New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XI

Carraciolo raised his eyebrows. "Blackpowder?" he said. "We could have used some of that, digging the tunnel. Wonder where he was getting it from."

"Bringing it down the river no doubt, friend Giovanni," said Abdul. "All the blackpowder in the Reaches comes down the Azril. More or less." He took a sip of his wine. "Expensive stuff."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa ate with a will—she had not eaten enough lately, focused as she was on her reading—but remained sober, drinking only a single cup of wine over the course of the evening. She knew she was currently on a tightrope after the Savonne fire, and she needed a clear mind if she was to navigate the next few days. Though she found Sforza's good cheer encouraging, she was less than enthusiastic when he announced that he was only getting started. Hopefully he meant that he intended to rebuild and strengthen the country he now governed... not look for more territory to conquer.

With no other friends nearby, Elsa tried to strike up a friendly conversation with Leona Groz, awkwardly asking about her baby and the state of commerce in Putbad. She studiously avoided Sforza's gaze.

But the meeting with the Captain was inevitable.

"So," said Sforza, taking a seat in the audience chamber, after retiring from the festivities. "I hear you have been busy."

"We have," Elsa said carefully, well aware that Sforza likely intended the singular you. "Priests murdered. An attack of the restless dead on the temple of Morr. I'd like to say we won, but some of those responsible managed to escape... and they include a vampire of considerable power. The threat is dire indeed."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-03 at 12:25 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

"And in the process of looking for them," said Sforza, "you set fire to my city." He raised an eyebrow at Elsa, a focused glint in his eye. "Or do you not think that worth the mention?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa pursed her lips. She supposed it was no use to deny it. "I do have a share of responsibility in this. I had it under control, right up until I lost consciousness... and then it was out of my hands. We owe the dwarfs and our militia a great deal."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

"I already owe the Dwimmulsons a great deal," said Sforza, sharply. "I did not need to owe them more."

He gave a curt exhalation of breath. "They came here for your book, yes? That is what Irene's letter said." He didn't wait for a response. "Where are this necromancer and his allies now?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

"I couldn't say for sure," admitted Elsa. "They escaped very fast, taking advantage of a chaotic situation, and we know Klammenberg as someone who travels a lot. But they have allies in the degenerates of Rivermouth, who, last I checked with my familiar, had moved to Gilbertus' Manse. It's a ruined building in the swamps near Ravenskird."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

"The swamps," said Sforza. He gave an exasperated sigh. "Mannaggia..."

"One thing at a time," he said, after some time sunk in thought. "First, the coronation. Then, we cut the head off this necromancer. Then, we deal with the book. As long as we have it here, others will come for it. The caballera had the right idea, to send it somewhere far away."

He shook his head. "So much trouble for something of so little use." He looked to Elsa. "It is of no use, yes?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-11-05 at 12:16 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa did not like that last question much. She answered truthfully: "I know no one alive who can even read it. And it has a mind of its own; it is a living, thinking thing, and likely loyal only to its creator, the Great Necromancer. I would not dare use it, even if I could."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

"Very well then," said Sforza. "The north road is as clear as we can make it now. I will have Daniele write to the temple of Magritta, to ask them to take it off our hands." He stroked his beard in thought. "It will do no harm to win some favour with the Aguila Ultima. In the meantime, we can bury the damned thing. Let them bring shovels if they want to try to steal it again."

His mind seemingly made up, he rose from his seat. "Find the necromancer. Use whatever means necessary. I don't want conjecture or rumours, I want facts." He drew in a deep breath. "When the coronation is done we will mount this creature's head on a pike. Perhaps we can even send it to Magritta with the book, and the caballera's remains."

He fixed Elsa with a searching stare.

"And Hildebrand... the next time you have such an 'accident' as this, I will not protect you." He paused, watching her face. "The war is over for now. I need a wizard who can do more than start fires." Another pause. "Do we understand one another?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

The temple of Mymidia was pretty far down the list of clergies that Elsa would have considered when it came to safeguarding the Book. Not that she distrusted the Myrmidians; she merely considered necromantic artifacts to be far outside their domain. She supposed they had many soldiers at their beck and call, which was a definite plus, but if she could call upon anyone in the Old World to do something about the Book, she would choose either the College of Light, or the Amethyst Order. However, bringing the Colleges into the picture would also put her in great danger, and she doubted that her good faith in handing over the Book of Nagash would be enough to spare her from execution as a rogue wizard.

"And Hildebrand... the next time you have such an 'accident' as this, I will not protect you."

"Neither would I expect you to," Elsa assured him. "It won't happen again."

She sensed that the conversation was nearing an end, so she said quickly: "It would be useful to know how the chips have fallen in the Raven Hills, politically. Wadim, their holy man, may have been watching the vampire for longer than we have. Also, two of the Jarl's inner circle have seen the undead threat with their own eyes and lived to tell the tale. I believe Morr's Seat is now, if not our friend, at least the enemy of our enemy."

A smile tugged at the edges of her lips. "Oh, and we'll have to think of a new name for Alvarran."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-05 at 06:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

She sensed that the conversation was nearing an end, so she said quickly: "It would be useful to know how the chips have fallen in the Raven Hills, politically. Wadim, their holy man, may have been watching the vampire for longer than we have. Also, two of the Jarl's inner circle have seen the undead threat with their own eyes and lived to tell the tale. I believe Morr's Seat is now, if not our friend, at least the enemy of our enemy."
    "Jarl Rorik is dead," said Sforza. "His allies are gone, his army - if you can call it that - is beaten. If his people don't agree they are now part of my domain, they will have to be corrected."

He didn't sound like he thought that would be difficult.

"I will be appointing lords to govern my new lands. If you think the hill tribes can be useful, you may accompany whoever receives that appointment."

A smile tugged at the edges of her lips. "Oh, and we'll have to think of a new name for Alvarran."
    That at least seemed to lighten the Captain's mood.

"Apparently before Alvarr arrived, the locals called it 'Butcher's Cross'," he said. "Irena has a nice ring to it, don't you think? La Castello Irena."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

"I will be appointing lords to govern my new lands. If you think the hill tribes can be useful, you may accompany whoever receives that appointment."

"Oh, I... don't think they like me much over there," admitted Elsa. The Battle of the Burning Hill had claimed a fair few Raven Hills lives, and she had played a not insignificant part in that. "I would welcome a chance to meet Wadim in the foreseeable future, either in Morr's Seat or here. See if he knows anything we don't about what we're facing."

"Apparently before Alvarr arrived, the locals called it 'Butcher's Cross'. Irena has a nice ring to it, don't you think? La Castello Irena."

"I'm... sure the town's almost-namesake will be overjoyed," said Elsa, dodging the question with a perfectly truthful statement. "I would add that names that reference shepherds or the Pass would also be evocative, readily accepted by the Reaches' natives, and likely to stand the test of time."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I believe it would be Il Castello, not La Castello, as the word has a masculine gender. (I don't speak Italian, but French is pretty close.)
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-06 at 12:22 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, I... don't think they like me much over there," admitted Elsa. The Battle of the Burning Hill had claimed a fair few Raven Hills lives, and she had played a not insignificant part in that. "I would welcome a chance to meet Wadim in the foreseeable future, either in Morr's Seat or here. See if he knows anything we don't about what we're facing."
    "They don't like you very much here either, from what I have heard," said Sforza, unimpressed by Elsa's reluctance. "Sometimes one has to settle for being feared instead. Go, don't go, it makes no difference to me. If you want to find this man, I leave it to you."

"I'm... sure the town's almost-namesake will be overjoyed," said Elsa, dodging the question with a perfectly truthful statement. "I would add that names that reference shepherds or the Pass would also be evocative, readily accepted by the Reaches' natives, and likely to stand the test of time."
    "Shepherds?" said Sforza, incredulous. "You would take a city, with blood and battle, and name it after shepherds? I think you have had too much to drink." He looked her up and down. "Or perhaps not enough."

He waved her graciously away.

"Go on, go back to your friends. This should be a night for celebration. Enjoy it. And tomorrow," he added, "find me this necromancer."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa gave Sforza a quick nod and salute and walked out. That had gone better than she expected. She had failed him several times before, but at least she remained useful enough to keep around. She aimed to keep working on the second part and avoid the first.

If she caused one disaster too many, she would most likely not only lose her employment. She would lose her head. Such was life for a wizard, it seemed, no matter the country you were in. You were either a living weapon in someone else's hands, or you were on the run from those who wanted you dead. There did not exist much of a middle ground. Perhaps, if she survived all this, she would move to some sleepy village far away from here and lead a quiet life, never using magic again or letting anyone know where she was from and who she had once been. It seemed to be the only way a rogue wizard, or any wizard for that matter, could get a happy ending; free from bondage, or the long arm of a misguided justice, or the pressure to be useful.

But truth to be told, she doubted she would live to see it.

Death was everywhere. Death had breathed down Elsa's neck before, and would again. Each day since fleeing the Colleges was a day stolen from Morr. Each month was an exploit, each year a small miracle. Her luck was bound to run out. She needed to stay sharp as a knife, but she also needed to enjoy life while she could. It was a balance that was sometimes hard to keep.

In that spirit, Elsa paused to consider whether she should follow Sforza's advice and celebrate, or retire to her chambers early.

Then she realized she could do both at once.

She just needed Sieghard.

OOC: Done for the night.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-07 at 12:11 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

The following morning after prayers Adelbert made his way to the Keep. He was hardly relishing the sight of the Tilean in situ but he tried to put that out of his mind, and concentrate on his task. Trying to ignore all else he rapped on Elsa's chamber door.

'Good morning. I hope you are feeling a bit more recovered because it is time we discuss matters. Maybe over breakfast at the Duke?' Adelbert didn't say it aloud but he was fidgeting, clearly anxious to leave as soon as possible.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

There seemed to be a brief moment of agitation behind the door, including some muttered cursing.

Then a stern Shhh!

Then Elsa's hurried voice: "Uh... Yes! Yes! Go on ahead, we'll—I'll be there in a moment!"

At the Duke

It took a while for Sieghard and Elsa to arrive at the Duke, but coincidentally, they walked in at the same time.

"Sforza wants me to find the vampire or her allies," said Elsa, early on in the discussion. "I've sent Morrslieb on a flyby of Gilbertus' Manse, to see if anyone seems to live there."

She kept her voice low, as there were a lot of ears around here.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-10 at 03:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #77

BlackDragon

Adelbert

A blushing anointed priest quickly withdrew, trying his best not to let his mind wander.

At the Duke

Adelbert had sent a messenger to the Dwarfs in the hopes Urgrim could attend the meeting. As it happened he was the first to arrive and was about to eat his porridge when Elsa and Sieghard arrived. He pretended not to notice.

'That's good thinking,' Adelbert said, his own voice quiet. 'I think you should address the Conclave Elsa... I know, I know you aren't exactly the most religious person around but you are expert in the arcane. I know Urgrim has spoken to the priests here but it might not be a bad idea for him to tell the newcomers. We'll be electing a new high priest or priestess so getting all the information we can is important.'

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

It was no small relief when Sieghard realized it had been Adelbert knocking at the door rather than one of the servants. He had warned Elsa that they would have to be more careful now that the keep was fuller than it had ever been. Of course, it still hadn't taken much persuading to have him sneak away from the feast with her.

"Hopefully you won't be needing me to speak with them," Sieghard said. "With the war over, I was planning to head to Manaan's Keep to fetch the spear."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-11-11 at 04:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    'That's good thinking,' Adelbert said, his own voice quiet. 'I think you should address the Conclave Elsa... I know, I know you aren't exactly the most religious person around but you are expert in the arcane. I know Urgrim has spoken to the priests here but it might not be a bad idea for him to tell the newcomers. We'll be electing a new high priest or priestess so getting all the information we can is important.'
    "Hmm. I'm willing to try, if they'll let me," said Elsa thoughtfully.

Like Adelbert said, she was not much given to spirituality. However, somewhat paradoxically, the fall of the Temple of Morr had provided ample evidence of the power of the Aethyr as manifested through religion. It had taken long planning and the alignment of many conditions for Nahorek and his minions to even be capable of threatening the Temple. And though the priesthood of the Reaches was now greatly weakened, what was left of it would likely prove essential to victory.

"At least they won't insist we hand over the Book, this time around. But they're welcome to help us protect it. In the absence of political leaders that the common folk actually like or trust, perhaps we can also get the priests to use their influence to steer their flock in the right direction to fight the new war. For example, burn the dead, not the wizard."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-12 at 11:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"Did you ask Sforza about giving the book to the dwarves?" Ludo asked.

21. - Top - End - #81

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert shifted uncomfortably in his seat. 'Burning the dead has certain... ahem... theological implications. Believe me Elsa when you die you'll thank me that I didn't have you cremated. Still, we can see what additional measures we can take.'

He turned to Sieghard and nodded thoughtfully. 'Sound thinking. I'm assuming you will be doing this discretely? I think we can safely assume that the enemy will be spying on us.'

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

The Duke

"Oh! Hello, folks." Urgrim had walked in to the common room at the Duke, and spotted the others. The ranger was far cheerier and dirtier – in equal measure – than he'd been in the days after Geheimnisnacht, and his clothes had a certain lived-in look. "Good to find you here. I left the city for a few days - needed some air, and space. But with the princeling returning, thought I'd better see how things were. Any news?" He stepped aside for a moment to order breakfast, before dragging a chair over to the table.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

"Did you ask Sforza about giving the book to the dwarves?" Ludo asked.

"May have slipped my mind," admitted Elsa.

Spoiler
    Show
    To be honest I thought we'd already handed it over.

'Burning the dead has certain... ahem... theological implications. Believe me Elsa when you die you'll thank me that I didn't have you cremated. Still, we can see what additional measures we can take.'

Elsa's eyebrows went up in confusion. "What do you mean, 'theological implications'? A body is just... a lump of meat. It's the soul that passes Morr's gate, is it not? Also I fully expect you to have me cremated if you outlive me. Or I swear my spirit will return to haunt you."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #84

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'Welcome Urgrim,' Adelbert said, smiling at the dwarf and moving to make space for the new chair. 'We're still deciding what to do.'

Turning back to Elsa he hesitated, then decided mentioning he was trying to retrieve the Duke's remains would go down poorly in the current company. 'Perhaps you should speak to Brother Cesar on the matter.'

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"If he's got eyes on us, I'm not sure I can be discreet enough for it to matter," Sieghard replied. He hadn't noticed seen Urgrim enter. "Better to just pray he doesn't and make the trip as quick as I can."

"Oh! Hello, folks."

"'Morning Urgrim," Sieghard said, surprised by the dwarf's arrival. He took a rather large bite of his breakfast and let Elsa and Adelbert's argument take over the conversation.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-11-15 at 06:42 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

"Morning," Urgrim replied to Sieghard, giving the mercenary a long look. " ... Everything alright? Didn't think to tell you I'd be gone for the week. Hope that wasn't a problem."

"What's that about a trip?"

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I wash jush gonna head to Manaansh Keep," Sieghard said, mouth still full of food. He swallowed and continued. "Had to leave some things there before the war. No sense in carrying everything on the march. Now that it's over, I want to fetch them."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmph." Urgrim suddenly looked dejected. "I wish people would stop saying that. 'The war is over.'" He shook his head, but then raised his empty hands in concession to an unspoken argument. "I just wish I knew what to do. Until Saga, we were on the back foot. Now maybe we're pushing back, but ... There must be someone, somewhere, who knows how to fight a zangunaz, who knows how to kill it. Some record, some history, something! But ... the Dwimmulsons don't know that. So what other people of this land possibly could?" He shrugged. "No living records go back further than the Dawi's."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

"No living records." Ludo said significantly, looking at Sieghard.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard coughed. That was something he hadn't thought about for a long time.

"Well, there is one place we might be able to learn more," Sieghard admitted. "Not one I think you're going to like." He glanced over towards Adelbert. "Schreiber, you understand it better than I do, you explain it to him."