Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 685
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    The Haunting

    Welcome to your third scenario of Call of Cthulhu, the Horror/Investigative roleplaying game of mystery wherein you, an ordinary person, shall encounter and confront the terrifying alien forces of the Cthulhu mythos. Now that you've gotten some experience under your belt concerning freeform investigations, we will enter into our first cooperative scenario. This is still something intended for a beginner, but this is also one of the more physically challenging beginning scenarios, but nevertheless, it is time to begin... welcome, to The Haunting.

    One important thing you have to keep in mind is that certain sections I may only show to either of you, for example, if/when you split up I may spoiler off certain pieces of text, if you happen to go insane, I may split up certain pieces of text. Basically, whenever you are not seeing the same thing, I will split up pieces of text.

    ----
    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Arkham, 2:32 PM, October 3rd, 1921

    You've returned. As you exit the motor-coach things seem... normal. Everything is seemingly peaceful within the city of Arkham. Your mind cannot help but go over the events of the last couple of days. While surely not as harrowing as what might have happened in Emberhead, one thing is for sure, the world is not just for humans. However deep this rabbit hole goes, you're unsure, but nevertheless, diving down it shall be a tale for another day, at least, definitely not today. You head into Bee's diner; although the shift is short, you cannot help but feel exhausted from all that has happened.
    Eventually you push the door to your apartment open and arrive inside. It's refreshing to be in your bed once more, and you feel at home.

    Arkham, 5:32 PM, October 5th, 1921

    You're still mulling over the events that occurred, and how your world has been changed. Your mind is now open to the secrets of the universe, and that is most certainly not a comfortable feeling. Nevertheless, despite your world changing, it seems that most other people's worlds have not, something that is immediately obvious when your reverie is interrupted with a "PLEASE HOLD!" As William looks over towards the actors and actresses on stage he nods in your direction, "Well that was the bee's knees, Deirdre. However, Jonah and Louise, you're lookin' a bit tight. Just loosen up a bit k?" He then strides back towards the center of the audience. "Take it from... umm..." He snaps his fingers a couple of times. "Yeah, 'You can't be real, yer ghosts!' line wouldja?"

    Spoiler: Successful Art/Craft (Acting) Roll
    Show
    You notice, as you're rehearsing more and more and becoming in touch with your character, that the characters in this play have a strange sense of listlessness. No character (character, not actor/actress) is satisfied with whatever it is they're doing, and yet, none can progress out of that spot either.


    Arkham, 3:35 PM, October 7th, 1921

    You reenter the walls of Miskatonic University and head towards room U35. You boldly (as much as you can muster) head on in through the doors and see the other three members of the society around the table, discussing. "I wonder how Deirdre fared?" Professor Jones wonders aloud. Speaking of which, Jessie looks up and sees your approach.
    "Miss McCoy! Splendid to see that you made it, now how'd everything go with Mr. Kimball? Did you find out what happened with the books, or his uncle?" Once more everyone seems to be awaiting the news with bated breath.


    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Arkham, 4:32 PM, October 3rd, 1921

    You've returned. As you exit the motor-coach things seem... normal. Everything is seemingly peaceful within the city of Arkham. Your mind cannot help but go over the events of the last couple of days. While surely not as harrowing as what happened in Emberhead, one thing is for sure, the world is not just for humans. However deep this rabbit hole goes, you're unsure, but nevertheless, diving down it shall be a tale for another day, at least, definitely not today. You head into the Gazette; although the shift is short, you cannot help but feel exhausted from all that has happened.
    You push the door to your apartment open and arrive inside. It's refreshing to be in your bed once more, and you feel at home.

    Arkham, 11:18 AM, October 5th, 1921

    It takes some time, but you eventually find yourself back in the monotony of normal life. After what you experienced and saw, you're intrigued. There is more to this life than you know, and although all of your previous knowledge has shown otherwise, the world is much larger than it initially appears. As your thoughts are broken when a set of papers slams down on your desk. "Strong Report. On my desk. By the 7th." You quickly pour over a stack of papers and begin to cover Lucas Strong, a bigwig of the Vermont area, head of the Vermont Water Board and former owner of a successful local Vermont logging firm. Apparently, developments are beginning for a new reservoir, Somerset reservoir (according to one piece of information the reservoir was named after the old village turned small logging community), which is set to provide water for a wide variety of Vermont citizens, not just the ones in the nearby town.

    Arkham, 3:35 PM, October 7th, 1921

    You reenter the walls of Miskatonic University and head towards room U35. You boldly (as much as you can muster) head on in through the doors and see the other three members of the society around the table, discussing. "I wonder how Izzy fared?" Professor Jones wonders aloud. Speaking of which, Jessie looks up and sees your approach.
    "Mister Laskov! Splendid to see that you made it, now how'd everything go with Mr. Kimball? Did you find out what happened with the books, or his uncle?" Once more everyone seems to be awaiting the news with bated breath.

    ----

    I know this might sound weird, but unless the other player's character can observe what you're doing (so like here) please answer in a spoiler as well. This is just in order to help with the realism (and in a game like Call of Cthulhu, where so often things are different from person to person, this can be incredibly important.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-17 at 12:44 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Monday, October 3rd.

    Deirdre had a heck of a lot to think about. While admittedly a lot of that thinking was done on the coach ride back to Arkham as she wistfully stared out the windows, observing the natural world and the bits of civilization in it, her mind was still reeling and also rather exhausted from the previous days' mental exertions on her.

    Bee's Diner was going to need her, whether she could truly accept the fact that there were other beings out there or not. The afternoon shift wasn't so busy but was still rather brutal all things considered, but luckily no one really asked her what happened over the weekend aside from the polite 'How was your weekend?'

    Deirdre returned home, finding most stores closed, unfortunately, and her kitchen pantry somewhat lacking. Fashioning a meager meal together for herself, she eventually turned in for the night.

    Tuesday, October 4th.

    The opening shift was rather busy at Bee's but otherwise the rest of the day was smooth sailing.

    After work, Deirdre visits a library but (gasp) not to bang her head against a wall. She casually peruses the fiction section and just picks something. Perhaps a good fantasy book was exactly what she needed right now. Heck, maybe it wasn't even fantasy anymore...

    Then Deirdre does a bit of grocery shopping. She spends the rest of her time at home. A bit of cleaning, some cooking, and reading her borrowed book. All the while she kind of hopes she might receive a call from Ripley, though it seems, perhaps, it was being a bit too optimistic.

    Wednesday, October 5th.

    Arts/Crafts (Acting): (1d100)[12]

    "Y-you can't be real!! You're.. you're ghosts!"

    Dierdre's acting skill in this scene is supreme. Too bad it wasn't the live performance.

    ((is listless the right word to describe a play??))

    She notes the overall despair of all the characters in the play. A tragedy in its own right, with the majority of characters too stubborn, lazy, or otherwise ignorant to change what it is in their life that bothers them. And the few that do have the capability and try, cruelly thwarted by fate.

    Friday, October 7th

    Deirdre returned to the society, with a bit of apprehension. It's not that she doubted she could pull it off. She just didn't want to do it.. She promised not to tell a soul about what she saw. And in truth, it would probably be for the best if they didn't know. Especially if they ever happened to get in touch with Thomas Kimball again.

    "Oh, uh.. it was nothing, really.." Deirdre said timidly, with a bit of a forced chuckle (good thing she was an actor and had time to think of how she'd go about this!).

    "Just some cat burglar that apparently liked books a lot. Figures, for a town with virtually no crime..." she says. "Couldn't catch the son of a gun, but I think he's at least been scared off for good..."

    She looks at their faces, gauging their reactions. Likely disappointed. If not, definitely after they would find out she didn't actually take any money from Thomas. "As for his uncle, nothing." She sadly shakes her head. "The only thing we did find out is it seems he decided to up and leave on his own, without a word to anyone else."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-17 at 02:06 PM.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

    Nexus character: Solstice

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Sunday, October 3rd....
    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    I believe this was actually a Monday, but I realize now that I was attempting to have you work that same day. I presume you'd work for a very short amount of time, enough so that you don't lose your job, but I should have made that more clear myself. I apologize (editing the previous post).


    Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    ((is listless the right word to describe a play??))

    She notes the overall despair of all the characters in the play. A tragedy in its own right, with the majority of characters too stubborn, lazy, or otherwise ignorant to change what it is in their life that bothers them. And the few that do have the capability and try, cruelly thwarted by fate.

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    I'm using it here, I guess what I mean by that is that the play contains characters who seem to be marked by listlessness, as you wrote.
    ----

    The trio look slightly dissapointed by the fact that it was more mundane than initially thought, but nevertheless, you succeeded. "Well, at least you scared off that burglar, but strange 'bout the uncle. Mighty strange indeed." You discuss the investigation a bit more amongst the other members. Eventually, the conversation turns, as Professor Jones notes how he's off to investigate a new archaeological dig site...
    "It's an expedition for fortune and glory! Also, don't you worry too much about the money, Deirdre, I've received some bonus funding and I'll be putting it towards helping out our little group." He also tells you all that he's planning on cataloging his discoveries and submitting them to the "Society's Logs" (a rather unofficial report of whatever expeditions they go on [huh, I wonder if there's a place for all of these]). The meeting concludes and you all head out yet again to continue your lives.

    Arkham, 6:38 PM, October 9th, 1921

    You're just finishing up completing a wonderful meal for yourself when the phone rings. As you head over to see who it is you hear a "Er... hello, Deirdre, right? This is Ripley, from Arnoldsberg. Sorry, just finally finished all of the extra paperwork. Now I don't know if you remember me but..."
    ----

    We can roleplay this conversation out or we can simply progress with it and say the both of you have a wonderful time making conversation. He really does enjoy talking to you.
    ----

    Arkham, 5:25 PM, October 12th, 1921

    You happen to be conversing with Rupert again, it's a pleasant time at the same cafe as you had been to nearly a month prior. Things have changed considerably. You have a job, you have some friends, you feel... like you belong. Anyway, Rupert continues his conversation. "And so truly, this revolutionized the development of Egyptian mythology and the occult forever. The cult of Aten, one of the first major monotheistic religi- *COUGH* *COUGH* religion *Cough*..." The coughing fit then stops as he politely holds up a napkin up to his mouth, he doesn't want to get a "young woman such as yourself" sick after all. "I'm dreadfully sorry, I think I've come down with something..."
    The conversation eventually ends pleasantly and Mr. Merriweather departs.

    Spoiler: Successful Medicine Roll
    Show
    The cough that Rupert Merriweather had, seems much more severe than he's letting on. You would presumably try and press him about it, but he assures you that "Oh, don't you worry Miss McCoy, I'm getting treatment from the best, they're the ones who *cough* treated you after all!" He gives you a weary smile.

    Arkham, 3:38 PM, October 14th, 1921

    Talking amongst the members of the Society, there is suddenly a knock on the door. The two students look rather confused, but Professor Jones gets to his feet and opens boldly proclaiming "Wentworth! You made it!"
    An older gentleman stands at the door. British, bald, but with a gentleman's mustache, he looks over the room and simply comments, "Hmmm... intriguing. Are there more, Nevada?" He looks towards Professor Jones who quickly shakes his head. "Well, that is fine. Greetings. I am Professor Avebury, languages is my forte, but I've recently been intrigued by several of your... discoveries, and, given that my Fridays are free, I felt that maybe I should join your little... society."
    Both Lois and Jessie immediately introduce themselves, with Jessie shaking his hand eagerly. "It's just fine to make your acquaintance Professor. I was looking to maybe take some of your classes soon." Lois simply nods and introduces herself curtly.
    Professor Avebury then turns towards you, "Greetings, ma'am. I do apologize but I am afriad I do not recognize you in the slightest, what might be your name madam?"
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-17 at 12:54 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Izzy Laskov
    Show
    Izzy's a roil of emotions. He feels tremendous warmth and comfort at being welcomed by these fellow seekers of truth; nervous about his first report; and unsure of how well they'll take it. Will I need to tread lightly? They seem more open-minded than most, but this is crazy stuff... Izzy sits down and takes a deep breath.

    He begins, in a low voice: "Well...I suppose it went rather well. I did, indeed, find out what happened to the books, and to the uncle. However, I should make this clear up front, I found some things that would be... rather fantastic to the average person. I made a judgment call that the Kimballs were better off not knowing the full truth of what I found. I hope as you hear the story you'll understand why, and not judge me for this deception."

    Izzy looks at their faces, trying to determine if they're judging his moral character, then continues. "Your suspicions that this was not an ordinary theft, nor an ordinary disappearance, were correct."

    Izzy reaches into his briefcase, and pulls out several pieces of paper. Each is a handcopy of the relevant last passages of the Uncle's journal; copied in triplicate on Izzy's return trip. He hands one to each of the members.

    "What you each hold in your hands, are the last entries of the Uncle's journal, right before he diappeared. I hope my writing is legible; I wrote these out on the return trip, so it's not my finest cursive."

    He waits while they read. Then, he shares with them the stories in the local newspaper, and finally the encounter in the graveyard. As he reaches the part about the Uncle's changed appearance, he hesitates, almost wondering if he should tell them -- did he even really see it himself, in the dark? Izzy knew how he would likely have reacted a few months ago, if someone had told him a similar story.

    But they sent me to do this. It's my duty to tell them, even if they end up not believing it.

    Izzy continues the story, relating the conversation with the Uncle as well as he can, up through the sound of collapsing earth. He pauses there, anxious to hear their reactions.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-18 at 05:56 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Sunday, October 9th

    Deirdre heads to church in the morning. Overall the experience was positive and added a bit more normalcy to her life again. Though what she really wanted was some answers. She couldn't help but feel there was a lie, or perhaps something omitted. The words of Jesse reverberated in her head: What if God had created more than just humans to walk the Earth?

    Later that evening, she is surprised and more than just pleased to hear from Ripley.

    "Oh! Ripley! Ripley Dern! How could I forget you? I must say it was awfully nice of you to help me out like that with all that paperwork you had to do. I hope I didn't get you in trouble..."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-18 at 06:36 PM.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

    Nexus character: Solstice

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    The trio's faces each change quite obviously. Jessie has a sudden look of shock, Nevada looks intrigued, and Lois gives a big grin. "I knew there was somethin' there, what'd I tell ya'!"
    Nevada simply nods as he looks over the newspaper clippsings, "Fascinating..." He ponders. "A group of these 'others' as you say, and they live underground? Wow, if they were to create a civilization of some kind, why the discoveries could be numerous!"
    Lastly Jessie stares at you, and seems to be coming to terms with what you're saying. She trusts you, although she met you recently you don't seem like someone who'd lie and yet, this goes against much of what she's been taught... "There must... there must be a reason for creating such things... God would make it so..." You discuss the investigation a bit more amongst the other members. Overall, for the most part they seem to take it pretty well. Sure, there are some queries and things that they question, but overall, your story lines up (it's like telling a bunch of people from the ghost-hunting club that you saw a ghost... also you gather that because they’re hearing this secondhand they’re, too a lesser extent, humoring their new member). Eventually, the conversation turns, as Professor Jones notes how he's off to investigate a new archaeological dig site...
    "It's an expedition for fortune and glory! I've also received some bonus funding and I'll be putting it towards helping out our little group. Perhaps I'll be able to find traces of these 'others' which you discussed, Izzy!" He also tells you all that he's planning on cataloging his discoveries and submitting them to the "Society's Logs" (a rather unofficial report of whatever expeditions they go on [huh, I wonder if there's a place for all of these]). The meeting concludes and you all head out yet again to continue your lives, although all of the members seem slightly changed as well, vindicated (or confused) in their beliefs.

    Arkham, 5:25 PM, October 12th, 1921

    You happen to be conversing with Rupert again, it's a pleasant time at the same cafe as you had been to nearly a month prior. Things have changed considerably. You have a job, you have some friends, you feel... like you belong. Anyway, Rupert continues his conversation. "And so truly, this revolutionized the development of Egyptian mythology and the occult forever. The cult of Aten, one of the first major monotheistic religi- *COUGH* *COUGH* religion *Cough*..." The coughing fit then stops as he politely holds up a napkin up to his mouth, he doesn't want to get a "seeker of truth such as yourself" sick after all. "I'm dreadfully sorry, I think I've come down with something..."
    The conversation eventually ends pleasantly and Mr. Merriweather departs.

    Spoiler: Successful Medicine Roll
    Show
    The cough that Rupert Merriweather had, seems much more severe than he's letting on. You would presumably try and press him about it, but he assures you that "Oh, don't you worry Mister Laskov, I'm getting treatment from the very best, here at St. Mary's in Arkham!" He gives you a weary smile.

    Arkham, 3:38 PM, October 14th, 1921

    Talking amongst the members of the Society, there is suddenly a knock on the door. The two students look rather confused, but Professor Jones gets to his feet and opens boldly proclaiming "Wentworth! You made it!"
    An older gentleman stands at the door. British, bald, but with a gentleman's mustache, he looks over the room and simply comments, "Hmmm... intriguing. Are there more, Nevada?" He looks towards Professor Jones who quickly shakes his head. "Well, that is fine. Greetings. I am Professor Avebury, languages is my forte, but I've recently been intrigued by several of your... discoveries, and, given that my Fridays are free, I felt that maybe I should join your little... society."
    Both Lois and Jessie immediately introduce themselves, with Jessie shaking his hand eagerly. "It's just fine to make your acquaintance Professor. I was looking to maybe take some of your classes soon." Lois simply nods and introduces herself curtly.
    Professor Avebury then turns towards you, "Greetings, sir. I do not think you have the look of a... student about you, so I apologize that I do not recognize you in the slightest. Nevertheless, what might be your name?"

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Immediately Ripley protests. "Why of course not Miss McCoy, for shore I had to do a couple more hours, but it wasn't too bad. I am glad that you remember me though, say... you said you were doing a play, right, ma'am? When'd that be? I'd love to take a trip on over to 'The City' as they say." You recall that the play is set for mid-November.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-18 at 09:01 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deidre McCoy
    Show
    "It'll be in mid-November," Deirdre says with anticipation. "Rehearsal is coming along nicely. I think I have my role down pat, but, well.. some others, not so much, and we've got to iron out other details..." She goes on about how the director seems picky and obsesses over details, but it's probably for the best. Eventually she meanders back to the subject at hand, naming the theater, its location, and the exact days he can expect to see live performances. "That is assuming everything goes according to schedule.. Say, I could even probably pull some strings and get you a front row seat! What day might you be off?"
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

    Nexus character: Solstice

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Izzy
    Show
    Izzy nods and gives the professor a small wave. “I’m Izzy Lazkov. Former rabbinical student; current novice journalist; and recent entrant to this Society. Pleased to meet you, Professor Avebury. I have great respect for the study of language.”
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-19 at 01:21 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Professor Avebury gives a polite and proper smile, "Splendid to hear that Mister Laskov. Again, I'm a professor of languages, and I was loaned a rather intriguing book from the time of the Roman Empire that left me with several... questions. Nothing truly fascinating, mind you, but it made me think of this "club" and I thought that this could be an interesting use of my free time."
    The group then continues into another discussion where Jessie comments about her American History class and how fascinating it was back in the late-17th century. "Why, Professor Leiter, gave one of the best lectures, I've ever seen! It was quite a fine one, comparing the developments women have made, specifically referencing the Salem Witch Trials." The conversation then takes a turn towards colonial America and what things about its history could still be uncovered (Lois comments that she considers the new field of "Revisionist History" to be really interesting).
    The discussion continues, until eventually, Professor Jones concludes with his report on the archaeological dig that occurred last week. Apparently, he and his group managed to gather some interesting finds, from a Native-American burial ground, and as he shows pictures of them he notes that "Although amazing, we also uncovered... Snakes..." The professor shudders a bit.
    Spoiler: Successful Listen Roll
    Show
    You hear him mutter under his breath, "Why'd it have to be snakes..."

    Finally, once more the meeting concludes, as your small group has grown a little bit larger, and a little bit more varied.

    Arkham, 12:27 PM, October 18th, 1921

    Mr. Flemming slams a paper on your desk. "Decent. Your writing could use a bit more work, as could your photography skills, but you're coming along." You see that it's a recent article you wrote about Declan McBride, a bootlegger who you've gathered has been trying to secure Boston for years. "Also, should've looked at the Whelan angle, Whelan's been provoking McBride from his rural operations. It's probably going to result in some pushback, McBride might even expand out as well." He strokes his chin, "But again, overall, decent article."
    You accept the praise, something rather rare to find from Mr. Flemming, and continue to work; although, as he leaves your desk he announces to the paper. "Couple weeks from now we got renovations, so it seems that all of you will be going out into the field. By the time we start up again in here, I want a fully written in-depth story, no excuses!" He then heads into his office. "Get back to work!"

    Arkham, 4:15 PM, October 21st, 1921

    You're discussing the newest report, apparently, someone from Danvers, a town an hour's drive or so out of Arkham, has reported that they've discovered a book in a language they don't understand. Immediately Professor Jones proclaims, "Why Wentworth, this would be the perfect opportunity to go! This is right up your alley, and I know that you just joined our society, but it's almost a rite of passage to go investigate something strange, eh?" He nods towards the non-professors in the group.
    Lois nods, "I don't see too much trouble there, pick up tha book, check what's goin' on, and ya' done!" Professor Avebury looks, rather, befuddled by this whole scenario. To try and encourage him, (although success seems rather unclear) Jessie chimes in.
    "Why professor, I'm sure it'll be a truly miraculous experience." You're not sure how spiritual Professor Avebury is, but you're not sure if a "miraculous experience" will persuade him. The professor holds his hands up in protestation.
    "Look, I have not truly done too much exploration and such. In addition, I have only been a member of this 'society' for barely a week. I appreciate all of your respective statements of... enthusiasm. However, I am wary of taking on such a mission." He then pauses and looks towards you. "Mister Laskov, what do you think?"

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    He pauses, thinking about what you just said while also presumably considering his mental calendar. "Well Miss McCoy, I think that the 19th would do just nicely. And for shore if you could get me a seat, why that sounds like berries to me!" You suddenly hear a muffled voice on the line. "Oh, sorry, that was captain..." You presume he directs his voice away from the telephone, but you can still hear it. "Be there in a moment, bud!" The voice then speaks to you, "Well, sorry, it seems I have to be getting back to work, but I'd love to come and see it then. Plus, it'll be nice to get out of Arnoldsberg... although apparently a cat is stuck in a tree... crime never sleeps!" You hear him chuckle as he wishes you goodbye and hangs up.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-19 at 12:54 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    (Medicine roll I forgot to do: (d100)[64])

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Izzy
    Show


    (Listen roll for Dr. Jones: (d100)[4])

    ”I think it’s a splendid idea! And I don’t know if this goes against Society ‘protocol’,” Izzy says with a facetious smile to the others, ”but I’d be happy to accompany our new member.”


  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Professor Avebury smiles, but holds up his hands. "While I do appreciate the enthusiasm Mister Laskov, I think that if I am to truly become a member of your group, it should be on my own." His face takes on one of worry, "Of course, I mean no insult by this. I welcome your company; however... As Miss Russo pointed out, it should be quite simple, no?"
    Lois shrugs as she's mentioned by name, "If ya' wanna go it alone, professeh, be my guest!"
    Professor Avebury nods, "I think it would be prudent if this were to be a solitary endeavor. That way I can prove my resourcefulness, as you would, by my lonesome." He looks around towards the other members of the group expectantly who give little of affirmation.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-19 at 01:18 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Wednesday October 12th

    "Oh dear, I hope you're all right, Rupert..." Deirdre says. Though she rather assumes it's just a cold or something and he'll get over it soon.

    ((I expect he says as much as well))

    At his request, she keeps her distance a little more than usual in hopes of not catching what he has. And hopefully, she indeed didn't already get infected.

    Friday October 14th

    Deirdre beams at the newcomer, a tad bit shy, but easily overcomes it. "I'm Deirdre McCoy. It's a pleasure to meet you, Professor Avebury."

    "Makes sense if you don't recognize me. I haven't been in this society long, and I'm not currently taking classes either..."
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

    Nexus character: Solstice

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Indeed, Mr. Merriweather would note that there's no problem at all.
    ----

    Professor Avebury gives a polite and proper smile, "Ah, I see Miss McCoy. Again, I'm a professor of languages, and I was loaned a rather intriguing book from the time of the Roman Empire that left me with several... questions. Nothing truly fascinating, mind you, but it made me think of this "club" and I thought that this could be an interesting use of my free time."
    The group then continues into another discussion where Jessie comments about her American History class and how fascinating it was back in the late-17th century. "Why, Professor Leiter, gave one of the best lectures, I've ever seen! It was quite a fine one, comparing the developments women have made, specifically referencing the Salem Witch Trials." The conversation then takes a turn towards colonial America and what things about its history could still be uncovered (Lois comments that she considers the new field of "Revisionist History" to be really interesting [slight anachronism, but I think given that she attends a prestigious institution we'll say it fits]).
    The discussion continues, until eventually, Professor Jones concludes with his report on the archaeological dig that occurred last week. Apparently, he and his group managed to gather some interesting finds from a Native-American burial ground, and as he shows pictures of them he notes that "Although amazing, we also uncovered... Snakes..." The professor shudders a bit.
    Spoiler: Successful Listen Roll
    Show
    You hear him mutter under his breath, "Why'd it have to be snakes..."

    Finally, once more the meeting concludes, as your small group has grown a little bit larger, and a little bit more varied.

    Arkham, 12:27 PM, October 18th, 1921

    You're waiting tables at Bee's, it's a busy lunch, but nevertheless you've gotten used to your job over the last month or so. It's not permanent obviously, but nevertheless, it's still something that should help until you get your big break. As you serve a nice plate of grilled cheese to what appears to be a German professor who smiles and says simply "Zhank you ma'am." Eventually, your shift is over but Jim takes you aside. "'Ey Deirdre, thanks for all the hard work. It's really showing. I'm afraid though, that this shack he knocks on the wood of the diner "will be closin' up for renovations in a couple weeks. Now everything's jake, ok, it'll be for maybe a week or so, and I'll keep on the pay, just wanted to let you know beforehand." You then depart, a week off, huh, should be nice.

    Arkham, 4:15 PM, October 21st, 1921

    You're discussing the newest report, apparently, someone from Danvers, a town an hour's drive or so out of Arkham, has reported that they've discovered a book in a language they don't understand. Immediately Professor Jones proclaims, "Why Wentworth, this would be the perfect opportunity to go! This is right up your alley, and I know that you just joined our society, but it's almost a rite of passage to go investigate something strange, eh?" He nods towards the non-professors in the group.
    Lois nods, "I don't see too much trouble there, pick up tha book, check what's goin' on, and ya' done!" Professor Avebury looks, rather, befuddled by this whole scenario. To try and encourage him, (although success seems rather unclear) Jessie chimes in.
    "Why professor, you'll be able to observe the truths that God made for only his most trusted to find! It'll be a truly miraculous experience." You're not sure how spiritual Professor Avebury is, but you're not sure if a "miraculous experience" will persuade him. The professor holds his hands up in protestation.
    "Look, I have not truly done too much exploration and such. In addition, I have only been a member of this 'society' for barely a week. I appreciate all of your respective statements of... enthusiasm. However, I am wary of taking on such a mission." He then pauses and looks towards you. "Miss McCoy, what do you think?"

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre
    Show
    Tuesday October 18th

    Deirdre looks a little concerned at Jim. She asks a couple (possibly dumb) questions. "Is it the termites? I though I heard we got rid of them already."

    With her curiosity mostly sated, she can only nod along with it, in any case. The diner would be back - and better - presumably. And keeping her pay over the week would be nice, though admittedly it was just a fraction of what she got from tips... Still, the week off might be nice...

    Friday October 21st

    Finally another payday.

    That afternoon, Deirdre visits with the society again. Professor Avebury's news he heard of was pretty intriguing, though she couldn't help but feel the others were perhaps being a bit too enthusiastic and scaring the man off. In fact, it's rather how she felt when she literally walked through the door and they were trying to send her off on a coach ride.

    After he asks her opinion she begins, "Well, Mr. Avebury.. you brought the news up to us, and I can only assume it interests you the most. It could be nothing. Just a person that isn't familiar with many languages. Or it could be a groundbreaking discovery. Either way, if you have the time, it wouldn't hurt to check it out.." She shrugs, trying not to seem too pushy or overly enthusiastic. "I think maybe you shouldn't think of it as a mission being assigned to you. This is your story, and your field of expertise. If you want to find out more first hand, rather than wait to see what someone with less expertise on the subject has to say.. go for it!" She beams widely at the gentleman.

    Persuade: (1d100)[68]

    Soon after the meeting, Deirdre visits a jewelry store to pick up a modest cross necklace to wear upon her neck again. Aside from the fact that most of her clothes were 2nd hand, it was kind of hard to think of anything she was missing from her disastrous trip through Emberhead...
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

    Nexus character: Solstice

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Jim shakes his head, "They just keep on comin' back, they do."
    ----

    No dice roll was needed, but thanks!
    ----

    Professor Avebury nods appreciatively. "That is a fair assessment Miss McCoy, thank you for your input." He then looks towards the rest of the group. "Well, it seems I shall endeavor to venture out after all." He also quickly adds in "Maybe this will offer some credence towards the supernatural, who knows?"
    With that discussion concluded, the society turns towards another discussion. This one interestingly happens to be led by you. You weren't really sure exactly what to cover, but you figured that you might as well give the society a bit of a primer to the world of the theater? Surprisingly, the entire group is incredibly intrigued, and they leave having learned even more about the world of the artiste.

    Arkham, 3:30 PM, October 26th, 1921

    You're just finishing up rehearsal when William calls out a group meeting. "Now look 'ere. Theater came in, saying they're behind on tech. Now, to be honest, ya' all doin' fine. I know I go hard on ya' sometimes, but I just want this to be the best ok. I'm sure Talbot Estus would want this. (you recall Talbot Estus to be the writer of the play, whom William practically adores) 'Cause of that, I'm lettin' tech take up our rehearsal space and I'll bring in some rando's to cover the placements. Ya' all can get a nice break. HOWEVER, that does not, in any way, mean that ya' can slack off with ya' lines." He waves a finger at the cast. "In tha meanwhile tho, I'll see ya' next week." He smiles and dismisses you all. Hmmm... it seems you won't even have rehearsal this next week either, strange...

    Arkham, 3:05 PM, October 28th, 1921

    Well, as you walk the halls of Miskatonic you think to yourself. It seems like you'll have a calm relaxing 9-day break, and you could really use a vacation of some kind. You've been working hard, and while the investigation into the Kimballs was... interesting, it also was rather stressful and intense. Would you really want something like that yet again? These are the thoughts buzzing through your head as you happen to notice someone else... someone whom you haven't seen before, walking towards room U35.
    ----

    I have absolutely no idea who this could possibly be! However, let me know if this all works out and then we'll actually be done with the prologue part. I hope that the one-month time skip made sense and was a least a little bit interesting to RP through. If you have nothing that you'd like to add, that's fine too, because for now we're just going to wait for the mysterious person to reach the point where they're entering the room.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-19 at 06:37 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre
    Show
    Alright, I don't think I have anything to add! By the way, wouldn't the next Friday be on the 28th? At least, I'm just keeping track of the days, however we've been counting them.

    Would I say hi first? Or just wait for now?
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

    Nexus character: Solstice

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    You are correct! My apologies, sometimes such things escape my notice. I'll try to do better in the future.

    As for the greeting, for now, just wait, we'll resume once Zene gets to the same place (they're very close).

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Professor Avebury smiles, but holds up his hands. "While I do appreciate the enthusiasm Mister Laskov, I think that if I am to truly become a member of your group, it should be on my own." His face takes on one of worry, "Of course, I mean no insult by this. I welcome your company; however... As Miss Russo pointed out, it should be quite simple, no?"
    Lois shrugs as she's mentioned by name, "If ya' wanna go it alone, professeh, be my guest!"
    Professor Avebury nods, "I think it would be prudent if this were to be a solitary endeavor. That way I can prove my resourcefulness, as you would, by my lonesome." He looks around towards the other members of the group expectantly who give little of affirmation.
    Spoiler: Izzy
    Show
    "Works for me! I have no doubt you'll do great."

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Wentworth nods appreciatively. "Thank you dearly for your input, Mister Laskov." He then looks towards the rest of the group. "Well, it seems I shall endeavor to venture out by myself." He also quickly adds in "Maybe this will offer some credence towards the supernatural, who knows?" Several glances are made towards you.
    With that discussion concluded, the society turns towards another discussion. This one interestingly happens to be led by you, discussing the development of Judaism over the last couple of millennia. The entire group is incredibly intrigued (especially given that it is made up of mostly Christians), and they leave having learned even more about the world around them.

    Arkham, 1:30 PM, October 27th, 1921

    It's your second to last day before the break, and you cannot help but feel anxious. In addition, though, what could the Society have in store for you at the next meeting?

    Arkham, 3:05 PM, October 28th, 1921

    Your final paper is done. Now you have a full week off for yourself. Some of it will, of course, be spent trying to gather resources for your next article, but overall it seems like you'll have a calm relaxing 9-day break. You've been working hard, and while the investigation into the Kimballs was... interesting, it also was rather stressful and intense. Would you really want something like that yet again? These are the thoughts buzzing through your head as you happen to notice someone else... someone whom you haven't seen before, walking towards room U35.
    ----

    I have absolutely no idea who this could possibly be! I hope that the one-month time skip made sense and was a least a little bit interesting to RP through.


    As the actress and the rabbi-turned-journalist reach towards the door there's something, a jolt of sorts in the back of your minds. Something is not right here, and yet, you feel as if you know this person, while at the same time you swear that you've never seen their face before. Eventually, the two of you sort out the door issue and enter the room. "Deirdre, Izzy, great to see that you both have made it!" Professor Jones boldly proclaims as you enter the area. As the professor finishes his declaration, the sudden realization flashes before your eyes. Of course! Yitzhak Laskov, the investigative journalist for the Gazette, and Deirdre McCoy, the star of the newest performance of The Haunting of Agatha Mae how could you forget? And yet, something is... off.

    You take your seats, the weird feeling in the back of your head does make you wonder about how you forgot about each other, but you shake it off, you both started coming here around the same time, it was just a minor slip in your cognition. As you sit down, Professor Avebury enters clutching a rather large sheaf of papers. "Well this is truly fascinating!" He immediately proclaims as he places the sheaf down upon a table. "The tome was interesting of course, and has been added to Orne, but nevertheless I was able to take some notes." Everyone looks incredibly intrigued by this fact.
    "It seems that the book is actually a journal of sorts, but written by an Egyptian scribe, bound in Rome, and subsequently partially translated into both Latin and the vulagte. It spells some truly interesting details, especially concerning trade amongst the Roman and Egyptian empires. The owner was frightened, of course finding a book such as this one inside of her attic, but there was nothing to be afraid of." He smiles as his piece is done.

    There's a short round of applause for the Professor's findings.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-21 at 03:48 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Deirdre begins clapping along with everyone else. She beams, "Why Professor Avebury, that was amazing! We knew that you were the right one for the job!"
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

    Nexus character: Solstice

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Spoiler: Izzy
    Show
    Ah yes, the beautiful Miss McCoy.

    Izzy, not used to being around women with such beauty and... star power?...assumes his brain by default placed her in the category of a fictional character. Minds can be weird sometimes. He hopes it'll get used to her soon, though, to avoid more embarrassments like that door-handle thing...


    Izzy claps as well.

    "Great find, professor. Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean when you say it was 'added to Orne'?"

    After he answers, Izzy follows up, "Any idea how a book such as this ended up in an attic in Danver?"

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Professor Avebury smiles gentlemanly, thanking Deirdre and Yitzhak after their respective complements. "Ahhh... Orne, the library here at Miskatonic, rivaling that of Harvard, Yale, and Oxford. I'm surprised you have yet to delve into its stacks Mister Laskov. Nevertheless, it seems that it was part of some sort of family inheritance I presume? Indeed, yet I cannot help but wish there was a bit more to this than what there truly was, but alas, one cannot change such things."
    Lois looks around realizes that she's starting to be bit out of place. "Hey, jus' wanted to mention 'ere, this ain't a history club, we've got places for ya', but between the archeology, classics and language, plus another history student. No 'fense 'course, but..." She nods towards Deirdre and Izzy a wink, "Seems they're gonna begin outnumberin' us."
    Everyone chuckles at this statement, as Professor Jones adds in, "Ah, well, I can't deny that, maybe us history folk just feel inclined towards explaining the unexplained." He nods towards the both of you, "I mean no slight of course to you both, anyone could be an investigator searching for answers in this little world of ours."
    Jessie plays miffed, holding a hand over her mouth in mock shock (heh) "Why, Lois, I most certainly did not expect such harsh words." The group erupts into laughter at Jessie's performance.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-21 at 05:42 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Ah Izzy.. a good man whom Deidre hadn't known too well or for that long. But still, his being a former rabbi and a journalist was interesting. For the time being, she could not remember any major disagreements or unpleasantries they had between each other. Not even over religion. Though admittedly, they hadn't discussed it in detail yet. In any case, what she couldn't believe was how she had forgotten about him...

    Deirdre chuckles along with Lois's joke and reassures her: "Now Lois, don't fret.. I hardly doubt you have anything to worry about a bunch of people who dig up fossils and read yesterday's news."

    She grins at Nevada and Jesse mischievously.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-21 at 08:46 PM.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

    Nexus character: Solstice

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    The group all gives a warm smile towards Deirdre's comment. Professor Avebury even joins in on the fun, "I would have you know, Miss McCoy, that knowledge of dead languages is also just as invaluable of a skill."
    He also adds in a quick "Lingua romae est omnis," accompanying the phrase with a wink.
    Last edited by zingbobco000; 2019-10-21 at 08:54 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Deirdre feigns a smug, disinterested yawn. "Dead languages? Oh please, professor. I don't think the inhabitants of graveyards are very talkative..."

    She smiled once again but hardly laughed as much as she thought she would....
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

    Nexus character: Solstice

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    Izzy forces a laugh. Was Deirdre here for my briefing on the uncle? He couldn’t remember.

    “Well, is there any more business to cover?” Izzy’s mind started to wander toward the library; wondering how late it was open.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    The whole group laughs even more at Deirdre's statement, but Professor Jones then holds up a hand to quiet everyone. He then nods to Izzy as he answers said question. "Everybody, listen up. I have important news! We've actually been hired by outsiders, no more simple contact expeditions for our group, eh?" He gives a beaming smile. "A landlord, named Mr. Steven Knott, has recently purchased a new home down in Boston. However, he got the house on the cheap, only to realize that he's been unable to sell it or rent it out, you see..." He pauses for dramatic effect, "Rumor has it the house is haunted!"
    Everyone gives a slight gasp, even professor Avebury makes a quiet "Oh my indeed..."
    The professor holds up his hands, "Now, Mr. Knott thinks that this is all just some hogwash after the previous tenants were involved in a tragedy, vagrants and whatnot putting a bad name, but nonetheless he wants the house's name cleared, so he's put us up to the task! Now, my hope is that we can gather a group of us, head down for a while, maybe during the week-long semester break, and see what turns up."
    Immediately the two students buzz excitedly at the prospect of investigating an actual haunted house ("Can ya' imagine investigatin' a haunted house?" and "My lord, what a find professor, I can't help but wonder what secrets lie in that house."). Meanwhile, Professor Avebury, while not as eager as the other two does look somewhat surprised, after all, he just joined this club a couple of weeks ago and they're already having yet another excursion? Wow.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    WindStruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    "H-haunted..?" Deidre gasps. She would have never believed it, but after the things she had experienced... could it be that ghosts existed too?

    After the group calms down (somewhat), she adds, "How are we supposed to prove a ghost isn't there? That's about as foolhardy as trying to prove God doesn't exist. Supposing there is one but it's just shy..?"

    She blinks a bit and comes to the revelation. "Wait. But what if there is one there??"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-21 at 11:34 PM.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

    Nexus character: Solstice

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2016

    Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

    In his prior life as a man of god, Izzy was no stranger to tales (and rumors) of spirits and hauntings. But not a single one had rung true to his skeptical side. They always seemed to end up just being a metaphor for something.

    But if Dr. Jones thinks it's a possibility? Who knows? He mentally shrugged. Plus, could there possibly be a more interesting group to investigate it with? Izzy doubted it.

    "I've never been to Boston! I've been meaning to visit ever since I read about the Charles River Embankment they built. I hear it's beautiful. Oh and then there was that horrible molasses massacre..." Izzy trails off as his expression turns slightly less cheerful.

    "Well I suppose, if anyplace is ripe for a haunting," he adds with a nervous chuckle.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-22 at 12:26 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •