Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Sea of Stars - OOC II

It's a bit hard to remember that Hannabel apparently can be sophisticated and stylish, due to all the time she spends causing trouble, scaring NPCs, and cackling madly as she blasts enemy ships to pieces. =P

I'm looking forward to seeing what outfit she picks for the party--and then the moment she gets bored and sparks a diplomatic incident.
    "It was a GOOD plan, just completely impossible."

~ Sophistemon

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blarghy View Post
    We could create a trade route between Viatrames
    and The Lathes. Maybe add those other ones later but sending Tech to the lathes will pay very well and have the bonus of access to the excess Arcotech deemed of less interest.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Peril Planet

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Hannabel wants to know just how mad Max Stone is. Is he pliable or is he an idealist? Will he bend or will he break? And his is car cooler than Moore's?
    Pretty Mad. Just wait till you see his car.

Spoiler: Is anyone actually surprised?
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGolem View Post
    So here's Macharius' current thoughts:

1. Get to know each clan's deal before making any alliances. He's an Imperial noble, he loves this political stuff but is always expecting to be betrayed.
    2. Current mood leans toward taking control and appointing a regent. That means winning the race and figuring out which local he can trust the most to hold up his end of the bargain.

As to 2, I'm assuming none of the PCs want to sit out the next chapter as regents of some backwater? That's several months of not playing. Realistically, Macharius has reservations about bringing Hannabel and Felidae to a formal event, but he's not very likely to leave them in charge of a planet either (especially not Felidae).
    I would assume it would not be a PC you made official regent, unless somebody wanted to retire their character. There are rules for generating NPC regents somewhere in Stars of Iniquity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    My plan would still be to find - or manufacture - some claim to the Urussalin name, and take over this, and all other, holdings. Potentially inserting Felidae, simply because her true bloodline is conveniently hard to trace, having spent 10000 years in a freezer.

No reason we couldn't do both, of course: Insert a regent now, and take our time figuring out how to make a claim for the Urussalin name =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    Yeah, can't say she isn't related. Maybe we should find out how old their warrent is. If that actually works though, doesn't that mean Felidae technically becomes a Rogue Trader? At least in official terms.

Any regent can obviously run things on Felidae's behalf when she's not here.
    The same is true of all your other popsicles, incidentally. A large number of them are now part of the Sting's crew, I believe. And yes, technically 'finding' an heir would result in that person being officially elevated to the status of Rogue Trader. They would, however, be a Rogue Trader without their own ship, possessed of holdings spread across the expanse.

From an OOC perspective, I'm also starting to wonder if we could end up spreading ourselves too thin. We've got several unresolved plot hooks already. Viatrames is cool, and I'm open to revisiting it and spending time here, but we've also got Port Davis, the Terminus endeavor (maybe we could use tech and materials from Viatrames to rebuild the flagship, actually), Captain Misson (I, personally, am still quite interested in breaking up his operations; pirate hunting is a lot of fun and potentially profitable), that fish-xeno planet, and whatever new hooks we're bound to uncover at Winterscale's party.

So, I at least recommend that we look for ways to multitask. We could create a trade route between Viatrames, Port Davis, and Footfall (and ultimately Port Wander and the Imperium). We could try to use Viatrames for some points on the Terminus endeavor, or a staging ground to strike at any of Misson's bases in the Heathen Stars. That sort of thing.
    The Terminus Endeavour is specifically a meta-Endeavour. It's intended to take place over time, in the background, and as part and parcel of your ongoing adventures. Port Davis, now that it's established, is going to follow much the same pattern - operating in the background, growing more profitable over time, and maybe generating the occasional adventure hook. The official colony rules seem to require rather more input from the rogue trader than is realistic in a PbP. Mrlanglulua and Captain Misson are absolutely fair points, and you do have a handful of other hanging threads kicking around, plus Winterscale's party.

Ultimately, it's up to you what you pursue and what you don't, but since growing the Absalom dynasty and increasing your holdings and wealth are sort of the point, I advise you not to worry too much about having too many plates spinning. Trying to deal with all the hooks at once would be impossible however many there are, though finding ways to multitask is a great plan.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently on hiatus for college purposes.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Ongoing

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    The same is true of all your other popsicles, incidentally. A large number of them are now part of the Sting's crew, I believe. And yes, technically 'finding' an heir would result in that person being officially elevated to the status of Rogue Trader. They would, however, be a Rogue Trader without their own ship, possessed of holdings spread across the expanse.
    That's true, of course. But NPC's don't get to inherit things, do they? On the other hand, what's the statistical chance one of the popsicles is actually remotely related to the Urussalin?

Also, there seems to be a decent chance all those holdings are in similarly poor repair. Without substantial help, it might be a question of being elevated straight into deep, deep bankruptcy =)

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm looking forward to seeing what outfit she picks for the party--and then the moment she gets bored and sparks a diplomatic incident.
    It will be fabulous, obviously.

Pretty Mad. Just wait till you see his car.
    Last of the V8's, eh?

6. - Top - End - #126

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    ++And to more immediate concerns there is a population of Ambulls out in the wastes, such a fitting creature to grace the new beast cages++
    ++Other creatures minor as well but actual Ambulls!++
    ++We could give one to Winterscale++
    This sounds like a lot of fun, but I didn't know what Ambulls were, so I browsed a Wiki, and the results were not encouraging.

Despite Delta-level bans on their transport, many illĖinformed but ambitious groups (ranging from wealthy nobles to forbidden cults) have endeavoured to import and domesticate them as attack creatures or compound guards. Even when working with immature specimens, these attempts have always proved disastrous (often spectacularly so), usually resulting in groups of Ambulls escaping captivity to breed on their new planetary home. As a result, Ambulls have become common on many planets with desert conditions across the galaxy.
    If we (somehow manage to) stuff one in a big stasis-cage and use it as a gift or piece of art, then that's cool, but I dunno about actually trying to use them for anything, especially since I don't think any of us have Wrangling, let alone high bonuses to it. Rogue Trader may be about overcoming steep odds and making legends, but this particular matter sounds extra risky.

I'm still going to send Echo looking for a team of professional beast-wranglers (and, if I'm lucky, a new Familiar) the next time we split up to handle individual tasks. If Destro lets me, I want to try buying a crate of Webbers for the colony (and maybe some for Echo's bodyguards, perhaps even a nice one for his personal use), but the markets might not be good enough on this wasteland.

"Finally, there's.. well, they want to be called Veluminaries, bloody stupid name if you ask me, but we all just call them Lumes. Or Loonies, which fits better. They're the biggest thorn in my side, because they don't give half a damn about anything but building the biggest, fastest, meanest cars they can. They'll beg or steal whatever they can't buy, which also makes them the biggest source of raids, and the most attractive clan for thrillseekers. Big problem with them is that they don't really have a steady base of operations, so they're hard to pin down. Hell of it is, they've probably got the best maintained vehicles on the planet. They're obsessive about tinkering and maintenance. Guess it gives them something to do, when they aren't too busy pillaging."
    As for our ride, I'm tempted to suggest that we help ourselves and hurt a rival by stealing the vehicle of another big clan. But, that seems risky too. It's sure to be recognized, and aside from making an enemy, the other clans might trust us less. Or respect us more, depending on the exact culture here. It's hard to say.
    The Lumes are thieves, so, I say we rob 'em. Take their best vehicle for our own use in the race, and in the process, force them to find a lesser option at the last minute.

More broadly, I think we should still investigate for ourselves and have Macharius meet all the Clanlords personally before deciding, but, so far, an alliance between us, the Interceptors, the Rusters, and maaaaybe the Smokers, seems like it'd give us the advantage if things devolve into violence after the race. I wish we could count on the Temple's support, but we probably shouldn't bet on it.

~ Sophistemon

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still going to send Echo looking for a team of professional beast-wranglers (and, if I'm lucky, a new Familiar) the next time we split up to handle individual tasks. If Destro lets me, I want to try buying a crate of Webbers for the colony (and maybe some for Echo's bodyguards, perhaps even a nice one for his personal use), but the markets might not be good enough on this wasteland.
    You're welcome to try, as the place does have a market. Everything except vehicles is two steps more rare, though. Webbers are Rare normally, so that makes them Extremely Rare here.

Vehicles, incidentally, are two steps more common here, but only come in Poor Craftsmanship versions.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ok, so it seems like the Interceptors and Rusters are the best of the bunch. I agree though, we need to meet them all.

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Also, there seems to be a decent chance all those holdings are in similarly poor repair. Without substantial help, it might be a question of being elevated straight into deep, deep bankruptcy =)
    I imagine there's a lot of very long running property disputes. 40k lawyers are probably scary.

I also had to google Ambulls and now have to share this

Spoiler
    Show

'On Necromunda, they apparently like to make robotic versions of the Ambull called Ambots (or if you want to be technical, "Luther Pattern Excavation Automata"). The Ambull's brain is placed inside a mechanical body intended for mining purposes and then fitted with restraining mechanisms to keep its violent temper in check. Of course, the more creative thinking Hive Gangers found a new use for the hulking Ambot after figuring out how to remove its restraints; namely as a nigh unstoppable killing machine. Given its powerful tunnelling claws with built-in meltaguns, it's as much of a force to be reckoned with as its fleshy counterpart. For Godís sake AdMech! If normal humans can legally mass produce **** like this, where the **** are our endless armies of killing machine-cyborg-gorilla-bug monsters for the Imperial Guard? Imagine a hive dedicated to producing weaponized ambots...now put those bots against Tyranids and Orks and Chaos.'

10. - Top - End - #130

Lizardfolk

Vehicles, incidentally, are two steps more common here, but only come in Poor Craftsmanship versions.
    Then I definitely vote we steal a better one, unless Stone plans on supplying something good. I'm hardly an expert on the crafting rules, but I assume that six days isn't enough time to buy a junker and have Ravia reforge it into a winning vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    I also had to google Ambulls and now have to share this

Spoiler
    Show

'On Necromunda, they apparently like to make robotic versions of the Ambull called Ambots (or if you want to be technical, "Luther Pattern Excavation Automata"). The Ambull's brain is placed inside a mechanical body intended for mining purposes and then fitted with restraining mechanisms to keep its violent temper in check. Of course, the more creative thinking Hive Gangers found a new use for the hulking Ambot after figuring out how to remove its restraints; namely as a nigh unstoppable killing machine. Given its powerful tunnelling claws with built-in meltaguns, it's as much of a force to be reckoned with as its fleshy counterpart. For Godís sake AdMech! If normal humans can legally mass produce **** like this, where the **** are our endless armies of killing machine-cyborg-gorilla-bug monsters for the Imperial Guard? Imagine a hive dedicated to producing weaponized ambots...now put those bots against Tyranids and Orks and Chaos.'
    ...Yes. This. All of this.

~ Sophistemon

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Alright. Unless anyone has other questions for Mr. Stone, I think we can move on. Should I skip ahead to you guys unloading some goods and meeting the other clanlords?

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

12. - Top - End - #132

Lizardfolk

Go for it--although I don't think Echo will be too useful, given his lack of social skills, so he's wandering off. I suspect that the main group will take longer than I will, so afterward, I might go ahead and look for those wranglers and Webbers before rejoining the rest of you.

~ Sophistemon

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Go for it--although I don't think Echo will be too useful, given his lack of social skills, so he's wandering off. I might go ahead and look for those wranglers and Webbers before rejoining the rest of you.
    Ambling off for Ambulls?

Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Peril Planet

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro

take this virtual +1.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Better ambling after Ambulls than wombling after Wombles.

15. - Top - End - #135

Lizardfolk

Only if Felidae is feelin' froggy!

...Which she usually is. What do you say, Keen? Wanna wrestle a giant monster into a stasis-cage for the Magos's experiments?

~ Sophistemon

16. - Top - End - #136

Only if Felidae is feelin' froggy!

...Which she usually is. What do you say, Keen? Wanna wrestle a giant monster into a stasis-cage for the Magos's experiments?
    Absolutely! Fighting is about the only thing Felidae does well - but on the other hand, she really is quite exceptionally good at it =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-12-12 at 04:45 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Ok. Will move on to meeting the other clanlords shortly. That one's going to be reasonably large, and I don't have the time for it right now.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Right, moving on. You've now got all three clanlords to talk to, so go ahead and ask questions.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm disappointed. I expected the Smokers to turn up on modified jet skis! At least tell me there leader answers to "the Deacon".

20. - Top - End - #140

Drinking, because politics. I'll try and get a post up tonight.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Re dropping Asteroids onto things

Spoiler
    Show

Rocks are NOT Ďfreeí, citizen.

Firstly, you must manoeuvre the Emperorís naval vessel within the asteroid belt, almost assuredly sustaining damage to the Emperorís shipís paint from micrometeoroids, while expending the Emperorís fuel.

Then the Tech Priests must inspect the rock in question to ascertain its worthiness to do the Emperorís bidding. Should it pass muster, the Emperorís Servitors must use the Emperorís auto-scrapers and melta-cutters to prepare the potential ordinance for movement. Finally, the Tech Priests finished, the Emperorís officers may begin manoeuvring the Emperorís warship to abut the asteroid at the prepared face (expending yet more of the Emperorís fuel), and then begin boosting the stone towards the offensive planet.

After a few days of expending a prodigious amount of the Emperorís fuel to accelerate the asteroid into an orbit more fitting to the Emperorís desires, the Emperorís ship may then return to the planet via superluminous warp travel and await the arrival of the stone, still many weeks (or months) away.

After twiddling away the Emperorís time and eating the Emperorís food in the wasteful pursuit of making sure that the Emperorís enemies do not launch a deflection mission, they may finally watch the ordinance impact the planet (assuming that the Emperorís ship does not need to attempt any last-minute course correction upon the rock, using yet more of the Emperorís fuel).

Given a typical (class Bravo-CVII) system, we have the following:
    Two months, O&M, Titan class warship: 4.2 Million Imperials
    Two months, rations, crew of same: 0.2 MI
    Two months, Tech Priest pastor: 1.7 MI
    Two months, Servitor parish: 0.3 MI
    Paint, Titan class warship: 2.5 MI
    Dihydrogen peroxide fuel: 0.9 MI

Total: 9.8 MI

Contrasted with the following:
    5 warheads, magna-melta: 2.5 MI
    One day, O&M, Titan class warship: 0.3 MI
    One day, rations, crew of same: 0.0 MI
    Dihydrogen peroxide fuel: 0.1 MI

Total: 2.9 MI

Given the same result with under one third of the cost, the Emperor will have saved a massive amount of His most sacred money and almost a full month of time, during which His warship may be bombarding an entirely different planet.

The Emperor, through this Ė His Office of Imperial Outlays Ė hereby orders you to attend one (1) week of therapeutic accountancy training/penance. Please report to Areicon IV, Imperial City, Administratum Building CXXI, Room 1456, where you are to sit in the BLUE chair.

For the Emperor,
    Bursarius Tenathis,
    Purser Level XI,
    Imperial Office of Outlays
    Last edited by Leon; 2019-12-12 at 10:53 PM.

Peril Planet

Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro

take this virtual +1.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

While I do love that post, bombarding a planet with fusion warheads is slightly different from dropping frozen water on it.

Also, jet skis are not practical in the desert. They have ATVs instead.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

They could put treads on the jet skis!

As for asteroids vs. fusion warheads... Somehow randomly dropping asteroids on the planetary surface doesn't seem like the safest way to terraform the place. Probably has a fairly good chance of messing things up more than it'd help.

24. - Top - End - #144

They could put treads on the jet skis!

As for asteroids vs. fusion warheads... Somehow randomly dropping asteroids on the planetary surface doesn't seem like the safest way to terraform the place. Probably has a fairly good chance of messing things up more than it'd help.
    I ... don't recall saying anything about randomly. Rather, I think I said aim for some uninhabited piece of desert. While it is rocket science, it can be done accurately today - it shouldn't mysteriously be getting harder during the next 40000 years. But I realise 40k is meant to be dark and edgy, and we're supposed to ignore all the obvious positive applications of clearly extant technology.

25. - Top - End - #145

Seems like the sort of thing that would be easy to imagine if you have spaceships. Even if it makes the administratum mad at you. Anika was just impressed at the ambition.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Maybe so. In which case, why isn't everyone doing it already? More importantly, why would we waste any resources on this place when there are bound to be more hospitable planets we can claim instead.

27. - Top - End - #147

Maybe so. In which case, why isn't everyone doing it already? More importantly, why would we waste any resources on this place when there are bound to be more hospitable planets we can claim instead.
    Well, the real reason is that Destro put it here for a reason, and that - generally - investment is rewarded. This is a narrative, after all, not real life.

But I think you assume too much. Are there more hospitable planets? As I recall, we found one that was frozen solid, and turned it into a productive waterworld. Now we've found a desert, and suddenly you balk at turning it into a green garden? Why?

I think a big part of 40k is that there aren't that many pleasant planets. They're mostly hellholes all around. So is this one. It's also part of 40k that technology isn't doing what it should be doing. The 40k universe - by rights - should be a post scarcity society akin to Star Trek. The story of the endlessly toiling masses is inane in a world where servitors and robots would long ago have taken over that particular role. But 40k bends way out of shape to be dark and edgy, and I suppose that's fair.

But adding water to this planet - if water and space industry is available - really shouldn't be a big challenge.

But clearly the fun ends instantly if Destro informs us there is no convenient ring of huge chunks of water just floating around out there in space.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

leave it to me to overthink setting up a world that's an excuse for Mad Max deathraces. Here's a peek behind the metaphorical GM screen:

Life needs water, and so while there isn't water in the form of frozen asteroids, the planet does have water - it's just all locked up in aquifers under the ground, and you have to drill to get at it. Fresh water is one of the things frequently stolen by raiders. Why isn't anyone else exploiting it? Well, it's far - I purposefully selected a location off in the far end of the expanse, a good distance away from much else of consequence, and not in the heavily trafficked areas. There needed to be a reason for it to be originally settled - archeotech - and a reason that nobody has tried to lay claim to it since - enter bureaucracy, and bury the remaining archeotech.

One way or another, of course, the ultimate reason is 'I made it this way.' I'm running a game, and one of my functions in that role is providing fun environments for you guys to interact with. You are free to interact with those environments in whichever way you so choose - if you want to uplift this place and turn it into a garden world by establishing enormous drills and pumping groundwater into the atmosphere, you can totally do that. If you want to leave it a desert hellhole, and just dig around for the archeotech, you can do that too. If you want to buy what you came for and get out, you'll have to negotiate the series of obstacles I put in the way, but you can do that. There's probably other ways I haven't even thought of for you to turn a profit off your trip out here.

I don't think it's pulling the curtain back too far to say that I'm not likely to put out a 'trap' option, and then laugh at you for trying to exploit it. If you fail, it'll be due to bad decision making or the dice turning against you, not because winning was impossible.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

29. - Top - End - #149

Moisture pumps(That's from Rimworld)!

The real trick is to not pump the water up, and pour it out. That's doing it wrong. What you want to do is locate an aquifer, dig away top soil, roll out acres of semipermeable plastic, create a nice grid of tubing for your water, replace the top soil - then start pumping. Not exposing the water to evaporation while slowing the speed at which it seeps back down is key.

It's more labor intensive than regular farming, because you can't roll giant harvesters across your fields without risking damage to the pastic, and it's expensive to replace - obviously - in both time, harvest lost, materials, manpower, and so on.

On the other hand, one of the main staples of 40k is the hive world, with populations of many billions of people and entirely incapable of being selfsustaining. So ... food production really should be very, very profitable.

On a sidenote, since transporting incomprehensible amounts of food across space, obviously spacetravel is extremely common - and not as the source material would have us accept, extremely rare.

Don't mind me. I find suspension of disbelief in 40k to be straining, no matter how much I love the system, and ... well, parts of the fluff =)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Hi guys. Currently only have anything from Hannabel. I'm guessing it's just the holidays keeping you all busy? It's a hectic time of year, for sure. Could I just get a sound-off, so I know none of you have mysteriously vanished?

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games: