New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XI

Conclave

'My apologies Father Hieronymus, but I must ask a question before we break up,' Adelbert turned to Abbot Tomas. 'Abbot Thomas already runs a monastic order in a different city, which I confess surprises me with his acceptance of a nomination for leadership of this Temple, as I would have assumed he would be quite overburdened as is. Father Abbot do you intend to resign as head of the monastery in Putbad, or close or re-locate the order to Savonne? Or even re-locate the Temple to Putbad?'

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

"I wouldn't dream of such a thing," said Tomas, his mild tones soothing the looks of consternation on the faces of the other priests. "These stones are as old as the Reaches themselves. If I am selected, Brother Konstantin here will assume my duties in Putbad."

Konstantin bowed his tonsured head in acknowledgement and gratitude.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #183

BlackDragon

Conclave

'...Thereby giving your order control over this Temple, a large and important monastery and, I almost forgot, the shrine in Mannan's Keep,' Adelbert replied, raising an eyebrow. 'Well, we can certainly appreciate your zeal in accepting these duties Father Abbot but perhaps the rest of us can accept some of these many burdens of duty you so lightly don. Is that not so Brothers and Sisters?'

He looked around the table, hoping to see he had struck a chord.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm: (1d100)[79] vs 56

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa spoke up in defense of Tomas, as he was after all her employer's chosen candidate: "What this demonstrates to me, Herr Schreiber, is that Abbot Tomas is a man with a great deal of firsthand leadership experience. A man who possesses knowledge in worldly matters as well as spiritual ones. Times of strife call for men of action, men of deeds; not only men of faith and wisdom. The strength of this land, or any land indeed, lies in her people; and therefore, whoever we name to lead the faith must be someone who is known to the people, and whose god is worshiped by many."

She gave a quick glance to Hieronymus, then went on: "Much as I respect the wisdom of the Verenans, I fear that they do not have much of a congregation in the Reaches. People see them and their goddess as... philosophers, more concerned with deep and abstract matters than the tedium of existence in our material world. Are they not more likely to listen to someone who treads the same paths they do and who knows the feel of dirt under his fingernails? Someone who has learned both how to lead and how to serve, such as the father of a monastic order?"

While she spoke, she avoided looking directly at Adelbert. She somehow felt almost like she was betraying him, even though she knew on an intellectual level that she had no obligation to support him in this matter.

"We need knowledge, yes. Father Hieronymus is an invaluable asset to the clergy of the Reaches. But he will impart his knowledge whether or not he is your leader. Someone who leads need not be the most knowledgeable man in the room. He only needs to be the one that the most people listen to when he speaks."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa's Charm vs 29 due to penalty from loss of her familiar: (d100)[69]

Uuuuugh, wish I hadn't wasted so much time on this speech.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-12-03 at 06:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

5. - Top - End - #185

BlackDragon

Conclave

Adelbert didn't bother hiding the look of disappointment and anger he directed at Elsa. 'Why, with the backing of the Captain's personal chaplain and his court wizard it is only a pity Signore Sforza could not attend here himself to speak on your behalf Father Abbot. Still, I suppose we can all be encouraged he'll be ready to... advise you on leadership should the crisis demand it. Well Brothers and Sisters I suggest we think and pray on this... before giving matters our independent judgement.'

He stood up. 'Father Hieronymous if I may ask for a word in private?'

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

The assembled priests seemed to find Adelbert's bitter barbs and Elsa's unasked-for intervention equally unedifying. As the Conclave rose to go their separate ways, Hieronymus followed Adelbert to one side.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #187

BlackDragon

Conclave

'That did not go as well as I'd hoped,' Adelbert admitted ruefully. 'You have more experience of these matters than I do, how do you think the vote will go? I can't see Bonifatius or Ioana voting for Thomas, or any of the Azrilites voting for you but otherwise I'm in the dark. Who do you think we can talk around?'

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Hieronymus looked unsure. "I'm afraid I have little experience in, ah, politics, myself," he said. "The last time we chose a High Priest, Raqiyah was the uncontested successor. And so I believe was Father Mortemer before her." He stroked his beard. "Barbaro, clearly, has chosen his candidate... of the others, I'd hope that those who were here on Geheimnisnacht might take our side. Tomas is a good man, but he hasn't faced the Jackal as we have."

The exercise of dividing the Conclave into friends and foes seem to make him miserable. "Perhaps it would be better if I simply stood aside," he mumbled. "Acrimony and division will do us no good... I have no stomach for it. What do you think, Schreiber?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #189

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'If the Abbot was a truly good man he would not willingly become the Tilean's catspaw,' Adelbert replied bluntly. 'Quite frankly if he wins the Temple will cease to have even the glimmer of independence. Nor do I expect anything from him in terms of mystical knowledge or ability.'

He looked at the senior priest in shock at his suggestion of standing aside, opening and closing his mouth obviously searching for the right words,'If you truly feel that way than I suppose you must stand aside, but I will not work for the Tilean. Choose someone else to stand in your stead.'

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

"That would rather defeat the point, wouldn't it?" said Hieronymus. "Of not dividing us?"

Shaking his head somewhat peevishly, he took a seat in a stone alcove.

"Independence... I wonder what that means for us now. Sforza controls all the Reaches, except perhaps the Raven Hills. I don't believe that has happened since... well, perhaps since the crusades. What balance of power is there for him to respect?" He paused. "Barbaro says he is a godly man. We must hope that is true."

He took a deep breath.

"If I must stand, I will stand," he said. "But win or lose, we will need Tomas and his brothers after this is over. Try not to antagonise them, Schreiber. They are only doing what they think to be right."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #191

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'That 'godly' man was working with the greenskins, was probably behind the murder of Evatt and certainly tried to cut a deal with that filthy traitor Groz,' Adelbert replied. 'And one of these days I'll see him on the gallows.'

He drew a shuddering breath, trying to calm himself. 'Well we must work with him until the vampire is destroyed. I fear you have rather more faith in the Abbot than I do Father Hieronymus. I pray you are right and I am wrong. I'll see who I can talk too.'

He bowed and took his leave, heading for where Heschler was saying.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert's mention of greenskins clearly gave Hieronymus pause, but he sounded a note of caution all the same. "If you were to count every lord of the Reaches in the last century who didn't claim their crown through violence and deceit," he said, "I believe they would fit on the fingers of one hand. Sforza is the ruler we have; there is no shame in working with him. If nothing else, even the wickedest man can be redeemed."

Leaving Hieronymus behind, Adelbert found Hechsler where he had expected: on his way to the nearest alehouse. "Schreiber!" he said, as he caught sight of Adelbert. "Care to join me?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim, Elsa

Urgrim listened quietly as the discussion around the nomination of Abbot Tomas grew spirited. Although he said no more, he paid careful attention to each point. When the meeting broke up, he remained seated in thought for a few moments. Rising, he made his way to Elsa. "Mind if I walk with you, Magister?"

He kept pace with her in silence for a little while, simply enjoying the fresh air and the restored peace of the Temple grounds. A fragile peace, certainly, perhaps little more than a gilded facade – but he didn't begrudge it for that. A brief smile touched his lips as he wondered what the pair of them looked like – their fair hair about the only feature they had in common. Him a stout dawi, and, although still young for his people, with a face beginning to furrow in age by human standards; her a tall, thin umga, barely an adult by her own kind's reckoning, let alone his, walking a frenetic path through life as she negotiated with a staggering power that knew no reason and might consume her and cast her aside at any moment. He hadn't known what to say to her, last night, in the tavern, as she nakedly transformed from sullen to openly, bitterly weeping at her familiar's loss. He had seen someone touched for the first time in their life by the overwhelming flood of true grief, and just because human lives were shorter than dawis' did not make that experience any less awful.

"We don't have priests," he eventually said, by way of starting the conversation. He nodded towards the looming Rock. "Well, we do, but not like yours. They're more like temple-keepers. We don't have this public side of things, with the ceremonies and grandeur. I do quite like that building, though," he admitted, indicating the Temple. "It seems very ... human, if you don't mind me saying. All your gods getting together under one roof, with enough space to argue and compromise and sort things out." He chuckled. "Which is a very human thing to do."

He reached into his pocket and drew out the opal talisman of Valaya, letting it catch the light. "This is my goddess. Valaya, keeper of hearth and home." He offered the pendant to Elsa, if she wanted to examine it. "Faith, for a dwarf, it's not about how you compare to other people, sing and shout your prayers the loudest. It's more about what you do when you're alone. What decisions you make, when you only have yourself to judge you.

"I don't really know what the decision here will mean, for the humans who look to this temple for the guidance of their gods. Not my place to tell you or anyone else how to worship your gods. But I suppose I'll see the results, in time." He sighed. "It's what makes it difficult, sometimes, for us – dwarves, I mean – to take humans seriously. They never see the consequences of their actions. Not really. How can you really think about what your choices mean when chances are you won't be able to see how they unfold in fifty, sixty years? It's a damn shame. You're so full of life, but gone in the blink of an eye. Makes it difficult for dwarves to have – friends who are human, too." There was something of a lump in his throat. The dwarf looked away from Elsa, and swallowed, and breathed deep.

He looked back to her, eyes glistening a little, and gave a chuckle that sounded a little forced. "Though in this case, fifty years is a bit optimistic of me, eh? 'Cos this is one of those choices where we'll actually see the results a lot sooner than we might all hope. And I do believe that this temple can be a powerful ally, and a rock we can build around, in the coming war. Now, I hope your prince can be too. But princes in these lands come and go like the morning frost, I've seen that happen enough times, for quite a bit longer than you've been alive I do reckon, unless my judge of human age is very, very wrong." He shrugged. "Can't say he's not the man who'll actually tame these lands. He might well be. But they say this temple's been here thousands of years. I'll be very interested to see if Sforza is here in twenty. But I'll be even more interested to see if we're all here in two."

"I'm a guest here, and I only hope that whatever happens in the next few days helps make sure there's a future for all of us. But as I said, I'm too ignorant to judge how humans think about this kind of thing. So I'd like to know what you think. What do you see the result of the Conclave being? For the war, and then – all our gods willing – for the times that come afterwards?"

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    I am thinking of this happening over the course of a rambling conversation as Urgrim speaks with Elsa, but given the constraints of my time zone, I thought it best to just make a big long post – just know it's not really intended to be a monologue at Elsa, more of a summary of what Urgrim would get across over time.
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-12-04 at 12:22 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'Er, for a short time perhaps,' Adelbert replied, wondering he and Hechsler would have to have words over ale consumption in the near future. But he had other business here and he decided that forthrightness was probably called for. 'Can I - and Father Hireonymous - count on your vote in the morrow my friend?'

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Hechsler looked thoughtful. "I can't say I know Father Hieronymus or the Abbot well," he said. "And old Barbaro may be a boot-licker, but he's got a point - we're going to need Sforza's money, and his men. The man knows how to fight, which is more than can be said for most of our brothers and sisters back there."

Stopping to lean against a wall, he paused for a moment. They were a few streets away from the Duke of Aquitaine, but Hechsler's bearings in the city weren't the best. "Still," he said, "it doesn't sit right, does it? Him thinking he can buy the Temple's loyalty like he does his mercenaries. I might be an outsider here, but my oaths were to Sigmar. His is the only crown I'll kneel to." He nodded. "So aye, I think Hieronymus has my vote."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa and Urgrim

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post
    He reached into his pocket and drew out the opal talisman of Valaya, letting it catch the light. "This is my goddess. Valaya, keeper of hearth and home." He offered the pendant to Elsa, if she wanted to examine it. "Faith, for a dwarf, it's not about how you compare to other people, sing and shout your prayers the loudest. It's more about what you do when you're alone. What decisions you make, when you only have yourself to judge you.
    Elsa glanced at the pendant and nodded. "Maybe that's more my kind of faith, really. I've always been a bit cynical about priests, and... all the showy, organized aspect of religion and belief. I prefer a more personal kind of faith."

She paused. "Come to think of it, I don't have much personal faith, either." The realization seemed to surprise her. "I suppose I prefer to put my faith in people. We, humble mortals. We are fallible and often disappointing, but we are... tangible. You can actually see our works; stand inside them, as we do now. If I cannot believe in people, then I don't know what's truly left to believe in."

She chuckled. "This may seem surprisingly down-to-earth, for a wizard. I guess that, when you can bend magic to your will, there are fewer mysteries in the world. You start to think: what can mortals not do, all by themselves, if they have the will? How much do they really need the gods?"

Elsa wagged her finger playfully at the dwarf. "Don't tell anyone here I spoke such heresy!"

She remained silent through most of Urgrim's sobering speech about mortality and the fleeting nature of all things, only nodding along occasionally. She was well aware that Sforza's nation might not last long. But other men and women would come later and build new ones... so long as they had a chance. So long as the desert did not engulf the Reaches. She much preferred to envision a future of strife and hardship for the Reaches than no future at all.

Life was not fair, but it was life. It had to go on. It had to.

What was the alternative?

There was none.

"I'm a guest here, and I only hope that whatever happens in the next few days helps make sure there's a future for all of us. But as I said, I'm too ignorant to judge how humans think about this kind of thing. So I'd like to know what you think. What do you see the result of the Conclave being? For the war, and then – all our gods willing – for the times that come afterwards?"
    Elsa found it a strange question. She pondered it for a moment. "I... don't know, Urgrim," she said at last. "I really don't. But I know that we... that they need to elect a grounded man, a man of deeds. My speech back there was partly politics in service of Sforza's interests, but I meant every word. We can't count on the gods to save us. We have to save ourselves, and if the gods want to lend a hand, let them. Me, I will do my work alongside soldiers, not priests."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-12-05 at 12:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

17. - Top - End - #197

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert smiled. 'Good choice... and I'm grateful. If I've learned nothing else out here in the Reaches it is how you can't trust the princes to see a problem until it is their problem. Barbaro can't talk all he likes about the Tileans men and money but we'd have seen little of either until disaster was about to hit. Let's stand on our own two feet with our gods.'

He led Hechsler to the Duke, staying for an ale before making his apologies and heading back to the Temple to visit Jocasta.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim and Elsa

Urgrim smiled as he listened to Elsa's discursion on the relationship between mortals and the gods. There it was again: youthful, human, optimism and ambition. He couldn't deny that it was endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    Elsa wagged her finger playfully at the dwarf. "Don't tell anyone here I spoke such heresy!"
    Urgrim laughed without opening his lips. "You're already a northern witch," he said, matching her light-hearted tone. "One barbarian custom's much the same as any other to me."

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    "I... don't know, Urgrim," she said at last. "I really don't. But I know that we... that they need to elect a grounded man, a man of deeds. My speech back there was partly politics in service of Sforza's interests, but I meant every word. We can't count on the gods to save us. We have to save ourselves, and if the gods want to lend a hand, let them. Me, I will do my work alongside soldiers, not priests."
    "Aye, mine too." He looked off into the distance. "Still ... the gods are with us, I believe."

He nodded. "I want to believe Sforza would be the man of action you say. I'd hope he's smart enough to know that the enemy is a threat to all of his grand dreams." He sighed. "But his obstinance over the book eats away at those thoughts. The Dwimmulhold is, beyond doubt, the safest place for it, and I can't understand how he can disagree with that, if he's the man you say he is." He shrugged. "It may yet come to a choice between Sforza's ambitions and Nahorek's defeat. And if such a time does come, I'm anxious to know what choice he'd make. If he doesn't make the right one, it may have to be made for him."

That was all the dwarf had to say on such weighty political matters, at least for the moment. He let the conversation drift away from the matter of the Conclave. Before he left, he turned to face Elsa head-on, a gentle expression on his face. "I wanted to say to you, also ... I'm sorry for your loss. Morrslieb. It – he was a great ally, especially that night. He fought as hard as any of us to defend the book. I've no doubt we'd have lost it, without the things he did for us. I know this can't be an easy time for you. Anything I can do, let me know."

~

After taking his leave of Elsa, the ranger sought out Abbot Tomas. He introduced himself politely, and congratulated the Azrillite on his nomination. "As you've seen," he said with a wry smile, "some of the local priests are ... wary of prospect of a leader who was not here on Geheimnisnacht, and only knows the circumstances second-hand. And I can't deny that it seems a strange prospect for me too, after fighting on the Temple grounds that night. Of course, I'm not voting. But I still wondered, if you wouldn't mind – could you share your perspective on the task ahead of the Temple, and its leader?"
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-12-05 at 08:08 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Adelbert found Jocasta in her usual spot - under the tree by the east gate of the garden. It looked much the same as it ever had, with the exception of the old graves that had been filled back in with fresh earth. The tombstones still stood, bearing the names of the unfortunates who had been ripped from their rest by Nahorek's magic.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you have a shopping list of priests you want to speak to, please feel free to timesplit - and also don't feel you need for me to wait to say you find them before asking what you want to ask.

Urgrim

The Azrillites had taken lodgings at the Duke, and Urgrim found them in the tavern's common hall. Sipping on a small cup of sherry, Tomas seemed mildly surprised to see him.

"I didn't know the Temple's affairs were of such interest to the Dwimmulsons," said one of the monks with him - the thin-faced Konstantin. Wiping his white beard with the back of his hand, Tomas shrugged his shoulders as if to say he did not mind the question.

"Justice for Raqiyah comes first, master dwarf. The Temple must support the Captain and the Cult of Morr in the extermination of these necromancers. I thought Brother Cezar's suggestion of sending word to his order in the north was very sensible. The rest of us must simply render what assistance we can, while defending our ancient rights in this new age." He took another sip of his drink. "I trust the Rinn is of the same mind?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-12-05 at 05:14 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #200

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'I'm fond of trees too, but you have a stronger stomach than mine,' Adelbert said. He smiled at Jocasta and settled down beside her. 'It will take me a while to see this place as tranquil again.'

He took a deep breath before starting. 'Jocasta, I'll admit I hate the Tilean and if Barbaro said the sky was blue I'd be tempted to argue it was tangerine, but I do think Hieronymus will be a better leader than Abbot Tomas. Hieronymus has experienced what we're fighting against, he knows. Tomas knows how to run a profitable monastery. In peace time... well perhaps, but I don't think he is what we need right now. Besides I'm worried that if the Azrillites take leadership here they'll have gained a little too much power - they already run the second most important religious institution in the Reaches.'

He paused, then smiled ruefully and added. 'It must be easier following Rhya. Verena encourages us to be healthy sceptics - which often means pessimists.'

After Jocasta Adelbert went to check in on the clergy of Morr, and delivered much the same argument.

'Brother Cezar, Father Bonifatius you know Father Hieronymus. His reluctance to take this leadership is very real, as is his devotion to this Temple. I'm sure that he wants the leadership restored to the devoted of Morr as soon as possible... I am not sure i can say the same about Abbot Tomas, Father Barbaro or the Captain. I know this is a matter of personal faith and confidence but I would ask you to strongly consider voting for Father Hieronymus.'

Finally, tired and hungry he made his way to the Hospital to speak with Sister Stefania and Sister Ioana.

'Sisters, I know you have been through a lot. All of us have, but I'd ask for your votes for Father Hieronymus. He is a good man, a wise man and he knows first hand what we are dealing with. I'm not convinced Abbot Tomas - or Captain Sforza for that matter - do. I cannot claim I'm unbiased here; I have bad blood with the Tilean. But I do still trust and admire Hieronymus more. I've spoken with him and he's not happy about the divisions we have undergone, which means he's already a better diplomat than I am. I think he'll be a good leader.'

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Seeing Jocasta

Jocasta raised an eyebrow at Adelbert's statement. "While we just go around smelling flowers and talking to birds, is that it?" For a moment, her tone seemed challenging, but Adelbert suspected she was teasing him. "Trust me, Adelbert, a life in the fields has just as many miseries as you learn about in your books."

She gave Adelbert a long look. "Father Hieronymus doesn't seem like a fighter to me. He wasn't with us when the Jackal came. Then again, neither was Tomas." She paused. "You're a fighter, Adelbert. If Hieronymus is who you believe in, then he has my vote. Votes." She looked up at the tree. "But I don't know that either of these men are the men we need to lead."

Seeing the Morrites

Tired from the day's debate, Bonifatius was snoozing in a wicker chair. Adelbert's arrival woke him up, and he seemed none too happy about it - though talk of returning the leadership of the Temple to the Morrites seemed to mollify him a little.

"Abbot Tomas is a good man," he croaked. "A respected man. I hope you have not come to us to - hrmph - impugn his honesty."

Cezar intervened. "I'm sure Father Schreiber meant no such thing," he said.

"Hieronymus," Bonifatius continued. "I remember Hieronymus when he was just a scrawny young fellow... hmph, much like yourself," he said, pointing a bony finger at Adelbert. "Nose always in his books. Tell me, Father... Schreiber, was it?" He squinted at Adelbert with rheumy eyes. "If Hieronymus is the one to lead us, why doesn't he lead his own flock? How many priests has he trained to spread the word of Verena, besides yourself?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Charm test would be appropriate to get around Bonifatius' cantankerousness - or another skill if you see a use for it.

Seeing the Shallyans

Stefania looked strangely awkward when Adelbert made his appearance. She handed him over to Ioana, who led him to the quiet of an empty room to talk.

"We received a message this afternoon," she said. "Captain Sforza would like to make a donation to the Great Hospital. He asks us to come to the castle to discuss it with him... after we have finished electing the new High Priest."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #202

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Seeing Jocasta

Adelbert smiled ruefully. 'I respect Father Hieronymus greatly and I think his knowledge and his experience are vital but he isn't Magnus the Pious. But who is here? We have no other senior leaders who can step into the role. We'll just have to make do.'

Before he left he left he glanced at the priestess, smiled and added: 'I hope I provide as much good conversation as the birds.'

Seeing the Morrites

Adelbert was taken aback but rallied, or at least tried to.

'Forgive me father Bonifatius the way of the Lady Verena is not for all. It takes a certain temper and interest, a love of learning for its own sake. I myself, only have one student, young Bertelis,' he paused and smiled. 'After all what do the texts say: 'better a single reader who understands than a hundred who pretend understanding'.

He looked at the older man before adding: 'But Father Hieronymus knows, as do I that not all learning comes from the page. We need the voice of experience and the strength of tradition. We'll need your wisdom and advice, both of you in this difficult road ahead. Most of our initiates are of the Cult of Morr. I can of no better education for them than see you and Father Hieronymus working together.'

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Academic Knowledge (Theology): (1d100)[90] vs 66.

Hopefully Adelbert hasn't just bungled his theology!

Seeing the Shallyans

Adelbert winced. 'Ah... I should have expected as much. That is most unfortunate... I am not a rich man, certainly not rich enough to outbid Sforza.'

A long pause. 'Well. There we are. There is nothing for it. You and Sister Stefania must do what is right for your patients and the goddess. They are your primary concern. In that case there is little point continuing here. Good evening Sister Ioana.'

He stood up and departed for his own Chambers in the temple. He was very tired, and tomorrow promised to be grisly.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim, the Duke

"Ah," said Urgrim. "Sorry, Fathers, I hope I've not accident'ly misled you. I'm not a Dwimmulson" – he was getting really fed up of having to say that – "and I definit'ly don't represent Rinn Elmendrin at the Conclave. I only began working with her clan when they were preparin' to take leave of Putbad. So in fact, I reckon you may have more experience with her than I do, Abbot Tomas! Have you met her?" If these umgi did have a bit of a blind spot towards dwarves, Urgi figured he might as well take advantage of playing up the accent and giving them the old hi-ho treatment.

"The Temple certain'ly is an ancient, august institution," he continued with a nod. "I b'lieve it features in the oldest dwarf records of these lands. The Rinn knew as much, when she donated the ironbark chest, that the Temple's auspices would be a stalwart defence of the Book of Nagash. I trust she's keen to see its primacy maintained. Her chief concern is only how best to continue helping in the safeguarding of the Book. I know she's already offered the deepest vaults of the Dwimmulhold to Captain Sforza, with the same recipr'cal arrangement of supervision as currently stands. Not sure he's responded to her yet, but perhaps he'll come to a decision about whether to keep storing it in the Temple or not once the Conclave is concluded."

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    I'll throw in a Charm test, for the ol' hi-ho treatment, with a Fortune point. Charm 32 - (1d100)[72] Fortune - (1d100)[18]

~

After speaking to the Azrillites, Urgrim wandered across the common room to Hechsler. —Jurgen! Strength to your arm!, he said cheerily. "Can I get you a drink?"

When they'd sat down together, Urgrim began chatting about the Conclave. "What do you think of the candidates? Abbot Tomas – well, a naked ploy by Captain Sforza, for sure. Now, I've met Father Heironymous on occasion, and it's true, he's a bookish sort. Doesn't always seem to have his feet on the ground. But the sheer gall of Sforza, eh? He couldn't be more brazen.

"And Father Heironymous, at least, knows full well the fight we've got ahead of us." Urgrim lowered his voice. "I was speaking to the Azrillites there, just now. I'm not entirely convinced they realise what's at stake. There's a Book of Nagash under lock and key in the militia barracks, Grimnirs az. The arch-necromancer! That's why the Temple was attacked in the first place."

He leaned back. "I'm not sure what Sforza's angle is either, as regards the book. Sending it to Tilea, or waiting for the Morrites to work out what to do, all seems like unnecessary delay ... I think he sees it as an asset." He shook his head. "You know, the Rinn Elmendrin – the Dwimmulson chief – has offered twice now to safeguard the book in the Dwimmulhold vaults, under the Rock? It's nominally in the Temple's safekeeping, with the Dwimmulsons allowed to inspect it. But Sforza hasn't answered her. If I could recommend one thing, as a guest of the Conclave, it'd be that the Temple think seriously about her offer. At least that'd be doing something that can make a real difference against the enemy."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-12-06 at 04:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

Seeing Jocasta

Jocasta smiled back. "Almost," she said.

A couple of crows behind the rose-thickets began croaking at each other over a dead mouse.

Seeing the Morrites

Bonifatius looked skeptical - or maybe just tired. "Why yes," he muttered to himself, "with Hieronymus' help we might raise another one initiate."

"The vampire is an abomination unto Morr," said Cezar. "Whoever is chosen, we will stand behind them."

Seeing the Shallyans

Ioana said nothing, but looked conflicted as Adelbert left. In the courtyard, Herr Reinholt was taking the air by the fountain, one of the younger Shallyans supporting his bony arm as he tottered about. The old lunatic waved to Adelbert in a dignified way, like a king condescending to his subjects.

Urgrim

With the Azrillites

"Ah," said Urgrim. "Sorry, Fathers, I hope I've not accident'ly misled you. I'm not a Dwimmulson" – he was getting really fed up of having to say that – "and I definit'ly don't represent Rinn Elmendrin at the Conclave. I only began working with her clan when they were preparin' to take leave of Putbad. So in fact, I reckon you may have more experience with her than I do, Abbot Tomas! Have you met her?"
    "During her clan's stay in Putbad, yes," said Tomas. He gave a gentle smile. "We try our hand at brewing in the monastery. Seeing the Dwimmulsons leave was a sad day for our purser brother Oswald here."

"The Temple certain'ly is an ancient, august institution," he continued with a nod. I b'lieve it features in the oldest dwarf records of these lands. The Rinn knew as much, when she donated the ironbark chest, that the Temple's auspices would be a stalwart defence of the Book of Nagash. I trust she's keen to see its primacy maintained. Her chief concern is only how best to continue helping in the safeguarding of the Book. I know she's already offered the deepest vaults of the Dwimmulhold to Captain Sforza, with the same recipr'cal arrangement of supervision as currently stands. Not sure he's responded to her yet, but perhaps he'll come to a decision about whether to keep storing it in the Temple or not once the Conclave is concluded."
    "My understanding is that it was removed from the Temple grounds after the attack," said Tomas. He looked to Grigore. "Is that right?"

"Yes, Reverend Father," said Grigore. "It's currently being held at the keep."

"Father Barbaro has told me of plans to send it out of the Reaches, to Estalia or Tilea. I'm sure everyone in Savonne would be happy to see it sent far from here, Rinn Elmendrin included," said Tomas. "But in the meantime I'm sure there could be no safer place than inside the Rock."

With Father Hechsler

Hechsler was happy to see Urgrim, and happier still to be offered another drink. Drinking away, he listened closely to what Urgrim had to say.

"Nagash," he scoffed when Urgrim mentioned the Great Necromancer, and Urgrim wondered just how many drinks in the Sigmarite was. "You know what the Heldenhammer did to Nagash?" He held up his fists. "Hammer," he said, shaking his right hand. "Head", he said, shaking his left. Very slowly, he moved his fists together, then opened his left hand and spread his fingers as wide as he could. "Boom!"

As Urgrim continued, he grew a little more serious. "You think he wants it for himself? The Tilean?" His expression darkened. "Back in the Empire, that'd be the end of him. High lord or lady, doesn't matter. No-one's above Sigmar's law." He sighed. "Not so here."

Sitting a little more upright on his stool, he marshalled his thoughts. "Still, it stands to reason," he said. "No safer place. The new High Priest can press him. We can all press him. And if he refuses again..." - he took a swig of his drink - "well, then maybe we'll have a bit more of the measure of the man."
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-12-06 at 01:10 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #205

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert gloomily waved back at Reinholt. Poor old fool was maybe the most content man in Savonne.

With nothing else to do he trudged back home to prepare for yet another defeat at the instigation of the Tilean.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Aubentag, 17th Nachgeheim

The next day, the Conclave gathered at the Temple once again. According to Hohenzoller's Book of the Seasons, this was the last day of summer - but with the sun still shining brightly on the roofs of the city, it felt like the summer could go on forever.

Inside, the priests milled around until everyone was present, and Hieronymus could call the Conclave to order. There was an uncertain, almost febrile atmosphere in the room. Adelbert noted how Barbaro was taking care to greet every new arrival in person.

"We have taken a day to deliberate, and seek the guidance of the gods," said Hieronymus, once everyone was settled. "Now the time has come to cast our votes. Father Bonifatius," he said, turning the old Morrite. "In honour of Morr's place here, would you like to begin?"

Bonifatius gave a self-important nod. Puffing up his toast-rack of a chest, he spoke up as best he could.

"In the name of Morr," he said, "I cast my vote for Abbot Tomas. He is the only one here with experience of leadership, and leadership is what we require."

Hieronymus looked a little crestfallen, but nodded and turned to Cezar.

"In the name of Morr," said Cezar, "I cast my vote for Father Hieronymus." Bonifatius scowled. "He has seen the face of the enemy."

Next were the Azrillites, all three of whom cast their votes for the Abbot. Barbaro followed suit, looking quietly confident as he did.

"In the name of Taal and Rhya," said Jocasta, "I vote for Father Hieronymus."

"In the name of Sigmar, though we are far from his land," said Hechsler, who was looking a little the worse for wear after his last night's drinking. "Hieronymus."

All eyes turned to Ioana and Stefania. The votes stood at five to four in favour of the Abbot, or with everyone knowing which way Adelbert would cast his vote, five to five. The Shallyans held the decision in their hands. They looked at one another, an uncomfortable silence lingering over the room.

"In the name of Shallya," said Ioana at last, "we vote for Father Hieronymus."
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-12-08 at 03:09 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #207

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert had not slept his best, but he had prayed to the Goddess to give him guidance on the path ahead. He had a feeling he needed it.

It was with mounting dread he watched the other priests vote, right up until the turn came for Ioana and Stefania. As their decision struck him Adelbert looked at the Sisters of Shallya in open shock. It took a moment for him to recall he had not yet voted himself. 'In the name of Verena I vote for Father Hieronymus.'

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Father Barbaro looked equally astonished. Hieronymus looked flustered but pleased, while Tomas took the vote in stride.

"Father Hieronymus," he said, breaking the silence that followed. "May I be the first to congratulate you on your appointment. I'm sure you will serve the Temple with distinction."

"Thank you, Abbot," said Hieronymus. "I, um - I hope I can justify the Conclave's confidence."

"So!" said Hechsler, thumping the table with his fist. "We have a High Priest! Now, can we actually decide some things? Like sending for the raven knights?" He waved a hand at Brother Cezar. "Or raising some men of our own?"

Immediately, the Conclave fell to arguing again. Adelbert let the mingled voices wash over him, watching the defeated-looking Barbaro slump silently back in his chair. They had won! They had actually won.

Ioana's voice broke in on his savouring of the moment. The Shallyans were excusing themselves from the debate, leaving the discussion of how best to fight Nahorek to the more martially-minded cults. "I thought on what you said, Father Schreiber," said Ioana. "We decided the goddess would prefer a High Priest who tells us to do what is best for her people, rather than what is best for themselves." She looked over her shoulder at Hieronymus, who was getting into the particulars of the Laws of Saint Rodolphus with Father Hechsler. "I hope Father Hieronymus proves us right."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Conclave are still arguing because they love to argue, but you don't need to draw out this scene unless there's something you want to make sure is discussed/agreed: let me know when you're ready to move on.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #209

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert stood and took Ioana's hand for a moment. He wasn't sure whether he should bow so he settled for a grateful smile: 'Thank you Sister. He'll do do his best... we'll all do our best.'

He listened to the arguments for a moment before standing up raising his own voice: 'Brothers and Sisters, there is one thing we must all do to honour our gods, avenge our fallen and to protect our wards: cleanse our home. The vampire polluted this sacred building with it's vile presence and its sorcerers and we must consecrate it anew. I ask you, let us work together and help this be a holy place once more.'

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless Adelbert gets massive pushback against his 'reconsecrate the Temple' idea I'm quite happy to move on.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Though there was some quibbling over the details, no-one could dispute the wisdom of Adelbert's suggestion. At length, they all agreed to take part in the ritual of reconsecration - given a few days to gather the appropriate sacrifices, of course. All agreed it should be done before the coronation.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless you have another preference, I think the priests' preferred date for the ritual will be 2 days from now (the 19th). Let me know if you have other stuff you want to do before then - I'm going to skip ahead to Ludo and Sieghard picking up the spearhead, but very happy to timesplit in either direction.

Marktag, 18th Nachgeheim

Ludo & Sieghard

Manann’s Keep seemed strangely empty for a market day - perhaps because most of its most prominent merchants had already headed north for the coronation. Sforza’s colours fluttered feebly in the wind over Evatt’s crooked keep, the wooden walls of the Knight Mariner’s fort looking more ridiculous than ever. The Captain would have no need for it now - he had moved on to bigger things.

Sieghard’s stash in the old barracks was still there, apparently untouched. To unearth the spearhead, he had to dig - but it didn’t take much digging before he heard the clink of metal under his borrowed spade. Brushing the dirt off the buried sack, he opened it to see the golden spearhead, gleaming back at him.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-12-08 at 04:12 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb