New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: WindStruck and Zene's The Haunting IC

Izzy is relieved to see Deirdre in one piece.
    ”Seems like we’ve all had an eventful day! Glad to see you’re ok, Deirdre.”

“Lois and I went to the Globe offices, and found an interesting article. Also, we’re probably not welcomed back.”

“From there, we went to the library, and pulled up what we could on the names and house history. From their old records. Found a little more context, but not a lot.”

Izzy pulls out his notes, and reviews the highlights. (See my notes file.)
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-28 at 04:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Deirdre would also be allowed to make a Combined Hard Know and History roll where only one must succeed regarding "surious."
    Zing is also mildly dissapointed that we're not doing a full speech-based recap

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre says, "Well, it appears that our client's motives aren't in question. No one wants to buy the place, even to build on top of it. Well, except one party. Apparently Mr. Knott foolishly bought the property thinking he could make a quick sale. He took out a loan too and is really struggling just to pay that off. I don't think his business is doing too well..." She looks a bit saddened by this.

"The only person who does want the property runs a company called Haunted Tours of Boston. So that makes sense too. Only he hopes to scoop the place up for free, or practically nothing. In any case, the man was kind enough to point me in the direction of another contact. A local vendor on Sheafe Street named Mr. Dooley... He.. sells papers, tabloids, and cigars, pretty much..."

"Apparently, people have moved in that place before and wound up moving out quickly. And the last family that was there, the Marcarios, went completely bonkers. He says the whole neighborhood heard Mr. Marcario screaming and raving about.. burning eyes staring at him.. and he smashed up the house too, supposedly. His wife soon went just the same, and the kids.. well.. I have no idea about the kids, but I can only imagine..."

-

She looks at the others and asks, "Did you all happen to learn anything about that incident? Or other rumors floating around from previous families?"

-

At some point Deirdre also resumes her findings: "I also found another potential lead you two could research. Many many years ago, probably right after Mr. Webber died, a man took ownership of the house named Walter Corbitt. I couldn't find much about him in the city hall, aside that he was a laywer, and he lived from 1789 to 1866. Um. I think I've got the exact dates written down here..." she says, fumbling with some hastily-written notes in her bag. "I'm pretty sure this guy has something to do with the hauntings. If indeed there are hauntings. According to Mr. Dooley, the man was, and I quote, 'the rottenest man alive'."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

For reference in case you missed it, the note files which Zene/Yitzhak is speaking of can be found here. Also, I don't want to do too much recap information as Lois, so I'll leave that mostly to the two of you. We'll say Lois decided to get some more food and is hungrily devouring it.

5. - Top - End - #215

DruidGirl

”Very interesting! We saw some information on him too. Apparently he was sued by his neighbors for his “demeanor”, among other things. But we weren’t able to find any court records for more details.”

“We also found an article that was never published, about the house and its history with occupants. It seems many (if not all) occupants had health problems and/or went mad, in most cases within a year of moving in. In some cases within a month! Several violent deaths, too.”

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre looks pretty worried by that news. "Oh.. that sounds.. that honestly sounds like the house is quite dangerous. Why was that article not published?"

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois eagerly eats a steak. Although in between bites she does chime in, corroborating Yitzhak's story. "Righto." or "Absolutely." However, her face then turns sterner when Deirdre finishes her query. "But no, this place seems real wicked. N' I don' know how far this rabbit 'ole goes." She then looks concerned. "Tho I think we should set up some sorta system, reconvenin' every now and then. How 'bout we meet 'ere at 1 fer lunch n' then 'round 5ish or so fer dinner tomorrow?" She nods, "Tha' way we can coordinate n' whatnot."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

"That sounds like a good idea," Deirdre says. "Although... I'm not sure what else I'd be doing by myself. Maybe I'd better stick with you two tomorrow. By the way.. um.. are we planning on going into that house?" She looked a bit worried, given what they had already uncovered.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-10-29 at 04:40 AM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois chuckles at Deirdre's query, "Weren'tcha tha' one who wanted ta' go not a day ago?" However she does then look concerned, "I don' know. On tha' one hand, part a' me wants ta' figure out 'xactly wat's causin' the these weird reports fer myself. But... maybe yer right? Feel terrible fer Mr. Knott, but at 'least tha' Haunted Tours guy'd treat it with respect, 'eh? I'd imagine ya' gotta have some respect fer tha' supernatural if ya' run a haunted tour." Her face then takes on one of... fear? Maybe? At least caution. "'Course, I don' wanna end up like any o' those poor souls, either."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre nods sheepishly and admits, "Erm.. yeah... b-but I'd never have thought it could have possibly been that bad. Maybe a few unlucky things happened and caused mere rumors and superstition, maybe a few odd coincidences..."

