New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

Spoiler: Izzy
    Show
    Izzy keeps searching: for Webber and house info —was anything there before Webber built it?; Corbett, and the other names.

Library use: (d100)[32]
    Bonus if Lois is still helping: (d10)[5]

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Deirdre
    Show
    She could wait for up to two hours? I figure she could have some lunch there too, while she's waiting.

Were any messages left for her, or was the one she originally left them still not received? In that case, we can scrap that old message and leave them a new one. 'Eating lunch here. Meet me!'

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    I'll allow that extra term only because you rolled a Hard Success.
    ----

Boston, 2:51 PM, Tuesday, November 1st

You find no more information about Mr. Webber, or the property prior to what you’ve gathered. Either the library just doesn't have it, or you'd need to spend more time searching. Corbitt, however, you turn up more information on.

Noticing that you're taking more time with this specific document Lois looks over your shoulder. "Well, sounds like this Corbitt fella didn't turn out as much of a 'fine addition' as these neighbors thought, huh?"
    ----

Again, you may continue searching here, listing a term or two that you'd like to check out (along with a subsequent Library Use roll). Or you can do something else.

Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Boston, 2:00 PM, Tuesday, November 1st, 1921

2 hours comes and goes; no messages came in, and no messages were received either. It seems that both Izzy and Lois have been out and haven't returned to the hotel (or if they have, they didn't check if they've received any messages). The food is nice though!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Deirdre waited a bit, and had some lunch and waited some more, growing more antsy, impatient, and anxious by each minute. Given how even Francis said Mr. Dooley was unsavory, it kind of made her wonder, and she was thinking about what Lois had said and wanted to wait for the others.

But with absolutely no heads nor tails of anything from them, she decided she wasn't just going to sit on her butt all day. She'd go to Sheafe Street alone and try to find this Mr. Dooley herself. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? It was all newish office buildings there anyway...

She changes her message for the others again to: 'I went to Sheafe Street to check out what a local vendor named Mr. Dooley knows about the house. See you after dinner, I guess!'

Then without wasting another second, she heads on over there.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Boston, 2:23 PM, Tuesday, November 1st, 1921

After a short walk you eventually return to the original site of the house at 20 Sheafe St., from there, Mr. Dooley apparently has a store nearby so you begin asking around. Several office workers look surprised at your beauty, but you can't help but feel that you're financially out of place in this area (with the exception of the house in question of course).
    Eventually one worker in particular, beguiled by your appearance, points out a small stand with several newspapers, thanking him, it doesn't take too long to see the vendor himself, and elderly man with wisps of gray hair, unshaven, and a beer belly about him. You see that most of what he sells consist of raunchy tabloids and cheap cigars, which for some reason or another the office workers must pick up if he's still in business. He doesn't fully look at you from behind his paper, but he clearly notices your presence as he gruffly spits out "Ya' just gonna stand there gawkin'? Wadda' ya' want?"
    ----

Please give me an Appearance or Credit Rating roll (who knows which it could possibly be)?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    The man's gruff attitude doesn't deter Deirdre in the slightest. She wasn't oblivious to the fact that her looks could work for her. And she knew he wasn't even really paying attention to her at all, right now...

She cheerfully opened with, "Hii~. You're Mr. Dooley, aren't you?"

Appearance: (1d100)[83] (lightning can't strike twice!)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    It might not have, but that was close.
    ----

The man puts down his newspaper and looks up at you, somewhat shocked by your presence at his stand, he looks around for a moment, almost like he's expecting something to jump out at him for some reason. "Er... yeah, yeah, I'm Mr. Dooley, tha's me. Ya' wanna buy a paper, ma'am?" He holds out a copy of The Boston American, and simply by the declaration on the front cover "Harding New Extramarital Affair? More Scandal in the White House?"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Deirdre smiles and shakes her head. "Sorry, no, not interested in a paper. I'm here because a reliable source told me you know everything about that haunted house over there.." she points over in the direction where the place at 20 Sheafe St. was.

"Could you tell me what you know? I'd gladly cover the cost of a paper, or a few."

9. - Top - End - #189

DruidGirl

Show
    ”Hah, I suppose not!” Izzy responds. “..why so serious?” he mutters, as he reads it over again.

“I wonder if there are legal records here... Let’s see if we can find anything else on Mr Corbitt, or this odd court case.”

10. - Top - End - #190

DruidGirl

Show
    Library Use: [roll0]
    Bonus: [roll1]

11. - Top - End - #191

DruidGirl

Show
    Library use: (d100)[69]
    Bonus: (d10)[5]

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    The man smiles as you offer to purchase a paper, showing you a row of teeth that probably could use some brushing. “Yeah, I knows about tha' Corbitt House.
    His eyes flicker from side to side, as if checking that no one else is watching. “Folk moved in n' out a' that place right fast, but the last, were tha' Marcarios. Moved in a few years back. Nice people, ‘though their pesky kids always poking their noses where they weren’t wanted. ‘bout a year later old Mr. Macario up and went all crazy, shoutin' and rantin'! Whole neighborhood'd hear him hollerin' and smashin' up the house. Kept screamin' about burnin' eyes staring out at him. Complete screwball if you asks me.” Dooley stops suddenly stops talking and stares off into the distance…
    However his hands do move, handing out couple of papers as you exchange a few more cents. He then turns back to you, his face a now wicked grin adorned by one telling a sort of ghost story. You can smell the liquor on his breath, however. "Well, if I recollect rightly, soon after, Mrs. Macario also went doolally. They are both locked up now in the mad house at Roxbury or Danvers. Don’t reckon I remember what became of the kids, but I think there was somethin' 'bout an aunt down 'n Baltimore..."

Spoiler: Successful Combined History Roll and Hard Know (Education) Roll Where Only One Must Succeed
    Show
    You know that "Roxbury" and "Danvers" most likely refer to Roxbury Sanitarium and Danvers State Hospital (or "The State Lunatic Hospital" as it's sometimes called) respectively. Roxbury Sanitarium is known as the far gentler one, but that's not saying very much. Danver State Hospital has had a rather poor history, although you recall reading that it was improving in that as of late.

His story finished, he then tips his hat to you, "Thanks fer yer genorosity, ya' choice bit of calico." (Read: a desireable or attractive woman).

Show
    Boston, 3:58 PM, Tuesday, November 1st, 1921

You feel that there has to be something there, but after around an hour or so of searching you turn up nothing. You've already made it through ten more years (1862) and there's nothing that shows the outcome of the will, nor does Sheafe St. pop up. Thus, you instead focus on some of the victims mentioned in the news article. These are quite easy to find, after all the much of the information and years were provided to you. Sadly because of this, much of the information within the obituary you have gathered already from the notes themselves (almost like someone researched the obituaries of the people while constructing the notes).

Spoiler: Successful Spot Hidden Roll
    Show
    However, one note in the obituary about the suicide of Richard Jones catches your eye. Apparently the other family members heard a scream that was suddenly cut short.

Spoiler: Successful Idea (Intelligence) Roll
    Show
    If the death was a suicide, why would there be a scream be cut short? Maybe he was screaming while bleeding out? Alternatively, the family might have interpreted some sort of feeble expiration as a scream. However, you cannot help but think that it's possible the child was... murdered. Might you be facing a serial killer? But then what happened with the illnesses? This is all quite strange (if it wasn't already)...

At this point, Lois looks at her watch, "Hey, Izzy, if we're gonna make it back before sunset, we'd better head out, light's fadin' fast!" She begins to hurry out the doors of the library and in the direction of the Parker House Hotel, gesturing for you to follow.

13. - Top - End - #193

DruidGirl

Show
    spot hidden roll: (d100)[23]

14. - Top - End - #194

DruidGirl

Show
    Idea roll: (d100)[71]

Izzy hurries after Lois. The only thing worse than walking home after sunset in a strange city, would be walking home after sunset in a strange city without Switchblade McGoo.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-28 at 01:17 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Deirdre nods along to the man's tale. "Uh, huh.." She didn't recall anything notable about Baltimore, Danvers, or Roxbury. Regardless, it was quite strange and frightening. Was it really that the place was haunted? Or.. was something else wrong with the building, that drove people mad?

"Well, that sounds quite disturbing. I don't know if it would be safe to set foot in that building, honestly..." She looked at Mr. Dooley with some concern and slightly changed the subject. "Say, you called it the Corbitt House... I take it a family by the name of Corbitts lived there at some point? Did something happen to them too?"

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Zing now waits for WindStruck to catch up in terms of time (turns out reading is a great way to pass the time).

Show
    Mr. Dooley nods, and spits on the ground. "When I was I boy, I asks my father why he called it that, I did. N' he says that when he was a boy, rottenest man alive lived there: Walter Corbitt. By the time I was a young'un, 'e was long gone, but tha' name stuck."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Deirdre nods. That definitely seemed like a name to remember. A name to research. She smiles and thanks the man again before wandering back to the hotel.

She wasn't sure what she should do at the point. Lois had the keys to the house, and it was probably a bad idea to be in there by herself anyway. It seemed like she may have found a new avenue of research as well, but... she felt kind of helpless trying to do research all on her own again.

Just wondering if, by the time Deirdre gets back now, if there's any word from the others. If not, she won't bother asking to change the messages (again) and just head across the street to the city hall. Maybe she could dig up something on Walter Corbitt.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Boston, 2:52 PM, Tuesday, November 1st

Deirdre heads back to the hotel and (surprise), finds no response from neither Izzy nor Lois. Thus, you endeavor to head to City Hall to find information about this "Walter Corbitt." Miss Jenkins waves as you enter, happy to see you again as you were most kind to her yesterday. "Hello ma'am! How can I help ya'?" (Presumably you mention you're looking into Walter Corbitt) She nods and once more gestures to Column B for personal files.
    ----

Please give me a Library Use roll, while also letting me know how long you'd like to spend here. I believe sundown is at around 4:30 or so in Boston on November 1st, 1921.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    (Hmm, I didn't quite think we were in winter. It's actually autumn.)

Library use: (1d100)[36]

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Show
    (Hmm, I didn't quite think we were in winter. It's actually autumn.)

Library use: [roll0]
    Show
    You are right, however sundown is still at 4:30ish. Therefore the question still stands: How long would you like to search the Hall of Records for?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Till they close, I guess?

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Boston, 5:58 PM, Tuesday, November 1st, 1921

You search for several hours until eventually Miss Jenkins comes by, "We're closing up soon, miss, jus' wanted ta' letcha know." Dissapointed, you figure it's time to head back. You put away what meager information on Walter Corbitt, Esq. you were able to gather. Apparently the man was born January 14, 1789 and died June 20, 1866. You don't gather too much content concerning his lawyerly profession other than the fact that he seemed to run his own business as an Attorney at Law. However, there might be more information, but the Hall is closing. Maybe you could come back tomorrow?

Show
    Boston, 4:29 PM, Tuesday, November 1st, 1921

You and Lois enter the Parker House Hotel just as the sun is setting over the busy city. Quickly, the concierge calls you over. "Miss Russo and Mr. Laskov? Miss McCoy asked for me to inform you that..." He takes out a small strip of paper, "'I went to Sheafe Street to check out what a local vendor named Mr. Dooley knows about the house. See you after dinner, I guess!' Yes, that's what she wrote. She's been out for a couple of hours after that and hasn't returned. She also left several previous messages as well. Although she asked that such things be changed, should I read them to you?" He looks at you inquiringly.

23. - Top - End - #203

DruidGirl

Show
    "Oh, if you don't mind, yes I'd like to hear them."

"Lois, do you think it's best for us to wait here? I'd hate for Deirdre to be alone out there in the evening; but then again, I don't want us to go aimlessly wandering around Sheafe street and missing her."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Deirdre sighs, more from relief than disappointment. It was a bit boring, even stressful leafing through a bunch of old papers by herself. She smiles and thanks Leslie, then heads back to the hotel to hopefully meet the others today... After a cursory look around for them, she has some dinner. With or without them.

((Guess I ought to wait here and see if they catch up!))

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    The concierge goes over his notes. “Hmmm... here we go. There was one at around 11 where she said this: 'Checking out Ghost Tours of Boston at 146 Tremont St. They may have a horse in the race. They don't do tours on Tuesday though.' There was another at around 12 where she noted that she was 'Eating lunch here. Meet me!' That is it, I’m afraid.
    Lois looks concerned, “N’ she hasn’t been back ‘ere... hmmm...” She looks towards you, “Maybe some time waiting won’t ‘urt?

Show
    Indeed, hopefully it won’t be too long!

26. - Top - End - #206

DruidGirl

Show
    "Yes I think that's best. Shall we have some dinner? Or are you heading out for a run? If so, I can wait here for Deirdre."

27. - Top - End - #207

DruidGirl

Show
    History roll for "surious": (d100)[75]

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    Lois nods, that sounds agreeable enough to her, and she’ll probably run later tonight. You both head into the hotel restaurant for a nice dinner, without the third member of your party.
    ——

Please give me what is called a Group Luck roll, which means the person with the lowest Luck (Yitzhak) must give me a Luck Roll.

29. - Top - End - #209

DruidGirl

Lowest group member Luck roll: (d100)[55]

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois looks down at her watch, "Why'sa food takin' so long?" Indeed, it seems that the restaurant is quite busy and as a result, many of the orders have become backed up. But nevertheless, Yitzak and Lois wait patiently for Deirdre to return. By the time that they actually get their meals, it's nearly 5:40. This aspect is fortuitous, however, as just when they're finishing up, Miss McCoy herself enters. The concierge greets you with a simple, statement of. "Your message was received Miss McCoy, and I believe the recipients are dining with us here at the hotel."

Boston, 6:02 PM, Tuesday, November 1st, 1921

Rushing off to reconvene (and for Deirdre to have dinner), the three of your gather together. "Oh boy, wadda day!" Lois cries, eagerly taking a sip of soda and looking towards Yitzhak knowingly. "N' Deirdre we were worried we were, yer lucky the food took so long, else we'd be halfway to Sheafe St. lookin' all over tha' place!" Nevertheless, she recovers herself, "But it seems like ya' in good 'nough shape. So... what'd ya' learn?" She then nods towards Yitzhak who's been taking notes throughout their day. "N' we might 's well let 'er know what we've found, eh, Izzy?"