New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XI

Elsa's heart sank. A wild hope had surged in her, only to be snatched away. There was no saving Morrslieb after all. All she could do was send a fiery message of defiance to Nahorek. Could the ancient being feel pain from fire? She hoped so. She would not kill him today, but she would at least remind him what being a mortal felt like, if only for a moment.

Morrslieb. Thank you. And I'm sorry.

At least he would die where he was born: in the Bracken Mere.

She gathered the Winds and unleashed them.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    RIP Morrslieb. Time for the drone to turn kamikaze.

Fireball, 2x number, ball of sulphur.

Channeling 88: (d100)[76]
    Casting 8+/10+: (3d10)[9][6][4](19)
    Chaos die: (d10)[8]

Damage: (d10+4)[8]

Damage: (d10+4)[11]

Damage: (d10+4)[12]

Damage: (d10+4)[10]

Above average damage, but I'd trade any two of these for a shot at a Fury.

Morrslieb hops away because he has to, but I doubt it matters now.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-20 at 11:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Morrslieb

Spoiler
    Show
    Morrslieb. Thank you. And I'm sorry.
    Morrslieb's mental reply didn't take the shape of words - instead, raw sensation flooded Elsa's mind, animal feelings of fear, of desperation, of abandonment. Steeling herself against the sudden tide of emotions, Elsa threw everything she had through the link between them.

Back in the marsh, tiny tongues of fire began to leap and dance from Morrslieb's feathers. Fireball after fireball streamed from the raven's body, enveloping Nahorek's gaunt figure in smoke and flames. For a moment, the vampire disappeared from sight behind the fiery onslaught - but when the last fireball had flown and the rain stripped the curling smoke away, he was still standing.

A word in ancient Nehekharan extinguished the small fires still burning in his ragged robes, the shadows rising up like armour around him. Another sent a bolt of pure darkness slashing into Morrslieb, flesh blackening and liquefying beneath its touch. Elsa felt her familiar's pain as the spell ripped through him, peeling flesh from bone - then, with a wrench as if her own heart was being pulled in two, the link between them guttered and died.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa's shoulders slumped, and something died in her eyes.

"He's gone," she said flatly. "Morrslieb's gone."

She removed her gloves, which she did rarely, and sank her face into trembling hands. "They... they were ready for him. They set a trap for him, and I sent him right into it."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard's face dropped. He searched for something to say - something comforting - but he struggled to find the words.

"You had no way of knowing." It felt weak.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

"I had every way of knowing," whispered Elsa, too shaken to even shed a tear. "I knew Nahorek and Klammenberg could see Morrslieb for what he was. And I knew they were smart enough to expect him, especially after the battle at the temple."

She lay down on the plush, luxurious bed and stared at the ceiling. "It was Nahorek himself who killed Morrslieb. But I got to burn the bastard before he did."

She took little comfort or satisfaction in that fact. She felt too guilty to harbor any feelings of revenge; revenge required that you blame someone other than yourself.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-21 at 12:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert reached out and touched his friend on the shoulder. No blessing this time, just a gesture to offer comfort in her loss. He had no frame of reference for the bond between magician and familiar but he knew it must run fathoms deeper than even that between master and beloved pet. They had been linked in soul.

'I am so sorry Elsa.' Adelbert swallowed painfully, surprised at the grief he was feeling. Morrslieb had been a comrade. 'Morr will guard his spirit now.'

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Let's give her some space," Sieghard said quietly. He wasn't sure how Elsa reacted to grief - in all their time together, nothing like this had come up. "If she wants us, she knows how to find us."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa was grateful to Sieghard to have the room cleared for her. She did need some alone time. Losing Morrslieb was like losing simultaneously a friend and a limb. By her own fault. And she could not even bury him... or keep a good luck charm, like a feather...

Before they went, Elsa found the strength to say another thing Morrslieb had observed and which they might find relevant: "Klammenberg. He doesn't seem to be getting any better. I don't know what's the matter with him, but... I'm sure we'll find out eventually."

Either before we kill him, or after.

After her friends left, she remained alone in the inn room for the better part of an hour; she had paid more than the required price for it, so she might as well use it. When she came out at last, her eyes were reddened but she had regained a semblance of composure. She went straight to the castle in search of Sforza.

"They are indeed at Gilbertus' Manse, in the swamps," she reported in a flat, droning tone. "The Rivermouthers, and Klammenberg, and the vampire."

She paused.

"They were expecting my familiar and laid a trap for him. I... couldn't get him out alive."

So I hope it was worth it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

The Captain was on the walls of the keep, looking out over his city. He took Elsa’s news in his stride.

“A pity,” he said. If he could tell Elsa was hurting, his eyes didn’t show it. “That bird was worth more than a dozen of my scouts. Can you make another?”

He turned his gaze to the south.

“Still, you learned where they are. You say the rats have gone to ground in the marsh?” He drummed his fingers against the weathered parapet. “I am not fool enough to march my men into a mire. If they want to hide in the Mere, let them rot there. See how long this jackal creature’s followers enjoy the taste of frogs and pond-weed.”

“We have what they want,” he said. “Soon enough it will be on its way north, so they must make their move before then. All we have to do is be ready for them.”

Sieghard & Ludo

While Elsa was making her report, Sieghard sought out Abdul. Though he seemed run off his feet, the Arabyan was happy to see him.

“If you are going to Manann’s Keep, you can certainly be useful. I will send Rahim with you, with the wagons. He knows what we need from Manann’s Keep. Isn’t that right, Rahim?”

Rahim, surly as ever, answered with only a grunt.

“I tell you now, friend Sieghard, this coronation is bleeding us dry,” said Abdul, shaking his head with exaggerated sadness. “I tell the Captain so, but now it is the lady wants this, the lady wants that. Her ladyship wants the greatest celebration the Reaches has ever seen, and so we lowly mortals must oblige.” He patted Sieghard on the shoulder in a comradely way. “Make sure you are back for the twenty-first, my friend. You will not want to miss it.”

Angestag, 14th Nachgeheim

The next morning, Sieghard and Ludo headed out of the river gate, fifteen Thorns with crossbows and three rattling wagons following behind them. Rahim rode behind the last of the wagons, chewing a lump of trail rations and looking as sour as a lemon. Ludo could already tell he was going to be great company.

They swiftly left Savonne behind, the stonemasons working on repairs to the bridge looking up as they passed. By late afternoon, Arrow Heap had already risen into view. The blackened wreckage of the old mill still stood in the fields north of the town, rising like a tombstone above the unmarked graves of the battlefield. Looking at it from the road, Ludo could almost hear the axes of Rorik’s men at the gates again…

Festag, 15th Nachgeheim

The next day brought Sieghard and Ludo to Painford. They found the village more crowded than usual - others were coming north along the forest road, converging on Savonne for the coronation. Merchants, millers, miners - the Reaches were under new management, and everyone who was anyone wanted a piece. In the crowded common room of the hostel, Ludo heard from Gavril that Steffan Sussman had been through just the day before.

Back in Savonne, people were arriving from other parts of the Reaches too. The guilders of Putbad were among the first, a whole gaggle of them disembarking from a large riverboat that moored in the docks. They were not the vessel’s only passengers: with them came Father Barbaro, Abbot Tomas, and two of his monks. An extremely elderly man in dull black robes was introduced as Father Bonifatius, Putbad’s resident priest of Morr. They were all here for the Conclave.

Hieronymus greeted the newcomers at the gate, and led them to pay their respects at Raqiyah’s grave. Though he waited at the Temple all day, Adelbert only saw one other priest arrive: Father Hechsler, riding in through the north gate on the back of a mule. Tying up his animal at the foot of the Temple mound, Hechsler greeted Adelbert warmly when he saw him.

“It’s good to see you again, Schreiber. Is it true the old girl’s dead?” Adelbert noticed that the Sigmarite had put on a few pounds since the last time he’d seen him. “We could have told these southerners what would come of this jackal-worship if they’d only listened, eh? Men of the Empire, you and me.” He slapped Adelbert on the back. “We should have a drink together, before the wrangling starts. Sigmar knows we’ll need it.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I’m pausing here before moving on to the conclave the next day, to give the conclave-goers space for any pre-conclave preparation you want to do. When you’re ready to proceed to it just let me know.

Priests that will be in attendance:

The Cult of Morr
    Father Bonifatius
    Brother Cezar

The Cult of Verena
    Father Hieronymus
    Father Schreiber

The Cult of Shallya
    Sister Ioana
    Sister Stefania

The Cult of Taal & Rhya
    Sister Jocasta

The Cult of Myrmidia
    Father Barbaro

The Cult of Sigmar
    Father Hechsler

The Monks of Azriller
    Abbot Tomas
    Brother Grigore
    Brother Konstantin
    Brother Oswald

Guests (no vote)
    Elsa
    Urgrim
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-11-22 at 08:29 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

“A pity. That bird was worth more than a dozen of my scouts. Can you make another?”

