for company, it felt almost strange to see so many faces around the table. Carraciolo, Al-Makir and Falkenwald sat closest to the Captain and his wife: besides them, they were also joined by Leona Groz, Doctor Bianco, the most senior of the surviving Southlanders, and a very intimidated-looking halfling from the Sermena Gamecocks. Valdes and Barbaro were the only ones missing: Valdes and his men been left in Alvarran to keep order, while Barbaro had apparently been sent to Putbad on ‘important business’.

“It’s good to see you again, Sieghard,” said Carraciolo, as Sieghard took his seat. “You had us a little worried with how long that first shipment took, hey? A man can get tired of catching sheep for his dinner.”

“Ignore my friend Giovanni, my friend,” said Abdul, smiling. “The Captain is very grateful for your hard work securing our line of supply. I am sorry I was not here to help - I know how tricky these grain merchants can be.” His eyes flicked down the table towards Elsa. “And I have heard grain merchants were not the worst you had to deal with.”

Once the main courses had been and gone, and the returning heroes had told their share of war stories from the siege, a lull descended in the conversation. Carraciolo took the opportunity to begin thumping the table with his fists, crying out for a speech - a call that was taken up by the other officers around the table. Even the halfling joined in, seeming anxious to fit in. Grinning and waving for silence, the Captain rose to his feet.

<My friends!> he said, raising his voice in fine oratorical fashion. <My brothers. I cannot pretend I have not given… some thought on what to say on this day.> A polite ripple of laughter ran around the table. <A day we all knew was coming since the day we set foot in the Reaches!>

Carraciolo and Al-Makir cheered loudly. Falkenwald smiled and took a sip of his wine.

<When we came to this land,> Sforza continued, <what did we find? A pack of wolves, snapping at each other’s throats. A country where every man with two friends who could hold a spear called himself a prince. Well, we have shown them that we are not such little men. We came here to be kings, and a kingdom is what we have made.>

More cheers, more pounding of fists.

<My friends, this victory belongs to you! You who have fought beside me from Tobaro to the Araby shore, from Last Water to the gates of Alvarr’s last fortress. I promised each of you that if you fought by my side, you would go home as rich men. If you wish to call upon that promise now, I will honour it. Every man here has earned his reward.>

<Courage is the virtue that cannot be counterfeited. You have had the courage to fight beside me, to help me carve the name of Sforza into the stones of this land.> Quiet descended as his gaze swept the table. <But what I have done up to this is nothing. I am only at the beginning of the course I must run. I ask you, do you have the courage to stay with me? When your grandchildren ask what part you had to play, will you tell them from a stool in a Tobaro tavern? Or will you tell them as a lord of the Reaches?>

The thunder of fists from Carraciolo and the others seemed to answer his question. He raised his cup. “Sangue e oro!” he boomed.

Sangue e oro!” the table toasted back.

"What is he saying?" whispered Leona, leaning over towards Elsa - she hadn’t understood a word of the Captain’s Tilean. Before Elsa had time to answer, Irene had already risen to her feet.

<Muzio has spoken more beautifully than I ever could,> she lied, with total sincerity. <But I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for what you have done for us. As long as there is a Sforza in Savonne, none of your names will ever be forgotten.> Her gaze passed round the table, hardening as it passed over Elsa as if to say: not you. Just as quickly as it had appeared, the look was gone, and she gave the assembled officers a radiant smile. <It gives me great pleasure to say you are all invited as honoured guests to our coronation on the twenty-first.>

Beaming, she sat back down again as the table erupted in cheers, basking in their adulation with the pure, unadulterated happiness of a child with a new toy. Poor Leona Groz just looked blank as she waited for the cheering to die down.

~

After the banquet had ended and the servants had begun clearing away the dishes, Elsa rose and followed the Captain through into the great audience chamber of the keep. Gloomy and echoing, it was a stark contrast to the celebrations that were still ongoing in the barracks and the courtyard. Alvarr’s captured banner had been propped against the wall, behind the throne where the Duke had used to sit.

“So,” said Sforza, taking a seat. “I hear you have been busy.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-11-02 at 12:34 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

“It’s good to see you again, Sieghard,” said Carraciolo, as Sieghard took his seat. “You had us a little worried with how long that first shipment took, hey? A man can get tired of catching sheep for his dinner.”

“Ignore my friend Giovanni, my friend,” said Abdul, smiling. “The Captain is very grateful for your hard work securing our line of supply. I am sorry I was not here to help - I know how tricky these grain merchants can be.” His eyes flicked down the table towards Elsa. “And I have heard grain merchants were not the worst you had to deal with.”
    "A gentleman felt he should have a cut of the captain's business." Ludo explained. "We took him down off the wall a few days ago to hang a banner in his place. And, of course, the business at the temple. Has the captain passed the details of that on to you?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded as Ludo spoke. "A necessary delay, unfortunately." He took a long drink. "The man was stockpiling blackpowder. Had we been less cautious in dealing with him, the shipment may have ended up at the bottom of the Azril."