Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Boston, 5:58 PM, October 31st, 1921

You remain at the Hall of Records. It's just a whim, but maybe there's something here. You search for several hours until eventually Miss Jenkins comes by, "We're closing up soon, sir, jus' wanted ta' letcha know." Dissapointed, you're about to head back to the hotel when you notice something. You were searching through files that are related to current times, developments that might be ongoing or reliant on the purchase of 20 Sheafe St.. However, something catches your eye. It's a simple piece of paper, dated 1866, that reads: "Requested Expansion for 20 Sheafe St., North End, Declined"
    Strange... you question Miss Jenkins about where such a document would be located. "Oh, well, if it was a denied document, in order ta' make space tha' city began the process of shreddin' files older n' twenty years ago ta' save space. We didn't wanna build a new wing to cover all tha denied info that made it's way through tha' walls."

With most of your exploration done for the day you gather up your things and head back to the Parker House hotel and await Lois and Deirdre to go over what he's uncovered during dinner.

Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    There is something obviously connected in Lois' reaction between when you mention "Knife fights," "Holding your own," and "Dad."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

After a crisp stroll across the street, Deirdre asks to use the phone there for a long distance call. Eep, she didn't have THAT much money on her. Better make it short.

After reaching the operator, she gives Dr. Jones's number and waits, hoping he will answer.

Deirdre also makes a mental note that she should more than likely never, ever, bring up Lois's dad again.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    And yes, I just like throwing random guesses out there. I think it's fun, but, I don't really expect answers from you.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-24 at 07:42 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Give me a Luck roll, please.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Made a small edit to my last IC post.

and luck: (1d100)[67]

If Jones doesn't pick up, Deirdre will ask what time the operator goes home, and attempt to call again later in the evening, some time before phones are out of service.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    There's no response for a while, but eventually you hear a voice on the other end, quickly presuming it to be Nevada Jones you greet him but an unknown voice responds. "Sorry, ma'am, but this is Fanny, the history department secretary. I'm afraid Doctor Jones has back to back classes and won't be available for a while. Could I possibly take a message?"

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    A bit disappointed at first, Deirdre nevertheless perseveres and says, "Um, hi. I'm Deirdre McCoy, part of the little club Professor Jones presides over. The Society. He should know what I'm talking about. Anyway, yes, could you leave this message for us? We are trying to get into contact with Mr. Knott. Just, if he could give us a phone number to reach him, or an address, that would be great. We're at the Parker House Hotel in Boston, and he can just leave a message for us with that information too, if he misses us. Got it?"

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Boston, 2:37 PM, October 31st, 1921

You get a simple statement of confirmation. When you subsequently get off the phone Lois looks at you expectantly, it seems she gathered the general idea of the conversation based on what she could hear from you. "So, then wha' do we do now?"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Deirdre thinks for a minute. "He said he'd meet us here, didn't he? But.. now that I'm thinking about it, we're already done with the phone call, and who knows how long it'll take to find what he's looking for. Maybe we should just go back and try to help out again?"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Lois nods, "Might as well." You quickly return back to the Hall of Records and help Izzy with his work.
    ----

Feel free to give me a Library Use roll with a Bonus Die. I also rolled the bonus die for Lois' help with Izzy and got a 6.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

*blows dice for good luck*

library use: (1d100)[80]

bonus: (1d10)[10]

---

Wow, so my 1s place is 0, rolling a 10 on bonus die is like 0 x 10. So is that another critical success?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-24 at 08:39 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Apparently the exact opposite is achieved, as that might've been an 100 (luckily it's just an 80)... Feel free to read the last spoiler I gave to Zene, but just imagine that you're also there helping.
    ----

As the three of you head into the Parker House hotel and its dining area, you find a nice little table in the corner. "So, whadda ya' all think so far? Think we got somethin' 'ere?" A waiter brings you a menu for the hotel's slightly overpriced, but still nice, modern cuisine.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre shrugs and says, "I dunno if the city hall was such a great idea... can't say we shed any light on any haunting, or what may be going on with Mr. Knott and his property..."

She casually looks at the menu, all the items. She couldn't decide what she wanted.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

I’m unclear if anyone was there for my 1880s expansion discovery. If not, I share that. (Under my last spoiler).

“So it seems like your instinct was right about construction ... though it was a while back. The library could have some info on why.”

After Deirdre’s statement, “Well, it may not have turned up much—but the floor plans are nice to have. And crossing off leads is still *some* kind of progress, yes?” Izzy smiles.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre smiles softly and says, "Well that's true."

"Hmm. I wonder how good the clam chowder is here..."

After briefly being sidetracked by the menu, she resumes talk of the investigation. "I hope Professor Jones can get in touch with us by tomorrow... where do you think we should try next? Searching for news articles on whatever happened there?"

15. - Top - End - #105

DruidGirl

”As well as on Mr. Weber’s death. And life? Regardless, I think heading to the globe tomorrow morning is a good plan.”

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois nods with what you're both saying, ordering a Waldorf salad. "Sounds like a plan! Also checkin' out the Library since I don' think any of us visited it yesterday... I also don' know if, uh, there's anythin' else in the record hall, but this seems to be a good start!" She smiles broadly at her conclusion. Lois then finishes her dinner and looks out the window. "Well... I think I'd be best headin' out for a bit of a run, night ya' two!" Lois then strides off to get changed into something more athletic than what she's already wearing.
    ----

You may continue to converse concerning what your plans are tomorrow otherwise, this is a decent stopping point for the first day of investigations. Which is also a good point to mark down notes. Also, let me know when you head to sleep, that way I'm not waiting for a post you might not think should be made.

17. - Top - End - #107

DruidGirl

A nighttime run? In October?

Izzy looks over at Deirdre and raises an eyebrow.

He’ll have a nightcap, then head to his room to try to brainstorm some future story pitches. And then try hitting the hay at a reasonable hour.

(Not sure if Zing was asking when our characters were turning in, or when we irl are turning in. But now’s good for both )
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-25 at 01:11 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

"Sounds good!" Deirdre says.

Don't get mugged out there... she thinks with some amusement.

With dinner eaten and the others heading their separate ways, Deirdre heads back to her own room to relax. Maybe check out some of the hotel's amenities? Wonder if they have a pool, or a spa, or massages?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If people in New York can walk around in a T-shirt and shorts in January, Lois can go for a run in October
    ----

The hotel serves Izzy some hot tea (1920s) while Deirdre looks around the hotel looking for nything related to relaxation, however she doesn't turn much up except for a small club (place of the "Saturday Club") and a donut shop that is apparently home of the "Boston Cream Pie." Eventually, it's time for the both of you to head off to bed.

Boston, 9:28 AM, November 1st, 1921

You both awake to a wondrous breakfast of pancakes that you purchase from the Parker House (European Style meals). A new day dawns and you're both eager to continue your investigations with a variety of new leads ahead of you. Lois is also ready to head out, adorning similar, but different, athletic attire as to yesterday. "Ya' both ready for today, wadda ya' think we should look into next? The Globe? Research at the library? N' should we stay tagether like yesterday?" Meanwhile a message arrives for Deirdre from Professor Jones containing the contact information for Mr. Knott.
    ----

I hope that the both of you have been taking notes on the note documents! Also make sure that you eventually come up with an action, because while discussion is great, I can only respond to actions.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre smiles and says, "Professor Jones left us Mr. Knott's information. Let me call him first. I might just be going off on my own to speak to him, but I reckon you two should stay together, maybe hit the library."

Like yesterday, Deirdre asks to use the phone at the hotel again. This time hopefully not a long distance call, she attempts to call Mr. Knotts.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    I’m going to need another Luck roll...

Show
    Lois nods after Deirdre heads off, “So Izzy, to tha’ library? Or did ya’ wanna check out The Globe?

22. - Top - End - #112

DruidGirl

"Let's head to the Globe first. Lois, I could use your help if Deirdre doesn't need you for the conversations. Deirdre, we'll head back here before we hit up the library, and leave a message if you're not here. Also, let's plan on meeting back here at sundown again, if we don't cross paths before that?"

However Deirdre and Lois respond, Izzy nods and heads out to Cambridge.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov (& Maybe Deirdre McCoy, but That's Dependent on Wind's Actions/Rolls)
    Show
    Boston, 9:34 AM, Tuesday, November 1st, 1921

You head off along with Lois to The Boston Globe, it's a little bit more of a walk when compared to the Hall of Records (by a minute), but it is nevertheless still incredibly closeby. The building sits amongst several other newspapers (Boston Advertiser as an example), but is much taller than any other building in the area. You head into the building and are immediately bombarded by the sound of typewriters. Rows upon rows of typists sit, clacking away on their keys to other transcripts. Meanwhile, pneumatic tubes send rolled up missives across the different floors of the building. Lois marvels at these things especially.
    You're quite confident that this is a tightly-run ship, efficiency is key here, and they must print several issues every day (as per the norm of most large newspapers at the time). Meanwhile, you and Lois stand in the mess of all this, with her looking enthralled by the general structure of the building and the efficiency of the workforce.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Luck: (1d100)[15]

25. - Top - End - #115

DruidGirl

Spoiler: Izzy
    Show

Wow, a real operation!

Izzy marvels for a minute, then realizes he’s gawking and tries to stop. He looks around for an archive area, reception desk, secretary, or anyone that just doesn’t look insanely busy.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-25 at 05:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    A voice from the other end picks up, "Hello, Knott Housing, how may I help you?" It sounds relatively pleasant. You quickly mention that you'd like to talk to Mr. Knott (in order to save posts) and the voice responds "I think I should be able to arrange a meeting for you. How does half-past ten sound?"

Show
    You quickly head over to a receptionist. A woman with a done-up bun looks back at you, and smiles "Hello, how may I help you?" You see that she has a decently-sized pile of work on her desk, but she's more than willing to help out with what you need (albeit hopefully brief).

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "That sounds wonderful," Deirdre responds, the smile on her face pouring through the phone. "Where could I meet him?"

28. - Top - End - #118

DruidGirl

Spoiler: Izzy
    Show
    ”Hello! Izzy Laskov, of the Arkham Gazette. I was hoping you’d allow me to take a look at your archives? I’m doing some historical research on a particular neighborhood in the North End.”
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-25 at 09:47 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    The line picks up once more with a simple, but practiced reply of "Knott Housing can be found at 281 Franklin St. we'll see you shortly." Then it goes quiet.

Show
    Spoiler: Successful Psychology Roll
    Show
    You notice a slight tick - a grimace, almost like the receptionist is... disgusted? Fearful? Sad? You can't quite place it exactly.
    Spoiler: Hard Success
    Show
    Whatever it is, it seems clear that she is not a fan of the subject of her next sentence.

She nods, "You'll wanna speak with Arty Wimot, editor in charge of tha' archives, 'is offices are on the above floor n' take left after the stairs. Ya' shouldn't miss 'im."
    Lois thanks the receptionist for her time and gestures towards the flight of stairs upwards. "Well, looks like we're gettin' somewhere, eh?" She says with a smile.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

The phone call was pretty brief, so Deirdre informs the others that she had some luck in reaching somebody, and she'd need to be at Knott Housing, 281 Franklin Street in.. a bit less than an hour.

She agrees with what Izzy and Lois are doing, and will check for messages or even leave some herself.

Now, how far away is this 281 Franklin Street...