New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XI

Painsford

"Hoi," Urgrim called with a wave to Ludo and Gustaf. "Where's Sieghard?"

When they found him, Urgrim gave his news. "I followed them up the river road for a day and a half. They forded the river near that smelly village, south of the city. Skirted round that, and then turned south again on an old road. That was two days ago.

"They're not making bad time, for such a group – going a bit faster than I expected," he admitted. "Maybe just shy of fifteen miles a day. That was on the river road, though. They might be a bit slower across the downs. Still, if they're not already back in the woods, they must be close."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2020-04-23 at 04:32 PM.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Irene was standing beside her husband, her hands folded in front of her. She looked over at Elsa as she joined them.

"Hildebrand," she said. "Still wearing the same clothes as yesterday I see. Do you only have the one set?"

The castle gates swung open, and the knights of Morr came riding through. One of them, clearly the leader in his deep purple riding-cloak, swung himself down from the saddle and handed the reins to the waiting stable-boy. Markos looked more than a little intimidated to find himself holding onto the knight's enormous warhorse.

As the rest of his men filed slowly into the courtyard, the knight raised his visor, revealing a scarred face framed by bushy grey whiskers. Seeing the Sforzas, he came clattering over. "Am I right to think I am in the presence of Prince Sforza of Savonne?" he asked. His voice was gruff and aristocratic, with an eastern tinge to his accent - Elsa suspected he was a Stirlander.

"You are," said Sforza. The knight didn't bow, but extended a gauntleted hand for him to shake.

"Götz Kleinrabe, Preceptor of the Knights of the Raven, at your service," he said. "Heard you're having something of a vampire problem."
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-04-23 at 05:03 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

At some point over the last few days

"The madman seems to hold a particular hatred for you, priestess," Sieghard said to Jocasta. "I wouldn't put it past him to harm you if he thought he could. You're welcome to stay in Painford under my protection if you like. We've got strong walls and a shrine. It's no Savonne, but maybe that'd be more to your liking."

"Whether he realizes it or not, Armin is a puppet for the vampire." he continued after she had answered. "You said that Father Balios warned you about him. What did he say?"

Aubentag, 33rd Erntzeit

"I suppose I shouldn't be surprised," Sieghard said. "More lights from the marsh and now this. That madman will lead those people to their deaths. Were they heading due south or were they tending east? Or west?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-04-23 at 06:12 PM.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

"Hildebrand," Lady Sforza said. "Still wearing the same clothes as yesterday I see. Do you only have the one set?"

Elsa forced herself to smile. "Hmm, maybe it's high time I married someone rich. Let me know if you learn of a viable candidate."

"Götz Kleinrabe, Preceptor of the Knights of the Raven, at your service. Heard you're having something of a vampire problem."

"And not a small one," Elsa found necessary to interject, as she thought the knight made it sound like a rat infestation. "Our foe is a sorcerer of formidable power. Older than the Empire, and mighty enough to make many of the locals believe him a god."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what else there is to say right now, as I'm not going to have Elsa launch into lengthy explanations when she is not the one being addressed, but I assume you broke off here to give Elsa a chance to say something.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-04-23 at 11:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Previously in Painford

"Thank you for the offer," said Jocasta, "but my ministry requires me to travel. I'll stay here until we see all these people settled - then I think I should return to the Downs."

"Whether he realizes it or not, Armin is a puppet for the vampire." he continued after she had answered. "You said that Father Balios warned you about him. What did he say?"
    "He said he was dangerous," was Jocasta's first recollection. "When he saw him at the Conclave, he was unhappy that Mother Raqiyah let him go. He said Ahalt is a northern heresy - an old cult that refused to submit to Taal's authority." She trailed off. "I wish I'd asked him more at the time."

Elsa, 33rd Erntzeit

Elsa forced herself to smile. "Hmm, maybe it's high time I married someone rich. Let me know if you learn of a viable candidate."
    "Oh, I'm sure you don't need the help," murmured Irene, keeping her eyes fixed on the newcomers. "An unwashed pyromaniac whose hair sometimes falls out of its own accord? You must be fending suitors off with a stick."

Her husband nudged her to be quiet as the knight of Morr approached.

"And not a small one," Elsa found necessary to interject, as she thought the knight made it sound like a rat infestation. "Our foe is a sorcerer of formidable power. Older than the Empire, and mighty enough to make many of the locals believe him a god."
    "It's not uncommon for the children of the night to consider themselves gods," said Kleinrabe. "Our order exists to remind them that they are beasts to be hunted." He looked Elsa up and down. "To whom am I speaking?"

Sforza smoothly interjected. "Allow me to introduce Beatrix Hildebrand, my court wizard," he said. "She has been here since this whole vampire business began."

"Wizard, eh?" said Kleinrabe. "You must have friends in high places, your Highness. I didn't know the Colleges had a presence this far south."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #726
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert had been kept busy with Jocasta helping with the refugees and when they reached . Unfortunatly what they needed at least as much as shelter was food and there was only so much he could there.

At least while at Painford (and while avoiding Rhadegund) he'd encouraged the newcomers to participate in the Mittherbst celebrations. The reappearance of Urgrim reminded him that they still had a vampire to deal with and he had drifted over to join Sieghard and Ludo. 'Do you think we'll see an attack?'

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

Painford, Aubentag 33rd Erntzeit

"South," Urgrim confirmed, "more or less direc'ly. I'd guess they were aiming to rejoin the forest road, after getting around you at Ravenskird." He shrugged. "Which is to say, it's how you'd make for the Hidden Vale, as he claimed. But the mere hugs the forest for the length of that road, if I recall the lay of the land correctly."

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

"You must have friends in high places, your Highness. I didn't know the Colleges had a presence this far south."

Elsa could not tell whether Kleinrabe was serious or whether this was a subtle jab to let her know that her status as a rogue wizard was painfully obvious, so she found it safer to neither confirm nor deny anything. Let Sforza be the one to do so, if he so wished.

"I've fought the vampire face to face, and I've garnered quite a lot of knowledge about his powers," she said. "I've even learned a bit about his history." Out of respect for Sforza's authority, she did not voice the "...so let's get inside and discuss this in a more comfortable and less public setting" part, but she hoped it was loudly implied.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

"You must have had a long journey from the Empire, Preceptor," said Irene. "If you and your men want food and rest, our home is your home."

"Thank you, my lady," said Kleinrabe, with a courtly bow. "As a matter of fact, we've come from closer by - I was in the Geistenmund Hills hunting a pack of blood-drinkers when we received your priest's letter." He removed his helmet, revealing a mane of unruly grey hair. "Still, food and rest would be much appreciated."

Within an hour, the great hearth of the castle kitchens had been lit, and Kleinrabe's retinue were being wined and dined in the great hall of the keep. Even out of his armour, the grizzled Morrite looked intimidating. Still powerful and broad-shouldered despite his age, the scar on his face had twisted his upper lip, leaving him with a permanent expression of impatience. Combined with his gruff manner and flinty grey eyes, it was enough to send most of the servants scurrying for cover as soon as he looked their way.

Irene was not to be deterred. Playing the gracious hostess, she laid on the charm with a trowel, and fairly soon Kleinrabe was treating her and her husband with as much courtesy as he seemed capable of. Between bites of a leg of roast duck, he introduced the other members of his retinue at the high table.

"This is my First Knight, Aldred Drakken," he said, motioning to the brown-bearded bear of a man on his right. "My squire, Kateryn," - this was a young woman with short blonde hair, who looked distinctly nervous at being in such distinguished company - "and of course, our friend from the Fellowship of the Shroud, Brother Merrick." The priest who Elsa had seen carrying the knights' banner bowed his head in respect. Short, gaunt and serious-looking, his head was shaved bare much like the initiates at the Temple. Unlike the knights and their soldiers, he had scarcely touched his food.

"The letter we received mentioned something else besides the leech," said Merrick, his voice high and nasal. "A book of necromancy? We would strongly recommend you allow us to transport any such volumes back to Altdorf for safe keeping."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It would be quite remarkable if Kleinrabe was chill enough about Elsa being a rogue wizard to be subtle about it. Not impossible, but much more likely that he's currently taking it at face value that she's legit.
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-04-24 at 10:08 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

"A book of necromancy? We would strongly recommend you allow us to transport any such volumes back to Altdorf for safe keeping."

"We would love nothing more than to be rid of it," said Elsa, helping herself with the food but not touching the wine. "The vampire's made an attempt for it already, even managing to raise the dead on grounds consecrated by Morrites. Several people, including a priestess of Morr, died protecting it. But for the same reason why we'd like the Book far away from us, we must be extremely careful in moving it anywhere. Secrecy is of the utmost importance. The vampire is mighty even without it; if he got his hands on it, he would be practically unstoppable."

She paused and set down her food. "That's not all. I'm not sure how this will sound like to you, as I don't know the breadth of your experience in these matters, but the Book appears to have a will of its own."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    OOC: It would be quite remarkable if Kleinrabe was chill enough about Elsa being a rogue wizard to be subtle about it. Not impossible, but much more likely that he's currently taking it at face value that she's legit.
    I guess Elsa is getting so used to intrigue that someone speaking earnestly is throwing her off a little bit.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-04-24 at 10:27 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

"And you've tried burning it?" asked Kleinrabe. Sforza nodded.

"The letter said it was a copy of one of the Books of Nagash?" said Merrick, leaning forward and lowering his voice. "I would not be surprised at all to hear that such a book was subject to... sorcerous phenomena. If nothing else, the errors and alterations introduced by the men who make the copies can be almost as dangerous as the knowledge itself." He sat back and took a very small sip from his cup. "A brother of our order pursued a necromancer in Ostermark who stripped his own flesh from his bones trying to cast a spell from such a book. Thankfully that book was burnable."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

"And so was the necromancer, I'm assuming," said Elsa dryly.

She straightened up in her chair. "I can tell you what I know about the vampire, but even once you're armed with that knowledge, I wouldn't advise you to ride off to kill him right away. Not until we've gathered a few more people who've faced him before. Once I've explained, I think you'll understand. Insofar as there is such a thing as an ordinary vampire, I don't think we're dealing with one."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lots of grounds to cover here, so I won't bother to write whole paragraphs of orange dialogue. If the knights listen to Elsa, this is what she will tell them about the vampire:

• His name is Nakht-Horeb. He dates back to the civilization of Lahmia. He plagued the Reaches a long time ago before he was defeated and imprisoned in the Red Pyramid.
    • (exaggerated air quotes) "Child-in-darkness of W'soran, whatever that means."
    • He was freed from the Red Pyramid on Hexensnacht by an enigmatic black-clad traveler called Klammenberg (unlikely to be his real name). Klammenberg can cast illusion spells, and while he is of only modest power as far as wizards go, he notably uses an arcane language when casting spells. This suggests he is not a mere hedge wizard, but College-educated, or at least taught magic by someone who was College-educated. The Grey Order may know something about him.
    • Nakht-Horeb is a spellcaster who rivals or even surpasses the lords of the Orders of Magic. Can cast a spell that makes those who stand too close feel as if their vitality is being drained from them. Neither armor nor strength of will seems to provide protection from this spell. Can cast a magical protection that makes him nearly invulnerable to all but the strongest attacks. Can also cause a powerful and sudden rainstorm.
    • Nakht-Horeb possesses a jackal spirit-form that is visible to those with the witch-sight. When needing to move quickly or make a hasty exit, he has also been known to turn into a large black jackal; it is unknown if he can cast spells while in that form, as he has not done so yet.
    • Is believed to be responsible for a blight that is spreading in the southern Downlands and the Thornwood.
    • His power seems to peak on Hexensnacht and Geheimnisnacht. He used the former to escape his prison, and the latter to launch an attack on the Temple of Morr. If the pattern holds, he is likely planning something for next Hexensnacht, in 4 months, though that does not mean we have nothing to fear from him until then.
    • In addition to Klammenberg, he holds court over a community of degenerate cannibals and ghouls. (Do we have an idea of their numbers? I think Adelbert would have been able to make a fair estimate while crucified during their banquet after the Rivermouth disaster.)

Two things Elsa will not mention just yet:

• Where exactly Nakht-Horeb and his allies are. She does not want the knights to throw their lives away until they have a better plan than "go over there and kill him".
    • The spear. If we mention the spear, they will demand that we give it to them. Then they'll go fight Nakht-Horeb on their own, they'll be killed (because RPG campaigns are not won via off-screen NPC battles), and we'll lose the spear.

Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-04-25 at 02:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Merrick listened closely, but Kleinrabe seemed less interested, focusing more on scoffing down another duck’s leg.

“Hexensnacht and Geheimnisnacht are when the walls between worlds are at their thinnest,” said the bald priest. “It’s not surprising that your vampire should appear most active then. Many practitioners of the forbidden arts choose those nights to attempt their black magicks.” He gave a thin smile. “Harvest time for the witch hunters.”

“You’re right about one thing, Magister,” said Kleinrabe, setting down a gnawed bone and pouring himself a full cup of wine. “There’s no such thing as an ordinary vampire. There’s only one thing they all have in common.” He took a deep swig. “They all die when you put a silver blade through their heart.”

The big man Aldred furrowed his brow. “...And they all drink blood?” he added.

“Two things they all have in common,” said Kleinrabe.”The point is, you needn’t worry, your Highness. We’ve killed more than our share of leeches since we left Siegfriedhof, and this one will be no different.” He thumped the table. “Moltke! Where stands the count?”

His squire looked up from her plate, startled at being addressed. “Um, s-seven, sir!” she stuttered. “After the Geistenmunds, I think - I’m pretty sure it’s seven.”

“Seven! Aye, there was a whole brood of the creatures up there. We put them all to the fire. Morr willing, this one makes eight.” He finished his drink. “So, where is the beast?”

“Skulking in the marshes, south of here,” said Sforza. “But you and your men must be tired, Preceptor. We will be having a small Mittherbst celebration here tomorrow… stay with us tonight, rest, and we can discuss strategy in the morning.” Like Elsa, he had been drinking little, keeping a careful eye on his guests. “And we can introduce you to the priests who summoned you here.”

“That would be most appreciated,” said Kleinrabe, “thank you.”

“Those… barefoot gentlemen who followed you,” said Irene, “we may not have space for them inside the castle walls.” She gave an apologetic smile. “Too many servants and soldiers taking up beds. I’m afraid we weren’t expecting so many guests.”

“Not to worry, your Highness,” said Merrick. “The brethren are used to fending for themselves. I’m sure they’ll be fine.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Previously

"The man has a fondness for using that sickle of his, I know that much," Sieghard said. "I've got no proof if it, but I suspect he doesn't just use it on animals if you catch my meaning. First time I saw him, he was leading a small village on the other side of the Teeth. Hadn't been for too long though and the man I was working for at the time had his own suspicions about what happened to the village's last leader." Of course, they're all gone now too....

Aubentag, 33rd Erntzeit

'Do you think we'll see an attack?'

"Most likely," Sieghard said. "He's moving. I can't say what his goal is, but he's after something. We'll need to warn Manaan's Keep and send word to Savonne."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard will confirm the location of the lights with the scouts and then send two runners. One to Sforza and one to Manaan's Keep.

"Witchlights spotted in the Mere. Vampire on the move, heading south. Still far from land, but nearing Rivermouth. Possibly marching on the Vale. Will continue to track their movements./Ready defenses in case of attack."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-04-25 at 06:54 PM.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa found Kleinrabe far too cocky to her liking. She would love nothing more than for this problem to be solved by other people, but these particular people seemed to badly underestimate what they were up against. If a magical spear had been crafted specifically to slay this vampire, surely it was because nothing less would do, not even a silver blade. Still, she was reluctant to mention the spear at all; the knights would then demand it.

"You're going up against many people, not just a vampire," she reminded the knight. "The swamp people were already a cult-like bunch even before the vampire walked among them, and they will fight just as fervently as your own followers. They are in their own element... unlike your horses. And you won't catch them by surprise, because Nakht-Horeb has risen birds from the dead to serve as sentries. Even my raven familiar could not get within a hundred yards without being spotted. They killed him."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-04-26 at 12:12 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

"The marsh is our greatest obstacle," Sforza added. "Otherwise, we would have burned them out months ago."

"Mm," said Kleinrabe. "We'll have to find a way to deal with these degenerates too... but I trust we'll have your assistance in that." Sforza gave a slight nod. "Our first focus must be the leech. Cut off the head, and the body dies. True for the living, doubly so for the undead."

"Well," said Sforza, "as I said, perhaps talk of strategy is best saved for the morning." He rose from his seat. "Preceptor, you are welcome in our home. If the gods allow it, perhaps this long trial will be over soon."

"Believe it, your Highness," said Kleinrabe. He put his fist over his heart. "Morr is on our side."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

"Morr is on our side."

Last Geheimnisnacht, Morr failed us, Elsa almost replied. But she held her tongue. There was no arguing with people of faith. She doubted any hasty expedition that did not include Sieghard and the spear would defeat the vampire. But at the very least, if they could get rid of Nahorek's mortal followers, it would undoubtedly be a major setback for his plans.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

Mittherbst

Painford

On the morning of Mittherbst, Sieghard rose with the dawn to see his messages to Manann’s Keep and Savonne despatched. The sun had barely risen above the treetops before Urgrim was setting off too, taking a small party of Thorns south through the woods along the edge of the marsh. With luck, they would confirm the sightings of Ludo’s sentries.

In the village itself, Sieghard did his best to make sure that Painford was ready to defend itself. For the first time in weeks, the axes of the woodcutters outside the walls fell silent. The villagers couldn’t help but notice the change. Too intimidated to ask Sieghard directly, Gavril asked Ludo in a roundabout sort of way if he knew what was going on.

Day drew into evening, and the great bonfire in the village square was lit. The harvest had been too meagre to make much of a feast, but Jocasta led the villagers in songs and dance all the same. To the villagers, it was a tribute to Rhya and a celebration of the turning of the seasons. To Adelbert, it was a bright candle against the darkness. Outside Painford’s walls, death and darkness might be lurking in the shadows of the marsh - but here and now, in the circle of firelight, they were alive.

Urgrim

At the edge of the woods, far from the warmth of the fire, Urgrim and his scouts huddled in a clump of bushes looking out over the Mere. There was a distinct autumnal chill in the air, and some of the Thorns were quietly grumbling about missing the celebrations. Urgrim didn’t see what they were missing - the umgi had too many holy days to remember to begin with, and barely any of them were about beer.

Wisps of mist were rising over the still waters to the west, but so far they had caught no sight of any lights. The moons rose above the marsh, and still they saw no signs of movement. All they could hear was the chirping of insects in the softly rustling reeds, and the occasional whine of gnats trying to land on their ears and necks. It was going to be a long night.

Savonne

At the castle, the Sforzas’ ‘small’ Mittherbst celebration turned out to be a five-course banquet. The kitchens were a frantic whirl of activity as the servants scrambled to adjust the quantities to accommodate Kleinrabe and his retinue. The last dish was a peach tart, made according to a Tobaro recipe that Irene had specifically requested, and the cooks were living in a state of sweaty terror at the thought of getting it wrong. Everyone remembered Georgeta the taster.

Up in the castellan’s solar, Irene was reclining on a chaise-longue with her eyes half-closed, like someone exhausted from a hard day’s work - though it was still morning. Her husband stood by the window, talking with the Morrites and a delegation from the Temple. Hieronymus and Cezar had been summoned at daybreak, and had been more than happy to come and meet Kleinrabe and the templars.

“...so you mean to say this jackal-worship is tolerated?” Merrick was asking. “It sounds like rank heresy to me.”

“Well,” said Hieronymus, “we all honour the gods in our own ways. And until the appearance of this, ah, Nakht-Horeb, it seemed innocent enough.” He paused. “The similarities are disconcerting, to be certain, but traditions are hard to shake… and we may have bigger problems to worry about.” Barbaro poured him a cup of his Arabyan kofi, which he accepted gratefully. “Like what to do with one of the original Books of Nagash.”

Merrick stopped dead. “Original?” he said. “You’re mistaken. There were only nine originals.”

“Well,” said Hieronymus, “one of them is here.” His tone was pleasant, but he seemed to mildly enjoy contradicting Merrick. “I’ve seen it for myself. It would be very hard to mistake it for a… lesser work.”

Merrick looked dumbstruck. After a long pause, he asked: “May I see it?”

“It’s currently buried under six feet of earth here on the castle grounds,” said Sforza. “Which is where I would like it to stay until these necromancers of ours have been dealt with. Then you will be most welcome to take it as far away from here as you please.” He looked across to Hieronymus and Cezar. “And resolve these… ecumenical matters.”

Kleinrabe nodded. “So then,” he said. “Strategy.”

“Strategy,” Sforza echoed. “As Magister Hildebrand explained last night, the creature has made his home in a very inaccessible place. And the degenerates that follow him have proven themselves clever enough to set ambushes, and dangerous in numbers. I will of course support you to the limit of my strength, but I don’t wish to throw men’s lives away.”

“We are well-acquainted with the kind of men who follow the dead,” said Merrick, regaining his composure. “Some craven souls are drawn to power, no matter how dark.”

“There were the retainers of Madame Babelin,” said Kleinrabe, counting off on his fingers. “And the brides of the Geistenmund beast, of course. How many of these wretches did you say there were?”

“A small village’s worth,” said Sforza. Kleinrabe frowned. He seemed more sober and cautious this morning than he had last night.

“That many?” He paused. “Well, if the beast surrounds itself with its slaves, then we must devise a plan to draw it out. With your Highness’ permission, I will take my men south tomorrow and begin scouting this marsh where it hides. Once we’ve seen its territory, we will have a better idea how to destroy it.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-04-29 at 05:18 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

"Not all of them are fully human," Elsa chimed in, on the subject of Nahorek's servants. "There are reports of pallid, hunchbacked creatures with sharp claws and teeth. Haven't seen them in action, but they are said to be quite fierce."

But I'm assuming you're familiar with that, too, since clearly you know everything.

Perhaps those knights were legitimately as good as they claimed to be, and had what it took to succeed. Perhaps it was just Elsa's immense pride that could not stomach the idea of having spent so much time and risked life and limb trying to deal with Nahorek's minions only to be outstaged by some cocky newcomers in fancy armor. Still, she could not shake the feeling that whatever would or could defeat Nahorek, these knights were not it.

When Kleinrabe mentioned a scouting trip, she nodded absent-mindedly but did not volunteer to join it. If Kleinrabe or Sforza asked her directly, she would do it, but she doubted such a venture would teach them much that they did not already know. If they got close enough to Gilbertus' Manse to learn anything new, they would also be close enough for Nahorek to see or sense them and do something about them.

Oh, how I wish Sieghard were here...
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-04-27 at 05:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim

Urgrim pulled his cloak tight around him, and tried not to let his attention drift away as he stared out into the mist. He sighed, and stretched his arms above his head.

"It'd be nicer back by the fires," he said to the umgi, trying to make conversation. "But I won't say I'm sorry to have dragged y'out here. I trust ye all know what we're up against." He looked from beardless face to face. "Did I fight beside any of ye at the Temple?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Urgrim would recognise Ingwald, but probably not anyone else who was there.

21. - Top - End - #741

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert did his best to help Jocasta with the festivities, flitting too and from the groups (though awkwardly avoiding Rhadegund). This wasn't quite familiar practice to him as a townsman but he could see the importance both to the gods and the people.

As the evening wore on he kept his wits up just in case the call came to fight, refusing any drink stronger than water. He might not have Sieghard's skill with weapons but he was going to try his best.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard spent most of the day on edge, making sure Painford would be ready in case of attack or that his men would be ready to march at a moment's notice. More than once, Adelbert noticed him gazing south as though he expected to see scouts returning or dead men marching in the distance.

"You could try speaking to her," Sieghard suggested. Despite his preoccupation, he still noticed that Adelbert was going out of his way to avoid Rhadegund. "Maybe apologize for leaving her behind."

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

"Those who spend too long in the presence of necromancy invariably become corrupted," said Merrick. "Let us just hope that the beast has not sired any new get among its followers."

Kleinrabe shook his head. "What makes a man follow a vampire?" he sneered. "Lust for power? Fear of the grave? Or are they just born with a heart full of wickedness?" He looked to Sforza. "No matter. My men can deal with a few degenerate leech-worshippers."

Sforza gave a careful nod. "My steward Sieghard in the Thornwood has fought the creature. A good soldier. He will be able to help you with your reconnaissance."

"And of course, the Temple will give you its full support," added Hieronymus. "Some of our brethren are in the south now, trying to hold back the creature's influence. They should be somewhere near Ravenskird. I believe Father Schreiber in particular has more experience of Nakht-Horeb and his followers than anyone else in the Reaches."

"Thank you, holy father," said Kleinrabe. "Then it's settled. We'll leave tomorrow."

Urgrim

The Thorns looked to one another.

"On Geheimnisnacht, you mean?" asked one of them. "I was there with Roth's lot. Saw the things at the temple gates, but I didn't see... it." There was an uncomfortable pause. "Is it true what they say, that it jumped clean over the city wall?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-04-29 at 05:48 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim

"I think that bit o' the tale has grown in the telling," Urgrim replied. "And I know that, 'cause it was m'self and the Commander that spoke to the woman who saw it," he added, with a gentle smile. "The monster can turn itself into a big black hound. Apparently it fled up the steps onto the city wall, and then just jumped off. It's true enough that it can float and hover a bit, like a damn marsh fly – saw it do that on Geheimnisnacht – but when it wanted to run away, it did it on four paws."

25. - Top - End - #745

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'We spoken enough,' Adelbert replied stiffly to Sieghard's suggestion he talk to Rhadegund. Clearly annoyed he moved off to attend to other parts of the festivities.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard sighed as Adelbert walked away. That man was his own worst enemy. He went to find Ludo - he wanted to hear the halfling's thoughts on what Klammenberg's monster was up to.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

"We've got to go to Kheneb again," was Ludo's opinion on the matter. "There are people there who know how this plays out, who were there for it before. We have so many questions and they can answer them. If Elsa gets permission from Sforza we can go with troops, and if she doesn't we can go on our own."

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Ludo, you know I can't just pack up and leave," Sieghard said. "If Klammenberg is making his move, it's all the more reason I need to be around. Someone has to protect this place."

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, then I'll go on my own," Ludo said, "but without more information, all we're ever going to do is be on the back foot, over and over again. We'll have to be lucky every time, he only has to be lucky once."

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard stared at Ludo for a moment. "Let's deal with what's in front of us first, then we can worry about that," he said. "Information isn't gonna be worth it if we let him and his monster have free reign while we're out getting it."