New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why each class is in its tier: 2019 update!

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeTheCat View Post
    I still think knight is punchy enough to be T4, right around fighter.
    Just to be clear, the spreadsheet shows you previously voted it at 4.8; is this a change?

Quote Originally Posted by Lans View Post
    I think they are a hair shy of tier 3, like +2 skill points and a medium BAB shy of it.
    BAB is overrated. You're making touch attacks anyway.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Just to be clear, the spreadsheet shows you previously voted it at 4.8; is this a change?
    Actually yeah. I had the chance to play one for a brief period, and I basically ignored the knight's challenges except for fighting challenges. If I were to reevaluate it, I would say t4 just to balance the points, but specific placement I think it lives at 4.48 just like fighter because it is no less effective than fighter, in some ways more, in other ways less.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Transformation domain isn't even close to what can be accomplished with Wild Shape.

On its basest level of OP, WS gives you access to pretty much every movement speed all day long (12hrs/day at lv 6, 21hrs at lv 7). You also get to ignore your physical ability scores.

Then you get to the crazy stuff. I'm definitely not the best person to tell you about them, though. Eggynack is. The druid's encyclopaedia guide Eggy wrote has some really nasty tricks you can pull with WS.
    There's certainly an advantage to having everything enumerated in one place, but I think you'll find that the Transformation domain kicks in pretty hard if you research a bit.

Transformation domain gives you Alter Self at level 3. Alter Self gives you fly/swim/burrow as well as natural armor up to +8 and claw/claw/bite w/multiattack. Clerics of course can get it 24/7 at level 3 via DMM[Persist] which has many other applications as well. Here's a tradeoff table:
    Code:
    Alter Self           Wildshape
    +L3                    -L6 (to cast spells)
    +keep gear          -lose gear
    -keep physical      +new physical stats
    -no Ex attacks      +gain Ex attacks
    +no familiarity     -requires familiarity
    Both have:
    +effectively all day (via DMM persist or just hours available)
    -requires feat to use fully (Natural spell, or a partial share of DMM[Persist])
    +good utility
    +good combat

At level 9 the cleric then gets Polymorph which is generally far more adaptable than Wild Shape. And a level 15, there is Polymorph Any Object which is broken-good. At level 17 the Transformation cleric gets Shapechange. It's not until level 18 that the spontaneous druid also gets Shapechange.

Overall, the spontaneous druid has some advantage L6-L8, while the transformation cleric has an edge L3-L5 and L9-L17.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'm not super familiar with the full range on polymorph, but wild shape's access to extraordinary special qualities is a pretty big deal. Not sure how much more potent and adaptable polymorph is as a result.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    I'm not super familiar with the full range on polymorph, but wild shape's access to extraordinary special qualities is a pretty big deal. Not sure how much more potent and adaptable polymorph is as a result.
    Access to Ex special qualities is great.

Polymorph gives you access to a wider range of forms and it allows to manipulate your type which has many beneficial effects.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post
    Access to Ex special qualities is great.

Polymorph gives you access to a wider range of forms and it allows to manipulate your type which has many beneficial effects.
    I'm just kinda skeptical that polymorph covers all the ground of the special qualities of all aberration forms. It's a lot of ground.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Interesting, but what is actually the point of this? Are there people that will not play a fighter because is it tier 4?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

No the point of the tier list is to help balance in the groups because when you have in a 5 people group a soulborn, a scout, a duskblade,a sorcerer and a cleric it will not so fun for the first (even if he optimize like the hell) the second will have his niche but the other will be better, the third maybe will do more damage than the other, while the first two will be the main people of the party.

One could easily play a tier 4 group. One figther, one scout, one shadowcaster and one incarnate, they would have their role (if they do a good teamwork especially for the incarnate) and it can work better for all the player (as a game ) where all of them are essential to the party while in the first the cleric and the sorcerer would have the upper hand in many situations
    Finally my computer is without any problem!
    Spoiler: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition Medals
    Show
    Silver medal as Xin in Round XVII
    Gold Medal as Smit in Round XVIII
    Silver Medal as Hit Me In Round XIX
    Gold Medal as The Exiled in Round XIX
    Silver Medal as Elec Tri in Round XX
    Gold Medal as Tawamios in round XXI

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I'm not sure Sohei got a fair shake. No one ever answered if the 3.5 Update should be considered - it was official (Dragon Mag), and considering the 3.0 version gives a Bonus Feat that no longer exists, I think it's fair to assess the updated version. It's not a massive upgrade, but it is an upgrade - there are no downside outside of potentially losing Iajutsu Focus as a class skill. (The update actually doesn't change the class skills, but since Iajutsu Focus isn't a 3.5 skill, I would think it's plausible to remove it as a class skill). Sohei also got very few votes, ended up at 4.5, and then Kurald broke the tier and voted it into the Tier 5 stratum.

Also, I think some people might have thought their spell list is worse than it actually is, because the-site-we-can't-mention-by-name doesn't actually have the full list of spells. It's still pretty anemic, but it has some winners on it - Prayer, Protection from Chaos, Divine Power, Freedom of Movement, Death Ward, Shield of Faith, Resist Energy, Bull's Strength - it's small but not worthless. Also, as a prepared caster, they do have native access to Sanctified Spells, which gives you some things that are hard to come by in Tier 4 or 5, like flight (100 ft with good movement - only 1 round/level, and it comes online at Level 11, but that's better than never getting it).

I think it's clearly better than most comparable Tier 5 classes and I think it slots nicely into the low-middle of Tier 4 - it's worse than Ranger, but probably as good as or better than fighter. I'd vote it at 4.2.

Edit: Should also mention that since they get Lesser Restoration, they can cure their own sacrifice damage from using Sanctified Spells. (Unless there's a clause somewhere that sacrifice damage has to heal naturally, but I don't believe there is)
    Last edited by zfs; 2019-10-16 at 10:42 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

I am reaassesing marshall. I do not know if I voted in it's place but the auras make it into a potentially superior fighter and it makes a pretty nice face. HD and BaB are average, but you get simple and martial weapons, all armor and shields. Grant move action gives the party sans yourself pseudo pounce a few times a day, plus bonus on charge damage. Also they have all knowledge (i think looking at the wotc web article i do not own the miniatures handbook) and a way to pump that so they can toake knowledge devotions as well. It a worse spellless bard but I think it's better than a fighter.

I would put it at Tier 4 above fighter.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorcerer -> Low T1

Explaination: Choosing the right spells (Calling Creatures/polymorphing/Shapechange etc) the Sorcerer can have a vast amound of versatility without sacrificing any Power. in a scenario were Dragon Magazine is an allowed source the item "knowstone" functions for a Sorcerer as a Scroll does for a Wizard. Runestaves can also give access to multiple other spells. Finally the prestige class "Mage of the Arcane Order" can give a Sorcerer the same versatility as a Wizard. Finally some spells give a great bonus to the Sorcerer over the Wizard (Arcane Spellsurge) wile others exclusive to the Sorcerer can give amazing combos between spells (Arcane Fussion and it's Greater Version).

Because some optimisation (not to mention Dragon Magazine) is required to that end (as opposed to regular progression) i can see why it's considered T2. i don't want to oppen an old can of worms by this post either. Just wanted to share my oppinion that a well built Sorcerer deserves Tier 1.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2019-10-16 at 11:58 AM.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

There's certainly an advantage to having everything enumerated in one place, but I think you'll find that the Transformation domain kicks in pretty hard if you research a bit.

Transformation domain gives you Alter Self at level 3. Alter Self gives you fly/swim/burrow as well as natural armor up to +8 and claw/claw/bite w/multiattack. Clerics of course can get it 24/7 at level 3 via DMM[Persist] which has many other applications as well. Here's a tradeoff table:
    Code:
    Alter Self           Wildshape
    +L3                    -L6 (to cast spells)
    +keep gear          -lose gear
    -keep physical      +new physical stats
    -no Ex attacks      +gain Ex attacks
    +no familiarity     -requires familiarity
    Both have:
    +effectively all day (via DMM persist or just hours available)
    -requires feat to use fully (Natural spell, or a partial share of DMM[Persist])
    +good utility
    +good combat

At level 9 the cleric then gets Polymorph which is generally far more adaptable than Wild Shape. And a level 15, there is Polymorph Any Object which is broken-good. At level 17 the Transformation cleric gets Shapechange. It's not until level 18 that the spontaneous druid also gets Shapechange.

Overall, the spontaneous druid has some advantage L6-L8, while the transformation cleric has an edge L3-L5 and L9-L17.
    Transformation domain cleric is pretty specific and even somewhat obscure. What percentage of spontaneous clerics are going to choose it? Of that percentage, how many also take DMM: Persist and don't have better spells to use with it? Because every spontaneous druid starts with wild shape as a baseline. If we assume power level is ranked based on a weighted average of what we expect lots of different builds to look like—and it is—I'd bet that the Transformation domain's impact on its respective class is much lower than wild shape's. Plus, druid also gets the animal companion, which is another powerhouse class feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    Sorcerer -> Low T1

Explaination: Choosing the right spells (Calling Creatures/polymorphing/Shapechange etc) the Sorcerer can have a vast amound of versatility without sacrificing any Power. in a scenario were Dragon Magazine is an allowed source the item "knowstone" functions for a Sorcerer as a Scroll does for a Wizard. Runestaves can also give access to multiple other spells. Finally the prestige class "Mage of the Arcane Order" can give a Sorcerer the same versatility as a Wizard. Finally some spells give a great bonus to the Sorcerer over the Wizard (Arcane Spellsurge) wile others exclusive to the Sorcerer can give amazing combos between spells (Arcane Fussion and it's Greater Version).

Because some optimisation (not to mention Dragon Magazine) is required to that end (as opposed to regular progression) i can see why it's considered T2. i don't want to oppen an old can of worms by this post either. Just wanted to share my oppinion that a well built Sorcerer deserves Tier 1.
    "Low T1" isn't a numerical value. 1.5? 1.4? I can put you down as a 1, but if you want "low" then I need a decimal.

I must also remind you that prestige classes have no bearing on these rankings, so MotAO is irrelevant; proceed accordingly.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2019-10-16 at 12:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    Interesting, but what is actually the point of this? Are there people that will not play a fighter because is it tier 4?
    Yes, but there are also people who wouldn't play fighter because it's obviously weaker and more limited in its scope of abilities than many other classes whether the tier system existed or not.

The tier system was created to give DMs a rough idea of how well PCs of different classes could accomplish tasks (particularly relative to each other). T1 can handle pretty much any theoretical task and at high levels of optimization can do many of them with ease. Meanwhile, a T4 or 5 is likely to run into trouble outside a specific niche and sometimes even inside its own. Tiering can also serve as means to alert your players, if they're familiar with the tier system, how well they should optimize. If you say you're going to run a T1 game, for instance, they know they either need to break out High Op tricks for T2 and T3 classes or play a T1 class competently. OTOH, if you say you're going for a T4 balance point, they know that if they want to play a higher tier class they might have to make some choices that would normally be considered a little to very suboptimal.

Conventional wisdom seems to be you can play mostly fine within two tiers of whatever the stated balance point is. You can certainly play a class down more than that, but you really can't play up past a certain point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

Copy and pasted from the unofficial discord server upon request.

My opinion about the tierlist stuff
    Ardent- It's odd to see the write-up not mention the ACF's found in Mind's eye. Probably not enough to boost it a tier, but it a source of a major powershift for the class, even if you get rid of the whole, "Just add powers to your mantle" one.

Factotum- The only reason the Factotum is even arguably tier 3 is because of Arcane Dilettante. Brains over Brawns is probably the golden class feature of the class seeing as it is a bonus to a hard to get set of skills. If you'd remove Arcane Dilettante from the class, you'd end up with a worst rogue. And Arcane Dilettante doesn't scale particularly well. Factotum is dip for some builds or a class to enter Chameleon with.

Psychic warrior- Yeah. Very poor job selling it. I think it is actually better than the martial adepts at higher levels, but Martial adepts simply have an amazing floor to stand on so I can see them beating the psychic warrior out.

Incarnate- I feel is is Tier 3. On the lower end for sure, but fixing the chassis isn't that hard if you know what your doing. Slightly hard to rate though by itself seeing as unless you are starting at high levels, most Incarnates are going to have a dip or two to round themselves out better at mid levels.

Adept- This is one of the classes where I think just straight level 20 build rating falls apart, because I don't think anybody who is going to play this class is going to play it without being a hexer, because otherwise, why would you play it? I understand that if you add in prestige classes to the mix and semblance of rating would fall apart, but you can't talk about this class in PC play without actually doing so.

Marshal- Tier 4. People seem to have a serious misunderstanding of this class. People often compare it to the bard (which is fair in a certain regard), but Inspire courage isn't really what the Marshal does. The Marshal can boost damage and accuracy a bit, but that isn't the only thing a marshal does. Marshals are much more notable for boosting skills & ability checks.
    (Although in the right party master of tactics does let you rack up some serious bonus damage). Nearly every party would actually love to have the marshal, and the class isn't really ability score dependent (It just requires you to have a 16 Cha, albeit more is better). The Marshal has the unfortunate position of being functional but boring.

Expert- Tier 6. I love skills, but they don't make a good class. It had a place as a dip for skills in early 3.5 and maybe some strange Core + 1 book builds in modern days, but skills don't make a class not tier 6.
    I mostly prowl the unofficial discord.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Yes, but there are also people who wouldn't play fighter because it's obviously weaker and more limited in its scope of abilities than many other classes whether the tier system existed or not.

The tier system was created to give DMs a rough idea of how well PCs of different classes could accomplish tasks (particularly relative to each other). T1 can handle pretty much any theoretical task and at high levels of optimization can do many of them with ease. Meanwhile, a T4 or 5 is likely to run into trouble outside a specific niche and sometimes even inside its own. Tiering can also serve as means to alert your players, if they're familiar with the tier system, how well they should optimize. If you say you're going to run a T1 game, for instance, they know they either need to break out High Op tricks for T2 and T3 classes or play a T1 class competently. OTOH, if you say you're going for a T4 balance point, they know that if they want to play a higher tier class they might have to make some choices that would normally be considered a little to very suboptimal.

Conventional wisdom seems to be you can play mostly fine within two tiers of whatever the stated balance point is. You can certainly play a class down more than that, but you really can't play up past a certain point.
    Also, who doesn't like ranking things?

Quote Originally Posted by LordCharlemagne View Post
    Ardent- It's odd to see the write-up not mention the ACF's found in Mind's eye. Probably not enough to boost it a tier, but it a source of a major powershift for the class, even if you get rid of the whole, "Just add powers to your mantle" one.
    That's true. The free metapsionics are super busted once you hit that level.

Factotum- The only reason the Factotum is even arguably tier 3 is because of Arcane Dilettante. Brains over Brawns is probably the golden class feature of the class seeing as it is a bonus to a hard to get set of skills. If you'd remove Arcane Dilettante from the class, you'd end up with a worst rogue. And Arcane Dilettante doesn't scale particularly well. Factotum is dip for some builds or a class to enter Chameleon with.
    I don't think factotum is a particularly good or even logical entry for chameleon. I mean, you only need the one class skill.

16. - Top - End - #46

Urban Druid --> T1

While the loss of spontaneous summoning sucks, I don't think its enough to push the Urban druid out of T1, especially if the spell list is a bit more versatile.
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd love to see curves of the vote spread for each class. I imagine some are much sharper spikes than others...

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't think I have voted for Incarnate and would like to cast my vote for T3.5. If, per chance, I did already vote for that class with a different score, I would like to change it to 3.5.
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    I'm just kinda skeptical that polymorph covers all the ground of the special qualities of all aberration forms. It's a lot of ground.
    Going through your guide, you call out:
    L8: Nilshai: Extra standard action/round --- excellent combat form for dispensing spells.
    L8: Dharculus: Ethereal plane based --- excellent stealth.
    L9: Will'O Wisp: Immunity to Magic, Natural Invisibility --- excellent immunities.

Polymorph grants Thoon Elder Brain Dual actions, 12-headed hydra attacks, Wartroll's dazing blow, or the plant type's basket of immunities. Polymorph Any Object broadens the set of forms substantially at level 15.

And, when Shapechange hits it obsoletes everything else.

Overall, I'd give an edge to Enhanced Aberration Wildshape although it's fairly close.

Transformation domain cleric is pretty specific and even somewhat obscure. What percentage of spontaneous clerics are going to choose it? Of that percentage, how many also take DMM: Persist and don't have better spells to use with it? Because every spontaneous druid starts with wild shape as a baseline. If we assume power level is ranked based on a weighted average of what we expect lots of different builds to look like—and it is—I'd bet that the Transformation domain's impact on its respective class is much lower than wild shape's. Plus, druid also gets the animal companion, which is another powerhouse class feature.
    To the extent that Eggynack's guide has made Druid's more powerful by making many obscure things well known, that seems reasonable. I haven't seen a similar treatment for clerics yet. When/if someone does that, maybe usage patterns shift.

The transformation domain however is notably only an example. There's also things like Initiate of Mystra, demonic domain, spell domain, mother cyst, travel devotion, and more general persistomancy which are also generally on the table, with several of these combinable.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

To the extent that Eggynack's guide has made Druid's more powerful by making many obscure things well known, that seems reasonable. I haven't seen a similar treatment for clerics yet. When/if someone does that, maybe usage patterns shift.
    Wild shape and animal companion are hardly obscure. They're core class features that pack a ton of power on their own, even without any real optimization.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    I'll vote expert: 5.75 to help heal your frustration.

Also voting sorcerer: 2 because sorcerer should remain the exemplar of T2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Hm, I thought I had voted in the Incarnum thread, but maybe I decided not to because the common ratings of Totemist 3, Incarnate 4, Soulborn 5 were what I agreed with and I didn't have much else to say about them.
    I would like to add now that I'd change my vote for Incarnate to 3, as I've been working with them more as of late and appreciating what they have to offer a bit more.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimeTheCat View Post
    Actually yeah. I had the chance to play one for a brief period, and I basically ignored the knight's challenges except for fighting challenges. If I were to reevaluate it, I would say t4 just to balance the points, but specific placement I think it lives at 4.48 just like fighter because it is no less effective than fighter, in some ways more, in other ways less.
    Quote Originally Posted by zfs View Post
    I think [Sohei is] clearly better than most comparable Tier 5 classes and I think it slots nicely into the low-middle of Tier 4 - it's worse than Ranger, but probably as good as or better than fighter. I'd vote it at 4.2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    I am reaassesing marshall. I do not know if I voted in it's place but the auras make it into a potentially superior fighter and it makes a pretty nice face. HD and BaB are average, but you get simple and martial weapons, all armor and shields. Grant move action gives the party sans yourself pseudo pounce a few times a day, plus bonus on charge damage. Also they have all knowledge (i think looking at the wotc web article i do not own the miniatures handbook) and a way to pump that so they can toake knowledge devotions as well. It a worse spellless bard but I think it's better than a fighter.

I would put it at Tier 4 above fighter.
    Incarnate- I feel is is Tier 3. On the lower end for sure, but fixing the chassis isn't that hard if you know what your doing. Slightly hard to rate though by itself seeing as unless you are starting at high levels, most Incarnates are going to have a dip or two to round themselves out better at mid levels.

[...]

Marshal- Tier 4. People seem to have a serious misunderstanding of this class. People often compare it to the bard (which is fair in a certain regard), but Inspire courage isn't really what the Marshal does. The Marshal can boost damage and accuracy a bit, but that isn't the only thing a marshal does. Marshals are much more notable for boosting skills & ability checks.
    (Although in the right party master of tactics does let you rack up some serious bonus damage). Nearly every party would actually love to have the marshal, and the class isn't really ability score dependent (It just requires you to have a 16 Cha, albeit more is better). The Marshal has the unfortunate position of being functional but boring.

Expert- Tier 6. I love skills, but they don't make a good class. It had a place as a dip for skills in early 3.5 and maybe some strange Core + 1 book builds in modern days, but skills don't make a class not tier 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    Urban Druid --> T1

While the loss of spontaneous summoning sucks, I don't think its enough to push the Urban druid out of T1, especially if the spell list is a bit more versatile.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    I don't think I have voted for Incarnate and would like to cast my vote for T3.5. If, per chance, I did already vote for that class with a different score, I would like to change it to 3.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    Sorcerer -> Low T1
    All of these votes have been tallied and added to the spreadsheet. Marshal is inching closer to the line, but nothing has shifted as of yet.

I'm curious if we can get a little more discussion about urban druid. The more I look at it, the more I think it's a solid T1. I think if nothing else, it's at least clearly better than the wu jen.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2019-10-16 at 06:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Adept is interesting. I think it ranks over Magewright for 1. Having actual support 2. Getting access to its full list 3. Even if it didn't, its spell list is generally more relevant. It's probably ranked too highly relative to other T4 classes, but part of the problem is how low ranked Paladins, Rangers, and even Fighters are. Fighters are less that half a tier from Monk. That said, the only T5 class I think actually has a chance of surpassing it "easily" is a Truenamer that can actually get consistent access to its abilities. I'd rate Adept 4.5 if I haven't already. I think it sits right at the border of T4.

I think the same holds true for the Expert. Is the Expert good? No. Does it hang around the same area as the CW Samurai thanks to its custom skill list? I think so. I'm actually comfortable with it sitting about where it is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

This looks like a good project. Everything is about where I'd expect it.

I think this shows that tiers are still a useful description of classes. Even though there aren't prescriptive traits in the tier descriptions anymore, the classes in a tier still have generally have traits in common.

I have a few votes to submit, but I want to read the discussions before I make them official.

EDIT: Okay, I've read the discussions, and all of my votes have changed by a little.

Adept: T4.75. Adepts are severely anemic with spell slots. They get a good list, but the list is too small to really be powerful, and on top of that they're prepared casters. By the time they get good spells and enough slots to use them reliably, the spells are no longer worthwhile. That being said, they are better than most T5, with its samurais and monks and truenamers. So I'm voting on the high end of tier 5.

Expert: T6. Expert is the only really sucky class that does skills well. This makes it hard to compare, but there is no niche protection in the tier system. Expert is worse than CW Samurai, between chassis and actually having some class features (I can count a whole 3 real class features on the Samurai, plus a few bonus feats). It's comparable to Aristocrat, which I rank as a definite T6. Compared to Aristocrat, Expert gains 2 skill points and a class skill or two in exchange for martial weapon proficiencies and a HD size. It's probably better than Aristocrat, but it's close.

I really like incarnum as a system, and I want Incarnate to be good, but whenever I look at it it seems to lack something to be actually good at. That being said, I lack the practical build experience to differentiate between T4 and T3. I did build a Necropolitan Incarnate/Necrocarnate as an NPC once, but it was more a puzzle excounter than anything.
    Last edited by Hish; 2019-10-16 at 11:22 PM.
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Wild shape and animal companion are hardly obscure. They're core class features that pack a ton of power on their own, even without any real optimization.
    Eggynack is pointing at Aberration Wildshape (LoM), Enhance Wild Shape (SC), Nilshai (UE), and Dharculus (PH) which are perhaps comparable to Transformation Domain (RoE) and DMM(CD) [Persist(CA)] in obscurity.

Just sticking with core, on the Cleric vs. Druid question, I'm not sure. Perhaps I need to play through with a druid (which I haven't).

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

BAB is overrated. You're making touch attacks anyway.
    If your making touch attacks aren't you being severly hampered by energy resistance and immunities in addition to dealing anemic damage from level 4 on?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HisHighestMinio View Post
    I really like incarnum as a system, and I want Incarnate to be good, but whenever I look at it it seems to lack something to be actually good at. That being said, I lack the practical build experience to differentiate between T4 and T3. I did build a Necropolitan Incarnate/Necrocarnate as an NPC once, but it was more a puzzle excounter than anything.
    Generally either you're going to pick one of melee, ranged, minions, or fifth-wheel support and be good at that one thing, or you're going to pick two of them and be slightly less good at both; and you can respec on a day-to-day basis as the situation demands.

Quote Originally Posted by Lans View Post
    If your making touch attacks aren't you being severly hampered by energy resistance and immunities in addition to dealing anemic damage from level 4 on?
    Meh, Lightning Gauntlets and Dissolving Spittle use two of the least resisted energy types, so it's not nearly as glaring a weakness as, say, sneak attack being useless every third encounter. And you can also have minions with your necrocarnum zombie and/or soulspark familiar, neither of which cares about your BAB at all. Or, if you're going the UMD route, you might have wands to fall back on when your primary attack is ineffective. Or heck, maybe you're using weapons after all and you still don't care about BAB because you can just use one or more of your soulmelds to boost your attack and make up for it—with Incarnate Weapon, for example, you only have +1 BAB at 3rd level, but you're swinging a +3 weapon where the martial character is lucky to have a masterwork one, and you still have two other soulmelds and a crown bind. I call that a net win.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

The problem with incarnate, 3.75 for my vote by the way, is that you lose the versatility you had in the beginning at higher levels. Its great from levels 1-6, but after that you start getting more and more wealth and its hard to stay flexible with that wealth. The more Soulmelds you have the harder it is to change which melds you have shaped without affecting your primary thing. The more you work with the party the more they expect you to have a certain role.

This is way worse when you try to use the avatars, besides good, as they almost require a certain weapon enhancement at later levels. Now if you read a guide and took a level of any skill user, or tomb of battle, or totemist first it is a system that multiclasses superbly well.

I'm torn on the monk... I see the tier 5 as outside the internet monks, but mostly play online where monk doesn't get played with restricted books. So most of the monks I see are invisible fist with the level 7 stealth ability baked in, they tend towards 3 or not being played at all.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking at the list as it currently stands... It's almost weird, really, how if you don't have spell (powers, maneuvers) of some sort, you are at best T4. I think the Binder and Totemist are the only exceptions?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Looking at the list as it currently stands... It's almost weird, really, how if you don't have spell (powers, maneuvers) of some sort, you are at best T4. I think the Binder and Totemist are the only exceptions?
    Binder and Totemist still have scaling abilities, even if they aren't directly called spells, powers or maneuvers.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post

I don't think I would join a game where the DM expects the characters to be optimized or of a certain tier. By far most people I play with never go online to read up on the game. Nor do they own any books. A GM should adjust the game in such a way everyone has fun. Regardless who has the strongest character.