She shakes her head. "My gut tells me there definitely is something wrong with that place. Might not even be a ghost..." After shrugging she says, "In any case, the day before, I was only talking about taking a quick look on the inside. While we still had daylight. Not spending the night there. I feel like that would be a really bad idea..." she chuckles nervously.

11. - Top - End - #221

DruidGirl

To Dierdre's question about the article: "Well, it was very much a story along the lines of 'Something sinister haunts this house!' The editor's note on the side said the story was speculation, and beneath the Globe. But I believe the speculation was the haunting side, not the timeline and deaths side..."

Izzy broods for a bit, listening. He finally shakes himself out of it and rejoins the conversation.

"It seems like all the noted mishaps occurred over time; the shortest noted stay was the family that moved out in a month. So I'm guessing nothing too bad would occur on a short visit."

"I do think visiting during the day is a wiser choice."

"Since we still have time, I'm ok with doing a bit more research. The courthouse might have some records on Corbitt in general, or the time he was sued. I never did find obituaries for the various names, and some at least must be in the Globe archives somewhere. Another option that occurs to me....well, we could look up the family names Corbitt, Webber, and the occupants, and see if they have living relatives that might know more, or have diaries of the residents."

"But that could be a lot of legwork. And it's a bit of a longshot. Plus, I can't imagine what we would find that would actually help us understand how to prepare for a haunting..."

"So maybe our best bet is to visit the house, next?"
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-29 at 11:51 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois immediately looks shocked at the suggestion of staying the night, "Oh boy, no. You best bet I didn't mean tha'."

Spoiler: Successful Intelligence (Idea) Roll (Yitzhak Laskov)
    Show
    When you're thinking about testimonies from the residents, you realize something: These Marcarios that Deirdre mentioned? They weren't in the 1918 article. It's possible that this means they're more recent than any other of the hauntings, at least by two years. She also never said that they died... could they know more?

However, something also does come to Lois when Yitzhak is talking about research into Corbitt. "Ya' know, we never really continued searchin' fer him after 1862ish. Maybe there's more info on 'im in the library later on. 'Course the record hall might 'ave stuff too."

Spoiler: Successful Intelligence (Idea) Roll (Deirdre McCoy)
    Show
    When Yitzhak mentions gathering testimony from the occupants, you realize that Mr. Dooley mentioned that the Marcarios were at "Roxbury" or "Danvers." Whatever that means, it does mean one thing: They're still alive, could you maybe talk to them?
    Spoiler: Hard Success
    Show
    Something also clicks when they're talking about obituaries and the 1860's, Corbitt died in 1866 based on what you gathered of him, perhaps he has an obituary?

Lastly she shrugs at the last couple of questions. "If ya' wanna investigate be my guest, I jus' don' wanna go in blind, n' I feel tha' I need more answers now than before!" (Lois suffers from a common Call of Cthulhu flaw: Insatiable Curiosity)
    ----

Just to clarify, the reason for so many idea rolls is that I assume that you guys are all having a much larger discussion then this, so I'm bringing up points that might've occurred over the long stretch of discussion not shown here (just like how when someone makes a Persuade roll we're not having thirty actual minutes of debate as a PbP).

Also, it seems we all responded directly 40 minutes after eachother...

13. - Top - End - #223

DruidGirl

(Izzy idea roll: (d100)[100])
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-29 at 12:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Yitzhak Laskov
    Show
    Yitzhak suddenly gets an awful migraine. He really doesn't feel like discussing this anymore.

15. - Top - End - #225

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by zingbobco000 View Post
    "Ya' know, we never really continued searchin' fer him after 1862ish. Maybe there's more info on 'im in the library later on. 'Course the record hall might 'ave stuff too."
    "Oh, good point. Yes we should at least do tha--"

Izzy stops mid-sentence, and puts his hand to his forehead, face scrunching up in pain. Dammit, every week since that "Festival"...

"Ah--I'm getting a migraine. ...Happens occasionally... Sorry, I gotta go lay down. Should be better in... the morning..." He gets up awkwardly, and starts slowly walking toward his room; eyes squinting, one hand shading them from the lights he passes.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-29 at 12:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Show
    You retire to your room, it's probably best to just lay on this for now. Hopefully, the pain passes soon and you'll be able to have a restful sleep.
    ----

I'll make a group post in the morning whenever Deirdre finishes up.

Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    Lois nods at first, but that soon turns to worry as she sees her friend stumble up to his room. "Oof, gotta feel bad fer the guy, we've been readin' fer practically the whole day. Anyway, guess we'll be off n' the mornin' ta' check what we can 'bout this Corbitt, n' if we turn up nothin' head to the house to investigate in the afternoon?"

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Deirdre
    Show
    Deirdre nods. "Yeah... I can relate to that..." she says dryly.

Idea: (1d100)[4]

"That sounds good, Lois. I'll see you in the morning."

After her dinner, Deirdre took a little stroll outside, though it was really chilly outside now. Still she persevered a bit, trying to gaze at the stars despite the city lights and taking a gander at local businesses that closed for the evening before heading back. She retired to her room after this and soon fell asleep in a nice warm bed.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Deirdre McCoy
    Show
    As you head out, Lois does the same, ready for another run. It is quite cold though, maybe around mid-40's, but quite windy as well, making it feel chillier. Nevertheless, you walk around, noticing a chapel, a small café, and a flower shop. However, eventually you tire of such things, and head back to the hotel for a good night's rest.

Show
    Your migraine is luckily gone!
    ----

This is a great time to make sure that your notes are each up to date concerning the information that the other person learned.
    ----

Boston, 9:18 AM, Wednesday, November 2nd, 1921

You both awake to a wondrous breakfast of waffles. A new day dawns but now it seems that this mystery goes even deeper than expected. Lois is also ready to head out, now adorning more casual clothes, but nevertheless good for walking. "Ya' feelin' better Izzy? (insert response here) Ok, so wadda ya' think we should look into next? Research at the library? The hall? Don' think we'll have much luck at tha' Globe..."

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre asks, "So what exactly happened over there? You got into an argument or something? Got kicked out?"

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois looks at Yitzhak expectantly...

21. - Top - End - #231

DruidGirl

Izzy looks a little embarrassed.
    "A little of both. It wasn't the warmest welcome to begin with--the man in charge of their archives needed a little ...convincing. Lois did a great job of setting him straight, and we found that killed article. But then, as I was digging a bit more through their archives...well, they don't seem to have been stacked very solidly, as a bunch of boxes tumbled down when I went to move one. Kind of a chain-reaction thing."

"No one got hurt! But yeah we had to get out of there in a hurry. It might be best for Lois and me to avoid the place."

"Lois, I think you pointed out last night that we'd only gotten to the 1880s in the library research. We could certainly pick that up again --I'm really hoping obituaries will give us some other clues about their deaths. And I do think checking the hall for legal records on Corbitt and the others... Webber, LeDeux, Jones, Macario...and anyone else that listed that address as their residence would be helpful. That might give us the names of any other residents, and possibly Corbitt's case record as a lawyer or a defendant would have some good information."

"Beyond that, my instinct is any deeper searches --like looking up relatives-- are probably not worth the time they'll take."

"So I suppose my vote for today is, Library and Hall of Records. Either in sequence or tandem. If we split up, I feel like I've gotten to know the library here pretty well, so I'd lean toward taking that one."
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-29 at 05:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois chuckles as Yitzhak recounts the story. "Place's not gonna be clean for quite a while if ya' ask me."
    Lois nods along with what Yitzhak is saying (like the searching for relatives portion), and when he finishes she also adds on a bit. "I think Deirdre mentioned stayin' together, right?" She looks towards the actress for approval. "But yeah, although didn't we find most of tha' obituaries? I don' remember them havin' too much."
    ----

To clarify, you found the obituaries of the names from the journalist's notes, but they had minimal information (although I think you succeeded in a specific roll). I'm linking the specific post for more information here.
    Also, just let me know when y'all are ready to head out, and to where.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Deirdre says, "I hear the Marcarios may have been sent to an asylum. Do you think it would be a remotely good idea to try talking to them? Would have to take a train too... to Roxbury or Danvers. I'm not even sure where..."

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois shrugs, looking towards Yitzhak, "Ya' mentioned wantin' to speak with people, Iz, this might be a chance ta' get some personal accounts. Then again, if they're in the coo-coo bin, who knows what gibberish they'd spout."

Spoiler: Successful Combined History Roll and Hard Know (Education) Roll Where Only One Must Succeed (Yitzhak Laskov)
    Show
    You know that "Roxbury" and "Danvers" most likely refer to Roxbury Sanitarium and Danvers State Hospital (or "The State Lunatic Hospital" as it's sometimes called) respectively. Roxbury Sanitarium is known as the far gentler one, but that's not saying very much. Danver State Hospital has had a rather poor history, although you recall reading that it was improving in that as of late.

25. - Top - End - #235

DruidGirl

Combined roll: (d100)[21]

26. - Top - End - #236

DruidGirl

”Hmm, I do like that idea. First-person experience could be really helpful...”

“Roxbury and Danvers are both sanitariums I’ve heard of. Danvers doesn’t have a great reputation. But we could probably call to verify if they have a patient by that name. And figure out visiting hours. What do you think?”

If the others have no objections, Izzy goes to the front desk to ask how one would get to Danvers and Roxbury sanitariums, and whether he could place a call.
    Last edited by Zene; 2019-10-29 at 11:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Apparently trains from the South Station leave at 10 AM, 1 PM, and 6 PM and take around an hour to get to Danvers. Meanwhile, trains to Roxbury leave at 10 AM and 4 PM and take around 30 minutes to get to there. The concierge then asks for you to wait for a couple minutes as he gathers the numbers for the two businesses (albeit with a couple of strange looks).

Spoiler: Successful Group Luck Roll (Yitzhak Laskov)
    Show
    You're able to get into contact with both Roxbury Sanitarium and Danvers State Hospital. However, Danvers has no reports of a patient under the name: Marcario. Then again, the man on the line informs you, he'd have to fully check his records, as they hold a variety of patients there. However, with Roxbury Sanitarium, you have some better luck. Apparently they do in fact have a two patients labelled under Marcario, and that visiting hours can be arranged at least a day in advance from noon to 2-o'-clock for thirty minutes.

Spoiler: Hard Success
    Show
    Apparently though, they're not having any visitors scheduled so if you'd like, you could visit them today.

Spoiler: Extreme Success
    Show
    Apparently they're having literally no visitors at all for the rest of the week, so you can just come in at any time and see the two patients.

Spoiler: Failed Group Luck Roll (Yitzhak Laskov)
    Show
    You're only able to get into contact with Danvers State Hospital. However, Danvers has no reports of a patient under the name: Marcario. Then again, the man on the line informs you, he'd have to fully check his records, as they hold a variety of patients there. Roxbury Sanitarium apparently isn't taking any calls, maybe you could try again sometime later.

Meanwhile, while Yitzhak is on the phone, Lois comments to Deirdre (still within earshot of Yitzhak though). "Ya' know, if we're thinkin' of checking out tha' Marcarios? Should we do that as soon as possible? Or check out whateva' information we can here first n' then head over there. Wadda ya' think?"

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't know..." Deirdre says. She glances nervously at a clock. "I don't think we can make the ten o' clock train."

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lois nods, looking at a map. "We'd have ta' be quite lucky..."
    ----

You all are probably going to be talking + on the phone for around 10-15 minutes, plus it takes around 15 minutes to reach the station via walking, assuming no heavy foot traffic, and then five minutes to navigate through the train station. It's possible, you'd just have to be lucky with traffic and all.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

"Why don't we research today. And let Izzy try to gather information over the phone. Maybe we could be lucky enough to set up an appointment for tomorrow."