Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 621222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sea of Stars - OOC II

Hah, no, this is just fishman's personal tank. It's a nod to Dune, no more than that. It is too large to fit in one of your stasis cages, though.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #902
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Drat. Guess I need to share Echo's nutrition-goo, or whatever Navigators "eat" when they're hooked up to their equipment.

Might also want to rig the tank with explosives before we translate into the Warp again. I was planning to be cautious and have the prisoner Navis all frozen during Warp travel, to avoid the inevitable Chaos-fueled escape attempts. Hmm.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

Explosive Collar ~ now in Tank Form.

In the DH2 game Im in we have a Arbite who likes to slap a collar on key prisoners and it saved us when we bagged a witch masquerading as a Priestess.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Peril Planet

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

Do Navigators have those tanks normally? I always pictured them in something like Darth Vader's sphere. Don't remember if I've ever seen a description. Anyway, it seems very like the tank that Titan Princeps use so I'd be interested to see how it works.

On the ships, as long as we get at least one Cobra I have no preference. Leaving the prisoners behinds sounds potentially dangerous to me, but I don't have a better idea. I suppose if the Fury's guns are broken then there's little chance that the prisoners can take over the ship and fire on us when we come back. It might depend on what kind of pirates these people are (criminals or actual heretics) Anika will try to make some inquiries when I get an IC post written.

If we're going looking for more pirates I would suggest we do something sneaky or we just scout any pirate base and pass the information onto the Navy or anyone with more ships.

5. - Top - End - #905

MindFlayer

Interesting. I did not expect her to try to take the Sword. I'm not sure if she actually wants it, or if she's just using that as a bluff to try to get me to give her the reverse offer. She has to know she doesn't really have a leg to stand on here. Purely contractually, I could give her the Claymore and keep all the Cobras anyway. As a matter of practical power, she has crews in two damaged ships and a transport, versus our four mostly intact warships.

As for the pirate base, I think we need to strike now while the iron is hot. They may relocate if we try to come back later, and we need that station. I get that Charlabelle doesn't want to come, which makes sense. We could leave her with the Claymore, Fury, and a Cobra while we hit the base. It's not a bad idea to look like we're retreating from a fight, so that we can get in close and attack. For the Cobras (and Sword) I think we'll redistribute crew such that Absalom loyalists are in control of the main systems and comprise the only armed forces, to ensure loyalty. Plus, after the first volley, they probably have no way back. I imagine the other pirates would kill them for turning traitor.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    Do Navigators have those tanks normally? I always pictured them in something like Darth Vader's sphere. Don't remember if I've ever seen a description. Anyway, it seems very like the tank that Titan Princeps use so I'd be interested to see how it works.
    There's a few descriptions scattered around some of the novels and things, but it tends to vary by author. Sometimes it's a chair, sometimes it's a pool. This guy has a tank. I've always assumed there's not really a standard.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    Interesting. I did not expect her to try to take the Sword. I'm not sure if she actually wants it, or if she's just using that as a bluff to try to get me to give her the reverse offer. She has to know she doesn't really have a leg to stand on here. Purely contractually, I could give her the Claymore and keep all the Cobras anyway. As a matter of practical power, she has crews in two damaged ships and a transport, versus our four mostly intact warships.
    It is the better ship, of the two, if only by a little. Contractually though, you're right - she gets the Claymore, and everything else is negotiable.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    There's a few descriptions scattered around some of the novels and things, but it tends to vary by author. Sometimes it's a chair, sometimes it's a pool. This guy has a tank. I've always assumed there's not really a standard.
    I suppose I'm mostly curious about side effects from using it in that case. Especially from something belonging to this guy. As long as it's not unusual.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Ahem. How about we interrogate Baldridge and any other important captured pirates before deciding on if and how to attack his base? I mean we're literally sitting on the information mother lode when it comes to all the workings of his organisation. Armaments, condition, training, schedules, code phrases - Baldridge knows the lot. His Navigator might be persuaded to talk as well.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

Got a 2 on that Inquiry test. I was mostly looking to see if anyone wanted to talk to Anika at all. If that's not enough maybe I can roll Charm afterwards to ask about the base.

I don't think anyone has Interrogation if it matters.

10. - Top - End - #910

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    I don't think anyone has Interrogation if it matters.
    Yet!

I can have Echo try to Intimidate Baldridge if we want, though. I'm not sure what kinds of bonuses Macharius has, but I feel like his is probably comparable or better, so we'll see how he does first.

~ Sophistemon

11. - Top - End - #911

MindFlayer

Macharius is actually only ok at intimidate, since it's strength based and he has enemy (pirates). Power armor helps a lot though. As does the circumstances, presumably.

12. - Top - End - #912

Lizardfolk

Does Enemy apply to Intimidate? And I thought Macharius had the best Strength in the party. Somewhere in the 50s, as I recall.

Either way, if we aren't able to get some good information from Baldridge, we should have Ravia see what she can find from the cogitators on the Sword's bridge. Maybe we can at least get the coordinates of their base.

~ Sophistemon

13. - Top - End - #913

MindFlayer

Oh yeah, it's 60 in power armor, which may be the best now that Felidae is gone. I'm sure we can break one of these guys eventually, but that's a good plan as well. Lets us try to verify their info.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

Had some insomnia, so I wrote an update for a few things. I'm still happy to keep up with anyone who hadn't posted yet. This is all conversation, so not to worry, I'll fit responses in to anything you have for me. That said, some of these might take longer than others. Do you want to have a split thing going for conversations, even through combat, or do you want to finish the conversations before we kick off the next battle?

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

As long as we have a plan worked out first I'm ok to timesplit.

If it matters I'm fairly sure Macharius isn't in the room with Baldridge but that's up to Potato.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah, I'd quite like to see us eking out as much intel from Baldridge and his crew as possible before charging in. Since he seemed unimpressed by Macharius' grandstanding, perhaps some deceptive dealmaking could be an alternative?

17. - Top - End - #917

MindFlayer

Yeah Macharius isn't in the room with Anika- his speech was to the first mate.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

Uff da, that's what I get for writing updates in 6AM insomnia. I'll fix it later today.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, fixed it. The reaction to Macharius is now appropriately the first mate, and Baldridge has a little more to say to Anika. Might need a minor edit from Haval, but we should be good to go.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ogre in the Playground

Surprised anyone can post that early. I'll edit now.

21. - Top - End - #921

Lizardfolk

My new head-canon is that there's an evil hatter somewhere with a thing for feathers, who designs fashion for shady Captains. We should track that person down and kill them just to cramp Quinn's style before our next big party.

I'm also in favor of Charlabelle's people managing the Cobras, while we move the Fury's crew to bring the Fifth back up to full. Would her well-trained crew raise the Cobras' ratings? Because that'd be helpful.

Lastly, while I'm thinking about it, how many Navigators in total were the marines able to round up? Did the Cobras have any? Did Sargon have a Secundus? Did Charlabelle lay claim to the Navigator for the Claymore, if it had one/if they survived? If they're all from House Typhon and Sargon appears to be the eldest, then I don't need to question them (at least on-screen), but I want to keep track of Echo's number of prisoners.

~ Sophistemon

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Charlabelle is keeping the ones from the Claymore. The cobras had one each, and the Fifth Disputation had two, so you've got five prisoners total, including Sargon. They're not all from House Typhon, but Sargon is the oldest and most experienced of them. And the most mutated. If you do want to question the rest of them, I think the best way to do it is for you to come up with four or five questions you really want answered, and I'll summarise what you learn.

It's probably worth noting you can't actually jump to warp without one very effectively, so you'll need to distribute the ones you have and use towcables for the rest of the ships if you want to move them through warp without putting a Navis in each.

Oh and yes, Charlabelle's crew could temporarily raise the Crew Rating on the Cobras, and Charlabelle herself can of course perform one extended action per round.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2021-03-06 at 01:39 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

23. - Top - End - #923

Lizardfolk

Charlabelle is keeping the ones from the Claymore. The cobras had one each, and the Fifth Disputation had two, so you've got five prisoners total, including Sargon. They're not all from House Typhon, but Sargon is the oldest and most experienced of them. And the most mutated. If you do want to question the rest of them, I think the best way to do it is for you to come up with four or five questions you really want answered, and I'll summarise what you learn.
    Hmm. First and foremost I'll probably try to confirm Sargon's information and ask if any of the other Navis know A) where to find any other individual Castermares, B) their bases of operations, or C) their current plots. Or I might ask about Sargon theirself (I already like my creepy fishguy; gonna have a lot of fun with them between now and Calixis, when Echo turns them over to his elders for unspeakable torment) or perhaps Misson. I'll see what this first interrogation turns up first.

It's probably worth noting you can't actually jump to warp without one very effectively, so you'll need to distribute the ones you have and use towcables for the rest of the ships if you want to move them through warp without putting a Navis in each.
    I was wondering about this. We have at least one spare, the Sting's original Navigator. I know the Talon has a Secundus, Scipia, but that's obviously not helpful right now. Hopefully the Fury has more than one. At the very least, looks like we can put somebody on the Fifth. We'll have to tow the space station too, so this could get a bit complicated. It'll be funny if we end up having to give Charlabelle extra ships just because we can't get them all back to base.

Edit: and in the interest of efficiency, I've gone ahead and added something for Ravia later on. I'm not actually worried about Sargon dying; I just think it's funny how Echo respects and trusts Ravia so much, when if he knew her background, he'd be utterly horrified. And she was so happy to get some data from Kennoch when she installed his cybernetics. So, here's her chance to involve another Navis, far more mutated--as well as his tank--in...whatever it is that she's secretly working on. Her personal projects are by far the most mysterious, I think. I just though it'd be fun.

She can probably even talk Echo into letting her fully examine all his prisoners, for "safety." So long as she promises to be very careful and only take one out of stasis at a time. Just be careful not to kill any of them; Kennoch would be pretty upset.
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2021-03-06 at 02:33 AM.

~ Sophistemon

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

@Haval
    If Baldridge isn't forthcoming about what we want to know, Anika could turn him over to Hannabel for further interrogation.

25. - Top - End - #925

MindFlayer

His window to cooperate may also be closing. If the first mate gives us everything, Baldrige will have to try real hard to be useful.
    Last edited by PotatoGolem; 2021-03-06 at 03:33 PM.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

That was some threat against the first mate.

If he'll accept freedom that doesn't involve getting his ship back, which is a step too far, I could always offer him a job as a source. Not going to argue too much if Macharius is against that. If he doesn't agree I'll let Hannabel step in.

27. - Top - End - #927

Lizardfolk

Yeahhhh, that's...oof. I guess that if our surprise attack is unsuccessful, far more innocent people could die aboard the Sting, but...damn. Echo would still follow through if ordered, of course, but I hope it won't be necessary. Ice cold, Macharius. Ice cold.

~ Sophistemon

28. - Top - End - #928

Lizardfolk

Anybody have Lore skills that might be helpful here? Particularly to figure out (or confirm, if Sargon explains further) what organization the Pyrel runs with. My hunch is the Navy.

And is it Misson, or Mission? I keep seeing it done both ways. Love how his arc is shaping up, though. Will we go the "quick" way of only catching two more of his captains (assuming nobody destroys their piece of the chart when they see us coming, or has duplicates we've already found), or hunt down the whole council before we go after the captain-of-captains himself? After all, if we leave any behind, they'll have a new power vacuum to step into.
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2021-03-07 at 01:16 AM.

~ Sophistemon

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blarghy View Post
    And is it Misson, or Mission? I keep seeing it done both ways. Love how his arc is shaping up, though. Will we go the "quick" way of only catching two more of his captains (assuming nobody destroys their piece of the chart when they see us coming, or has duplicates we've already found), or hunt down the whole council before we go after the captain-of-captains himself? After all, if we leave any behind, they'll have a new power vacuum to step into.
    Yes. If it's not obvious from the colony name, he's another historical/legendary character from the Age of Piracy. His name is sometimes Mission, and sometimes Misson, and his first name is usually given as either James or Olivier... at least according to Wikipedia, which is what I use to do my historically-inspired GM research, since with stuff like this accuracy isn't exactly the greatest concern. If anything's wrong, welll... no big deal. This is an RPG, not an academic paper.

I've been kind of running with that idea of apocrypha a little bit, and not worrying too much about the spelling. It's the same man either way, and nobody in 40k can be safely considered a reliable narrator.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2021-03-07 at 01:51 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #930

Lizardfolk

Heh, fair enough. Just didn't know if you had a preference. I actually wasn't familiar with this person and his (probably-fictional) colony, but now, after a quick trip to Wikipedia, I have to wonder: are we the villains of this story? o.O

I guess it's weird where I draw my moral lines. And they are pirates, who would've killed Charlabelle and her crew if given the chance...but still. I feel a bit bad now.
    Last edited by Blarghy; 2021-03-07 at 02:06 AM.

~ Sophistemon