Elsa was taken aback by the question. Her familiar was dead, and Sforza was already talking about replacing him as if she had merely lost a very good sword or bow. "It took me months to... make... Morrslieb," she said slowly. "Weeks of searching for the right animal in the wilderness, and then weeks to bind him to me. I suppose, if you had animals brought straight to me to save time, one of them could be familiar material."

The notion did not excite her especially. She had not even begun to properly mourn Morrslieb.

“I am not fool enough to march my men into a mire. If they want to hide in the Mere, let them rot there. See how long this jackal creature’s followers enjoy the taste of frogs and pond-weed.”

Elsa wanted to scream. So all this was for nothing. They had learned with certainty where the enemy was, at the cost of Morrslieb's life, but they were not planning to do anything with that information. "Sigmar's breath, these are Rivermouthers we're talking about!" she said, more waspishly than she had intended. "They've been known to eat a lot worse than frogs."

“We have what they want. Soon enough it will be on its way north, so they must make their move before then. All we have to do is be ready for them.”

"We'll be ready," said Elsa, and she meant it. "In the meantime, may I suggest we keep the Book in the Dwimmulhold? It's the safest place for it. And the Dwarfs can be relied upon not to use it."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 13th Nachgeheim

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    Elsa was taken aback by the question. Her familiar was dead, and Sforza was already talking about replacing him as if she had merely lost a very good sword or bow. "It took me months to... make... Morrslieb," she said slowly. "Weeks of searching for the right animal in the wilderness, and then weeks to bind him to me. I suppose, if you had animals brought straight to me to save time, one of them could be familiar material."
    "We can put a bounty on live birds," said Sforza, breezily. "The common people will do the rest. I remember when Prince de Vela offered ten centesimi for every rat's tail that was brought to the watch in Tobaro. Pretty soon people were breeding the wretched things."

"Sigmar's breath, these are Rivermouthers we're talking about!" she said, more waspishly than she had intended. "They've been known to eat a lot worse than frogs."
    Sforza gave her a look as if to say, careful now. "It's not a question of better or worse," he said, "it's a question of how much. We'll keep a watch on them, and see that frogs are all they get."

"We'll be ready," said Elsa, and she meant it. "In the meantime, may I suggest we keep the Book in the Dwimmulhold? It's the safest place for it. And the Dwarfs can be relied upon not to use it."
    Sforza arched an eyebrow. "And can they be relied upon to give it back?" he asked. "Or might they decide that they know better than us... what was it... manlings, after all?"

He straightened up and took his hands off the parapet, folding them behind his back.

"You might not be able to use what's inside it, but that book is precious all the same. To the Temple of Myrmidia in Magritta it will be proof of our value, proof that the house of Sforza is a partner worth having. There is much I can achieve here with the favour of the Aguila Ultima. I see no reason to leave that at the mercy of these dwarfs."
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-11-22 at 10:00 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

"It's not a question of better or worse," he said, "it's a question of how much. We'll keep a watch on them, and see that frogs are all they get."

"If you say so," Elsa said dubiously. "But those people have been left to their own devices in a muddy excuse for a village for a very long time. They're scrawny, wretched things, but they're survivors. Stray cats are more to be feared than fat cats."

"You might not be able to use what's inside it, but that book is precious all the same. To the Temple of Myrmidia in Magritta it will be proof of our value, proof that the house of Sforza is a partner worth having. There is much I can achieve here with the favour of the Aguila Ultima. I see no reason to leave that at the mercy of these dwarfs."

"The Book is not precious," Elsa protested. "It's a responsibility, which I regret ever taking on but cannot relinquish. You weren't there when it started raising the dead of its own free will. When it aged one of your soldiers into an old man in an instant. The Myrmidians won't thank you for saddling them with this abomination. I don't think they would even know what to do with it. The only reason we hold onto it, is to keep it out of the hands of those who see it as precious or useful."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I remember when Prince de Vela offered ten centesimi for every rat's tail that was brought to the watch in Tobaro. Pretty soon people were breeding the wretched things."
    The Wikipedia page for perverse incentive has this exact example, in Hanoi. Was this your inspiration for this?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 13th Nachgeheim

Sforza turned to look Elsa square in the eye. "How old are you, Holt?" he said. "Twenty-three? When you came to my court, what were you? And yet here you stand, telling me my own mind and the mind of the Aguila Ultima. Perhaps you should leave the politics to the politicians."

He paused, the silence yawning like a pit.

"Irene wrote that you were getting ideas above your station. Try not to prove her right."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think I first heard the rats thing from either Warhammer or Pratchett. Can't remember which.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Must've just missed him," Sieghard said. It was no surprise to hear that Sussman had headed north for the coronation. "How have things been here? Aside from busy, I mean. And what about the girl? Schrieber's old initiate."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps you should leave the politics to the politicians."

"Alright, then, I'll stick to what I know — magic," replied Elsa. "And that's exactly why I consider myself qualified to give you advice about the Book. I endeavor to be more than just a living weapon; you already have hundreds of those."

She regretted not handing over the Book to the dwarfs before Sforza's return.

"Irene wrote that you were getting ideas above your station. Try not to prove her right."

Elsa very nearly exploded at that.

My station? My station??? You mean my birth? I was born a wizard. What is your wife's birthright? A family name that she no longer even bears?

She controlled herself with a mighty effort of will, and answered dryly: "Then I'll try to keep some of those ideas to myself until such time as I can improve my station."

More seriously, she asked: "This may or may not be above my station, but did you have any plans about putting our prisoners to use, or are they just mouths to feed? The food situation in the Reaches is getting rather alarming. And it'll get worse."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-23 at 02:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 13th Nachgeheim

"Alright, then, I'll stick to what I know — magic," replied Elsa. "And that's exactly why I consider myself qualified to give you advice about the Book. I endeavor to be more than just a living weapon; you already have hundreds of those."
    "The book is magic. What to do with it is strategy," said Sforza, firmly. "And that is an end to the matter. Don't think I haven't dealt with sorcery and sorcerors before, Holt," he added. "I am still here. Most of them are not."

More seriously, she asked: "This may be outside my field, but did you have any plans about putting our prisoners to use, or are they just mouths to feed? The food situation in the Reaches is getting rather alarming."
    "The prisoners from Alvarran?" he asked. "We didn't take many. No point putting frightened farm boys in chains, now that Alvarr is dead." He shrugged. "And no number of extra hands in the fields will make it rain. We will have to make do with what the harvest gives us." He looked back out towards the city. "If we must, we can trade for more with the princedoms to the north. We control the river and the mines. Iron and gold should buy plenty of grain."

Sieghard & Ludo, 15th Nachgeheim

"Oh, Raddy? She's doing fine." He pointed over to a corner of the room, where a miller and his family had squeezed around a table that was far too small. Rhadegund was mopping up a spilt tankard of ale, her bob haircut distinctive even without seeing her face. She looked a good few inches taller than when they had last seen her. "Will Brother Schreiber be passing through again?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-11-23 at 03:44 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #137

BlackDragon

Adelbert, Festag, 15th Nachgeheim

Adelbert didn't conceal his relief at the appearance of Hechsler, gratefully accepting his handshake. While he'd honoured Verena more in his profession there was something reassuring about Sigmar. Perhaps his sense of patriotism wasn't quite so dormant as he feared. Only a misfortune Krucke wasn't here.

'I'm afraid so my friend. I'm sure you gathered the facts from the letter but the odds are against us - a vampire and his necromancer lapdog,' Despite his tone a smile crossed Adelbert's face. 'Though I am sure our Holy Sigmar wouldn't have it any other way than a challenge. I'd be happy to have a drink with you - in fact there are a few of us here who could probably do with one.'

Leading Hechsler into the Temple he went straight for Jocasta's door, knocking and waiting for confirmation before entering. 'Sister Jocasta, this is Father Heschler, a servant of Sigmar. We were wondering if you'd join us for a drink? I'm sure the next few days will be long so we may need to pace ourselves before the grueling work.'

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

"Hopefully soon," Ludo said, thinking that Adelbert's reunion with Rhadegund would probably make for an awkward trip south to Kheneb. "Listen, you haven't seen anything in the swamp, have you? We have a few fugitives that headed out there - any lights or noises? Any of the old Rivermouth lot seen around? Anyone taking anything out into the swamp?"

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

15th Nachgeheim

Adelbert

'I'm afraid so my friend. I'm sure you gathered the facts from the letter but the odds are against us - a vampire and his necromancer lapdog,' Despite his tone a smile crossed Adelbert's face. 'Though I am sure our Holy Sigmar wouldn't have it any other way than a challenge.
    "Against us?" said Hechsler, sounding surprised. "With the war over? They might be sorcerers, but there are only two of them. Sforza's got an army. We'll light a fire under the Captain's chair and put these monsters to the torch, never you fear."

Leading Hechsler into the Temple he went straight for Jocasta's door, knocking and waiting for confirmation before entering. 'Sister Jocasta, this is Father Heschler, a servant of Sigmar. We were wondering if you'd join us for a drink? I'm sure the next few days will be long so we may need to pace ourselves before the grueling work.'
    Jocasta greeted them with a sunny smile. "Gladly," she said. "Where were you thinking of going? I still don't know the city too well."

"I remember a place from the last time I was here," said Hechsler, "down by the riverside. Very reasonable prices." Adelbert remembered the Sigmarite's fondness for drink. "The Fat Fish, I think it's called."

Sieghard & Ludo

"Rivermouth folk? No, can't say as I've seen any," said Gavril. "Don't think that lot would dare show their faces round here, after what the Captain done to their village." He started vigorously cleaning a mug. "If you're thinking they're out in the Mere, you ain't the only one, that's for sure. Had a few livestock go missin', bout a month back, and old Jochen's dog, too. Plenty of mothers warning their children away from the west woods." He smiled and pointed out the window with his thumb. "'Course, young Raddy's safe as houses behind these walls of yours. No snatchers getting through them."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #140

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert gave the Simarite priest a doubtful look on his faith in the Tilean but said nothing.

At the mention of the Fat Fish a vague memory stirred. 'A pity it isn't Konigstag, I've heard they have players there then. Still here is to food and drink.' He meant a mental note to watch Hechsler's intake of the latter. He turned to Jocasta and smiled ruefully. 'Don't worry, I've been here months and I still get lost.'

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

"If there's any more news - any more livestock, any lights - then let us know." Ludo said, overpaying for his drink meaningfully. "If someone comes round thieving again and you manage to catch them, we'll pay good money for them."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

"The book is magic. What to do with it is strategy," said Sforza, firmly. "And that is an end to the matter. Don't think I haven't dealt with sorcery and sorcerors before, Holt," he added. "I am still here. Most of them are not."
    Elsa wanted to keep arguing but could tell it would be like talking to a brick wall.

Hopefully the Myrmidians will see reason and treat the Book with the respect and fear it deserves...

"The prisoners from Alvarran?" he asked. "We didn't take many. No point putting frightened farm boys in chains, now that Alvarr is dead." He shrugged. "And no number of extra hands in the fields will make it rain. We will have to make do with what the harvest gives us."
    Elsa thought she could read between the lines what was Sforza's intent regarding the prisoners. She was not altogether comfortable with that, but could find no way to protest without the Captain thinking she was weak or soft-hearted.

"Out of curiosity, how did Jaeger meet his end? I've had a score to settle with him since before you and I ever met, so this is of interest to me."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-11-23 at 06:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard's expression darkened at the mention of Rivermouth. "And If they catch you, there won't be anything left but bones in the swamp," he said. "Tell us if you see or hear anything, but don't do anything risky." He stared at his drink for a bit. "Duke Alvarr is dead and the war's over without Painford seeing any bloodshed, but there's worse out there. Might want to make sure the gates are locked up tight at night and have a few boys watch the walls." He doubted wood walls would stop Klammenberg and the vampire if they set their eyes on the town, but early warning might allow some to escape with their lives.

Sieghard sat drinking and speaking with Ludo and Gavril for a while until other customers demanded the hostel owner's attention. Taking his drink with, he got up and headed towards the corner where Adelbert's former initiate was still mopping.

"Rhadegund, right? Remember me? Sieghard. One of Schreiber's friends." From the face she made, he wondered if mentioning Adelbert had been a bad idea. "It's not about him," he assured. There was an awkward pause as he tried to think of the best way to say what he wanted to say. "It's because of him that you got dragged off and you're here now. So he owes it to you to make sure everything's right." He realized he was rambling. The way Adelbert had left her and the boy behind when the war broke out had never sat right with him. "He ain't here. I am. What I'm trying to ask is are you happy here or would you like it better back in Caerfort?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-11-24 at 02:46 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 13th Nachgeheim

“The man we took the city from, back in the spring?” asked Sforza. Clearly to his mind Jager’s wasn’t a name worth remembering. “I didn’t see him. Probably dead.”

15th Nachgeheim

Adelbert, Urgrim & Elsa

The Fat Fish was crowded with the new arrivals from upriver, the bar doing a roaring trade. Nailed to one of the wooden posts that held up the ceiling, the handbill for Sutter’s Players still remained, although by now it looked a little tattered and grubby.

Securing a round table in the corner, Father Hechsler got the first round of drinks in. Sitting down heavily on his stool, he raised his tankard to the others.

“To Mother Raqiyah,” he said. “Morr keep her spirit safe.”

Ludo & Sieghard

"And If they catch you, there won't be anything left but bones in the swamp," he said. "Tell us if you see or hear anything, but don't do anything risky." He stared at his drink for a bit. "Duke Alvarr is dead and the war's over without Painford seeing any bloodshed, but there's worse out there. Might want to make sure the gates are locked up tight at night and have a few boys watch the walls."
    Gavril swallowed. “Right you are, sir,” he said, tugging at his collar a little. “I’ll, um, I’ll let the lads at the gate know.”

"Rhadegund, right? Remember me? Sieghard. One of Schreiber's friends." From the face she made, he wondered if mentioning Adelbert had been a bad idea. "It's not about him," he assured. There was an awkward pause as he tried to think of the best way to say what he wanted to say. "It's because of him that you got dragged off and you're here now. So he owes it to you to make sure everything's right." He realized he was rambling. The way Adelbert had left her and the boy behind when the war broke out had never sat right with him. "He ain't here. I am. What I'm trying to ask is are you happy here or would you like it better back in Caerfort?”
    Rhadegund looked very dubious of Sieghard’s question. “I’m fine here,” she said. “I don’t need your help.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-11-24 at 10:01 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #145

BlackDragon

15th Nachgeheim

Adelbert, Urgrim & Elsa

Adelbert took his own seat and raised his tankard. 'To Mother Raqiyah,' he said, before turning to Jocasta and adding: 'and to Father Balios.'

Finally before taking a sip he turned his eyes to Elsa and gave her a sympathetic look. 'And to other absent friends.'

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

15th Nachgeheim, The Fat Fish

"To absent friends," Urgrim concurred, raising his drink. He nodded to Elsa respectively.

After a moment's silence, he turned to Hechsler. "You've come from the west, Father Hechsler? Has the desert grown further?"

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa raised her glass listlessly. Why had she agreed to come out tonight? She wished she were in her room, drinking on her own.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

At the Fat Fish

"From the north," Hechsler corrected Urgrim. "We have the Raven Hills between us and the desert in Elmridge, thank the Hammer. If the desert's been growing we haven't heard it from the hill folk." He glugged down his drink and looked about for another. "Haven't heard much from them at all since they lost their chief, really. Alvarr's accord with Rorik was what kept them from going back to their old sheep-stealing ways. I imagine it won't be long before they start raiding their neighbours again."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Never said you needed it. I'm sure if you were set on it, you could make it there on your own," Sieghard replied, quite certain wolves would eat her the moment she passed Manaan's Keep if she tried such a thing. "Traveling always goes quicker when you're with a group though." He finished the rest of his drink. "There's no rush to decide. I've got to be back in the city before the coronation, but I'm hoping to head down that way soon after. If you change your mind, let me know. And if you don't, I could still carry a letter for you. I'm sure you've got friends and family who'd be glad to hear you're doing well."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Ludo

Rhadegund sighed and rolled her eyes. "If you and Brother Schreiber are such great friends, why didn't he tell you anything about me?" she asked, fixing him with a demanding stare. "If I had friends and family in Caerfort I wouldn't have wanted to leave. I'm not going back."

"Everything alright here, dove?" said Karolina, passing by with a tray from another table of travellers. She paused, looking twice at Rhadegund's body language. "You en't being rude to the commander, are you Raddy?"

"no," muttered Rhadegund, sullenly. Glancing up at Sieghard from under her eyebrows as if to say she'd made her point, she went back to cleaning up the spill.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    you came prepared for Nahorek and the Rivermouth Rowdies but did you come prepared to deal with a MOODY TEENAGE GIRL
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb