Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Disney plus... pretty much everything...

^ On top of which, Disney (unlike Netflix) has positive cash flow. That's no guarantee that these shows will have better budgets than the Marvel Netflix shows did, but it can't hurt... and Disney has something to prove since these shows are going to be integral to Phase 4, with F&WS kicking things off and setting the tone not just for the rest of the slate, but for the service as a whole.

(I mean, they'll have to have bigger budgets since they are using MCU film actors, but hopefully there'll be enough dosh left over in order to have a high production quality too.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ^ On top of which, Disney (unlike Netflix) has positive cash flow. That's no guarantee that these shows will have better budgets than the Marvel Netflix shows did, but it can't hurt... and Disney has something to prove since these shows are going to be integral to Phase 4, with F&WS kicking things off and setting the tone not just for the rest of the slate, but for the service as a whole.

(I mean, they'll have to have bigger budgets since they are using MCU film actors, but hopefully there'll be enough dosh left over in order to have a high production quality too.)
    Just pointing out Isaac "Ike" Perlmutter (Marvel CEO from 2005 to 2019, former upper management at Marvel of various ranks since the 1990s.)

Ike was a very famous spendthrift not greenlighting projects unless there was brand synergy, and obsessive about cutting costs, sometimes to an absurd† degree. (†Of course what is absurd or not absurd is in the eye of the beholder.)

Kevin Feige for the Marvel Movies had to report to Ike until 2015 where there was an reorganization and Marvel Movies just had to report to the Disney Upper Management since it was considered Marvel Movies was a big enough department not to require Marvel Entertainment Supervision.

Of course Marvel Television and Marvel Comics still had to report to Ike, and Joseph Loeb was in charge of Marvel Television but still Ike had oversight of this part of Marvel.

I got more to say here but I will not due to board rules for Isaac "Ike" Perlmutter is political in his personal life and we can't talk about Politics on this board. How much of his ideas of how the world should be may have also influenced his oversight of Marvel Comics and various other Marvel properties for Ike had very strong opinions of the way the world should be, but also simultaneously if he had the numbers that ideas he disagreed with make money he was fine with green-lighting projects, but if there was risk / taking chances of X may not be a sure thing he would default to his priors.

-----

So yeah we have no clue what Marvel Television at DisneyPlus is going to be like for it will have different people running management than Marvel Television at Netflix or Marvel Television at other distributors such as Agent of Shield would be like. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[PS I seem very critical of "Ike" Perlmutter but I also acknowledge I am removed from the situation, and also companies is a collaborative medium and not one person is responsible. Furthermore I can make simultaneously cases that are internally consistent that "Ike" Perlmutter was awesome for Marvel, horrible for Marvel, or a mix of things both good or bad for Marvel. All of these may be true or just some of them even though I can make internally consistent cases. My point with this PS is to remind everyone new people in charge so everything may be different or everything may be the same, we honestly do not know.]
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Any word on when the following films WILL be on the streaming service:

-Captain Marvel
    -Endgame
    -Far From Home

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post

-Captain Marvel
    -Endgame
    -Far From Home
    - Yes
    - Not until December
    - No

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post

-Captain Marvel
    -Endgame
    -Far From Home
    - Yes
    - Not until December
    - No

Could you elaborate on that? Like a general date or month? Is there any overlap with that and Endgame?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ^ On top of which, Disney (unlike Netflix) has positive cash flow.
    Wait a sec, when did Netflix stop having positive cash flow?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Could you elaborate on that? Like a general date or month? Is there any overlap with that and Endgame?
    It's release day content.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    This is too complicated of discussion for this forum, but no Netflix still has income (which is different than cashflow) having positive income of spending vs getting money from subscription users since 2003.

But currently Netflix only makes about 8 to 10% of its money profit compared to its income for it is spending so much money.

Simultaneously Q1Y2019 they were growing US subscribers, Q2 same year they lost US subscribers for the first time, Q3 they gain US subscribers but barely compared to their Q1 numbers. Thus it looks like the US market is saturated and this is before competition like Disney Plus and all those other competitors. Now US customers is about half of the Netflix customer base for they have also have international customers but at the same time [yadda, yadda, yadda.]

Netflix is probably a stock that still makes sense and there has been Netflix skeptics for years (and if they shorted the stock they would constantly lose money.) But now Netflix in 2019 is no longer in the growth mode that it used to be in. Netflix now has competition and simultaneously the amount of growth Netflix could extract is much less than it could years ago for they have already saturated the market in several countries.

-----

Remember Netflix's market cap is 120 billion dollars stock market wise, and Disney market cap is is 234 billion dollar currently.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-10-21 at 05:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

When you asked, "will these movies be on the streaming service" I assumed you meant "on launch day."

Captain Marvel will be available on launch day. Endgame won't be available until December. If there are any plans to put Far From Home on there, I have no idea when that will be at all.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    So yeah we have no clue what Marvel Television at DisneyPlus is going to be like for it will have different people running management than Marvel Television at Netflix or Marvel Television at other distributors such as Agent of Shield would be like. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Well of course we don't know what it's going to be like, this is all speculation. But I think it's based on a couple of sound premises - that they have more money than Netflix and that they have an incentive for D+ to have a strong start. (Won't comment on the Ike stuff though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    Since 2011 (give or take) through today. This video does a good job of covering everything from Ramza00's post, but the negative cash flow stuff in particular comes in around the 8:50 mark.

Short version - they are somewhere between $10-30B in debt, and the way to dig themselves out of that is more subscribers and higher prices. But the latter hurts the former, and the former will be hurt by Disney+ coming in at the exact same price point with better content. In summary, it's not looking great.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2019-10-21 at 05:50 PM.

But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

This is too complicated of discussion for this forum, but no Netflix still has income (which is different than cashflow) having positive income of spending vs getting money from subscription users since 2003.

But currently Netflix only makes about 8 to 10% of its money profit compared to its income for it is spending so much money.
    8 to 10% profit out of revenue is really solid - especially as it allows you to ignore stock prices to a much greater degree, which are required to get negative cashflow.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    8 to 10% profit out of revenue is really solid - especially as it allows you to ignore stock prices to a much greater degree, which are required to get negative cashflow.
    8 to 10% profit by itself is not telling you the full equation. It can be a good thing if all the other numbers are looking good. Furthermore 8 to 10% profit is a good number in certain industries that are more "material good based" and no one can compete against you well easily due to some form of "moat."

But for comparison sake, The Walt Disney Corporation has 20 to 25% profit overall and some divisions of Disney has much higher profit and some divisions much lower profit than that 20 to 25% profit over the year. That is because The Walt Disney is more diversified it is not just movies, it is also toys, theme parks, so on and so on.

------

I am not faulting Netflix here, I am merely saying it is going to get harder unless they figure out a key new insight, a new pivot. Netflix is where they are today for they pivoted miraculously at probably the best times to pivot with things like DVDs vs Streaming (by buying other people's content rights for cheap at cable prices but you were able to give customers what they want on demand) vs Streaming (their own shows) so on and so on.

Furthermore while Netflix has been awesome at pivoting the larger they get the less they are able to grow for they are now such a large amount of entertainment dollars you are not unlocking potential but instead competing for market share against other established actors. Stocks evolve, we used to have in the world the concept of "Blue-chip stocks" with a Blue Chip Stock being the stocks of large, stable companies that have a long history of stable earnings and dividends. Blue-Chip stocks did not see much growth potential so instead of reinvesting inside of themselves they did reliable dividends to make Wall Street happy. Well Netflix is more like a Blue-Chip now a days instead of a "Growth Stock" that it used to be.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    When you asked, "will these movies be on the streaming service" I assumed you meant "on launch day."

Captain Marvel will be available on launch day. Endgame won't be available until December. If there are any plans to put Far From Home on there, I have no idea when that will be at all.
    Please tell me Captain Marvel will still be up in December. I'm only planning on doing a free trial so I don't have to directly pay to watch these films. I've legally paid to see every MCU film, however after Iron Man 3 I paid in the sense I was subscribed to a streaming service. I didn't directly and specifically pay to see it. I don't want to break my streak of this that has been going on since Iron Man 3.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Please tell me Captain Marvel will still be up in December. I'm only planning on doing a free trial so I don't have to directly pay to watch these films. I've legally paid to see every MCU film, however after Iron Man 3 I paid in the sense I was subscribed to a streaming service. I didn't directly and specifically pay to see it. I don't want to break my streak of this that has been going on since Iron Man 3.
    Disney's plan is to launch Disney+ on November 12th, and then just 3 weeks later they will remove all the movies, release a press release that just says "HA HA!", and then cancel everyone's subscriptions.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Everyone needs a "hobby" I guess. It could be worse, yours could somehow include a white whale.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Disney's plan is to launch Disney+ on November 12th, and then just 3 weeks later they will remove all the movies, release a press release that just says "HA HA!", and then cancel everyone's subscriptions.
    Given how much Disney loves money and doesn't care for its own fans this statement could be 100% accurate.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Originally Posted by sidhe_blooded
    Originally in the comics it was suggested that they had latent x-genes that were activated by the drug. That's since been dropped and it's explicitly stated that they're mutates these days.
    According to Wikipedia, the latest storyline put Cloak and Dagger through some extensive genetic tests, after which it was determined they had zero connection to mutants and their abilities were solely derived from the experimental drugs, no latent anything.

Which is exactly how they started out, so I'm glad for that.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    According to Wikipedia, the latest storyline put Cloak and Dagger through some extensive genetic tests, after which it was determined they had zero connection to mutants and their abilities were solely derived from the experimental drugs, no latent anything.

Which is exactly how they started out, so I'm glad for that.
    It was mostly an excuse for them to hang out with the X-Men for a while so they could be somewhere, I think. Though that was a while ago.

Marvel hasn't really tried to push Cloak & Dagger, even timidly, since the mid-00's really. Which is odd to me, since the last decade or so has been largely defined by going with anything that isn't F4 or Mutant-related and they are neither. Even with their television series - which admittedly has proven to weakly synergize with comics - they're remarkably absent. The Ultimate universe was more interested in them, well, until Marvel imploded it.

Maybe their niche was simply subsumed by the Runaways, I suppose it largely has.

19. - Top - End - #49

Everyone needs a "hobby" I guess. It could be worse, yours could somehow include a white whale.
    So Disney is a large, destructive animal in this metaphor? Considering I've heard Disney compared to Thanos and far worse that's one of the nicest metaphors/allegories for Disney imaginable.

Personally I compare Disney to Harry Potter's greedy, selfish cousin or mother Gothel from Tangled. To each their own though.
    Last edited by Magic_Hat; 2019-10-22 at 04:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

So Disney is a large, destructive animal in this metaphor? Considering I've heard Disney compared to Thanos and far worse that's one of the nicest metaphors/allegories for Disney imaginable.

Personally I compare Disney to Harry Potter's greedy, selfish cousin or mother Gothel from Tangled. To each their own though.
    In your hobby you want to watch Disney Content, but A) not pay for it specifically as in a free subscription or B) not pay for it specifically for you already had a subscription to watch free content that the subscription allowed you to see non Disney content.

It is your god given right and free will to do this if you want. But getting angry that you will not see a marvel MCU movie, or if you do see it you have to spend $2.99 on a rental, or doing it illegally. Well that is a whole lot of work. The only reason we call it a hobby and not "work" is you derivate joy and satisfaction from it.

"Celebrate Kirei [Kotomine] you have finally understood what pleasure is at long last!"

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    It was mostly an excuse for them to hang out with the X-Men for a while so they could be somewhere, I think. Though that was a while ago.

Marvel hasn't really tried to push Cloak & Dagger, even timidly, since the mid-00's really. Which is odd to me, since the last decade or so has been largely defined by going with anything that isn't F4 or Mutant-related and they are neither. Even with their television series - which admittedly has proven to weakly synergize with comics - they're remarkably absent. The Ultimate universe was more interested in them, well, until Marvel imploded it.

Maybe their niche was simply subsumed by the Runaways, I suppose it largely has.
    I brought them up together largely because of their impending crossover, which looks like it'll be all kinds of awesome

Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #52
    Firbolg in the Playground

I took it to mean he's calling you Ahab and Disney is your Moby Dick. Something you chase and obsess over but never actually catch or overcome.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I took it to mean he's calling you Ahab and Disney is your Moby Dick. Something you chase and obsess over but never actually catch or overcome.
    It's more like my green light at the end of the dock.

But I do appreciate the literary reference. If this was an MCU film the reference would be Plankton and a Krabby Patty because the MCU can't strive into classic literature because some people might not get the reference. Remember when Tony Stark called that one alien Squidward. I LOVE QUIPS! I GET THE REFERENCE TO EXTREMELY POPULAR CHILDREN'S CARTOON CHARACTER! WHO NEEDS ART OR INTELLECTUALISM!

I grin at thee thou grinning mouse!

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    We're talking about something based on comics. When has anyone ever stayed dead in comics that was remotely popular?
    Yeah well it's dumb in comics too. If I have a problem with the source material and that problem is in the adaptation then it's still a problem.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's more like my green light at the end of the dock.

But I do appreciate the literary reference. If this was an MCU film the reference would be Plankton and a Krabby Patty because the MCU can't strive into classic literature because some people might not get the reference. Remember when Tony Stark called that one alien Squidward. I LOVE QUIPS! I GET THE REFERENCE TO EXTREMELY POPULAR CHILDREN'S CARTOON CHARACTER! WHO NEEDS ART OR INTELLECTUALISM!

I grin at thee thou grinning mouse!
    Eh, the decision to reference a popular low-prestige character says something useful to the scene and to the character. The scene is Tony (as always) trying to insult someone who has set themselves in a position of judgement. Referencing "art" or "intellectualism" at such a moment would be a compliment to the person - they may be foolish, but they are foolish on a level worth being remembered. By using Squidward, Tony says the exact opposite: you (Ebony Maw) are foolish, and your foolishness is not even worth analysis. It is material worthy of mockery by children.

This is a part of how Tony acts. He thinks he's the guy who punctures everyone's high thoughts of themselves. So it makes sense that he'd deliberately use a low-prestige character to insult someone so high-and-mighty. Referencing things like ancient mythology or storied pieces of literature have their place; that reference was probably not one. MCU made a deliberate decision there, and it is probably the right decision.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by uncool View Post
    Eh, the decision to reference a popular low-prestige character says something useful to the scene and to the character. The scene is Tony (as always) trying to insult someone who has set themselves in a position of judgement. Referencing "art" or "intellectualism" at such a moment would be a compliment to the person - they may be foolish, but they are foolish on a level worth being remembered. By using Squidward, Tony says the exact opposite: you (Ebony Maw) are foolish, and your foolishness is not even worth analysis. It is material worthy of mockery by children.

This is a part of how Tony acts. He thinks he's the guy who punctures everyone's high thoughts of themselves. So it makes sense that he'd deliberately use a low-prestige character to insult someone so high-and-mighty. Referencing things like ancient mythology or storied pieces of literature have their place; that reference was probably not one. MCU made a deliberate decision there, and it is probably the right decision.
    I'm busy and don't have enough time to nitpick this, but how did a middle-aged man with no children in the year 2018 know about a supporting character in a children's show that came out in the late 1990s? And why was his first instinct to go there?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by uncool View Post

*Nods* in agreement.

Tony Stark is an insufferable [censored] who must always belittle others in order to build himself up. Tony Stark is a person who negs and negging is one of the fundamental parts of his character. (When I say neg I am using the slang of a person who insults others but also compliments them, you do this to manipulate people and manipulate the atmosphere.)

Literally there are like 5 negging comments to different people in this 3 minute avenger scene. "No hard feelings, Point Break" to Thor. (Point Break being an undercover cop movie where the cop pretends to be a surfer in order to stop the badguys.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ma7XEgbhZk

Well Agent Hill is not buying the Tony Stark "charm" and all the males in that scene are confused at what Tony is doing.

Tony also did the Point Break comment not just as a neg in Avengers (2012) literally 5 years later in Ragnarok (2017) the Quinjet recognizes Thor's voice but it will not let him use the Quinjet unless he uses the passcode of "Point Break."

Tony is just that type of guy.

-----

It was awesome to see The Ancient One / Tilda Swinton in Endgame with Bruce Banner / Hulk. But it would also have been awesome for a computer more women to dress Tony down prior to his dead and not buy the bs of Tony where he thinks he can walk on water. Well any woman could do this but "the feel of Tilda Swinton" out quipping Tony would have been a moment of cinema excellence in these MCU movies.

27. - Top - End - #57

*Nods* in agreement.

Tony Stark is an insufferable [censored] who must always belittle others in order to build himself up. Tony Stark is a person who negs and negging is one of the fundamental parts of his character. (When I say neg I am using the slang of a person who insults others but also compliments them, you do this to manipulate people and manipulate the atmosphere.)
    Yes that's so endearing like how he insults people and doesn't take in others feelings and neglects them like how he completely forgot about Professor Ho Yinsen the man who helped Tony build the first iron man suit and escape the cage. Remember that guy who gave his life for Tony? Did Stark ever like make a memorial to this guy? Or did he forget the same way he forgot to invite Pepper Pots to that cabin in Age of Ultron? I mean a genocidal robot is on the lose and Tony can't even be bothered to spend what could be his final days and hours on earth with a woman he is supposed to be in love with.

Oh that Stark! He's selfish jerk who inherited all his money and is a personification of war and weapons and profiting off death but...why do people like this character again?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Oh that Stark! He's selfish jerk who inherited all his money and is a personification of war and weapons and profiting off death but...why do people like this character again?
    Iron Man (2008) vibes where simultaneously Tony was the "rebel against the man" while also being badass and competent. Everyone knew the Tony Stark at the start of the movie was a jerk, but people thought he was a changed person by the end of the 2nd act and he was going to remain a changed man throughout the MCU career.

Then Iron Man 2 came along and this should have been the thing that broke peoples fascination of Iron Man for he is the same guy but even more obnoxious in Iron Man 2 and has made no moves for reform his outlook of how the world works, and how to make sure his tech does not become weapons of war with terrorist, or weapons of war with government. But once again there was a "restoration" narrative with even worse Tony Stark his dad (Howard Stark or something?) plus the movie stank and was not fun and people just pretend Iron Man 2 (2010) did not exist.

Avengers Tony (2012) is either loathed by the people who watched it, or people enjoyed this Tony for the room had tension and conflict whenever Stark was in the room. My point here is a very "polar response" between the two camps. People like tension and conflict, but we also like tension and conflict to be resolved. Tony Stark was not iron man in this movie but instead "bomb man."

Tony is then in like 5 or 6 more MCU movies as something more than cameos but instead actual important plot points but by 2015 (Age of Ultron) I think the Audience was already tired of Tony stick for we were familiar with it and we were more aware of the downsides of Tony and how he is the creator of messes and even when he is not making the world a worse place he is still "high maintenance."

But also in 2015 we already have Guardian of the Galaxy Vol 1 (2014) and we have a new fast talking man child to replace Tony as someone "the audiences" fell in love with. Note the Chris Pratt / Star Lord character I think the audiences are no longer in love with him around 2017 or 2018.

Now a days the audiences love Chris Hemsworth's Thor and Mark Ruffalo's Bruce Banner / Hulk. These people who were always there in the story but now they are the sexy dad bod people we adore, without them literally having dad bods

29. - Top - End - #59
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yes that's so endearing like how he insults people and doesn't take in others feelings and neglects them like how he completely forgot about Professor Ho Yinsen the man who helped Tony build the first iron man suit and escape the cage. Remember that guy who gave his life for Tony? Did Stark ever like make a memorial to this guy? Or did he forget the same way he forgot to invite Pepper Pots to that cabin in Age of Ultron? I mean a genocidal robot is on the lose and Tony can't even be bothered to spend what could be his final days and hours on earth with a woman he is supposed to be in love with.

I for one am super glad you'll never have a seat on a director's chair. The movie would he ten hours long and insufferable on top of that. We don't see Tony taking a dump so how do we know he does that?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Yes that's so endearing like how he insults people and doesn't take in others feelings and neglects them like how he completely forgot about Professor Ho Yinsen the man who helped Tony build the first iron man suit and escape the cage. Remember that guy who gave his life for Tony? Did Stark ever like make a memorial to this guy?
    He went and saved the guy’s village as his first act as Iron Man. I’d say that counts. Maybe there was a memorial or something but its not something you’d waste time showing in a film.

Or did he forget the same way he forgot to invite Pepper Pots to that cabin in Age of Ultron? I mean a genocidal robot is on the lose and Tony can't even be bothered to spend what could be his final days and hours on earth with a woman he is supposed to be in love with.
    Im confused as to this criticism. You’re saying it would make more sense for one of the main characters to go on vacation with his girlfriend instead of trying to stop the bad guy? How the **** would that make any sense in the movie?